Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do much hate on Star Citizen?

Comments

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    If your business model is relying on selling as many unfinished fictional digital items as possible for a non existing game to keep the doors open and make said game then something is wrong:

"We managed our expenses based on the revenue we bring in. We have our development timeline and we know what we're doing. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it." - Chris Roberts

This is not a sound Business plan and every professional investor would tell you it's bound to fail at some point when the pyramid scheme funding dries up. So far the project can still create buzz with videos and promised features but this can not go on forever and it will become increasingly expensive to keep the hype train running when it slowly runs out of steam.

This is the reason i don't trust the double-chinned fat fuck with his failed actress trophy wife on ever delivering a decent product.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • screecwescreecwe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    If your business model is relying on selling as many unfinished fictional digital items as possible for a non existing game to keep the doors open and make said game then something is wrong:

"We managed our expenses based on the revenue we bring in. We have our development timeline and we know what we're doing. We adjust. If I'm not bringing in $3 million or $2 million a month, we aren't going to have as many people working on it." - Chris Roberts

This is not a sound Business plan and every professional investor would tell you it's bound to fail at some point when the pyramid scheme funding dries up. So far the project can still create buzz with videos and promised features but this can not go on forever and it will become increasingly expensive to keep the hype train running when it slowly runs out of steam.

Uhh...that's not their business plan. It's their funding plan. If you can't see the difference between the two things, then there's no hope for youl
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    screecwe said:

Uhh...that's not their business plan. It's their funding plan. If you can't see the difference between the two things, then there's no hope for youl
    Did I really just red that or am I hallucinating from the pain due to a headache I have?
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    screecwe said:

That comment is FAIL on so many levels i won't even bother with a serious reply.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

Catching up on this thread, I am amazed that the OP put such credence in some 'old guys talking' in a SC controlled video.  It's like some people have never worked in real business situations.  Those guys were vetted, and put on stage because they would say that.  It's a pro forma response.  If they'd gotten up there on the video and said, 'Yes, it is all true!  And CR is an asshat!'  You'd never have seen it, and they'd be fired.   That's why there are these things known as whistleblower laws.

I tend to believe the Escapist story because it has roughly the same complaints that I heard from folks who worked with Roberts at Origin.   And you know, even 20 plus years later, they aren't willing to go public, because it would be bad for their employment in the gaming industry.   Or, given the internet nowadays, any industry.  Even when there are bits that show Roberts true nature, like that cranky incompetent game playing video, or the five page anti-Escapist diatribe, some folks are happy to ignore it. 

It is weird conundrum though;  without Roberts  the game probably doesn't get made, but because of him, it's being poorly  made.  Oh well.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• EpicJohnsonEpicJohnson Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Pyramid Scheme?...... lol........
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Catching up on this thread, I am amazed that the OP put such credence in some 'old guys talking' in a SC controlled video.  It's like some people have never worked in real business situations.  Those guys were vetted, and put on stage because they would say that.  It's a pro forma response.  If they'd gotten up there on the video and said, 'Yes, it is all true!  And CR is an asshat!'  You'd never have seen it, and they'd be fired.   That's why there are these things known as whistleblower laws.

I tend to believe the Escapist story because it has roughly the same complaints that I heard from folks who worked with Roberts at Origin.   And you know, even 20 plus years later, they aren't willing to go public, because it would be bad for their employment in the gaming industry.   Or, given the internet nowadays, any industry.  Even when there are bits that show Roberts true nature, like that cranky incompetent game playing video, or the five page anti-Escapist diatribe, some folks are happy to ignore it. 

It is weird conundrum though;  without Roberts  the game probably doesn't get made, but because of him, it's being poorly  made.  Oh well.

holy amazing! it took me only about 3 pages to have someone at least touch on the subject directly. I cant believe it.

regardless, I have been reading the forums a bit and I tend to agree, my view that there is hate on SC is unjustified. For the most part people are not in hate mode on this game, the escapist story is very much one clear example of perverted hate but in general that seems to be where it stops.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    SEANMCAD said:

holy amazing! it took me only about 3 pages to have someone at least touch on the subject directly. I cant believe it.

regardless, I have been reading the forums a bit and I tend to agree, my view that there is hate on SC is unjustified. For the most part people are not in hate mode on this game, the escapist story is very much one clear example of perverted hate but in general that seems to be where it stops.
    I am baffled at how you continue passing judgement on that article while openly admitting to not having read it.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited December 2015
    SEANMCAD said:

I am baffled at how you continue passing judgement on that article while openly admitting to not having read it.
    the claims the escapist article made came from people posting comments on GlassDoor.

really? that is the evidence? seriously? too funny.

I take you find google reviews of places to be the icon of truth dont you?

• makasouleater69makasouleater69 Member UncommonPosts: 1,096
    Brenelael said:
    It's popular and it's trendy to hate what's popular. If you look at the posts here you'll find that it's the same 5 or 6 people that are continuously hating on the game. Sure they recruit a couple of passer-bys to join in once in a while but it's only that extremely small group of posters that spew vitriol every time someone starts a new SC thread. When there aren't any new threads they start posting their own. They are more rabid about SC than even the most die hard fan. It's kind of amusing really.

Bren 
    hahaha the same 5 people, yep I am sure your 100 percent right on that one, good job. 
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Brenelael said:
    It's popular and it's trendy to hate what's popular. If you look at the posts here you'll find that it's the same 5 or 6 people that are continuously hating on the game. Sure they recruit a couple of passer-bys to join in once in a while but it's only that extremely small group of posters that spew vitriol every time someone starts a new SC thread. When there aren't any new threads they start posting their own. They are more rabid about SC than even the most die hard fan. It's kind of amusing really.

Bren 
    hahaha the same 5 people, yep I am sure your 100 percent right on that one, good job. 
    Go look for yourself. You'll see more than that posting negatively but it's only about 5 or 6 that are religious about posting in every single thread here. If you read through this forum it will be very obvious who those 5 or 6 posters are. Don't take my word for it... the evidence is all around you in this forum.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

edited December 2015
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

the claims the escapist article made came from people posting comments on GlassDoor.

really? that is the evidence? seriously? too funny.

I take you find google reviews of places to be the icon of truth dont you?
    I tend to believe not; that would be a little too grossly negligent, even for The Escapist.  More likely, the sources were interviewed, and then proceeded to post their statements on GlassDoor; in fact, The Escapist plainly states: "we did not get our information from Glassdoor"

The sources were explained in detail here, which I will link to (again).

Since the beginning of this thread, you have been parroting fanatical lines while showing very little depth of understanding of the matter at hand.  If you refuse to even read the article that you are debating, why should anyone care about what you have to say?
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

edited December 2015

I tend to believe not; that would be a little too grossly negligent, even for The Escapist.  More likely, the sources were interviewed, and then proceeded to post their statements on GlassDoor; in fact, The Escapist plainly states: "we did not get our information from Glassdoor"

Since the beginning of this thread, you have been parroting fanatical lines while showing very little depth of understanding of the matter at hand.  If you refuse to even read the article that you are debating, why should anyone care about what you have to say?
    so the following questions come to mind

1. why, even after considerable time, none of the other gaming journalism sites talking about this story in a way that validates Escapists claims? As Escapist has written it, its a huge story and yet nobody is touching it. why?

2. typically when sources want to be anonymous the REASONS why they want to be anonymous are given. what are the reasons here? why would someone post a strongly inflammatory comment on Glassdoor if they were afraid blowback from the employers?

]3. usually when somoene experiences illegal hiring practices the very next step is to call a lawyer and start working on a case. This is in part why its called 'illegal' and its also why its extremely uncommon for members of HR department in any company to write an email with alleged statements.. So...where is that lawsuit?

4. are you still suggesting that the comments made where actually never made? that 'age discrimination' is not even part of the story? where did your stance change?

SEANMCAD said:

1. why, even after considerable time, none of the other gaming journalism sites talking about this story in a way that validates Escapists claims? As Escapist has written it, its a huge story and yet nobody is touching it. why?

This is an excellent question, and I'm not sure I have a clear answer for you. It could be that no other news outlets have had opportunities like The Escapist, or perhaps they are afraid of retaliation from Ortwin-Freyermuth. As you have pointed out, there have been many articles about the article, but no additional sources.

2. typically when sources want to be anonymous the REASONS why they want to be anonymous are given. what are the reasons here? why would someone post a strongly inflammatory comment on Glassdoor if they were afraid blowback from the employers?

Glassdoor is anonymous. That's kind of the whole point; it's a website that lets you say pretty much anything about your previous/current employer without risking your job or future employment (which is the reason they would want to remain anonymous).

Again, none of The Escapist's sources were taken from Glassdoor, according to The Escapist's Managing Editor. It's up to you whether or not to take this on faith, but it would be a fairly enormous oversight to use Glassdoor as a source especially when publishing material that is bound to be controversial. It would be pretty... miraculous... if this were the case. The Escapist would be hugely liable, and basically risking bankruptcy, imo. That's why I find this scenario unlikely. Of course, some fans would love for you to believe it anyway.
    ]3. usually when somoene experiences illegal hiring practices the very next step is to call a lawyer and start working on a case. This is in part why its called 'illegal' and its also why its extremely uncommon for members of HR department in any company to write an email with alleged statements.. So...where is that lawsuit?

Not necessarily. If a company doesn't hire you, they don't have to give you the real reason you were not hired.  There is no way you would know for sure if it was because of age/race/gender.  You would have to look at the company as a whole, and it would probably be a class action.  Far more likely that the information on the "illegal hiring practices" came from the inside.

Now consider that engaging in a lawsuit can be a very taxing experience, financially and emotionally. You certainly wouldn't be able to keep your position if you sued your employer. The first reaction on witnessing discriminatory and/or toxic practices isn't always to run to the law; it could be that former employees chose to put up with a toxic environment for a time because the pay was right, or for any other number of reasons. If you saw your boss make a racist remark, would your immediate reaction be to drop everything and take your employer to court? It would depend on a number of factors, imo.

4. are you still suggesting that the comments made where actually never made? that 'age discrimination' is not even part of the story? where did your stance change?
    I'm not sure what you mean here; I never indicated that age discrimination wasn't a part of the story? As stated previously, just because there are people of a certain age group or minority on CIG's payroll, that doesn't make it "OK" to make toxic, discriminatory comments as a company officer. Please show me where I suggested anything to the contrary.

• giffy689giffy689 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    SEANMCAD said:

This is an excellent question, and I'm not sure I have a clear answer for you. It could be that no other news outlets have had opportunities like The Escapist, or perhaps they are afraid of retaliation from Ortwin-Freyermuth. As you have pointed out, there have been many articles about the article, but no additional sources.

Glassdoor is anonymous. That's kind of the whole point; it's a website that lets you say pretty much anything about your previous/current employer without risking your job or future employment (which is the reason they would want to remain anonymous).

Again, none of The Escapist's sources were taken from Glassdoor, according to The Escapist's Managing Editor. It's up to you whether or not to take this on faith, but it would be a fairly enormous oversight to use Glassdoor as a source especially when publishing material that is bound to be controversial. It would be pretty... miraculous... if this were the case. The Escapist would be hugely liable, and basically risking bankruptcy, imo. That's why I find this scenario unlikely. Of course, some fans would love for you to believe it anyway.

Not necessarily. If a company doesn't hire you, they don't have to give you the real reason you were not hired.  There is no way you would know for sure if it was because of age/race/gender.  You would have to look at the company as a whole, and it would probably be a class action.  Far more likely that the information on the "illegal hiring practices" came from the inside.

Now consider that engaging in a lawsuit can be a very taxing experience, financially and emotionally. You certainly wouldn't be able to keep your position if you sued your employer. The first reaction on witnessing discriminatory and/or toxic practices isn't always to run to the law; it could be that former employees chose to put up with a toxic environment for a time because the pay was right, or for any other number of reasons. If you saw your boss make a racist remark, would your immediate reaction be to drop everything and take your employer to court? It would depend on a number of factors, imo.

I'm not sure what you mean here; I never indicated that age discrimination wasn't a part of the story? As stated previously, just because there are people of a certain age group or minority on CIG's payroll, that doesn't make it "OK" to make toxic, discriminatory comments as a company officer. Please show me where I suggested anything to the contrary.
    How pages is thread going to go?
    giffy689 said:
    With the overwhelming amount of circular logic permeating this discussion? It could conceivably go on forever. I'm fine with that though as it's very entertaining. =)

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• giffy689giffy689 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Brenelael said:
    giffy689 said:
    With the overwhelming amount of circular logic permeating this discussion? It could conceivably go on forever. I'm fine with that though as it's very entertaining. =)

Bren
    @Brenelael ok i was just wondering if this site had a page limit for threads?
    giffy689 said:
    Brenelael said:
    giffy689 said:

Bren
    @Brenelael ok i was just wondering if this site had a page limit for threads?
    Not that I'm aware of. There are long time threads here that go for hundreds of pages.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Another well written article about SC and the community.

http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2015/12/19/the-star-citizen-community-is-souring-the-game/

Everyone isn't scared of CR it seems.

There are also a few FB write up about SC. But then again everyone lies except CR it seems, right?

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I think a lot of people view it as little more than a full speed hype train for a project too ambitious to ever be finished.  The hype train -> unfinished product cycle is becoming a frustrating staple of MMORPGs.  Maybe the people that are so anti SC see it as the epitome of this problem.

Personally I don't care.  I hope it gets released so I can play it, but until then I just ignore their updates.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Brenics said:

http://www.informationredux.com/index.php/2015/12/19/the-star-citizen-community-is-souring-the-game/

There are also a few FB write up about SC. But then again everyone lies except CR it seems, right?

Surprise surprise the comments for that article are about 95% filled with posts about it being click bait or a drama article or whatever else the fans use to discredit negative press.

Best part is how the author says they have barely made 5 dollars in 6 months from these articles clicks and yet the first comment is about being click bait.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:

I have one for you...

1. If the Escapist article was false and not based on any real interviews or real evidence then why did Cloud Imperium NOT follow through on their threat of legal action when the Escapist refused their terms?  You cant say they did not care because they cared enough to make the threat and give the Escapist an ultimatum. 

Your questions are filled with general assumptions like "usually when somoene experiences illegal hiring practices" and "typically when sources want to be anonymous" but you provide no evidence of this and these things dont really apply in the game industry.  This industry is very small and once word gets out you took legal action against a company you can bet you will never work for another real company in gaming again.

You claim the escapist article was based on Glassdoor comments but you and I both know that was not the case.  The article was based on ACTUAL INTERVIEWS WITH EMPLOYEES both existing and terminated and that information is easy to find and yet you continue to refuse to acknowledge it while trying to discredit the article.  I have to ask, why is that?

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/features/14715-CIG-Employees-Talk-Star-Citizen-and-the-State-of-the-Company

Nine people reached out to us - two were completely anonymous and were used to corroborate information. The seven quoted below identified themselves, but will be referenced by number (CS1, CS2, etc.) at their request.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Broken.ArrowBroken.Arrow Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Your signature is something that a jackass SC supporter keeps repeating ad nauseam OP. You wouldnt happen to be a sock puppet of some self professed big-wig software developer called pongo or some shit would you?

Also, are CIG so strapped for cash that they want to get the "no-bad-publicity" ball rolling here, so soon after their extravagant, altruistic, Trumpistic xmas gifting spree?
    Dont you think you're hiding your agenda behind a rather thin veil with all the conflicting overtly and purposefully obtuse crap that you are posting?

And I barely see a shred of have fun in all these 9 pages. Why is noone reminding us to have fun???

---

A proud User of [[Adblock Plus]], to block out all the bullshit paid advertisements (also read as "game reviews") spam on mmorpg.com. 

----

I was banned for pointing out the obvious faults in a game 2 months before it released.
    Now after release, repeating the very same words from back then would be like preaching to the choir on this site.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Kefo said:
    Brenics said:

Surprise surprise the comments for that article are about 95% filled with posts about it being click bait or a drama article or whatever else the fans use to discredit negative press.

Best part is how the author says they have barely made 5 dollars in 6 months from these articles clicks and yet the first comment is about being click bait.

Funny how the respondees virtually prove what's written about the fans in the article and fail to see that if anyone is causing drama it is them with their overly dramatic, vitriolic responses.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I do not hate Star Citizen.  My concern is that people have given a lot of money and support to them, and I hope they aren't getting fleeced.  I know that stupid is as stupid does and if you're foolish enough to spend hundreds of dollars on a game isn't even out, you deserve to get got.  However, people get excited and want to support and sometimes don't always do the smart thing.

In most cases, people bought a 79.99 delux early access and ended up losing it.  In this case, people have spent significant amounts of money, and I wouldn't want them to lose it as an object lesson.

My hope it pans out for those people.  For those who lost the 79.99.... You deserve it, learn your lesson! ;)

I self identify as a monkey.