Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

They should expan on Vanilla, call it new.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

1/2 the people say they love Vanilla WoW.  1/2 the people say its too old.

Why not take Vanilla WoW, double its size in an expansion and call it new !......Take it in its proper direction, hard, slow leveling, no dungeon finder lobby...............Everybodyyyyy happy !

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    6 million players ?........Over 6 million quit too !
  • iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    I also love Vanila WoW. It was a real MMO. Played expansions up to WOTLK just to see it is going to the opposite direction of MMO ideas to the Lobby type games. Don't believe vanilla WoW will happen as mass of ppls are too lazy for such type of games.

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

I would love an "alternate vanilla".

take vanilla but improve it by:

base mana spell cost

no spell ranks

keep hard mobs hard

macro writing like burning crusade

change armor sets to light, medium, and heavy armor and drop the mail or leather loot table on the "one class only" loot table drops. Ie resto shaman and holy pally using same armor set.

hunter using energy and leather, not mana

keep the unique and exciting weapon procs alive and unique.

I could go on, but it would take too long and be too fun ;)

• FanticuleFanticule Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited December 2015
    It will never happen, but if we could have the last pre BC iteration of WoW plus a massive Emerald Dream expansion, I would happily buy the new game and pay three years' subscription fees in advance.

Post edited by Fanticule on
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    the prob is, everyone wants this or that special state because he conciders it the best.
    wrong patch and boing, no one will play because it's not "his favorite" patch.....

the prob ain't the new content or some silly changes, the game is still the same, believe me.
    the people changed.

some grew up, others just odd :proud: 

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Noboddy would play vanilla anymore, if it was still around, there is a reason wow replaced Everquest as the leading MMO, it evolved and kept evolving..

i recently played trough all the lore, story and quest content from level 1 to 100, and its clear to me how and why the game evolved..   Storywise and lorewise the game kept becomming better and better over time..   But also the streamlining of the content has become an art by itselves.. It turned into the best MMO available still... With truely something for everyone..

however, thee weak point of current WoW is the lack of fresh comtent, and this exactly has been the main reason i quit WoW on and off ever since release..

its however the only MMo you can play both casuall as well as hardcore... And has become better at that over the last 11 years..

vanilla will never be as good as it on e was, however they could make a huge zone with connected duneons and raid now and then to give that old feeling back...  Just more freedom to explore...and more challenges to find on the road...

in the end, purists will die, people that on e loved to play everquest will recognise this... Nothing will evevr be like your first MMO, and the worst thing you can do is play that old outdated stuff again, because after the nostalgic feeling has left you.. The game will feel cold and old pretty fast

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    These threads always make me smile because it is always 'give us Vanilla.....but add this to it', well that isn't Vanilla is it?

Then there is also what flavour of Vanilla do you want because launch Vanilla is different from just pre-BC Vanilla as it was already evolving back then?

Then you are also forgetting that people always see things through rose tinted glasses, a large amount of those that say they would want Vanilla back would probably play for a few weeks and once they have fulfilled their nostalgia kick, move back to what they were playing before.

It is always a nice thought, but you will never please everyone.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I'd play WoW if it would not have those awful 100 polygon characters and the ridiculous shoulder pad armour. I seriously can't look at that stuff for more than 2 minutes before i die laughing.

Upgrade the game engine and character design and remove panda bears. I might give it another try then. 

Vanilla or not.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

its however the only MMo you can play both casuall as well as hardcore... And has become better at that over the last 11 years..

That's not true at all, EQ2 can be played both ways.

• AntiGangsterAntiGangster Member UncommonPosts: 3
    What they need to do is have a progression server and allow people to transfer level locked 60 toons. I have kept 5 toons at 60 since they went to BC....and i would happily pay to transfer them to a 60 server.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    I imagine I would fail to reach level cap in that game for the same reason I failed to reach level cap in Wildstar.  The quest grind was shiny and new when Vanilla launched now it's stale and tired. 

The only way a game like that would be appealing is you could launch it before 2005. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Noboddy would play vanilla anymore, if it was still around, there is a reason wow replaced Everquest as the leading MMO, it evolved and kept evolving..

i recently played trough all the lore, story and quest content from level 1 to 100, and its clear to me how and why the game evolved..   Storywise and lorewise the game kept becomming better and better over time..   But also the streamlining of the content has become an art by itselves.. It turned into the best MMO available still... With truely something for everyone..

however, thee weak point of current WoW is the lack of fresh comtent, and this exactly has been the main reason i quit WoW on and off ever since release..

vanilla will never be as good as it on e was, however they could make a huge zone with connected duneons and raid now and then to give that old feeling back...  Just more freedom to explore...and more challenges to find on the road...

in the end, purists will die, people that on e loved to play everquest will recognise this... Nothing will evevr be like your first MMO, and the worst thing you can do is play that old outdated stuff again, because after the nostalgic feeling has left you.. The game will feel cold and old pretty fast
    Well, they could basically scrap all expansions and start again with a new expansion but it would be almost as much work as making a Wow 2 and making a sequel wouldn't upset the current players as much as keeping the game but making all their gear and progression useless.

Starting a fresh new game with a new engine and take the best parts of the older game trumps that. Making a vanilla server like EQs progression server is another possibility that also is easier and wouldn't upset the current players.

Scrapping all expansions would upset the current players as much as the SWG NGE upsetted the players of that game and while it could give them back some old players they would loose on it.

Another possibility would be to make Legion more inspired of the vanilla game and less on the last 2 expansions but keeping all zones, races and the deathknight in the game. Bringing back a more vanilla style probably wouldn't have that huge impact on current players. And they honestly could revamp the levels to half what it is now, having that many levels really doesn't make the game more fun, it just makes new players staring themselves blind on hopelessly many levels. Bring back the current max level to 50 or so (and let players keep the XP score sol old players maxed out still are ready to start the expansion and then have 10 new levels bringin it up to 60. 

I don't think Wow is the only MMO you can play both casually and hardcore though, games like FF XIV do that fine as well. But yeah, most people I know who aren't currently subbing have little new content as their main reason.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I'm sure Blizzard has it sitting around somewhere.  They could make it so existing subs pay 5$ extra for access to the vanilla server and make it full price for any new accounts.  That way they aren't taking away from their precious modern game.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    6 million players ?........Over 6 million quit too !
    Alot more quit then that, as WoW got to have like over 100 mil acct many reason people end up and leaving.
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    WoW started off at under 2 million subscribers... that number makes up the true fans of the game... these people won't leave unless the game is pried out of their cold dead hands... literally.
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    There is a very popular vanilla server at the moment that I have been playing for a few months now it's has 8000-10000 players online at a time sometimes there is even a queue , but imagine there was an official server that number would be closer to a million believe it ! I played wow for 12 years straight and I won't play the new wow any longer if they bring a vanilla server I'd come back but until then I'll /pass no pandas or demon hunters will change my mind
  • PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    rush1984 said:
    There is a very popular vanilla server at the moment...
    Wouldn't it be interesting if Blizzard allowed the private servers to run unopposed?  I mean if their mantra is true (all the old code was written over by them), then in essence, they threw their own game away... finders keepers, yes?

If they are worried these private servers would steal potential subscribers away... well then, it clearly says something about the new WoW, now doesn't it?  Maybe it would be the fuel to finally put some fire under them again or the bucket to finally put out the flames.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2016
    The problem with Vanilla servers is the same problem Blizz is being criticized now for. Everyone's played the shit out of it already. Yeah it was great. But How many times can I run "The Barrens"?

I mean, I'm doing it. But not like back then. 1 maybe 2 hrs once every couple days. 
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Blizz know vanilla servers would be a huge hit, they don't want to admit that since activist took over the game has got worst and worst
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Robokapp said:
    I wonder if you add up all the players in private servers what fraction of the official playerbase they actually are by comparison.
    Probably less than 1%.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    rush1984 said:
    Blizz know vanilla servers would be a huge hit, they don't want to admit that since activist took over the game has got worst and worst
    Wrong, they have extensive survey data that shows them it will not be financially successful enough to run. All this talk about how vanilla wow was so great are from people who don't want to remember the severe problems vanilla had and also from a bygone era, they will not even cover a blizzard employee's pocket change.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

1/2 the people say they love Vanilla WoW.  1/2 the people say its too old.

Why not take Vanilla WoW, double its size in an expansion and call it new !......Take it in its proper direction, hard, slow leveling, no dungeon finder lobby...............Everybodyyyyy happy !

The actual additions in content over the years is pretty impressive for wow like:
    New zones, landmasses, races, classes, model and engine updates

But where it all falls down is the companies design philosophies have strayed so far from vanilla that it has alienated a large segment of ex players. 

I personally wouldn't have a problem roaming around WoD with vanilla classes and skills, but resetting the clock all the way back to vanilla would be more trouble than its worth due to bugs and user experience.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259

Nobody would play Vanilla? Are you sure? :-)

I play Vanilla on unnamed server, 11k ppl online on peak, doesn't go under 7k online , it's more than any other expansion ever had on any server but official WoW servers of course :-). And quality of vanilla free servers are pretty good these days. So yeah, sure, nobody would play Vanilla...
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I play Vanilla on unnamed server, 11k ppl online on peak, doesn't go under 7k online , it's more than any other expansion ever had on any server but official WoW servers of course :-). And quality of vanilla free servers are pretty good these days. So yeah, sure, nobody would play Vanilla...
    But would you pay to play it? Would millions pay to play it?

Everyone knows there is an interest in the old days and some may play it for a while out of curiosity and nostalgia, but i can't see a mass of people sticking with it long term.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    kertin said:

people cry when they dont implement flying mounts into the xpacs. thats just one example of why they cant and wont do a vanilla server. sure, people want the old days of WoW, but once they get it they would complain and leave it. no flying? no mods? no solo'ing dungeons? no DK's? no pandas? no LFG/LFR? Waiting a week to find out if you have enough points from pvp'ing to purchase 1(thats right, 1) piece of gear?

the idea is great. i would do it in a heartbeat as mods and cross realm (server merges) and flying and LFG/LFR have ruined it for me. but we all know how it is when an update comes out and mods stop. total cry babies everywhere.