Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Call to Experienced player

GargouilGargouil Member Posts: 13

Hello felow EQ player.

I am new to EQ and love it so far, i just have a little difficulty to find my place in the world. I got a Retail version of the game, in a box etc etc.. and the user manual was like 4 page.. the very basic about command like how to create/move your char.

Now my problem is i feel lost, i feel like if i've been dropped in a huge game without instruction. What's the goal in this games, what kind of achievement are you heading to ? For exemple in WoW this was easy, goal was to get 60 asap and play instance to get your epic kit, or play BG to get rank 14.. What about EQ ? What i need to do ?

So far there is a lot fo quest so i guess i'll do quest, but is that only that ? I know the game name is "Everquest" but heh, only quest ? forever ?

I Know this game isn'T very customizable like WoW but i'd like if some high lvl could post me screenshot of how they organinsed ther interface, chat window, bars etc.. I feel like my chat window take too much space, but if i try to reduce the char i can't read anything, and i have 1152x864 resolution.

Thanks

Anash, Warden
Permafrost Server

Comments

• neschrianeschria Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

re: customization -- http://eq2interface.com/ ... I am new to EQ2 and haven't used this site yet, but I DID use the EQ1 side of the site for that game, and found that the UI for EQ1 was very, very customizable. I am guessing EQ2 is too.

But, of course, I could be wrong, and if I am, I am sure someone will say so. image

This is where I draw the line: __________________.

• ObadnoObadno Member Posts: 401

Originally posted by Gargouil

Hello felow EQ player.
    I am new to EQ and love it so far, i just have a little difficulty to find my place in the world. I got a Retail version of the game, in a box etc etc.. and the user manual was like 4 page.. the very basic about command like how to create/move your char.
    Now my problem is i feel lost, i feel like if i've been dropped in a huge game without instruction. What's the goal in this games, what kind of achievement are you heading to ? For exemple in WoW this was easy, goal was to get 60 asap and play instance to get your epic kit, or play BG to get rank 14.. What about EQ ? What i need to do ?
    So far there is a lot fo quest so i guess i'll do quest, but is that only that ? I know the game name is "Everquest" but heh, only quest ? forever ?

I Know this game isn'T very customizable like WoW but i'd like if some high lvl could post me screenshot of how they organinsed ther interface, chat window, bars etc.. I feel like my chat window take too much space, but if i try to reduce the char i can't read anything, and i have 1152x864 resolution.
    Thanks
    Anash, Warden
    Permafrost Server

On the contrary friend, this game is far more costomizable than WoW, in everything, Especially the interface, you can arange it in any way you want, in WoW all you can do is set the size and add hotbars in pre-set locations

in Eq2 you can move everything anyware you want

your imfprmation is wrong

The new EQ2, better than ever befor !
    don't click this link...

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

Originally posted by Obadno
    On the contrary friend, this game is far more costomizable than WoW, in everything, Especially the interface, you can arange it in any way you want, in WoW all you can do is set the size and add hotbars in pre-set locations
    in Eq2 you can move everything anyware you want
    your imfprmation is wrong

You obviously haven't played wow then. Since you can move anything wherever you want. You can even add custom textures to your UI to make it unic. I've even seen a mod that made the UI look exactly the same as in EQ2, even the textures.

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

[quote]Originally posted by Gargouil
    [b]Hello felow EQ player.

Thanks
    Anash, WardenPermafrost Server

As mentioned above, check http://www.eq2interface.com/ (I use Profit personally, check the Forums->Released thread for it). EQ2 is highly customizable, not to the extreme of WoW. While some UIs have some additional functionality, it's mostly about appearance. Which is a good thing, as in WoW you could create mods that auto-cast or otherwise play a portion of the game for you (SmartPet, for instance).

As for the goal, it depends on what you're looking for. Quests are a big part of Everquest 2 (and some of them, being progressive and storyline-based are quite fun), but there are quite a few other goals. Guilds, for instance, gain xp and levels by performing specific tasks (writs, heritage quests). There's quite a lot of raid content (quite more than WoW's) and there's even some raids from as low as lvl 20. There's also many interesting zones if you like exploring (and there's locations that simply questing won't lead you to).

But I generally do not find such a question as fitting for MMORPGs. Being open-ended, it's the player who sets his own goals for his game time. The game only provides you the opportunities.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    My goal:
    Have a blast with all my irl friends who are pre-WoW players, PvP with them, raid instances, create a nice guild and craft alot! image

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• GargouilGargouil Member Posts: 13

Excellent i'll have a look at this site

thanks a lot

• NecianNecian Member Posts: 73

I guess this game, like any MMO is going to be what you make it. I've learned the crafting system, and love it more than adventuring (though I'm honestly not looking forward to the new crafting changes they're bringing to make it easier for everyone). So I spend a lot more time at the crafting tables than I do out in the fields and forests fighting stuff.

There are plenty of quests too, my favorite being the long Heritage Quests where you're usually forced to work with a large group of people to bring down the named mobs you usually run away with while soloing.

If you don't feel like questing, feel free to grind to 50, or with the expansions, 70. You can always go about searching for Epic monster spawns and try playing for the loot as well.

Mostly the people in the game are great fun to speak to and play with. Now and then you get people who aren't fun, but that's just how the world works.

Was your manual really 4 pages long? Or were you exagerating? Seems like when I got the game almost a year ago the manual was fairly large. Perhaps even too large because I could never quite find what I wanted in it until I didn't need the information anymore. Just make sure to talk to the people on the Isle about how things work in the game. They'll explain everything, as far as I can tell, that you'll need to know.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Necian

(though I'm honestly not looking forward to the new crafting changes they're bringing to make it easier for everyone).

... are you serious? Link? If this is true I am personally going to shoot the developers in their heads.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• NecianNecian Member Posts: 73

This change is supposed to be happening with Live Update 21. From what my guild has said, they're now trying it out on the test server. Sometime between when I quit back in July and now they changed the crafting system for levels 1-20, so that it became a "throw everything in a pot" sort of crafting. After level 20, it became the tier'd pieces, where you make all the individual pieces (i.e.- carpenter makes a strut, dowel, and planed ash to make a bookcase, and each of those pieces needed to be made at a different crafting station). Now they're going to make the whole thing like levels 1-20.

While I'm happy about this for one of my characters, who is a level 20 sage and I can't stand making dyes and inks and all the other junk that it takes to make one scroll. But for my carpenter, who just got to 34 last night, making those individual pieces is what helps me grind to my next level faster (Carpenters start getting 2-3 recipes a level only after level 30), and also limits the number of items for sale on the market that are the same as what I'm selling.

So this change is both good and bad. If you like the way they made it for the 1-20's, then you'll likely be ok for it. I'm just a little weary of the changes because of my carpenter, and because in general I really like making furniture in the game, despite all the little pieces I have to make in order to actually build something.

Edit: After looking at the developers boards on the EQ2 forums, I see that these changes won't be happening with LU21. It appears they'll be phased in gradually, and not for awhile yet.