Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

White Wolf Lays Out Assertive Plan for WoD IP

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhite Wolf Lays Out Assertive Plan for WoD IP

White Wolf CEO Tobias Sjögren and Lead Storyteller Martin Elricsson took to the stage in a recent fan event to lay out plans for the future of the World of Darkness IP. According to the pair, the IP is alive and well with big plans for the coming years. Of special note is that a new computer RPG is in the works, perhaps building on assets reclaimed from CCP Games after WoD MMO was canceled in 2014.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Ah a table top game on the level of monopoly , a tcg that will never measure up to heartstone or mtg , and novels by grad school majors ... Call me when you make an actual MMORPG , so i can care.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    So no mmo, so who cares...

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Honestly I never saw how it would be possible to pull off a commercially successful WoD mmorpg without completely trashing the IP. It works great for tabletop RPG but would not translate well to mmo.

A new computer RPG is great news. I loved the last one. A card game might be nice. For me, it all depends on how immersive the art and mechanics are. I'm not a collector or tournament player.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    demodar said:
    Ah a table top game on the level of monopoly , a tcg that will never measure up to heartstone or mtg , and novels by grad school majors ... Call me when you make an actual MMORPG , so i can care.

Well you are not really the target demo...

But they said they wil not make a MMO due to not having the money/people/time to do it. So i guess you will be out of luck. =P

As for someone who have GM´s/played/LARP´d VtM for any years this new push is actually very welcome. It is what we hoped CCP would do, but they instead mothballed it.

Also unless you are a fan of the series... it might be hard to grasp how intriguing the idea of WoD combined with Crusader Kings 2 would be. =)

Also... While i know you are trolling... There is a tiny bit of a step between monooly and a TTRPG... just saying. Because it irked the nerd side of me.
    DecklandEricBreheny

This have been a good conversation

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    That's just disappointing.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I really hope they do the RPG. Both of the single player RPG's were a lot of fun so another installment would be a welcome addition. Shame about the MMO being dropped but as already mentioned it would be a hard one to pull off while doing the IP the justice it deserves.

I'd prefer no MMO to a trashy one.
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    RPG with co-op and modding would be great.
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    I'm just glad something new is happening after CCP was content just sitting on property.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    tawess said:
    demodar said:

But they said they wil not make a MMO due to not having the money/people/time to do it. So i guess you will be out of luck. =P

As for someone who have GM´s/played/LARP´d VtM for any years this new push is actually very welcome. It is what we hoped CCP would do, but they instead mothballed it.

Also unless you are a fan of the series... it might be hard to grasp how intriguing the idea of WoD combined with Crusader Kings 2 would be. =)

Also... While i know you are trolling... There is a tiny bit of a step between monooly and a TTRPG... just saying. Because it irked the nerd side of me.

Not really trolling just being really dark and sarcastic , about the situation . I very much doubt they care to give out any quality product . At this point they are sapping the last life they can out of it and their fan base . You and I can hope this is a wrong prediction , but the lackluster they have shown with the IP lately does not speak well for its future.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited December 2015
    Well it sucks to not hear of any MMO. Also don't care about card games but that's just me.

The most interesting bit is the PC rpg! Hopefully it's good. It'd be really cool if it was a psuedo-MMO. If not that, Then a strictly story based single player would be good too.
    Asm0deus

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I'll be more than happy to have it be a single (or multiplayer) RPG! I've always been a huge fan of VtM: Bloodlines, so if they manage something close to that, I'll be friggin' ecstatic! :dizzy: 

As much as I hated seeing the MMO cancelled, it was always one I was on the fence about anyway, since it sounded a lot like it would be EVE with vampires. And EVE's not my cup of tea.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    demodar said:

Well, Jyhad (the vampire cardgame) were made by the same people as mtg and actually had some popularity in the mid 90s, it was never as popular as Magic but still the second largest (not counting Pokemon) TGC of it's time. I actually won the Swedish championship once (was it 97?, a long time ago anyways).

It certainly could beat Heartstone, Blizz physical cardgame actually did worse.

To me it sounds like we will get something closer to Bloodlines then a MMO from what I read here. Far cheaper to make after all and easier to make into a large success.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    demodar said:

Call me when you make an actual MMORPG , so i can care.

I'm with you 100%
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Seeing as this is my favourite IP of all time, I've started to loathe other humans (especially those in MMOS), and I LOVE Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines... This is excellent news for me. 

MMOs tend to be paper thin with no lore/story/narrative, so.... I couldn't be happier with the move to make an RPG instead.
    Allerleirauh

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• DecklandEricBrehenyDecklandEricBreheny Member CommonPosts: 5

tawess said:

demodar said:

I hope Disney buys out Whitewolf they did it to Star Wars and Star Trek.
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Why would you resurrect this from the dead? (no pun intended) See https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7291252/#Comment_7291252
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Why would you resurrect this from the dead? (no pun intended) See https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7291252/#Comment_7291252
    Don't believe a single thing you see in the media/marketing.
    My hunch is they simply bought into a few businesses and now have partial rights so are just going to see what kind of interest is out there.
    There is a reason it got axed,VERY little interest and i doubt anything has changed.
    Another hunch,they will never invest their own money,if anything comes of this ,it will be a crowd funded game,zero risk,free money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.