Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you think TOR will get any bigger this year due to Star Wars making a comeback?

124»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Actually a NGE would have me racing back to the game,i do not like it's current design at all.

Change combat,change mobs ,change npc's and crafting yep NGE works for me.

Will the game get any bigger??Odd question well unless you figure they are shutting the game down,of course it gets bigger lol.

Will they ever add what i expected from day 1 >>>>EPIC type content,,nope if they spent 200 million and did not want it ,they are not adding ever.Sad too because i was not only anticipating it,i expected Epic type battles ,defending the planet i seriously thought nothing less would happen so i was severely disappointed when i saw a huge lack of effort by Bioware delivering nothing more than KOTOR with a login screen.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Oh,
    They are related?
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Just resubbed :proud: 

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited December 2015
    shenfrey said:

What do you think? I hear Bioware are going to be making some big changes this year as a result, lets hope they are not quite on the level of NGE! 

Yes.
    The real question though is....
    Will they stay?
    Probably not.
    Could they get them to stay?
    Yes.
    But how?

As someone said earlier (think it was Brody), an expansion. A real one with the level of work the original game had. Separate stories. Not more of the current, everyone marches to the same beat, story (Regrinding couple year old content). No secret I loved Dragon Age Origins. To this day it is still one of my top 5 favorite RPGs of all time. My only complaint was that they started you out with different back stories, but after a bit everyone no matter how you started was doing the same story the same way. That's (imho of course) one of SWTORs biggest problems right now. A serious expansion could possibly fix that, just my opinion though.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    DocBrody said:

I hope so, the game is now at a good point where it would make sense to really put serious money in to grow the player base.

- add a new landing cutscene for all of them

NO! Just no....

- add class story continuation up to lvl 75

The separate class stories continuation boat has long sailed away. It is an endeavor too expensive and too time consuming. The KotFE episodic telling will be the norm. And i like it.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    It hasnt gotten any bigger in years what happens is when a xpac comes out the numbers go up for a month or two then back down to where it was at or lower. The problem is tor keeps shooting themselves in the foot and they destroyed companions its all very sad. I do wish their was a newer mmo based on the new movies that i would be interested in tor has been a sad disaster thats turned into a single player rpg now that thier trying to entice people to pay a sub for lol
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Shodanas said:
    DocBrody said:

I hope so, the game is now at a good point where it would make sense to really put serious money in to grow the player base.

- add a new landing cutscene for all of them

NO! Just no....

- add class story continuation up to lvl 75

The separate class stories continuation boat has long sailed away. It is an endeavor too expensive and too time consuming. The KotFE episodic telling will be the norm. And i like it.

Maybe not new landing cut scenes but how about the game actually loading in background during them, so you don't have to sit watching two loading screens.

Click on ship > Take off/Landing cut scene becomes the loading screen > End of cut scene shows you standing in ship. If you hit space bar to skip the take off/landing it uses the current loading screen (with the tips and picture background).

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Got an email from SWTOR saying I qualify for a free level 60 to play chapters 1 to 9 to try out the game.  I could try a class, delete it and try others as long as I didn't hit 61 because then the class could no longer be deleted but I could level it to complete the story.  Liked not having to do any side quests unless I wanted to.  Like the focus on story and being able to use any companion I wanted most of the time.  Long story short, I re-subbed and will play it for at least a month.  I have 8 level 55's so will level a few of them up.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Got an email from SWTOR saying I qualify for a free level 60 to play chapters 1 to 9 to try out the game.  I could try a class, delete it and try others as long as I didn't hit 61 because then the class could no longer be deleted but I could level it to complete the story.  Liked not having to do any side quests unless I wanted to.  Like the focus on story and being able to use any companion I wanted most of the time.  Long story short, I re-subbed and will play it for at least a month.  I have 8 level 55's so will level a few of them up.
    I'll have to check if my preferred account didn't get a mail like that. :open_mouth: 

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I would imagine they will get a small bump from anyone who just needs a taste of SW but doesn't like shooters or phone games. I don't imagine they will do anything big to the game. It's a money net that is already cast into the stream, they have no real reason to pull it in or make a new one until people leave it en masse. I don't see how they could properly gauge hunger for an MMORPG in the era of the new movies, but if they could I suspect they would start working on a new game now.   
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • FlintsteenFlintsteen Member UncommonPosts: 282
    To me,  in a mmo,  i dont mind no character story.  I actually prefer when my alts dont have to go through the same story i allready did before.  Long imersive character story belongs in singleplayer rpg's imo. 

It's still star wars,  and it's hard to put away.  I just dont understand how non repeatable content ends up such a huge part of an expansion.  I would have thourt every 2 or 3 chapters would have been a FP,  like with SoR when the story included 6 FP, if we include the prelude, and an operaton.

I know grouping isn´t everyones cup of tea,  but they were made possible to solo and the operation had a solo mode to,  so you got a conclusion to the story.
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Maybe if this was it's own game like SWG, instead of a shitty WoW clone.
    SWG was the shitty game.  10,363 people playing in 2006 , no game has tried to copy it since SOE put it out of its misery and less than 1000 play its current garbage program.  

You bitter desperate SWG vets really need to move on. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I don't see the game as it is today suddenly gaining a ton of customers.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited December 2015
    waynejr2 said:
    To be fair there is no mmorpg that is suddenly going to be gaining a ton of customers today...
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    waynejr2 said:
    To be fair there is no mmorpg that is suddenly going to be gaining a ton of customers today...

That is why it is a safe thing to say and the thread is kind of meh.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    nah.  It never works that way.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Wizardry said:
    Actually a NGE would have me racing back to the game,i do not like it's current design at all.

Change combat,change mobs ,change npc's and crafting yep NGE works for me.

Will the game get any bigger??Odd question well unless you figure they are shutting the game down,of course it gets bigger lol.

Will they ever add what i expected from day 1 >>>>EPIC type content,,nope if they spent 200 million and did not want it ,they are not adding ever.Sad too because i was not only anticipating it,i expected Epic type battles ,defending the planet i seriously thought nothing less would happen so i was severely disappointed when i saw a huge lack of effort by Bioware delivering nothing more than KOTOR with a login screen.
    Bad idea, revamping the game too much without a lot of feedback from the current players only alienates them and there is nothing certain that new players would like it either. Didn't work for SWG and wouldn't work for TOR.

As for the game getting more players because of the movie, it is possible. It isn't certain though, TOR have more in common with the prequels then the new movie lore wise. The likelier winner is Battlefront.
  • cerulean2012cerulean2012 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    If it does it won't be much.  As some have said, TOR has very little advertising.  If any Star Wars games see a substantial gain to population it will be Battlefront as that is a newer and more advertised game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SWG was the shitty game.  10,363 people playing in 2006 , no game has tried to copy it since SOE put it out of its misery and less than 1000 play its current garbage program.  

SWG was a shitty game in 2006, but it was an interesting fresh game in 2003 although it was buggy. Making a good MMO is hard, destroying game is easier and faster.

My problem with TOR really is that I don't get the classic SW feeling out of it (which I did get out of the new movie, saw it yesterday, really good  :) ). TOR is more like Clone wars. I wouldn't call it crap but not good either.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Taken out of context, 2006 was when the NGE dropped which completely killed the SWG playerbase (me included), I straight up dropped my sub when the NGE was applied.  SWG sustained ~300,000 players before that.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Of course. They'll get a bump for sure. How long the bump lasts is a whole different matter.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I noticed the new movie is basically a remake of the first one, A New Hope.  Probably why it has that old SW feel.  JJ did the same with Star Trek.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    shenfrey said:

lets hope they are not quite on the level of NGE! 

This just made me  -_- 

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    H0urg1ass said:
    Bumping for relevance again now that the movie is released worldwide.
    Opening night, no ads for games before the movie at theaters, no cross-promotion. World of Warcraft actually did more to honor the film's release than SWTOR(2x XP). Opportunity squandered.

I was actually shocked to not see a SWTOR trailer before SW7 last night.  You would think that the most recent trailer would definitely get people thinking about playing.

Not only that, but I have zero, zero, SWTOR promotions in my gmail inbox that coincide with the release of the movie.  You'd think that there'd be this big campaign to bring players back to the game riding on the emotional high of the new movie.
    Thats because swtor doesnt count as canon, you wont see them promoting it anymore than youll see them promoting r a salvatore star wars books. Theyre as much a part of Star Wars as George Lucas is now, which is far removed.