Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2015 Disappointment of the Year Award

ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
This game would win easily. Seriously shocked they had the balls to overhype this garbage heap. Sword Coast Legends is so bad it didn't even effect the Neverwinter Nights community, nor did it effect Pillars of Eternity. Kinda like how 5th edition didn't even make a dent in Pathfinder sales.

Wizards of the Coast really needs to sell off the D&D name to those more deserving because they've been clueless for the better part of a decade now.

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2015
    I downloaded the game on steam today when i saw the free weekend and was greeted with an account creation window. That was the fastest uninstall ever. I have a page full of PC game accounts. It drives me nuts. If a game is launching on steam, tie the damn game to the steam account.

The last thing i want is to keep making more accounts to play on PC, much less on the same platform (steam).

EDIT: sorry i got nothing to say about the game lol... was not willing to create just another account.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    So many legit reasons to hate this game and you pick a nonsensical one......
    edited December 2015
    So many legit reasons to hate this game and you pick a nonsensical one......
    to be fair, i couldnt give any reason without actually playing it (for the reason i gave above).

With that said, since this is a CRPG, it looks like its point and click only. If there is no controller/WASD support then there you go, big disappointment for me.

This game was designed as a successor to Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, etc. None of which had controller support. Yet another nonsensical reason. Next you'll tell us you were disappointed in the lack of laser weapons & time travel :surprised: 
    In 2015 lack of options on how to play the game is not nonsensical unless its an RTS or a card game. No matter how much of a successor of old games this is, proper control options are a must. But hey, people are sleeping at this time, tomorrow you will get more answers from people who played this game.

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    @Thebeasttt, why are his reasons for disliking the game any less valid than yours? 

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    ... Next you'll tell us you were disappointed in the lack of laser weapons & time travel :surprised: 
    Hey! It's not Ultima.  B)

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Well since the title is Disappointment of the year award, there's probably a few other titles that people want to throw in the ring.

Whilst we're on D&D - got to add Neverwinter, and one of the worst expansions in mmo gaming - Module 6.
    Which was announced to the player base in January 2015, but didn't arrive until 4 months later after several delays.
    And when it did arrive - the population took a look - and left.
    Later on in the year Mod 7, then Mod 8 and still no end to the ruination of what used to be a decent enough game.

So my vote - Neverwinter

• BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    The most disappointing game of 2015, hands down....  without competition....  Pathfinder Online.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

Pathfinder never officially launched so not sure it counts. Plus no one thought it would be good the moment the NDA dropped, Sword Coast Legends had a TON of hype behind it.

And Neverwinter Online was terrible from the beginning. Expansions are like polishing a turd at this point.
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    yeah im glad i canceled my pre order on steam just after they delayed the realease by a week or so
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    For me it wasn't so much how bad the game is (it's bad,) but how they lied about it and somehow game journalists were complacent in that lie.  They purposely mislead people about the game and what was possible with it.  It might not have been criminal, but it was sure unethical.  
  • stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    edited February 2016
     Kinda like how 5th edition didn't even make a dent in Pathfinder sales.

No. Fifth edition has outsold Pathfinder since it came out. You may be right about Sword Coast Legends, but you aren't about that. I would also say that PFO would give it a close run as it is also quite sucky.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Kinda like how 5th edition didn't even make a dent in Pathfinder sales.

No. Fifth edition has outsold Pathfinder since it came out. You may be right about Sword Coast Legends, but you aren't about that. I would also say that PFO would give it a close run as it is also quite sucky.
    Yeah you're right. I meant to say 4th edition but I'm surprised 5th is doing so well. And PFO is definitely hot garbage as well.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    For me it wasn't so much how bad the game is (it's bad,) but how they lied about it and somehow game journalists were complacent in that lie.  They purposely mislead people about the game and what was possible with it.  It might not have been criminal, but it was sure unethical.  
    Exactly correct.

And this game plummeted to the $10 and under rack in record time. It is/was $10 for the last 10+ days. From a $40 title to $10 in slightly more than 3 months.

And there is still no one playing it.

This game was a failure because they did not put enough D&D in a D&D title and also because of all of the pre-release hype, for which the "for sale" gaming press was partly responsible, created high expectations (especially in regards to the DM toolset).

Another game that didn't live up to the hype, nothing to see here.

• MMOreaverMMOreaver Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Burntvet said:
    Exactly correct.

And this game plummeted to the $10 and under rack in record time. It is/was $10 for the last 10+ days. From a $40 title to $10 in slightly more than 3 months.

And there is still no one playing it.

This game was a failure because they did not put enough D&D in a D&D title and also because of all of the pre-release hype, for which the "for sale" gaming press was partly responsible, created high expectations (especially in regards to the DM toolset).

Another game that didn't live up to the hype, nothing to see here.

you´re both totally right! let´s see which game falls deep in 2016... ;D
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Hopefully, this is a lesson for future small developers.

It's not enough to say the real game will be released down the line. You have to release the game with meat on it - not just a hugely inferior version of what you're trying to emulate.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    DKLond said:

It's not enough to say the real game will be released down the line. You have to release the game with meat on it - not just a hugely inferior version of what you're trying to emulate.
    They're out of business now.  They lied and now their business is done.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    JudgeUK said:
    Well since the title is Disappointment of the year award, there's probably a few other titles that people want to throw in the ring.

Whilst we're on D&D - got to add Neverwinter, and one of the worst expansions in mmo gaming - Module 6.
    Which was announced to the player base in January 2015, but didn't arrive until 4 months later after several delays.
    And when it did arrive - the population took a look - and left.
    Later on in the year Mod 7, then Mod 8 and still no end to the ruination of what used to be a decent enough game.

So my vote - Neverwinter

I think neverwinter had a lot of potential.  I enjoyed the game and I thought the dungeons were good, but exploits ruined them.  The dungeons were challenging, but then they got nerfed.  The end game became sitting in the square trying to find a group.  I would literally log in, try to queue up a group for the advanced dungeons and wait over and hour without a bite. 
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    NSpace closed up shop, so....
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    DKLond said:
    NSpace closed up shop, so....
    The marketplace is not a forgiving place.

The devs promised all kinds of stuff pre-release and delivered on almost none of it.

Game is dead, and so is the company that made it.

Too bad, etc.etc, but not really. They did not do the job and paid the price.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    DKLond said:

I can think of one mmo in recent history that fits the bill...The Repopulation anyone?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

The sad part is WoTC is probably burying their heads in the sand over this one, writing off the failure as a lack of interest in Baldur's Gate style games, despite PoE's success.
  • joxxer22joxxer22 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited May 2016
          So let me get this strait. Filling in two lines one a email other a password is too much for the op? Hell I just used one I use many times already. Soon we  will be hearing people complain about having to open their eyes to see whats on the screen. Your complaint really shows a pettiness that is unbelievable. I have played the game with a couple of rl friends for a week now and its fun. We enjoy actually role playing as we move through the story line.  I think it has a good framework from which to pass away a few hours with your friends with. But if you where expecting a second coming of Christ you'll be disappointed.
        It is not one of those AAA titles that some hoped it would be that's for sure. But it surly isn't deserving of the award you wish to hand it either. 

PS I went back and looked and noticed I confused the first two posts. But still you whiners are pathetic. 
    joxxer22 said:
          So let me get this strait. Filling in two lines one a email other a password is too much for the op? Hell I just used one I use many times already. Soon we  will be hearing people complain about having to open their eyes to see whats on the screen. Your complaint really shows a pettiness that is unbelievable. I have played the game with a couple of rl friends for a week now and its fun. We enjoy actually role playing as we move through the story line.  I think it has a good framework from which to pass away a few hours with your friends with. But if you where expecting a second coming of Christ you'll be disappointed.
        It is not one of those AAA titles that some hoped it would be that's for sure. But it surly isn't deserving of the award you wish to hand it either. 

PS I went back and looked and noticed I confused the first two posts. But still you whiners are pathetic. 
    lmao the only thing that's pathetic is your reading comprehension.