Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Players' Choice 2015 - Most Anticipated Awards at MMORPG.com

Comments

• IRandomIRandom Member UncommonPosts: 15
    What a horrible poll...
    1) Where is "Paragon", the MOBA from Epic Games which will be coming out next year???
    2) I know that developers of H1Z1 are desperately spending a lot of money on its promotion on many sites and social media, however it's NOT an RPG. It's a "survival" third-person shooter game. Same goes for "The Division". Come on now...
  • serge512serge512 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    jmcdermottuk said:
    Bad year incoming. Half the listed MMO's aren't real MMO's and the ones that are look pretty meh. I don't play MOBA's so no vote in those two categories. Might have been interesting if a none of the above option was available to keep track of how many of us are unimpressed with what's coming.

For RPG's I went with ME: Andromeda. Even though it's not going to feel like ME without Shepard I'm curious to see what they do with it.

so true!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    DMKano said:
    Haha LoL and Dota2 are what 100milion player play - but the MOBA genre has more to offer than that.

FPS MOBAs, turn based MOBAs, strategy MOBAs - there's a lot more to come.

The key thing is to NOT make another game that is like LoL/Dota2 - nobody wants to play that, because masses are already perfectly content playing LoL and Dota2

Just because masses believe/like/do/want something doesn't mean it doesn't suck. Gaming industry like many other things on the planet is taking the same route as fast food and Hollywood has taken - cheap short excitements. As a former eSports pro I even find their dominance over eSports very lame. It's like I have gone to another planet where licking has replaced UFC. 

Just to diffuse the future comments such as "you haven't played so you don't know" I have played them. I did an unranked to diamond so quick that I had to face many an accusation and LP gain limitation. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    CU has just as much chance of launching in 2016 as Crowfall. Sorry to burst that bubble. It's been in development longer, has more progress, and the cadence of updates is faster.
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    DMKano said:

Ok, so you were being facetious in your prior comment since those 100 million plus aren't playing a 'genre'; they're basically playing one game period (and have been shown they are unwilling to move to other MOBAs).

I would continue to argue the MOBA 'genre' sucks. 
    Haha LoL and Dota2 are what 100milion player play - but the MOBA genre has more to offer than that.

FPS MOBAs, turn based MOBAs, strategy MOBAs - there's a lot more to come.

The key thing is to NOT make another game that is like LoL/Dota2 - nobody wants to play that.

Well, by definition, you can't really have a FPS 'MOBA' and MOBAs already are 'strategy' games since they are a strategy sub-genre.

Can you clarify what you mean by saying "By definition, you can't have a FPS MOBA" 
    Simple...you can't have a 'FPS MOBA' since FPS is already a sub-genre (shooter genre).  MOBA's are simply a sub-genre of the RTS genre.

So it simply wouldn't make any sense to have a First-Person Shooter that is also a Real-Time Strategy game; more specifically Mobile Online Battle Arena.

A FPS with some sort of strategy elements is still simply a FPS.  You can't really have a FPS/MOBA hybrid all in one.  Doesn't make sense.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

So what is Paladins?
    A shooter with strategy elements and doesn't fit the 'MOBA' definition.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Why not?
    Read into the origins of MOBAs. They are sub-genres of RTS.  Another term for MOBA is ARTS (Action Real Time Strategy).

Paladins is a FPS...FPS genre existed long before MOBAs.

Why would you think it is a MOBA?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    None of these.
    I was just wondering your meaning in saying "by definition" since there does not seem to be any one definition to explain what a MOBA is. Other than not having little cpu controlled minions like SMITE does Paladins plays almost the same just from a first person view instead of a third. I understand what you are saying I just have gotten many different "definitions" as to what a MOBA really is.    
    Somehow someone tacked on 'MOBA' when discussing Paladins in some article because the developer also made SMITE.

I haven't even seen the developer describe it as a 'MOBA'.  It's a FPS with games like Team Fortress 2 as it's inspiration (not DOTA, LOL or even SMITE).
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Command N Conquer was a sort of moba and where i believe Blizzard copied it to make Starcraft.

CnC goes back to 1995 so i would hardly say fps's were around long before moba's.Quake was likely the first serious fps in around 1996.

Moba's are imo ONLY popular because of the Esport tag and money involved from sponsors.All i see is players frantically racing for rank just like in all Esport games,it hardly seems at all about the FUN value.

None the less i do see the popularity and good reason to have a best of Moba category even though i despise the genre lol.I do however also see a lot of similarities with my fave form of fps pvp.Arenas are basically the same as moba laneways,they have halls however fps arena type games have far more diversity in weapon choices and movement options including Zaxis which moba's do not have.

That is why Paragon Epic's new moba is goigng to be far more skillful and just better all around than these static lane way moba's and yet Paragon didn't make the list and Paladins did lmao.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Wizardry said:
    Command N Conquer was a sort of moba and where i believe Blizzard copied it to make Starcraft.

CnC goes back to 1995 so i would hardly say fps's were around long before moba's.Quake was likely the first serious fps in around 1996.

Moba's are imo ONLY popular because of the Esport tag and money involved from sponsors.All i see is players frantically racing for rank just like in all Esport games,it hardly seems at all about the FUN value.

None the less i do see the popularity and good reason to have a best of Moba category even though i despise the genre lol.I do however also see a lot of similarities with my fave form of fps pvp.Arenas are basically the same as moba laneways,they have halls however fps arena type games have far more diversity in weapon choices and movement options including Zaxis which moba's do not have.

That is why Paragon Epic's new moba is goigng to be far more skillful and just better all around than these static lane way moba's and yet Paragon didn't make the list and Paladins did lmao.
    MOBAs are simply RTS games with all of the action elements and none of the resource management/building aspects.

It's erroneous to label all these upcoming games as 'MOBAs' just because there may be a few superficial similarities.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited December 2015
    I'm surprised Paragon isn't on the list, the new MOBA from Epic Games, it's coming early in 2016 apparently. I have no idea about the gameplay but it looks like it will push the visuals of MOBAs at least.

Camelot Unchained and Black Desert are the MMORPG's I have the highest hopes for right now.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    edited December 2015
    I would have voted for Camelot Unchained if it were listed. :) Kudos to MJ for the explanation post though. :)
    Post edited by Ice-Queen on

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Star Citizen?
  • ToothmanToothman Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Iselin said:

Astraeis said:
    No anticipation on this side whatsoever.

Anyone not anticipating Cyberpunk 2077 should have their CRPG gaming license revoked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

Sorry that didn't do a thing for me.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    MMO: The Division. Being Ubisoft I'm pretty sure they will screw it up somehow and it will be dead within 6-12 months, but should at least be fun and a bit different in the mean time.

RPG: Kingdom Hearts 3. Maybe it's just that there hasn't been a core KH game is so long, but I'm really interested to see what they do with this one.

MOBA: Not interested.

If they make it for 2016: Cyberpunk 2077.
  • TeamUpTeamUp Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Marvel Heroes 2016 please,

Hey, they changed their name so it is like a new game.

What, what?
  • Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    orbitxo said:
    i wanted so badly to vote for warhammers- i...i...i just couldnt.

i went with the division

sad to see no new mmos rolling in- i guess its an end to an era.

Both Division and Warhammer are very underrated, they promise much more than what others already showed.
  • AntiocheAntioche Member UncommonPosts: 132
    My vote is for Camelot Unchained even though it isn't on the list. It is the only mmo that is remotely interesting to me at this point.

It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Antioche