Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Ban Hammer Swings - Bans Range from 6-18 Months

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Ban Hammer Swings - Bans Range from 6-18 Months

Blizzard has posted on the World of Warcraft forum that the hammer has seen action recently with a 'large number' of accounts banned for use of bots, third party programs that automate game play. Penalties include removal of gold, PvP currency and gear. The last time the hammer slammed into bot users, accounts were banned for six months. In this latest action, Blizzard has said that repeat offenders will face a longer penalty.

Read the full story here

Comments

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    18 month bans? I'm impressed - I figured Blizzard would maximize the bans at "a week before Legion's release."
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    They know how addicted those that play are so they are never worried about monetary reasons.There are players running multiple accounts so Blizzard is rolling in the dough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    A quick review of their forum and I was amused by the amount of posters indignant at Blizzard for banning them for botting. They didn't deny they were botting, they were posting on the bot-creators forum of all things, but somehow are mad that Blizzard let them bot only to ban them months later after getting lots of money from them. "They should have banned me right away if they knew I was botting!"

Kids today are effin' amazing.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    How is removing gold,  PVP items and in some cases a 6 month suspension...........a ban.

They're not banned.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Kiyoris said:
    How is removing gold,  PVP items and in some cases a 6 month suspension...........a ban.

They're not banned.
    Suspension = ban.

A ban doesn't need to be permanent.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682
    ReallyNow10 said:
    About time. I've recently thought that WOW doesn't need a content patch so much as a player base patch. I hope they find a way to get rid of some of the raid jerks, but that may not be possible. Those are worse than bots, IMO.

WoW's fanbase has been the same class of people for the past 8-10 years, possibly since inception. That's one thing that is sure to never change at this point.

One the flip side, it's nice to know that particular segment of players do a good job of self-segregating themselves into WoW. It's same with EVE-Online: the Mos Eisley of the gaming universe, and the rest of us should just be glad they like it there so much.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Vrika said:
    Kiyoris said:

They're not banned.
    Suspension = ban.
    suspension is not the same as ban, don't be ridiculous

suspension is temporary, ban is permanent, seriously, I'm not about to redefine words to appease to you
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2015
    Kiyoris said:
    Vrika said:
    Kiyoris said:

They're not banned.
    Suspension = ban.

suspension is temporary, ban is permanent, seriously, I'm not about to redefine words to appease to you
    Suspension is the same as ban

mmorpg.com rules of conduct:
     Committing Minor Infractions at MMORPG.com will result in a first warning, followed by temporary bans. If the issue becomes chronic, a permanent ban will be considered

Dofus Terms of Use:
    • The one (1) day ban: The one-day ban is usually used upon the first substantial infringement of the TOU. It is the first step on the Account ban scale.
    • The three (3) day ban: The 3-day ban is usually used in cases of repeat offending. The 3-day ban will make you understand that you incur real risks by not complying with the TOU.
    • The seven (7) day ban: The 7 –day ban is usually used in cases of severe violations.
    • The fifteen (15) day ban: The 15-day ban is the most serious sanction before the final closure of the Account. When an Account is suspended for 15 days, you absolutely need to adopt an irreproachable conduct otherwise you risk being banned forever.
    • Definitive ban: The Account is permanently closed and you can no longer access it. This penalty is usually applied in cases of recurrence or of serious or unforgivable disregard for the TOU"

• Just-The-FactsJust-The-Facts Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Kiyoris said:

Vrika said:

Kiyoris said:

They're not banned.

Suspension = ban.

Ironically you ARE redefining the word. When actually the definition of the word Ban refers only to the ACT of prohibition and has absolutely no reference to length of time. Be it a minute or a year as long as you prohibit your target from whatever medium you are excluding them from, then it is indeed a Ban. Technically speaking, suspension and ban are just 2 different words for referring to the same concept.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Just-The-Facts said:
    Kiyoris said:

Vrika said:

Kiyoris said:

They're not banned.

Suspension = ban.

Ironically you ARE redefining the word. When actually the definition of the word Ban refers only to the ACT of prohibition and has absolutely no reference to length of time. Be it a minute or a year as long as you prohibit your target from whatever medium you are excluding them from, then it is indeed a Ban. Technically speaking, suspension and ban are just 2 different words for referring to the same concept.

Nicely replied. I hope he learned something.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I wonder whether things could get interesting. And why such a move might be termed suspension rather than ban. Consider:

Person buys WoW and spends money / time etc. to develop account.
    In this process the person did not use a "hack" but did use a "bot".
    Now assume the bot used is legal in the EU could Blizzard face legal action if people were "banned" rather than "suspended"?
    Note: the ToS won't help; companies, in the EU, are not allowed to impose conditions that override the law of the land.

In the US I don't think comparable rulings exist so it would be uncharted territory.