Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interested in black desert?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
There's a lot of miss information floating around out there, so I'll try and clear some of it up here.  I'm using this guide from my guild's forum, with my friends permission.  So all credit goes to Akami Casagama.  It helped me tremendously over the last week.

1.  Graphics - The graphics are actually quite amazing, but they are highly adjustable depending on your machine.  I'm running a i7 @ 4.2 gig, 32 gig of ram, and a overclocked gtx 980, and I can barely run it on ultra (i personally need 30+ fps at all times).  So the game actually has a bit of room to grow tech wise too.  There are a lot of people complaining the graphics look pixilated, out of focus etc.  These are settings on your client side, and not the games fault.  When you first start the game, it defaults to some quite low end graphics, you need to adjust them to suit your own needs.

2.  Combat - I'll be honest when I first started playing the game, I hated the combat.  People kept talking about combo's, how awesome the combat was, how fluid it is, and how tactical it was.  Where as I felt like I was just mashing buttons without any real thought to what I was doing.  There didn't seem to be any logic behind what abilities to use when.  And I didn't see any evidence of "combo's" as I knew them in MMO's.  (one ability chaining with another ability, and another, to make a greater effect)

It took about 20 levels before I really understood how in depth the combat really is.  Once you start getting points deeper into the trees you really start to understand the combo system.  The first thing you need to understand is that you NEED to be using the shortcuts for combat (wsad, q, e, f, shift, etc).  If you hover over the skills in your skill tree, it shows you the key shortcuts needed to use these skills.  Once you start really getting invested in the trees, you will see these shortcuts start to combine together to create in depth combo's.  ie.  on my blader (class not available in US yet) I can use the right mouse key to start a defensive skill which has a build up, if I immediately follow that key with the S+L mouse I will leave my defensive build up, and lunge forward in a column attack dealing large damage and quite a bit of movement.  This combo isn't listed in the skills window, and it's just something I found out through play.

On top of this combo system, you also have the reactive system to enemy states.  If you hover over your skills you will see many of them say Down attack, Air attack, etc.  These are skills that will do increased damage to enemy's that are in certain states.  

Down Attack – deal 1.5 times damage on the target if you attack it when it is knocked down.

Air Attack - deal 1.5 times damage on the target if you attack it when it is floated in air after a knock up.

Speed Attack - deal 1.5 times damage on the target if you attack it when it is charging towards you.

Counter Attack - deal 3.0 times damage on the target if you attack it when it is casting skill.  This one is HUGE, and needs to be learned quickly.

3.  Quests- Much like Archeage, Age of Wushu, etc the start of the game will lead you along in a long series of quests.  The beginning quests are intended to teach you the basics of the game play, so you are interrupted constantly by your black spirit as you go through them.  This can get quite aggravating.  In the Korean version these quests teach you the basic game play in great depth.  Unfortunately the translation is pretty basic, and the nuances they are trying to get across to the players just are not conveyed very well.  So the quest text seems like silly Korean gibberish for the most part.  Once you get past what I like to call the "tutorial" quests these quests won't interrupt you nearly as much, and things will become much more fluid.

The quests given by your black spirit are basically the "main" questline of the game.  If you so chose you could skip over all of the other quests in the game and be just fine.

4.  Leveling - Again, much like Archeage, AoW, and many other games before, quests are not the best way to level.  If you enjoy the mindless quests they are a viable way, but not the best way.  If you are only interested in leveling, the best way to do so will be to find a crowded camp of monsters, somewhere out of the way that isn't already being slaughtered, and just plow through them.  (we like to call this grinding)  Yes this can get a bit boring at time, but it is by far the best way to level.  If you combine this with your black spirit quests you will level up quite fast.  (leveling in BDO is still a exponential curve, so quick is relative.  Think original EQ1 hell levels)

5. Skill & stat levels - Something you don't see often in modern MMO's.  All of your actions in BDO will level up your stats & skills, and I do mean all.  Simply by running around you build stamina levels.  Chopping down trees?  Yep Stamina and harvest levels.  Taming wild animals?  You guessed it, your taming levels go up!  The only other recent game I've seen this type of system in was project gorgon, and I actually find it refreshing and fun.

Now this is all just the icing on the actual cake.  Everything listed here is just introductory to the real depth of the actual game.   From amassing a large fortune.  Simply adventuring around the world to see the amazing visuals, and just find out what's over that next rise.  Taming every wild animal you come across.  Housing is incredibly in depth and quite fun.  PvP & guild PvP.  Becoming a renown crafter of amazing an mythic goods?  (crafting isn't really my thing, but it is quite amazing in BDO.  Google BDO crafting if you are interested)

There is a lot of complaining that there isn't enough "end game" content, which for some single minded people is true.  For those sad folks there are dungeons, systems, and more pvp being added.  But until then, there is still quite a bit to do.

Comments

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Let's simplify this a bit... the game will be B2P at a low low cost of just $30.  That alone makes it attractive to more players.  

Add into the mix that most players are bored out of their skulls whenever they are looking for a new game, even Hello Kitty Online is a viable option to them.  

Rest assured, the nay sayers will try it, the fan bois will try it, pretty much everyone will try it... why?  Because of the second sentence above.

No need to try and sell it, it was *sold* the moment boredom with their current game set in.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Wasn't trying to "sell it".  I was just reposting an informative post regarding a lot of miss-info floating around.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    I think many people wont try it because its from Korea.
    But this game is more sandbox than any other game whiche was released in the last years. Its not perfect ofc, but it does many things right. BDO has so many things that many people on this forum desire.
    And yeah, $30 isnt really that much. (im not trying to "sell it" either :D). 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

I think a lot of people will "try it", but a lot of western players have zero patience.  The systems are very confusing to learn, but once learned are very intuitive... but with zero patience, a lot of players will give up on it before ever seeing how awesome it actually is.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Nice read  =)
    DMKano said:
    Combat is probably the biggest pro and a con as the combo system takes time to get used to and I think many players who are used to hotkey skill based combat are going to be turned off.

I remember the first time I played on Korean CBT1 I was spamming buttons on my sorc not knowing wtf I was doing lol

Exactly.  It takes a while to really understand the combat.  As a fellow big fan of Age of Wushu, I find the combat kind of equally hard to get into... but deeply rewarding once i do.
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I'm in the maybe boat.... I'm bored out of my mind with Everquest 2 and WoW, but at the same time don't really feel like playing a game where I'm forced to be an androgynous girl-boy with no male characteristics and far too much desu-pretty.

I'm also not a fan of grinding, and I like games to be lore and story heavy..... And I'm pretty sure most Korean MMOs don't have enough lore to fill a thimble.

But I might try it, just to verify my loathing. 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Actually the price is a good point.   I'm one of those with zero patience unless something in the game grabs me as being worth time to invest in this.  Lots of games are coming out with great graphics so, welcome to the crowd BD.  But for the price I'll do as suggested and try it out from time to time to see if it sticks to the proverbial wall of games I rotate playing through.  Thanks for the info everyone.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    DMKano said:
    Combat is probably the biggest pro and a con as the combo system takes time to get used to and I think many players who are used to hotkey skill based combat are going to be turned off.

I remember the first time I played on Korean CBT1 I was spamming buttons on my sorc not knowing wtf I was doing lol

lol this is exactly how I have been on the first couple of days on my Sorc, Then you discover combos and like "Ooh so that's how that works" 

Quite enjoying it now though. I was worried I wouldn't
  • advokat666advokat666 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    It´s an interesting game but probably the most terrible one in explaining things. The crafting system seems really deep with the node system connections, worker hirement and processing the gathered stuff. Also exploring is fun in this game and it is rewarding because of how getting knowledge about things works in BDO. PvE endgame seems lacking, afaik there are only world bosses but no instanced pve dungeons or raids. My main concern is pvp in this game, i really hope that it won´t get that stupid pk and gank fest like in other games. It all depends what they are doing with the karma system. For me BDO is a maybe, i started playing since the russian betas and i can say that every beta i learned something new how things work in the game.
  • StarplanStarplan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Will try this game when launched :chuffed: 
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    edited December 2015
    Pepeq said:
    Let's simplify this a bit... the game will be B2P at a low low cost of just $30.  That alone makes it attractive to more players.  

Add into the mix that most players are bored out of their skulls whenever they are looking for a new game, even Hello Kitty Online is a viable option to them.  

Rest assured, the nay sayers will try it, the fan bois will try it, pretty much everyone will try it... why?  Because of the second sentence above.

No need to try and sell it, it was *sold* the moment boredom with their current game set in.

The scary part of this statement is not the truth of it, but more so how much it mimics the time before the launch of ArcheAge. I even bought into ArcheAge hype and purchased a founders pack. I played the beta and loved it. Then it launched.......

I really hope that the deja vu is nothing more than just that feeling in the pit of my stomach.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    edited December 2015
    I've always said the combat will make or break this game, and judging by the action-combat trend, i feel like it's going to be detrimental to the game.  Most people won't wait for 20 levels to get a feel for it.  People just love their familiar tab-target combat.
  • Colt47Colt47 Member UncommonPosts: 549
    The only things hurting the game is that it's game world and IP are brand spanking new so no established external fan-base like with Lord of the Rings Online, Warcraft, Final Fantasy, etc.  Not to mention all the lore building has to be done in the MMO, which I shouldn't have to mention how horrible MMORPGs are at getting lore across to the current MMO gamer.

They also have some anti-cheat / DRM software that is questionable since we don't know what the information it is collecting is being used for, and the company doesn't have the same level of trust that Google has, nor the reputation and social responsibility requirements that many US companies are held to.

I want to see some of the good MMOs make it over and succeed, but the combination of 2nd hand garbage programming leaving the games susceptible to easy modification by the Russian hacking community does not garner a lot of trust out of me.  It also doesn't help most companies importing the games do nothing to fix the problem.  Usually they just make it worse and then hide behind legal stonewalling.
  • PrideinPridein Member UncommonPosts: 21
    ... at the same time don't really feel like playing a game where I'm forced to be an androgynous girl-boy with no male characteristics
    You have a lot of control over the look of your character in this one. The only issue is that many of the classes are race and gender locked.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    its IP locked in south africa,and we get all the games so they are a bunch of manholes,lol!