Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to start a new mmorpg

WizardWithTheFaceWizardWithTheFace Member UncommonPosts: 7
So, bit of a backstory, I used to be into mmorpgs quite a lot, I raided, ran guilds, hopped mmos with friends, then a tragedy happened and I had to leave it all behind for about 2 and a half years and this last year I've done nothing but play solo games, and a few days back I've come to realize that I get pretty nostalgic when I don't have friends to play with and it gets kinda lonely. 
So I'm looking to get back into MMOs and have no clue where to start. Suggestions?

I'll list some of the things I'm after. At the moment, I don't want to get into pvp or deal with toxic players, I just want a beautiful world to explore with good people to enjoy talking to and raid with.
Also, great music, not something wacky and action packed, something that sends chills down your spine.

Mandatory
-No toxic community
-Friendly players
-Optional pvp only
-Vast, expansive, immersive, landscape
-Deep, immersive music
-PvE focus
-Ability to fly/ride on some sort of an air-travel system
-No Isometric view or first person, third person only

I'll list the game I've already played
-WoW
-PWI
-Aion
-Requiem: Memento Mori
-Age of Wushu

Comments

• MainframesMainframes Member CommonPosts: 4
    Lord of the rings online has perhaps the best community that any mmorpg can have, im saying this as iv played most mmorpg since online games existed, its posible to play solo or enjoy playing with any random player, joining a kin aka guild can change the view of anyone who had bad experiences with guilds, the graphics are awsome, you can play the game easily without spending money. a bit like wow u can quest to level or choose another path with skirmish, skirmish is like a dungeon u can solo. theres an awsome feature that u can play instruments using your keyboard, the notes are theoredicly accurate, its a game i highly suggest
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Guild Wars 2 has everything on your list minus the the flying/riding travel system. It uses a quick travel system where you click on waypoints on your map and you tp there for a small fee. Other than that it fits your list perfectly.

And I'd have to stress that the music is absolutely fantastic, as is the look of the game.
  • WizardWithTheFaceWizardWithTheFace Member UncommonPosts: 7
    How is GW2 in terms of mage classes? Is there a lot of diversity?
  • WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    edited December 2015
    FFXI hits all yours bullets. The only caveats are there is no PVP and while you can ride chocobos and use air travel neither are something you can summon at will but there is plenty of teleporting to make for speedy travel.

Lotro would be a good second choice if you asked me.

Also GW2 is not a PVE focus even with the added raids.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    edited December 2015
    GW2 Casters come in 3 flavours. Elementalist with 4 schools of magic, 3 damage, earth, air and fire and 1 healing, water. Necromancers, lots of dots and pets. Mesmer, very powerful class but quite subtle and hard to master, if played well they're very strong in PvP. All well developed and can be played in a variety of ways.
    @jmcdermottuk That sounds awesome! Do any of them have high damage AOEs? I'm sort of used to the Defilers in Requiem where you would place these Aoe spells that do supremely high damage over time and then another one that freezes ALL enemies in the area. Anything along those lines?
  • Liberators-MuLiberators-Mu Member UncommonPosts: 4
    WoW is a good choice:)
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    EQ2 may be a good fit .. the regular servers or TLE ... can try both out ...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well sadly you missed on the great FFXi ,in it's vanilla days was very good community,relaxing game.

Now a days,i would not suggest anything,they are all designed to be solo oriented games with end game raiding for greedy loot.
    These games are simply NOT designed around community or other players,they are single player games with a login screen,the anti mmo.

I do see some potential in the future though like Pantheon or Chronicles of Elyria are possibilities.COE seems to be making the biggest effort towards community with families and player interactions.
     I really feel almost any game can be a great community game if the players choose to allow it.However give them a reason to SPEED solo and ignore everything else and they likely go that route.

Players like to use the term forced grouping,well what i see a lot of is forced soloing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• StarplanStarplan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    FFXIV
    GW2
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Mabinogi.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    The Elder Scrolls Online, buy to play, large focus on pve but even as a pve player i find the pvp fun too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

If you want a community focused, group focused game, almost any pvp sandbox would fit in spades.  I dislike those games because there is no content.  I don't want to make my own content, I want the devs to make it for me. 

I am a mostly solo player while leveling because people who like to group are slow and annoying.  I want to make progress, not dilly dally with some slow minded nincompoop.  I work and have a family, I play to make progress and not have deal with annoying people who want to waste my time.  When I'm at cap I group, but I try and stick with people I know and that I know don't want to waste time.

People like me have money but very little free time.  Any game that causes me to spend all my play time looking for a group, or worse yet, running half way around the world just to buy a piece of equipment from someone's house like in SWG just will never appeal to me until I'm retired and have time to waste.

I've noticed that most of the slow pokes who love to take their time and smell the roses are usually unemployed and not looking for employment, such as being on SSD.  They have time to post on forums, something people with professional jobs (usually meaning they work far more than 40 hours a week) and a family and kids they don't want to ignore all the time, usually don't do, or rarely do.

But the answer to people who love grouping all the time really is the pvp sandboxes.  Grouping is basically a must to do anything.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2015
    [...] At the moment, I don't want to get into pvp or deal with toxic players, I just want a beautiful world to explore with good people to enjoy talking to and raid with.
    Also, great music, not something wacky and action packed, something that sends chills down your spine.

Mandatory
    -No toxic community
    -Friendly players
    -Optional pvp only
    -Vast, expansive, immersive, landscape
    -Deep, immersive music
    -PvE focus
    -Ability to fly/ride on some sort of an air-travel system
    -No Isometric view or first person, third person only

LotRO would be the perfect fit for all those - except the air travel system. I think the Eagles are only for special occasions and for a selected few passengers :wink:
    Besides that, it's a match. One of the best communities, friendly and mature. PvE only (PvMP is like a separate minigame, was added only after the game has already launched). Massive open landscape to explore. Music, the two OSTs by Chance are among the best game scores (first one even won some awards I think) and players can play music too, right from the start.

edit: later asked for mage classes. Well... no mages in LotRO, except those coloured one NPCs of Grey, and Brown, and White as a raid boss (but colour of magic is more like Pratchett anyways :wink: ) What it has is three light-armoured classes, mini is a healer through music (your regular burst/sustain healer), lore-master as the pet class and some conjuring cheap tricks, and rune-keeper, (the lore-breaking one) which is the closest to an mmo mage, has ranged spell damage and HoT heals.
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Try out EQ2
    edited December 2015
    Thanks for the replys all! You're all awesome! I've decided to go with Guild Wars 2 and Lord of the Rings Online and possibly EverQuest 2. If any of you run into a newbie who's name involves wizards and faces, feel free to say hello!
  • MainframesMainframes Member CommonPosts: 4
    as i said u wont regret lord of the rings online..the community itself shuts down trolls and childish behavior
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    edited December 2015
    I agree with LOTRO but would say NO to ESO until they fix the bugs, lag and other issues with it. Of course it is going on 2 years and they haven't fixed a lot of the bugs and lag. Plus they are starting to nickle and dime you with crown store. But saying all that ESO still has a certain pull on people but it is not like Skyrim but it does try to get close to the Elder Scrolls feeling.

LOTRO is a game that I always keep a sub going with! Oh and if you know how to setup SweetFX it makes the game even look better.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!