Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restarting Everquest from scratch. 6 years till expected release. Why this franchise won't go away

1235»

Comments

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,086
    The devs are the ones who deliver. Let the past be past.
    What have these devs (one currently working on EQN) delivered?

We can only judge them by what they've done or are doing. Little to go on either way.

These conversations aren't going to go anywhere. You can't prove EQN will ever exist or be amazing, nor can any prove it won't.

For me, the AI is the only real reason to play the game unless you are fine with another mediocre PVE game that lacks challenge. Pretty much everything beyond the AI and what they've shown of Landmark points to EQN being a very casual, accessible, everyone is a winner experience.

Time and time again, games have tried and proven that they might as well play WoW. The few with decent numbers seem to be relying on a franchise (FFXIV, ESO, SWTOR, GW2) and or a bit of PVP. Remove the IP and I doubt they'd all be as nearly as possible or even still going. Maybe the EQ name will be enough to keep a blah game a float, but I'd hope it is more than that.

While I still have some hope that they'll pull off their hyped up AI, the signs aren't positive.

None of the SOE/DB games have AI worth a damn, so not sure where the team has worked before or if they even have much experience. 

Dave Mark's contract was "terminated" back in Feb 14, but that doesn't have to me he left on bad terms, but guess the term seems odd. Believe he is/was working on GW2, but HOT didn't seem to have any improvements but I don't follow the game closely.

Storybricks is obviously gone, but through all the hype, they along with SOE never showed anything beyond what they'd originally shown 3-4 years ago prior to working on EQN. Not to mention no one wanted them or their tech enough to scoop them up once SOE was done with them. Maybe all the efforts they made were exclusive to EQN as they said their work was co-owned, but Storybricks was supposed to be tech any company to license and work with, not only tailor made. 

What's strange is that while wanting to purchase SOE, they also wanted to go after 38 Studios and combine that with EQN. Not sure what that says about the efforts made beyond the AI on EQN.

Oh well, until a challenging PVE game comes out, I'll stick to the more PVP/Sandbox ones. Luckily several are in the works.
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    They haven't made an mmo in 11 years. You do realize different games in the company have different budgets right? So to compare Daybreak as a whole to what Everquest Next developement is doing is ridiculous. They can be a entirely different team. I have a friend (very close one) in the industry that works for EA. What SOE did which MANY other game companies didn't do is retain lots of its old loyal employees. He says its wiser for people to move and shift from one game to the next better for the company and better for the employed. What Daybreak did was a spawn of corporate culture and was detrimental to the projects they worked on. You have to trim the fat. Landmark was a complete failure and seniority devs felt the blade on that one. I guarentee you this team they have now is much better than the previous team that got let go with the exception of Brasse as CM and SMedley. This vote of no confidence is laughable at the sight of those who follow this game more closely than you think. The devs are the ones who deliver. Let the past be past.

Who hasn't made an MMO in 11 years?  Free Realms, The Agency, DC Universe, etc.  I have no idea what you are implying here.

Perhaps you were not aware how much interchanging of staff there was between projects at SOE.  There really isn't "teams" as you put it.  Sometimes entire teams were pulled off their project and put to work on something else.  Sometimes company wide efffertos would be put into one project. 

Also it sounds like you think this recent staff cut was a one time thing.  Truth is that prior to being sold SOE went through multiple rounds of deep staff cuts.  From somewhere around 800+ employees at its height to the roughly 100 it is now.  That is no trimming the fat.   That is almost 90% of the company GONE.  There is just no possible way to cut that deep and come out better, especially when the overall workload has not decreased.

It is just pure fantasy to guarantee the remaining employees are better off after such deep cuts.

You say Landmark was a complete failure as if it was some different project run by a different team with a different codebase running on different servers.  Landmark is effectively EQN.  It was originally called Everquest Next:Landmark..  Same codebase, same development team, Same server.  The EQN team delivered a failure, in your words at least.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
     DBG will make EQN through CN. It's the only way CN will actually get a real return on their investment.
  • lovelyfantasylovelyfantasy Member UncommonPosts: 5
    An Everquest game WILL be made. Whether it is NEXT or not. This is inevitable as if its going to rain on the earth even the deserts get rain though sparesly. My prediction is, if it gets started from scratch, there wasn't much assets to throw away anyway. The Research and developement would have paid off. The engine and tech will have been "reborn" much fitted for it's eventual release in 2020. Everquest and Everquest 2 was set for a 15-30 year plan with expansions pumping out and improvements made. It would be wise for Daybreak to release another EQ mmo now but if not now then somewhere 6-9 years down the line. But they will i can sense this franchise not going away...

We have to see farther than what the next year or bi annual thinking can bring. The EQ brand is all Daybreak has in the mmorpg scope being Daybreak's only fantasy mmo. Could they actually create another franchise after spending so much time putting it into Everquest? 

They're in the process of making other games as well, not to mention currently profiting off of others that they've released since EQ2. They just know how much they will make with EQNext what with the hype still going on from the first two games that after all this time their old fans will go for it no matter what, and if they were to scrap it at this point, it would just upset a lot of those fans that play their other non EQ games. 
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    An Everquest game WILL be made. Whether it is NEXT or not. This is inevitable as if its going to rain on the earth even the deserts get rain though sparesly. My prediction is, if it gets started from scratch, there wasn't much assets to throw away anyway. The Research and developement would have paid off. The engine and tech will have been "reborn" much fitted for it's eventual release in 2020. Everquest and Everquest 2 was set for a 15-30 year plan with expansions pumping out and improvements made. It would be wise for Daybreak to release another EQ mmo now but if not now then somewhere 6-9 years down the line. But they will i can sense this franchise not going away...

We have to see farther than what the next year or bi annual thinking can bring. The EQ brand is all Daybreak has in the mmorpg scope being Daybreak's only fantasy mmo. Could they actually create another franchise after spending so much time putting it into Everquest? 

They're in the process of making other games as well, not to mention currently profiting off of others that they've released since EQ2. They just know how much they will make with EQNext what with the hype still going on from the first two games that after all this time their old fans will go for it no matter what, and if they were to scrap it at this point, it would just upset a lot of those fans that play their other non EQ games. 
    You're right. I think a lot of people would play a new Daybreak fantasy mmo seeing how many of H1Z1's fans are coming from PS2 up until when it becomes part of the all access plan.