Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HYPE ALERT - New Open World Star Wars RPG (Mostly) Announced - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

wait...plus an 'open world' game that has hired a 'writer'?

oh this is going to go badly
    The Elder Scrolls games are "open world" and yet they have people writing quests/dialogue. 
    'people writing' and hiring the lead author of 'Uncharted' is not exactly the same thing. That was most likely the most success interactive novel in history, its light years away from 'open world' or am I wrong?

oh and by the way...do players even know the Elder Scrolls story? I know I do my best to completely ignore as much of it as possible even though I have about 400 hours of play time in Elder Scroll games
    Well, I have about 1,200 hours in Skyrim an yet I know the story.

I would LOVE to get my hands on some number of what % of players who play Skyrim know the story.

As it is though I have no idea I just know its one of my favorite games and I have no idea what the story line is. but as it is I am (1) so not much to measure on.

Regardless. I think having a story and hiring writers and hiring the lead author from Uncharted is not even close to the same thing

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    BillMurphy said:
    I like that you guys are taking the "let's be negative about it before we know anything about the game and hope to be surprised approach". I'll do the other one, and hopefully we'll meet in the middle.

I'd rather be cautious and pleasantly surprised than to be over hyped and not quite get what I hoped for. Having many disappointing moments over the last decade hasn't helped much in that regard.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    @BillMurphy Why on earth would you possibly take the "positive" outlook?  

Let's look at the recent history.

Star Wars 1313 - kaput
    Star Wars Attack Squadron - kaput

There are 3-5 f2p garbage SW games active right now, not including the trading card app and the old games that were ALSO f2p (and then summarily shut down... so much for paying for your content).

No... this is silly.  Don't get excited.  It will only disappoint.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:

The Elder Scrolls games are "open world" and yet they have people writing quests/dialogue. 
    'people writing' and hiring the lead author of 'Uncharted' is not exactly the same thing. That was most likely the most success interactive novel in history, its light years away from 'open world' or am I wrong?

oh and by the way...do players even know the Elder Scrolls story? I know I do my best to completely ignore as much of it as possible even though I have about 400 hours of play time in Elder Scroll games
    Well, I have about 1,200 hours in Skyrim an yet I know the story.

I would LOVE to get my hands on some number of what % of players who play Skyrim know the story.

As it is though I have no idea I just know its one of my favorite games and I have no idea what the story line is. but as it is I am (1) so not much to measure on.

Regardless. I think having a story and hiring writers and hiring the lead author from Uncharted is not even close to the same thing
    Well, let's see whta happens. Maybe you are correct and it will be more like a Dragon Age Inquistion than an Elder Scrolls game. 

Also, and just for giggles, I looked up my Skyrim hours and apparently I have 1,275! and counting. 
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

Well, let's see whta happens. Maybe you are correct and it will be more like a Dragon Age Inquistion than an Elder Scrolls game. 

Also, and just for giggles, I looked up my Skyrim hours and apparently I have 1,275! and counting. 
    speaking personally I am not even going to watch the progress of this one.

which of course exposes how bored I am even talking about it at the moment

• StevonStevon Member UncommonPosts: 221
    SEANMCAD said:
    step back and hold the phone..

given the history of Star Wars games and revial of things we think developers understand (John Smedley) there is every reason to only believe it when you watch reviews on it already having been completed.

if you hype on this you only have yourself to blame if it goes bad.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement.  If a game does not have top notch writing it will go badly, not the other way around.  Open world, whatever, has nothing to do about it.   Players looking for more than another point and shoot want quality writing.
    edited December 2015
    Stevon said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    step back and hold the phone..

given the history of Star Wars games and revial of things we think developers understand (John Smedley) there is every reason to only believe it when you watch reviews on it already having been completed.

if you hype on this you only have yourself to blame if it goes bad.

This is a pretty ridiculous statement.  If a game does not have top notch writing it will go badly, not the other way around.  Open world, whatever, has nothing to do about it.   Players looking for more than another point and shoot want quality writing.
    I could write a long essay on why I disagree but I will summerize is by saying its very hard to write a very good compeling narrative when players have options to change the world. Open World is just the opposite.

Open World and Narratives are in direct opposition to each other and its very hard to make the two co-exist on an execptional level.

open world = more options to change world and change outcome
    good Narrative = can be damaged by players changing the narrative.

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    The letters EA say enough. EA/Visceral. Notice the EA before the other? Yeah, the game will be rushed and complete trash. Thanks, but no thanks. I didn't waste my money on Battlefront EA which was a rushed messed and I won't waste my money on this either.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Daakkon said:
    This game will be p2w mark my words, this is ea. :(

They are making a single player game. It might be Star Wars Witcher/Skyrim.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    You can have good writing in open world, because you need to set the tone and the  lore of the world and the species in it.  However as this is a single player game and EA it will probably be an interactive movie. Not very interesting.
    Pala said:
    You can have good writing in open world, because you need to set the tone and the  lore of the world and the species in it.  However as this is a single player game and EA it will probably be an interactive movie. Not very interesting.
    Yeah I disagree.

reason I say that is what makes a really good open world is the ability for players to affect the world in so many variety of ways the developer themselves cant predict the outcome. 

The last thing a good narrative needs is someone constantly interrupting the story and taking it in directions the story teller didnt plan on.

D&D story telling works because the story teller (the DM) can change the story in direct response to the players actions. In a narrative a good story teller needs to control the outcome

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nice (provided they make a PC version). :)
  • UncleTopherUncleTopher Member UncommonPosts: 36
    If it was just about ANYONE other than EA, I would be super excited.... makes me sad to hear of another potential Star Wars game in the hands of a(n) inept, greedy, big game developer/ producer. Maybe Visceral is something special and able to pull this off.
    Tophiate
    Co-Founder of Elder Moot
    SotA Founder

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    As long as it is not a mobile game and does not have childish cartoon graphics. I am so sick of Star Wars and childish graphics and animation. Please be nothing like SWTOR and look nothing like The Clone Wars/Rebels.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I like that you guys are taking the "let's be negative about it before we know anything about the game and hope to be surprised approach". I'll do the other one, and hopefully we'll meet in the middle.

But Bill.... come on.... a GIRL?? Making a video game??? What'll they think of next? Color television? ;)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Shoot, she can vote too!
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm cautiously optimistic !

Certainly sounds like the most promising StarWars title in quite some time, which is refreshing.

Not an MMO ? Who cares ? I probably spend as much time playing (and replaying) SPG's as I do playing MMO's, so a well-made SPG in the SW IP will be most welcome...
  • weeseweese Member UncommonPosts: 3
    EA ? No, thanks!
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited December 2015
    Id love this game to include the nemysis system from Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I love star wars, but it is EA. They're almost as bad as SOE. I like the idea of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if halfway through the game you ran into an invisible wall and a pop up came up that said something like to continue buy this launch day DLC to continue the story XD
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well my curiosity have been awoken... Much like the force. Will keep an eye on this project but i am also keeping perspective given the history of the publisher.

Then again... as long as there are no radio towers to climb or Wookie pelts to collect i´l be happy.

This have been a good conversation

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275
    BillMurphy said:

ummm... its EA, we know enough
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I feel like I'm reading news from one year ago.  

It's been known since Amy Henning moved to Visceral in April 2014. It's a single player open world game. Although, this being EA, it will probably have a mp mode in it. It was also said that Jade Raymond's new studio was going to help making it with the press released about Motive Studios opening last July...

• PangscarPangscar Member UncommonPosts: 36
    edited December 2015

If it was BioWare making the game would be super hyped, even Bethesda would be great. But yeah bias against EA kills most of the hype.

and yeah just remembered BioWare is part of EA now but their writers are still around. The SWTOR story elements are great from what ive seen and heard. Wish they would do a true single player RPG again.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    If the space part is included, I'm hyped. If not, then I don't care. Star Wars games never seem to have the space part and it just doesn't feel like Star Wars to me without that.

Smile