Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Coleco Announces Coleco Chameleon Cartridge-Based Console

ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
edited December 2015 in General Gaming
Link

It will accurately play classic games and also 8-16-32 bit modern retro games.

"Retro Video Game Systems president Mike Kennedy calls it "a love-letter to all the classic cartridge based gaming systems that came before it."  Kennedy thinks it will take gamers "back to a simpler time," a time he says when games "were all about great gameplay and fun factor.""

Link
"All game cartridges will include high quality, plastic clamshell cases with illustrated instruction manuals and game developer liner notes," the company says.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2015
    High thumbsticks are painful to use for me. Thats why i love dualshock controllers so much.

Aside from that, I would totally be all over this but there is one problem. Back in the day games had to have great gameplay because of technology limitations. They would fail if the gameplay was not fun. With todays technology, the limitation is not there anymore. Choosing to ignore modern tech readily available in favor of replicating classic games/consoles for the sake of nostalgia does not sound promising to me and it may be too risky.

Just my opinion. Ill wait and see.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    Cool, will they sell old games on new cartridges? How will that work?
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    edited December 2015
    Thupli said:
    Cool, will they sell old games on new cartridges? How will that work?
    I was wondering the same thing.  Like are they going to sell it in retail stores or do we have to order them online?

EDIT: Yep new cartridges..updated OP
    I'll get it if its a reasonable price and games too just to take it to friends house and play with all of them who doesnt game on PCs/Emulators
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    It looks like they are using the old Atari Jaguar chassis.  Interesting and odd.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    rodingo said:
    It looks like they are using the old Atari Jaguar chassis.  Interesting and odd.

Damn, I didn't catch that. Might get one and paint the Jaguar logo on it just because.
    Kilrain said:
    rodingo said:

Damn, I didn't catch that. Might get one and paint the Jaguar logo on it just because.
    They still need to add 2 more controller ports because many modern retro games are 4 player local co-op
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I'll get it if its a reasonable price and games too just to take it to friends house and play with all of them who doesnt game on PCs/Emulators
    Yupp. Also, since Gamestop announced a few months ago that they were going to start selling retro consoles/games again this might help keep prices fair. Hopefully.

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited December 2015
    rodingo said:

ATARI made a shit ton of those back in the days,same situation as with the E.T. cartridges funny enough, must've been an ATARI thing dunno ^^, since they didn't sell for shit, they tried to sell them of (they probably couldn't bury them in the desert again....) you still see some of them for example there is this "house dental camera" here using it: