Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Ode to Star Wars from the Devs Who Make the Games

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageAn Ode to Star Wars from the Devs Who Make the Games

By now, our UK compatriots have begun to file in and see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Tonight, many of us here at MMORPG will as well. To keep the spirit of the Force going, we reached out to some of gaming's past and present Star Wars maestros to snatch their memories from working on the beloved IP...

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    "It's too close to the holidays to fix our broken Rakghoul event, it'll come back Jan. 12th, Happy Holidays from BioWare!"

Charles Boyd, fix your product.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited December 2015

Charles Boyd, fix your product.
    You do know he's a writer, right? =P
    You may actually know more about coding than he does!

On topic; nice article! I imagine it's been great fun for all of those devs and writers to create stories in such a great universe! :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Ill tell you who it isnt fun for the mass exodus leaving tor more and more! The problem is greed mainly from electronic a holes and that god aweful engine tor uses /smh I hope theres a newer star wars mmo based on the new movies because swtor just blew it BIG time from launch to now everything is about enticing you to stay with 0 new content LOL uuugh. Swgemu is where its at people even the carebears are jumping ship now with tor ICEBERG STRAIGHT AHEAD! subscribe by the time we hit this iceberg and get a free life raft!
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    MisterZebub said:
    Here's a little The Force Awakens spoiler for you. Chewbacca kills Dumbledore.

And is it just me, or does anyone else see SW ToR not as a Star Wars game but as a Knights of the Old Republic game?

I can see what you are saying, but to me KOTOR was cool because it was a D20 game complete with skills and all that. SWTOR is too watered down (on many fronts) to have a lot of kinship with the first Old Republic game.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    We've updated this feature with Raph Koster's take on page 2!
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2015
    Oh the memories...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MisterZebub said:

And is it just me, or does anyone else see SW ToR not as a Star Wars game but as a Knights of the Old Republic game?

That is exactly what i have been saying for a long time,there was literally almost no creativity beyond taking the exact same concept and adding in a login screen.
    I love the movies,watched the very first one in the back of a station wagon.Can't say i hate the games but they are not that great either,not what i expected from an Epic Ip.

There were bits and pieces of good stuff but overall you just go from zone to zone doing the same thing,unlocking red rooms,entering green rooms and hearing about some conspiracy theory for a story.

I expect this new movie to bring back the EPIC feeling of a Star Wars product,too bad game directors/producers are not as talented.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I loved star wars. That opening scene with the star destroyer and the long shot of it passing by was amazing. My parents eventually went to see it and they didn't get why people loved it.

Empire was the first movie that I walked out of wanting to see the next movie right away! Both are great. Then there was the dark times, jar jar and the child anakin [NOTE: grown up anakin wasn't better].

Looking forward to 7. Let's hope it is o7.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited December 2015
    MisterZebub said:

No one ever said it wasn't a KoTOR game, and that doesn't make it any less a SW game either. I didn't want a KoTOR MMO, and it seems neither did you. But even I will admit, that what they did produce is good, for what it is. An interactive story in an MMO game environment.

I was in sixth grade in 1977. A friend came in Monday, and told us of this movie with little men with squeaky voices and glowing eyes (Jawas). He was so excited and thrild. I had not seen a commercial or even knew Star Wars was coming out.

I have played every SW game for the PC and enjoyed just about all of them. I thank these people for their towards PC gaming and the SW genre.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• slaveuszslaveusz Member UncommonPosts: 9
    eee Swtor good game only greedy
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited December 2015
    Konfess said:
    MisterZebub said:

No one ever said it wasn't a KoTOR game, and that doesn't make it any less a SW game either. I didn't want a KoTOR MMO, and it seems neither did you. But even I will admit, that what they did produce is good, for what it is. An interactive story in an MMO game environment.

I was in sixth grade in 1977. A friend came in Monday, and told us of this movie with little men with squeaky voices and glowing eyes (Jawas). He was so excited and thrild. I had not seen a commercial or even knew Star Wars was coming out.

I have played every SW game for the PC and enjoyed just about all of them. I thank these people for their towards PC gaming and the SW genre.

------------------- Imagine with an even smaller budget if they used a proper engine to make their game as a kotor game but with mmo combat, mmo classes but short story and small enironments and instanced pvp with some open world. It would be much more better recieved imo.

Problem is marketting. When people hear single player it has to fit a certain mold. When its an MMO it has to fit a certain mold.

A single player with mmo combat, and some online features would not sound attractive to many. But imo would have been better if they made every aspect of the game of high quality such as not having filler side quests that were meaningless, or having mini games such as swoop racing, more character customization, and may be even some more mature themed content such as gambling with pazaak, and bounty hunting.

Makes you wonder how even with instanced pvp, if the engine could handle it, they could have large pvp scenarios that would be much more fitting of an action packed open world even but 'instanced', and we would be none the wiser.

Oh well, attleast there is battlefront, and swtor and possibly more. Sw7 was good, and there are 2 more movies down the line.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Truth is I miss SWG I would love to see them remake this , but keep it to the original form as when it was launch less the bugs tho :)
  • Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    I loved swtor my first playthrough. WIth the new movie coming out I went to try it again. How do people take it seriously? Naked men with cowboy hats running around... I laughed , then had a moment of silence for what bioware did to star wars.

Love all the other games listed though.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I read that Battlefront was the biggest selling Star Wars game in history. That makes me sad for Star Wars games in general. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SWG was the first game that really hooked me on MMO's. KOTOR2 was fun also. I completely missed the first KOTOR for like ten years, don't know how that happened.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• delta9delta9 Member UncommonPosts: 358
    That first image :(

RIP SWG
  • ZendaiZendai Member UncommonPosts: 115
    starwarsnut said:
    Ill tell you who it isnt fun for the mass exodus leaving tor more and more! The problem is greed mainly from electronic a holes and that god aweful engine tor uses /smh I hope theres a newer star wars mmo based on the new movies because swtor just blew it BIG time from launch to now everything is about enticing you to stay with 0 new content LOL uuugh. Swgemu is where its at people even the carebears are jumping ship now with tor ICEBERG STRAIGHT AHEAD! subscribe by the time we hit this iceberg and get a free life raft!

As typical with MMORPG.com there is a cult of people that have to make every Star Wars article about how much they hate SWTOR. This comments section is more mild than most with some positive support for the game, which is not normal.

I love how the term "carebears" is being thrown around as a derogatory term for people that actually like the game. Far kinder term than the one I use for the people that spend all their time spreading the hate. I love how despite how far we have come and the great things that are produced for the market these days, games are always picked apart by people that apparently can't be satisfied. With anything.

As with SWTOR, which has a lot of great things going for it that is ignored because of people focusing on the few not so great things, I really enjoyed Star Wars VII : The Force Awakens. A fantastic example of a studio, writers, and directors taking an great universe and showing what talent can achieve (as opposed to the talent-less prequels that ended up being the vision of a dollar store novelist/b-movie director that failed in every way to set up the epic story of the original trilogy). Probably should have let people help you direct those movies Lucas, probably could have made more money and not required you to sell so that we could see more Star Wars.

I am very excited for the future of Star Wars concerning both the future games and movies. I first watch "A New Hope" when I was 5 years old. My uncle was a huge Star Wars enthusiast and being his favorite nephew at the time, it wasn't long before I was introduced to the amazing story. Been hooked ever since, my first PC game experience being Tie Fighter, the X-Wing, then Dark Forces and so on. Since then I have played pretty much any Star Wars game that was released, any book that was written, even explored the table top RPG's and fan fiction for a time (some I even wrote myself). I also had the pleasure of introducing my oldest boy who is 5 to his first cinematic release of Star Wars, hopefully a memory we can both share in the future.

Thank you so much devs for the hard work and star wars video gaming, I have lost many years of my life to your games. Thank you for the article MMORPG.com it was a pleasant read, and some nice appreciation for the Universe we all have spent so much of our lives invested in.
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Demmi77 said:
    I loved swtor my first playthrough. WIth the new movie coming out I went to try it again. How do people take it seriously? Naked men with cowboy hats running around... I laughed , then had a moment of silence for what bioware did to star wars.

Love all the other games listed though.

That's not Bioware's fault, any more than the stupidity which dominates SW Battlefront is DICE's fault. It's solely the fault of the players behaving in such ridiculous fashion. Bioware made plenty of mistakes with the game. There's no need to attribute things beyond their control to them as well.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    edited December 2015
    waynejr2 said:
    I loved star wars. That opening scene with the star destroyer and the long shot of it passing by was amazing. My parents eventually went to see it and they didn't get why people loved it.

Empire was the first movie that I walked out of wanting to see the next movie right away! Both are great. Then there was the dark times, jar jar and the child anakin [NOTE: grown up anakin wasn't better].

Looking forward to 7. Let's hope it is o7.
    Just saw the movie.

I went in expecting an amazing experience and walked out feeling like I got even more than that. If you're a fan of the old Star Wars films get ready for one hell of a ride.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• beelbeel Member CommonPosts: 1
    for anyone reading of influence, bring back original star wars galaxies, it would make tons of money, trust me on this
  • kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    call me crazy, but the fact that people still stand up for SWTOR and call it a good game really shows me how dumbed-down the market and average players have become. People would rather settle for mediocre "story telling" than be able to create and do whatever they want when a vast array of choices are given to them. I would love to see a return of an SWG style Star Wars game. How can the linear, segmented, corridor-like, and immersion-breaking game play of SWTOR be appealing over having many vast planets to explore and build cities on (each with a night and day cycle, I might add), establishing a thriving community while making personal connections, character freedom, atmospheric flight, and full space exploration (not some stupid queue'd pvp mini game)? Basically, a near seamless galaxy to explore and play in and not just some "go here, do this, wait in queue" game.