Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From Pupil to Planet - Star Citizen

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageFrom Pupil to Planet - Star Citizen

A brief introduction to our upcoming procedurally generated planet system. Learn more at robertsspaceindustries.com ------------------------------------------ Roberts Space Industries is a spacecraft manufacturer within the persistent-world game "Star Citizen" and its companion single-player spaceflight sim, "Squadron 42." RSI is also your portal for information, updates, and purchases of your very own spacecraft with which to trade, plunder, and protect the citizens of Star Citizen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited December 2015
    Unreal! Show me any developer doing more than this.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    GRRR
    I was just getting into the video and enjoying it when it abruptly ended before actually showing us anything.
    What has bothered me from day 1 is the "sell job".
    There is only a few textures used there and auto generating that surface/s takes but minutes,so why is there not more to show ,like an actual player on the planet or a ship landing all those assets should be long in the game even if not finalized.

What it looks like to me is a real fast,toss something together that hints at really good stuff but never really proves they are anywhere near past maybe an initial building of the game.

Obviously pulling off concepts is a lot tougher than a tease video but having said that,i understand there might be issues but show me you actually have something and not some quick video.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Wizardry said:
    GRRR
    I was just getting into the video and enjoying it when it abruptly ended before actually showing us anything.
    What has bothered me from day 1 is the "sell job".
    There is only a few textures used there and auto generating that surface/s takes but minutes,so why is there not more to show ,like an actual player on the planet or a ship landing all those assets should be long in the game even if not finalized.

What it looks like to me is a real fast,toss something together that hints at really good stuff but never really proves they are anywhere near past maybe an initial building of the game.

Obviously pulling off concepts is a lot tougher than a tease video but having said that,i understand there might be issues but show me you actually have something and not some quick video.
    That's the problem that SC has had from the very beginning.  Lots of noises pass through their lips about what they are planning to do without backing any of it up with in-game examples.

This is why an unknown segment of the population fear, or did fear, that the game was a big ponzi scam.

They need a new policy over at SC of:  Tell, Do, Show.  Tell us about it, Do it, Show it to us.  

Instead they have a policy of Tell, Tell, Tell some more, please give us more money, Tell some more.  Oh we promise we're doing it, but we need more money to do more of it.  Then after five years they finally get to the show phase and it's a shitty, forgettable, rip-off of Call of Dooty and perhaps(?) something that resembles Wing Commander... and there isn't any connective tissue binding them together.

Holy shit.  I just described every televangelist ever.  Guess it explains the rabid, eye twitching, cult following.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Well I hope they paid good for this advertising. nothing but vapor and a lot of smoke and mirrors. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Oh cool, so they've worked out how to bump map a sphere and wrap it in a repeating texture with some fog effects... now how about that 'game'?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    acidblood said:
    Oh cool, so they've worked out how to bump map a sphere and wrap it in a repeating texture with some fog effects... now how about that 'game'?

How about you try out Alpha 2.0 ... its open to all backers. Send in some bug reports, help make the game better. Like many of the backers do. Run missions, repair com satellites, PvP, explore.

You can try out ship dogfight in the Arena Commander module. Or ship racing.

You can check out your avatar in the Arccorp landing zone. Dance ;-) and/or chat with others.

You can PvP with your ship against other players ... try to make it on the leaderboard.

And when all this and more comes together, you will have the game you talk about.

Patience, young padawan, patience !

Have fun
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    Glad they went this route.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Brenics said:
    Well I hope they paid good for this advertising. nothing but vapor and a lot of smoke and mirrors. 

Dude lol what game are you going to troll next when this game releases?  Your posts are I guess at least entertaining because they cant be taking seriously at this point.

The only unknown I have about this game is the amount of time its going to take to do things, In Wing Commander you could accomplish allot in a 1 to 2 hour game session, the size and scope of this game is so massive I just wonder if it will take like 6 hours to accomplish the same things?

Anyone know?

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    acidblood said:

It is an early Prototype.

However, bump maps do not displace Geo, which completely proves you've no clue what you are talking about.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Unreal! Show me any developer doing more than this.
    I-Novae, February 2011:

Outerra, March 2012:

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

edited December 2015
    goboygo said:
    Brenics said:

Dude lol what game are you going to troll next when this game releases?  Your posts are I guess at least entertaining because they cant be taking seriously at this point.

The only unknown I have about this game is the amount of time its going to take to do things, In Wing Commander you could accomplish allot in a 1 to 2 hour game session, the size and scope of this game is so massive I just wonder if it will take like 6 hours to accomplish the same things?

Anyone know?

Which has his name on it but not really developed by CR, he had good people in the lead chair. A point you guys keep missing. CR has never made a game where he was lead chair. One company he was, never produced a game and is now dead. 

You really have to laugh in that video yesterday how pissed he was when he couldn't play his game. :-D

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Maybe was pissed but then he just remembers he has 100mil.

Haters gotta hate.
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Brenics said:

You really have to laugh in that video yesterday how pissed he was when he couldn't play his game. :-D
    As I am sure one of the richest men in the world with one of the largest companies in the world was mad when his new OS demo got a BSOD, his name was bill gates and he had hundreds of people working on that program.

Will you ever make a rational statement about this game?
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Xeno.phon said:
    Brenics said:

As I am sure one of the richest men in the world with one of the largest companies in the world was mad when his new OS demo got a BSOD, his name was bill gates and he had hundreds of people working on that program.

Will you ever make a rational statement about this game?
    Nope.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    And people wonder why SC is taking a few years to get finished ?

If this is what the game world will look like when it's ready, it's certainly worth waiting for.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Erillion said:
    acidblood said:

How about you try out Alpha 2.0 ... its open to all backers. Send in some bug reports, help make the game better. Like many of the backers do. Run missions, repair com satellites, PvP, explore.

You can try out ship dogfight in the Arena Commander module. Or ship racing.

You can check out your avatar in the Arccorp landing zone. Dance ;-) and/or chat with others.

You can PvP with your ship against other players ... try to make it on the leaderboard.

And when all this and more comes together, you will have the game you talk about.

Patience, young padawan, patience !

Have fun
    Tech demos does not a game make. Also, I'm not a backer, and won't be any time soon, because well, there are about a dozen other indie projects I would rather (and in some cases have) put money towards over SC. Not that I'm not interested in SC (really enjoyed wing commander back in the day), and I'll happily dump $100+ dollars on it if it turns out anywhere near what has been promised, I just have little to no faith in those in charge based on their actions so far.

spankybus said:
    acidblood said:

It is an early Prototype.

However, bump maps do not displace Geo, which completely proves you've no clue what you are talking about.
    You are right, bump maps don't actually displace anything, just give the illusion of it...
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Brenics said:
    You, DS, and others keep saying this and yet people are enjoying PU right now - and that was all smoke and mirrors - remember - it'll never see the light of day.   In fact you've constantly been saying SC will never see the light of day.  I bet it just burns your britches that you, DS and others are constantly being proven wrong. 
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I'm not a backer either, I've never spent a penny on a Kickstarter, so if everyone was like me this game would never be made.  But I'm really glad not everyone's like me.
    Teala said:
    Brenics said:
    You, DS, and others keep saying this and yet people are enjoying PU right now - and that was all smoke and mirrors - remember - it'll never see the light of day.   In fact you've constantly been saying SC will never see the light of day.  I bet it just burns your britches that you, DS and others are constantly being proven wrong. 
    Sorry alpha 2.0 do not make a game. Going to be an interesting 2016.

More so with the few little things that CR said when he couldn't play his own alpha. Seems like he is going to have a few things redone (again). Time and money, time and money.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Brenics said:
    Sorry alpha 2.0 do not make a game.
    Incidently it does.

Alpha --> Feature Complete Alpha --> Beta --> Squadron 42 --> Persistent Universe

Have fun