Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too early to talk about VR?

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
The first official retail version of VR has sold out and exceeded manufacturers expectations AND has overwhelmingly positive reviews from many journalism sites.

Gear VR is what I speak of

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2015
    I would like to know what you expect to get out of VR?Then i can better answer your question.
    To me personally we are still several years away from it being a worthwhile venture.Just like cell phones any new gimmick will likely sell but doesn't make it a needed or even good product.

Like what exactly do you think these VR sets are going to do to make our game better adding in a lot extra cost and likely more resources as well.Last thing i want to do is add any kind of goofy gadget to my head,i do not consider that a good idea at all.
    We already have enough tools without some headset to create a virtual world and developers are not doing it,so what makes us think they are going to do it now?What developers are doing is creating STATIC worlds,a headset is not going to change that kind of weak game development at all.

I'll tell you what i see happening is we will get VERY weak ,cheap games using this.I would expect something like a space game because those games use very low end graphics,just a bunch of space textures.Then they will extend the view into a more 3d view with headsets allowing the view to appear more 3d.Basically i do not see any game being any better for it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    @Wizardry So you don't wear a headset? If you do, is it not surround sound? These headset tools improve the immersion quite a bit. VR will be no different.

As long as each game is capable of being played without a VR  headset, then they'll do just fine.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited December 2015
    Wizardry said:
    I would like to know what you expect to get out of VR?Then i can better answer your question.
    To me personally we are still several years away from it being a worthwhile venture.Just like cell phones any new gimmick will likely sell but doesn't make it a needed or even good product.

Like what exactly do you think these VR sets are going to do to make our game better adding in a lot extra cost and likely more resources as well.Last thing i want to do is add any kind of goofy gadget to my head,i do not consider that a good idea at all.
    We already have enough tools without some headset to create a virtual world and developers are not doing it,so what makes us think they are going to do it now?What developers are doing is creating STATIC worlds,a headset is not going to change that kind of weak game development at all.

I'll tell you what i see happening is we will get VERY weak ,cheap games using this.I would expect something like a space game because those games use very low end graphics,just a bunch of space textures.Then they will extend the view into a more 3d view with headsets allowing the view to appear more 3d.Basically i do not see any game being any better for it.

having actually used VR for several Hours I can say what I am expecting is what I have already experienced but with better resolution and I, like all the reviewers of Gear VR and pretty much every review of Oculus ever written with only a few expections is that the experience awesome and ground breaking for gaming.

Does that answer you question?

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Virtual Reality headsets don't really offer much, just 3d sight. 

The success or failure of VR headsets comes with how well 3D can be used by a game. For the majority of genres, especially for PC games, it wont make a damn bit of difference so it won't be a success. There are, however, a few areas where VR will make a big difference. 

Last year (2014) I worked for a AA games studio that works on racing games. As a side project, some of the devs converted the game we were working on to be compatible with oculus rift and some of us were allowed to have a play. 

Once you'd gotten past the initial nausea, the experience was great. The view was fixed to in car cam, but if you moved your head then the camera would move. The result was a much more realistic driving experience: you had proper depth perception, you genuinely turned your head to spot the apex which resulted in better racelines etc. It was an improved gaming experience because the game type (racing) lends itself to 3d and freelook. 
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    It's going to flop, VR sux , who wants to wear more headgear? Flop , wont buy it, it's garbage. 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    It's going to flop, VR sux , who wants to wear more headgear? Flop , wont buy it, it's garbage. 
    These VR headsets are the first step towards proper virtual reality. 

Imagine wearing the headset (or a much better quality one) so that you have full 360degree view options with proper 3D. Then, imagine yourself in an exoskeleton, perhaps suspended off the floor. The exoskeleton can not only read all of your movements and convert them into in game actions, but with the servos on the suit, it can also translate ingame actions into real life responses. 

So, walking for example, you'd walk (suspended from the roof) in your exoskeleton suit and when, in game, you planted your foot on the floor, the suit's servos would prevent you from putting your foot any further down, making it actually feel like you're stepping on the world in game. 

If we can reach a point where we have full tactile, as well as visual and audio, feedback to the user combined with full user input, then we have virtual reality. Instead of playing COD sat on your couch looking at a TV, you'd strap into your exoskeleton, put on the headset and then actually feel and act like you are in the game. Wanna shoot someone? Instead of moving your thumb to aim, you'd have to move both arms to point your gun and actually squeeze the trigger. 

Thats my vision for the (far) future of gaming anyway and I hope it arrives in my lifetime. 
  • jigo86jigo86 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    edited December 2015
    SEANMCAD said:

Is it too early to talk about VR?

honestly i think ur one of the last guys doing that its already common for me to hear about it
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    SEANMCAD said:
    The first official retail version of VR has sold out and exceeded manufacturers expectations AND has overwhelmingly positive reviews from many journalism sites.

The pet rock also had a similar initial success... 

Just sayin'
    Pepeq said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The pet rock also had a similar initial success... 

Just sayin'
    Pet Rock did NOT:

Sell out
    get rave reviews from every reviewer out there
    exceeded manufactures expectations.

Virtual Reality headsets don't really offer much, just 3d sight. 

The success or failure of VR headsets comes with how well 3D can be used by a game. For the majority of genres, especially for PC games, it wont make a damn bit of difference so it won't be a success. There are, however, a few areas where VR will make a big difference. 

Last year (2014) I worked for a AA games studio that works on racing games. As a side project, some of the devs converted the game we were working on to be compatible with oculus rift and some of us were allowed to have a play. 

Once you'd gotten past the initial nausea, the experience was great. The view was fixed to in car cam, but if you moved your head then the camera would move. The result was a much more realistic driving experience: you had proper depth perception, you genuinely turned your head to spot the apex which resulted in better racelines etc. It was an improved gaming experience because the game type (racing) lends itself to 3d and freelook. 
    I dont completely agree with your first assessment. In fact, I think there is a good chance that VR will be a larger success in the TV and Movie industry.

Want to watch a movie on a screen larger than your entire room? lay on the couch, put on the VR headset done. uncomfortable with your laying down postion and want to turn? ok you can do that too.

Oh...you want to know what the Grand Canyon looks like in real life? ok well you could go there..or...VR headset.

I am not saying it WILL be more succesful in movies and TV but I am saying there is a chance

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I look at these first VR head sets like those old first televisions, its only going to get better to the point where they will look like a pair of sunglasses or even some contact lenses.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Troll 1/10.

Op, I play Alien Isolation, huge alien lore fan.
    I did the Nightmare campaign like once/2 weeks.

After that got boring I received a Oculus MK2 for loan from a friend.

It added a whole new dimension and the game was 10x more realistic, like I was really in there with the alien.

VR is the future for gaming, in my case a horror game.

I do think for MMO gaming it is too soon.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ZombaisZombais Member UncommonPosts: 14
    My brother has a Gear VR. So far its been an interesting toy to mess around with but no serious gaming. Some cool 3d videos and pictures (some of the surreal created images are really neat to look at). The thing we've all had the most fun with is actually a bomb defusing game that forces you to work with other people not wearing one (Don't stop talking or you explode - or something is the name). 

So far playing with the actual DK2 Rift it definitely doesn't make me a better gamer, but it does change the feel of the game a lot where, if I can get over the near instant feeling of needing to puke, I feel it will do huge things for immersion. I would totally get one for playing something like Skyrim where I can roam around and look about and see some beautiful created world, or like someone else said racing/driving games it works amazing for.

I think it will take a few iterations of it and some more advancement of the tech for it to blow up really huge though, but the potential is there.
    Regarding AAA games in VR

Side Note: The Gear VR is not really for gaming although its possible. Its plan is similar to what all mobile devices and tables are used for but in a VR mode.

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    All mobile device stuff is garbage, in my book.  That said, I'm quite excited and ready for the release of the real VR stuff.

I think alot of how great they turn out depends on the game developers themselves, though.  That's the thing to remember.  It's like motion control on the Wii and PS3, etc.  It's up to the game designers to use it to its fullest potential.
    edited December 2015
    Lokero said:
    All mobile device stuff is garbage, in my book.  That said, I'm quite excited and ready for the release of the real VR stuff.

I think alot of how great they turn out depends on the game developers themselves, though.  That's the thing to remember.  It's like motion control on the Wii and PS3, etc.  It's up to the game designers to use it to its fullest potential.
    I dont have plans to get Gear VR but what I do like about it is that its easy to setup, fewer wires and I would use it for one purpose

MOVIES  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

back in the early 2000s I spent around $2,000 on a home entertainment center. The VR will have a larger screen and depending on my audio solution a better sound AND I can take it anywhere and sit anyhow