Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The race thing......again.

jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
You know, I want the world to get better.

Like many of you I am tired of hearing about "race" this and "race" that and "race, race, race".

But white people........yall gotta do better.

Submitted for your approval, the very site that we are on.  It's like the wonderful world of white people sometimes.

I mean seriously, do you guys not have any feelings at all?  Do you really not consider anyone else while creating these painstakingly graphical pieces of artwork that must take hours to complete?  Where is the outrage?  Where even are the questions about what I am about to present? 

You can not let this stuff pass or continue and ever hope for things to get better or change.

Seriously.  Check it out.  MageRealm add.  They got Dark Elves, Demons, fucking PANDAS!!!  Fire Demons, and of course, the white girl.

And white dudes you should know right here that this is NOT just about race but about the entire thought process behind the people who are making these games.  They think that YOU are that guy and that's why they produce artwork that they think YOU, with your racist, sexist, woman objectifying self, are going to enjoy.

White women, same thing.  They think that you are all ho-buckets.  Every woman is, in her deepest desires, a scantily clad, brown hair and blue eyes (because we all know that is the hottest), or white girl white hair or Drow girl white hair, because BLUE is sexier than any other color of the human spectrum other than reddish pink.  NO junk in the trunk.  NO heavyset.  NO amazonians, NO manly looking women.  Just heat.  Because that's all you are about.  Trying to forget that you are overwieght, pear shaped, too skinny, too tall, whatever you are that we men generally don't have a big issue with.

Crowfall was selected as the most anticipated game of the coming year.  I popped over there to take a look.  WHITE PEOPLE LOL.

White people, white centaurs, dark elves with white hair, I have no idea what that is in the background with the wings but I know that whatever it is, it's a blond LOL

Seriously, I am not making this shit up.  It's ridiculous.

Any picture of Star Wars on this website only feature guys wearing masks.  This is EVEN THOUGH...........

Devillian ad - White Elf, blue eyes.

Just go down the list of all the games to download and play today and check it out. 

It's pretty much White Person in Wonderland, complete, in some instances, with the rabbit, who is also......of course, white.

Yall gotta do better white people, is all I'm saying.

You can't complain that people think that you are racist when you allow people to present you as folk who would rather hang out with fucking PANDA'S rather than ANYONE of ANY different race.

Comments

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Honorable mention to games like Everquest (1 anyway) Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online that were not afraid and did not fail.  We still have a long, LONG, way to go though.

I say to toss those games a look (if you haven't) if for no other reason than they took the time to, at least, try and acknowledge EVERYONE they were trying to milk money out of.

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Are you talking about the ads or games themselves?

Because I can't remember playing any MMORPG and not be able to create a character with any color of skin. 
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
  • NarishmaNarishma Member UncommonPosts: 74
    He must be trolling, this post is ridiculous.
    Talking about the ads, the reviews, I see a lot of reviews where during character creation they completely skip over the option of whether you will be allowed to change the skin tone or other characteristics of the character to suit your tastes or desires.  It's like, unless you are white, you have to take a leap of faith just to know if you are going to be able to do that in a lot of games.

Look, I'm not trying to force it.  I'm just saying.  Freaking PANDA's LOL.  There are less Panda's in the world than their are of any other race of people and yet Panda's are getting more play they all the other races combined.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I dont understand.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

^^^  LOL

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    There is no way for "the white guy" to win this one. 

If media is produced by white people, be it art, film or games, and it contains primarily white people, they're called racist for not including more people of colour. However, if those same people do include people of colour and anything remotely bad happens to them, or one of them plays a villian, they're still called racist. 

The solution is to make the workforce behind games more diverse. A diverse workforce produces a more diverse game without running into the pitfall of one race trying to imagine what other races want to see. 
    Narishma said:

Please explain to me how my post is ridiculous and how, in fact, it is not YOU that are trolling by coming in here just to call me ridiculous without providing any kind of example of why in the process?

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

It's interesting that you assume "white" people made these ads, for games likely made by people that aren't "white".

I think they call that prejudice, unless you have proof that the entire collection of "white" people are responsible for this.

Thanks, you're no better than the strawman you've dreamed up to justify your own racism.
    Good try but at no point did I make any such assumption.

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    so what..white is supreme race
    There is no way for "the white guy" to win this one. 

If media is produced by white people, be it art, film or games, and it contains primarily white people, they're called racist for not including more people of colour. However, if those same people do include people of colour and anything remotely bad happens to them, or one of them plays a villian, they're still called racist. 

The solution is to make the workforce behind games more diverse. A diverse workforce produces a more diverse game without running into the pitfall of one race trying to imagine what other races want to see. 
    Not a bad theory or solution bro, but honestly, I don't even need all that.  All I'm asking for, all I've ever asked for was a little bit of consideration.  I mean, I manage to make it through my day being considerate to people of all walks of life every day.  I just don't see how or why it is so hard for others to do the same you know?

• Gaming.Rocks2Gaming.Rocks2 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    edited December 2015
    jesad said:
    Talking about the ads, the reviews, I see a lot of reviews where during character creation they completely skip over the option of whether you will be allowed to change the skin tone or other characteristics of the character to suit your tastes or desires.  It's like, unless you are white, you have to take a leap of faith just to know if you are going to be able to do that in a lot of games.

Look, I'm not trying to force it.  I'm just saying.  Freaking PANDA's LOL.  There are less Panda's in the world than their are of any other race of people and yet Panda's are getting more play they all the other races combined.
    Games consider skins of all color as human, you can choose whatever skin color you want. I'm not sure what do you mean by them not considering other races. So a game should have White, Yellow, Brown, Black, etc. as race? Isn't that kinda racist?

And so? There are less dragons, less vampires, less zombies, less orcs, etc. than any other race of people as well. 
    Post edited by Gaming.Rocks2 on
    Gaming Rocks next gen. community for last gen. gamers launching soon. 
    And you see how they are coming in here.  One calls me ridiculous without pointing out how or why, the other tries to flip it on me and call me the racist.  So what are you supposed to think when that element is out there?

Stizzled said:
    jesad said:
    Narishma said:

Please explain to me how my post is ridiculous and how, in fact, it is not YOU that are trolling by coming in here just to call me ridiculous without providing any kind of example of why in the process?
    Twice you've brought up Pandas, a completely different species, in a discussion about skin color. That's a little ridiculous.

Or, how about your ridiculous assumption that most of the games and ads your complaining about are made by white people? 99% of the ads on this site are for games made in Asian countries, why should white people "do better" (whatever that means) just because their artists try to target them instead of you?

You come off as a troll, or at the very least a little confused.
    I think that I've already clarified my position on the Pandas :)
    I have also already clarified the incorrect assumption that I said that white people were making all of the ads.  I said "they", you took that to mean "white people", not my point or my problem.

I am not confused in the least.  What I said was that white people need to do better by at least not just sitting around waiting for someone other than them to point out the situation, or at least by showing a little outrage at the way they are being depicted by the producers of these ads.

So with all of that explained, do you still find my point ridiculous?

jesad said:

Games consider skins of all color as human, you can choose whatever skin color you want. I'm not sure what do you mean by them not considering other races. So a game should have White, Yellow, Brown, Black, etc. as race? Isn't that kinda racist?

And so? There are less dragons, less vampires, less zombies, less orcs, etc. 
    Ahh but this is not a fact.  There have been several games that have come out in RECENT years no less that DO NOT offer all of the spectrum's of color that the human race represents in fact.

I will even give you an example. Age of Wushu/Wulin will not allow a person to adjust their skin tone any darker than that of a white person even though Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian, and pretty much any of the Asian's I've ever met are darker than that skin tone.

You get into that game and you are a white person, unable to be differentiated from any other white person save for that fact that you are wearing Asian clothing.

So yeah, it is not factual that it's an "automatic" that if you are human you are being represented.  That's the problem here.

so what..white is supreme race
    LOL :) 

See, I got a sense of humor.

Immodium wins HAHA!!

• NarishmaNarishma Member UncommonPosts: 74
    jesad said:
    Stizzled said:
    jesad said:
    Narishma said:

Twice you've brought up Pandas, a completely different species, in a discussion about skin color. That's a little ridiculous.

Or, how about your ridiculous assumption that most of the games and ads your complaining about are made by white people? 99% of the ads on this site are for games made in Asian countries, why should white people "do better" (whatever that means) just because their artists try to target them instead of you?

I have also already clarified the incorrect assumption that I said that white people were making all of the ads.  I said "they", you took that to mean "white people", not my point or my problem.

I am not confused in the least.  What I said was that white people need to do better by at least not just sitting around waiting for someone other than them to point out the situation, or at least by showing a little outrage at the way they are being depicted by the producers of these ads.

Yes.  How are white people supposed to "do better."  Do better what?  Make better hamburgers?  You make no sense.  

I personally could care less what is in an ad.  I do not notice skin color on a cartoon character on an ad.  I guess all advertisements should feature a member of every human race smashed together in a few hundred pixels?  I don't see the problem here, other than you having an issue with white characters being depicted in artwork.
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Well I would expect 'white people' in Western RPGs just like I would expect the Japanimation characters with blue spiky hair along with numerous bizarre 'cute' things from a JRPG
    Narishma said:
    jesad said:
    Stizzled said:
    jesad said:
    Narishma said:

Yes.  How are white people supposed to "do better."  Do better what?  Make better hamburgers?  You make no sense.  

I personally could care less what is in an ad.  I do not notice skin color on a cartoon character on an ad.  I guess all advertisements should feature a member of every human race smashed together in a few hundred pixels?  I don't see the problem here, other than you having an issue with white characters being depicted in artwork.
    You do better by simply asking "Hey, why are there no ads, reviews, etc... that tell us about the options for my Asian, Black, Latino, Native American, etc.... friend from down the street."

And of they day the sad truth of the matter is that it is all being done for you, and if you don't say something about it, it isn't going to change.

The rest of us just get the uncomfortable job of having to be the ones to bring that to your attention because, as you have said, if we didn't you might never even notice.

And no, I do not need every race smashed together on the screen but check this out. 

http://gamequiche.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/crowfall_feature.jpg

(and no that dark skinned dude is not meant to represent a person of color, he is something made of stone)

vs

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UEYp1RTvllM/maxresdefault.jpg

(which still doesn't feature an actual black person but at least hits an African American/Latino mix along with an Asian representation AND some furry animals.

I mean come on, it's not like it's such an inconvenience to be considerate.  We're all humans after all.

End of the day, in the Overwatch picture, you still have a ton of different ways to be white and look cool but unlike the Crowfall picture (which was created coincidentally by an all white development team) you don't have to be some kind of sub-human, bald, stone creature (added in down with the centaurs and rats and goats and shit in this picture)

http://images.cyberimg.com/android/2015/02/27/cro3640.jpg

in order to have a darker skin tone.

And yeah, I wish I DIDN'T have to notice shit like this.  But I do because it seems like the nature of a lot of people around me to remind me that I should.

I meant "end of the day" up there where I said "And of the day" :)

• Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    jesad said:
    You know, I want the world to get better.

Like many of you I am tired of hearing about "race" this and "race" that and "race, race, race".

But white people........yall gotta do better.

Submitted for your approval, the very site that we are on.  It's like the wonderful world of white people sometimes.

I mean seriously, do you guys not have any feelings at all?  Do you really not consider anyone else while creating these painstakingly graphical pieces of artwork that must take hours to complete?  Where is the outrage?  Where even are the questions about what I am about to present? 

You can not let this stuff pass or continue and ever hope for things to get better or change.

Seriously.  Check it out.  MageRealm add.  They got Dark Elves, Demons, fucking PANDAS!!!  Fire Demons, and of course, the white girl.

And white dudes you should know right here that this is NOT just about race but about the entire thought process behind the people who are making these games.  They think that YOU are that guy and that's why they produce artwork that they think YOU, with your racist, sexist, woman objectifying self, are going to enjoy.

White women, same thing.  They think that you are all ho-buckets.  Every woman is, in her deepest desires, a scantily clad, brown hair and blue eyes (because we all know that is the hottest), or white girl white hair or Drow girl white hair, because BLUE is sexier than any other color of the human spectrum other than reddish pink.  NO junk in the trunk.  NO heavyset.  NO amazonians, NO manly looking women.  Just heat.  Because that's all you are about.  Trying to forget that you are overwieght, pear shaped, too skinny, too tall, whatever you are that we men generally don't have a big issue with.

Crowfall was selected as the most anticipated game of the coming year.  I popped over there to take a look.  WHITE PEOPLE LOL.

White people, white centaurs, dark elves with white hair, I have no idea what that is in the background with the wings but I know that whatever it is, it's a blond LOL

Seriously, I am not making this shit up.  It's ridiculous.

Any picture of Star Wars on this website only feature guys wearing masks.  This is EVEN THOUGH...........

Devillian ad - White Elf, blue eyes.

Just go down the list of all the games to download and play today and check it out. 

It's pretty much White Person in Wonderland, complete, in some instances, with the rabbit, who is also......of course, white.

Yall gotta do better white people, is all I'm saying.

You can't complain that people think that you are racist when you allow people to present you as folk who would rather hang out with fucking PANDA'S rather than ANYONE of ANY different race.
    Maybe if developers thought their target audience was black people they'd make games better suited.  At this point, the stereotype for a mmo video gamer is a white nerd with pimples.  Currently the stereotype of black people is sports and hip hop music.  Notice how many sports games specifically target black people and are loaded with hip hop music.

If having the game 'feel inclusive' to you is THAT important...  If you really can't stomach looking at the back side of a white person running through the world, you'd very likely have much more luck telling the developers about it than the players them self.  Us players, as stereotyped, white mostly, with pimples, don't really look at things such as race when we select our games.  Sometimes we make a white person, an asian person, sometimes a black person if it's available, it's all about creating an online character for role playing purposes, not trying to replicate our self in the game.

Remember the vast majority of these games are developed by asian people, not white people.  In asia, there's nobody running around accusing everyone of racism every time a photo opp is missing the token minority. So, that being said, they are purely business driven, and they figure the vast majority of mmo video gamers are asian in asia, and white in the USA.
    Marketing

Demographics

And "white" people aren't the only ones targeted by it.  I challenge you to research how this is handled in countries where the majority of people are of another color.

It's like you think "white" people should all come together at once and put a stop to this business tactic, for the sake of those under represented.
    Well fuck dude, I absolutely do!  Look!  It's not like I'm just over here talking to you guys about this kind of stuff.  I am all over the place talking to all kinds of people about all kinds of stuff.  Dude, there are people out there that are SERIOUSLY NOT SMART who are operating on some SERIOUSLY BAD INFORMATION, and it is being reinforced by EXACTLY the kind of stuff we are talking about RIGHT NOW.

Keep in mind, I started this whole thing by saying that I want things to get BETTER.  Right now they are not better (and I'll stop doing that caps thing now because that was silly but I was kind of upset LOL).  But you know, while I'm trying to tell those folks they don't necessarily have to listen to guy B and what he thinks should be happening because of situation whatever, I got this kind of silliness over here reinforcing exactly the kind of stuff that guy B is telling the uneducated on the other side.

So yeah, instead of getting all up in your feelings because someone is telling you that you are not 100% innocent within the deal, or that you don't just get to sit back and pass judgement on those who act out because there was "nothing you could do" how about getting on board with me, and trying to do something that actually helps us all get along just a little bit better.

Remember, this is not just a genre of adults, it is a genre of young adults and kids. 

And you know full well what kind of ridiculously nasty stuff a kid can hear in the faction chat of any one of these games simply because some uneducated troll thinks that it's "Ok" because the people that he or she are paying their money to aren't going to do a single thing to stop them.

It's up to us then.  You, Me, the guy down the street, the girl from across the way, Bill Murphy, ALL OF US.

If you want stuff to get better then you have to set a good example.  It's as simple as that.  And one good example is by not just sitting back and letting the money people cater to you in racist and exclusionist ways.

I promote the same thing within ALL different kinds of people.  I just happen to have noticed the white people thing again today while looking at some different stuff that's out there.  Particularly Crowfall, which I was sent to by this site.

Sometimes people post stuff and it's not just there for you to try and pick apart.  Some times people post stuff and it's there to make you think.

Please consider what I have said here today.  I gotta roll now though so thanks for talking to me about it at all.  At least it gave me a chance to clarify what, I am sure, would have been said all day while I was away.

This discussion has been closed.