Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom Enters Agreement with Conan Properties - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageFuncom Enters Agreement with Conan Properties - MMORPG.com News

Funcom and Conan Properties have entered into an agreement to make Funcom the preferred partner for all PC and console games based on Conan the Barbarian and Hyboria. Earlier in 2015, Funcom announced that a pair of new games would be introduced in 2016 and it is likely that at least one of them will be predicated around today's news.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Awesome. (Where's the previous site-engine's drooling smiley? :p )
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Huh ?

I thought Funcom was on the verge of either closing down or being bought by someone...

Now they have TWO new games in development ?

Great news !
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Po_gg said:
    They seem to come and go,sometimes i see the tools sometimes they are not there.I think at this point most realize this new website was a real bad decision.

As to this partnership,i just don't know.I can see why it happened,Funcom needs money,likely a real small agreement contract.Funcom keeps their business afloat and Conan gets a substantial cut of all profits.

I personally do not think any future Conan games will fare too well.I think AOC did ok not as godod as they hoped but was ok.I think what happens moving forward si they will streamline game design,so it will look like another DnD clone and that is not a good thing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    I think if they decided to go down the Conan MMO route again (upto date AoC woudl be awesome) all i hope is what ever game they make they learn from the serious balls up in the release of the AoC, the fact that even to this day this game still betters 90% of mmo for graphic, scene and combat sums up fact they had a massive hit on their hands, but being rushed out (about 3-6months too early) destroyed it....
    Sad really because to this day i still pop back, but brings tear to eye to see the desolation of what it could have been

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• DorrianDorrian Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I remember AoC being the MMO that drove everyone into upgrading there PC's. That game was brutal to run at launch. But I had ton of fun playing it!
  • Kr3senKr3sen Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Dorrian said:
    I remember AoC being the MMO that drove everyone into upgrading there PC's. That game was brutal to run at launch. But I had ton of fun playing it!

I would go back in a heartbeat if they changed that horrible combat system.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Funcom? There goes the combat animations....
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited December 2015
    I smell an AoC PS4 port :) That would be so giggity, giggity.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    I really enjoyed AoC, despite it's rocky launch. I look forward to seeing what they come up with!
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    AoC is amazing.  I wish I had appreciated it more back when it actually had a decent population.

How exactly is a company on the verge of bankruptcy a few months ago going to be able to complete a high quality Conan MMO without rushing it like last time...  this smells far more like a mobile Conan game is coming or if they're really ambitious a single player console game.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I thought Funcom was on the verge of closing.
  • UltorXUltorX Member UncommonPosts: 56
    How about actually putting some effort into the existing title before going for a cash-in with a new single player game? 
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I thought they did a fairly good job with AoC.  I think if they take some of the lessons learned, they could make a really good updated game.

I self identify as a monkey.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Gorwe said:
    A Conan single player RPG would be PHENOMENAL!

Enough with MMOs! Not everything needs to be Online...

Agreed. An open world RPG kind of like Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor would be amazing. Maybe the multiplayer could be arena fighting. Lots of good ideas could come from Conan.
    Have to agree as well, Funcom has such terrible luck with MMO's. It is a shame, they mostly deliver good ideas, but such terrible troubles on launch. Just death to the games they make it seems.
  • joeslowmoejoeslowmoe Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Gorwe said:

This, this, this!  Much rather it be in the vein of The Witcher 3 or DA:I than Mad max or SoM though.  The latter two were so repetitive with so little differing content.  Epic journeys through huge Hyborian landscapes with many branching story arcs would be lovely though! So much source material to pull from the game could be ridiculously huge and diverse.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Good to see the owners of the Conan license appreciate what Funcom did with the game, cause in all honesty it might have lacked certain MMORPG elements to make it a long term success and had a rocky start, it is in fact a damn fine Conan game and really lives up to the lore.
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Kr3sen said:
    Dorrian said:

I would go back in a heartbeat if they changed that horrible combat system.
    but its the combats systems thats the best part of the game..O.o  best combat in any MMO I played at least. espescially melee combat.
  • AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Gorwe said:

Agreed. An open world RPG kind of like Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor would be amazing. Maybe the multiplayer could be arena fighting. Lots of good ideas could come from Conan.
    This will never be on the scale of SoM or Mad Max, they dont have resourses for that by any means. I agree it would be awsome though
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Conan was fun but lacking in end game content when it was released, along with bugs like being able to attack cities(not battlekeeps) and the crashes early on. It was great doing the boss raids to get gear, but what killed it was lack of things to do after 6 months. Then the teir pvp combat armor gotten in instances ruined the game completely. They should have left the game open world pvp focus. 

If they didnt cut all the promised features the game would have been much better. I hope if they do release another mmo with Conan IP they flesh the game out fully and make sure it is great. Hopefully a sandbox version this time with action combat combos.

MurderHerd

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Quazal.A said:
    I think if they decided to go down the Conan MMO route again (upto date AoC woudl be awesome) all i hope is what ever game they make they learn from the serious balls up in the release of the AoC, the fact that even to this day this game still betters 90% of mmo for graphic, scene and combat sums up fact they had a massive hit on their hands, but being rushed out (about 3-6months too early) destroyed it....
    Sad really because to this day i still pop back, but brings tear to eye to see the desolation of what it could have been

You know it is funny you mention the graphics because when i played at release i remember the graphics being really good.Fast forward i have went back a couple times,i have better PC;'s now and the graphics look low end like they purposely lowered them to accommodate f2p/bandwidth.

Have you played it recently to determine if the graphics seem the same to you or is it just me?
    I am usually right on top of graphics, i love good quality graphics,puts a smile on m,y face,so yeah i take notice when something does not seem right.

Anyhow if they did release another game idk what they could do to improve it,they are not going to have the same budget,likely a smaller one.I can tell you what i would change and it wouldn't be that tough.

1 NO linear questing or unlocking houses with quests,keep an OPEN mmo world,not single player design with login screen.
    2 Better itemization/stats /gear ,that whole area was done cheap.
    Tortage was a nice idea,more creative thinking like that.
    3 Better combat structure with more depth and player>player interaction,basically quit copying WOW designs.You want YOUR game to have it's own identity,you don't want to feel like your playing WOW version 2.0.

These subtle changes and you have yourself a quality game with better longevity.I felt the game did some good things,i actually enjoyed it and had it around top 4 of all time but passed by a few games of late,none the less it had great potential.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Does that mean that they'll finally start to work on Age of Conan again? The game needs an update and other payment model badly...
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    CrazKanuk said:
    I smell an AoC PS4 port :) That would be so giggity, giggity.

I would go back to it in a heartbeat if that happens. The three directional basic attacks are a pain on a keyboard. It would be really good on a controller.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Po_gg said:
    I usually agree with you on most things AoC, so don't take this personal, but I have to disagree with you here.

The worst thing that can happen to the Conan properties and Age of Conan in particular is to continue on with Funcom.  This game needs to be bought by a company that has some liquid cash and gives two squirts of piss about this title.  Funcom isn't that company.  They've let this game rot and wither on the vine for about five years now, and this won't fix anything.

I'm actually disappointed to hear this news.  I guess we can look forward to another five years with no actual expansions, no class revamps, no crafting revamp, and re-purposing old models and old dungeons for more unchained modes.

Sorry if I sound negative and depressing about this, but I have completely lost all faith in Funcom to manage the Conan IP at this point.