Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

War Thunder. Pretty much a WWII MMO

2»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    madazz said:
    The definition of mmo is not changing. It still stands for massively multiplayer online. You just have idiots who can't comprehend what it means. Just because someone doesn't understand a word, or combination of words, doesn't mean we bastardize the words to mean something completely different.

War Thunder is not an mmo.
    Did you just call the site owners here idiots?
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I may have been inaccurate in the name of the thread, but with everything and it's mother being called an MMO I felt it was worth noting that War Thunder is pretty awesome. It's better than WoT to me, and that game will pit you against stupid combos of 1950+ Drawing board tanks.

I have shot down planes on tank battles with the coax machine gun. You can be one-shotted like a real tank in the game and the death animation shows the crew being killed by the hit. 

They just added more interactive water that you can land planes on, and I guess put submarines under once the ships update comes along. I also noticed that there are infantry gun pieces now on some of the maps, which makes me think they are looking to add other dressing in addition to eventual infantry. 

A persistent world would be great, but apart from that it's a lobby game with a bunch of people on it and an effort made to honor realism (play sim mode for that level of detail).
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

madazz said:
    The definition of mmo is not changing. It still stands for massively multiplayer online. You just have idiots who can't comprehend what it means. Just because someone doesn't understand a word, or combination of words, doesn't mean we bastardize the words to mean something completely different.

Or idiots that don't understand that usage of terms will quite often flex or morph over time. Semantic Change is a common thing. I guess you think you hold the keys to the term. Well that's amusing if nothing else. 
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I like the game and play it a lot but, yeah, it is one battle. . then another. . nothing persistent.  There is little interaction between anyone etc.  It is a lot of fun though!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Aethaeryn said:
    I like the game and play it a lot but, yeah, it is one battle. . then another. . nothing persistent.  There is little interaction between anyone etc.  It is a lot of fun though!
    That is the spirit. If it is fun, lack of persistency and interactions are not that important .. at least to me. 
  • alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Archlyte said:
    I may have been inaccurate in the name of the thread, but with everything and it's mother being called an MMO I felt it was worth noting that War Thunder is pretty awesome. It's better than WoT to me, and that game will pit you against stupid combos of 1950+ Drawing board tanks.

I have shot down planes on tank battles with the coax machine gun. You can be one-shotted like a real tank in the game and the death animation shows the crew being killed by the hit. 

Your heart will be crushed when you move higher up and see your `44 tanks(if german) vs 52+ tanks that you can`t do anything about.

They recently reduced the Battle Rating for the 8.0 tanks to 7.7 so they can meet 6.7 tanks. So you have the IS-2 or Tiger-2 vs T-10M... T-10M has sloped armor that an IS-2 or Tiger 2 can`t do anything about from the front while the T-10M has 400mm penetration ammo so it doesn`t matter where it shoots...

Same with planes, watch your slow WW2 planes matched against Korean era jets that outgun you, outclimb, outdive and fly faster, all you can do is fly like bait and wait for the sharks to swoop in for the kill.

With the tanks its an exercise in futility... yea maybe 1 in 20 times you will maybe kill the 7.7  tank if you somehow get him from an angle and he doesn`t see you... but in the other 19 cases he will just eat you alive and it has nothing to do with his skill, its just the game matching you with tanks you need to get behind to kill, and in a game where everyone sees you on the map good luck flanking any decent player.

War Thunder has a good start, but the further you go in the action slows down and they bam you meet the super tanks... sure after you are cannon fodder for a long time you too can get a super tank, but that`s just bad, you are either farmed or the farmer and most games are decided by the matchmaking not by players.

Either way, they went for realism and sacrificed balance yet in what realism did you have `44 tanks/planes vs `52+ tanks/planes and what is expected of the players in that scenario... it was so bad nobody was playing the last tier when it was from BR 7 to 8, they had to reduce the endgame tanks to 7.7 so they could get people from the 6.7 tier to  play but now those people say they will also stop playing... there are plenty of threads on the forums about this they just don`t stay up long as the mods close them quite fast like most of the negative aspects, that`s why you barely see people bothering to post there. :P 

Meh long post but i think i covered it all. That said if you never plan to go beyond a certain BR the game is still normal... and its unlikely they will try and merge more tiers to cover the population drop.
    If they never introduce the World War part then it's not going to be anything special even with the little details. 

Your heart will be crushed when you move higher up and see your `44 tanks(if german) vs 52+ tanks that you can`t do anything about.

Why? You can simply forget about this game and play another. It is not like there are no choices for vehicle combat instanced pvp games.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Archlyte said:

madazz said:

Or idiots that don't understand that usage of terms will quite often flex or morph over time. Semantic Change is a common thing. I guess you think you hold the keys to the term. Well that's amusing if nothing else. 
    Over time words may change. Definitions that are super clear do not. A blue car will never stand for a red motorcycle. Just like massively multiplayer online doesn't mean not-massively multiplayer online.
    madazz said:

Over time words may change. Definitions that are super clear do not. A blue car will never stand for a red motorcycle. Just like massively multiplayer online doesn't mean not-massively multiplayer online.
    So clearly massively multiplayer online is not super clear. Otherwise, why would people who made the gamelist on this and other mmo sites be "incorrect" according to some?
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    madazz said:

So clearly massively multiplayer online is not super clear. Otherwise, why would people who made the gamelist on this and other mmo sites be "incorrect" according to some?
    Should be as clear as day....

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Cecropia said:
    madazz said:

Should be as clear as day....

Ask those who make up game list here and on other sites ... it is clearly "not clear" to them. Otherwise, why would they classify world of tank as a MMO?