Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In a Nutshell: The Real Reasons for Star Citizen Hate

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
Star Citizen has a Love/Hate relationship with most PC Gamer's including myself.
On one hand, whether you are a long time Chris Roberts fan (me) or new to his games, the man has a way of making things very exciting,  interesting and hard to ignore.
We like what he proposes, promises, and dreams of creating, and get very very excited.
Excited to the point where many of us shell out big time bucks for ships in Star Citizen (me).

Unfortunately, all the hype and excitement for his games, create a very high bar to be met, and expectations are high across the board.
Whenever, there is any kind of set back, negative news, or slow progress with Star Citizen, many and especially myself go into panic mode.
We begin to think about his past games, especially "Freelancer", where for a variety of reasons expectations and promises were not met.
The reasons no longer matter, as most PC Gamer's have gotten very tired of hearing company after company, developer after developer providing excuses as to why their game did not meet expectations.
This includes Chris Roberts...as reputations are quick to materialize and slow to fade if ever, in the PC Gaming Industry.
Thus, when we look at the TON of money people have spent and given to Chris Roberts for Star Citizen we expect results.

The dual edge sword of generating excitement has come back to bite Chris Roberts, as most people  feel they have not seen the results expected from such a HUGE sum of money being made available to him.
Accusations of scams, rip off's, and sport car buying  frenzies abound.
And I have not only bought into these rumors, but have even fed into them myself.
It is hard not to...we all want Chris Roberts and Star Citizen to exceed, but each person has their own standard of what success is, even during the games Alpha.

IMHO, the results of development so far  do not match the huge money ingested, and hence the frustration and anger of many.

If I can give any advice to Chris Roberts, I would tell him to stop the "feature creep" or at least control it, as he can always add features above and beyond what was originally promised later...and just get what he promised finished and/or at least at a better pace of results.
Otherwise, such feature creep creates a carrot and stick impression, that the game even in its most basic and original form will never get done, because someone keeps trying to add stuff, and moreover continue working on ways to get our money instead.

Many will say that people who complain do not know what goes into game development of this scope...that is probably true, but it is not our burden.
All we ask is that you deliver results at a pace at least equal to the amount of energy expended into taking our money.
And so far it seems, that is where most of the games results come from, i.e. the website, system, mechanics, marketing and design to take our money.
I would propose that Chris Roberts has already done enough, maybe too much in that regard, and needs instead  to spend more time providing development results that match not only the amount of money taken in, but exceeds the time, effort and money spent for features that take our money.

I think that is a reasonable expectation.

Comments

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    I think that you made an excellent post sir.

I could add one thing more. Besides stopping with the feature creep, which is not just associated or described in Stretch goals, but its all over the project, they should stop with the cash grabbing attitude.

These JPEG sales, those prices, all them make all the issues with the project becoming exponential.

And if Chris was lying all the time about financials, to pretend a vibe of success, etc. etc., even if it was for "the greater good" in his perspective, it is unfair with people, with consumers, with the game industry, because it does not impact just him, but how all these not satisfied consumers will look to any opportunity/project again. I mean, at this case, he should just resign in my opinion, as any CEO would if got in this kind of fraud with consumers, affecting the trust and the image of the company.

But if the reports were true and they are safe on money, they shouldn't push as they are pushing.

Even because it does not make sense. Knowing as people behave and that the target market is niche, you should care more with your niche, meaning that you would preserve people coming earlier when the project is not ready to deal with that. Instead, the do the opposite and promote more and more free times and low entry packages. They are risking to ruin with more people, due the long and suffering road that they have ahead to finish this monster. Unnecessary. Short-sighted. A good marketing strategy knows when to stop and adapt to what is more important in the long term.

So, these, I think, impacts even more to the perception of the public and in the end results, than even the feature creep issue. The feature creep issue would be more accepted, as delays and bugs and lack of progress, if they were not insanely pursuiting to milk people or transparently focused on fishing whales, regardless how many they would disappoint in the process. A visible disregard with consumer satisfaction.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    We need more redundant SC posts. We have not met our SC spam quota yet.

And then they ask why?
  • blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Greed knows no bounds, nor will satisfy with what it has. It's an all consuming drive for more ...  more ...more. 

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

edited December 2015
    The OP should just change the title... instead "hate" using the word "skepticism/criticism", or change it at all, with something like "Star Citizen and the double edge sword effect"
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    edited December 2015

This is probably the most rational SC post I have ever read on these forums.  It is my understanding at this point that this is exactly where they are at in the development cycle, trying to assemble all the systems into one workable game in a playable state.

The reason the hype machine continues is because they have hired people to do that, and that's their skill set, they cant move them over to animations, or netcode, or rigging.  So the hype continues. I supposed they can lay them off?

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    jcrg99 said:
    I think that you made an excellent post sir.

I could add one thing more. Besides stopping with the feature creep, which is not just associated or described in Stretch goals, but its all over the project, they should stop with the cash grabbing attitude.

These JPEG sales, those prices, all them make all the issues with the project becoming exponential.

And if Chris was lying all the time about financials, to pretend a vibe of success, etc. etc., even if it was for "the greater good" in his perspective, it is unfair with people, with consumers, with the game industry, because it does not impact just him, but how all these not satisfied consumers will look to any opportunity/project again. I mean, at this case, he should just resign in my opinion, as any CEO would if got in this kind of fraud with consumers, affecting the trust and the image of the company.

But if the reports were true and they are safe on money, they shouldn't push as they are pushing.

Even because it does not make sense. Knowing as people behave and that the target market is niche, you should care more with your niche, meaning that you would preserve people coming earlier when the project is not ready to deal with that. Instead, the do the opposite and promote more and more free times and low entry packages. They are risking to ruin with more people, due the long and suffering road that they have ahead to finish this monster. Unnecessary. Short-sighted. A good marketing strategy knows when to stop and adapt to what is more important in the long term.

So, these, I think, impacts even more to the perception of the public and in the end results, than even the feature creep issue. The feature creep issue would be more accepted, as delays and bugs and lack of progress, if they were not insanely pursuiting to milk people or transparently focused on fishing whales, regardless how many they would disappoint in the process. A visible disregard with consumer satisfaction.
    I have been informed that the word 'hate' is politically incorrect

is that incorrect?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    jcrg99 said:
    The OP should just change the title... instead "hate" using the word "skepticism/criticism", or change it at all, with something like "Star Citizen and the double edge sword effect"
    if you would express objective criticism i would agree, but all you and brenics do is bashing CR and SC by any chance you get,  all day long. You do not intend to help the game getting better or share you opinions with others on a objective level, you just hate and rage on SC like DS does.
    In almost every post you bash CR and you spread lies about him, SC and CIG, without knowing CR, or working at CIG and the project.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

edited December 2015
    SEANMCAD said:

is that incorrect?
    I guess it depends. And even if someone "hate" Star Citizen, as some conspirators claim, I don't think that the fact that people "hate" anything, their opinions are automatically invalid, so, the point to raise the "hate" subject to try to justify the criticism or assume them as invalid is flawed.

You know... with hate and all, it did not mean that Darth Vader and Palpatine hadn't wisdom and weren't right in some of their thoughts.

And in case of the Star Citizen subject, the "hate" point is in general raised with this objective. People trying to use that card to dismiss points of view, in the lack of proper arguments, or because its just irritated, because the criticism affect them too much.

The same is valid for those who will call you a fanboy. They can call you that. Maybe you are. But that means absolutely nothing. Just that you are more biased and is more interested to advertise than discuss, meaning, no focus on honest, open minded discussion.

People shouldn't be offended because other people have different opinions or agendas too. What matters are the points raised, regardless agenda.
    jcrg99 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

is that incorrect?
    I guess it depends. And even if someone "hate" Star Citizen, as some conspirators claim, I don't think that the fact that people "hate" anything, their opinions are automatically invalid, so, the point to raise the "hate" subject to try to justify the criticism or assume them as invalid is flawed.

You know... with hate and all, it did not mean that Darth Vader and Palpatine hadn't wisdom.

And in case of the Star Citizen subject, the "hate" point is in general raised with this objective.
    I am not following you

are you saying the title of this thread is just as unfair as mine or not?

edited December 2015
    SEANMCAD said:
    jcrg99 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

is that incorrect?

You know... with hate and all, it did not mean that Darth Vader and Palpatine hadn't wisdom.

And in case of the Star Citizen subject, the "hate" point is in general raised with this objective.
    I am not following you

I don't remember to criticize or argument against the title of your thread. I criticized your point of view regarding the hate itself, which was associated as a "hate to Star Citizen". Nobody hates Star Citizen. People just have different opinions about if they doing the right or wrong thing to make Star Citizen, a long-term success... for the gamers... for the game industry... not for the personal pockets of some idol.

And most of people are not worried to make Star Citizen to appear better than it is, or CIG/CR more capable than they are. The fans are more worried with that, so they think that everyone should, meaning ignoring anything that they do wrong, and just applaud and trust, OR, means that "they hate the game".
    edited December 2015
    jcrg99 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    jcrg99 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

is that incorrect?

I am not following you

I don't remember to criticize or argument against the title of your thread. I criticized your point of view regarding the hate itself, which was associated as a "hate to Star Citizen". Nobody hates Star Citizen. People just have different opinions about if they doing the right or wrong thing to make Star Citizen, a long-term success... for the gamers... for the game industry... not for the personal pockets of some idol.

And most of people are not worried to make Star Citizen to appear better than it is, or CIG/CR more capable than they are. The fans are more worried with that, so they think that everyone should, meaning ignoring anything that they do wrong, and just applaud and trust, OR, means that "they hate the game".
    That is the second time you have completely contradicted yourself.

Words are used to express oneselve but now you are saying its not the words but the expression which is seen in the words.....silly its just hypocrisy.

goboygo said:

This is probably the most rational SC post I have ever read on these forums.  It is my understanding at this point that this is exactly where they are at in the development cycle, trying to assemble all the systems into one workable game in a playable state.

The reason the hype machine continues is because they have hired people to do that, and that's their skill set, they cant move them over to animations, or netcode, or rigging.  So the hype continues. I supposed they can lay them off?

They laid off a lot of actual developers and called them doing redundant work, etc. So yes, even Chris Roberts can resign and it does not mean that wouldn't be a good call.
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Closing this because there are already threads about "hate", including one right here on the front page. We don't need a separate thread for every single person's opinion.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.