Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best (Non-MMO) Star Wars Games of All Time

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Best (Non-MMO) Star Wars Games of All Time

The release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is upon us and we can imagine that many of you out there are going to be hankering for some fun Star Wars gaming once you’ve left the theater. Unfortunately, there’s been a dearth of good Star Wars games for a while now, but there are some excellent classics we feel you should check out (or re-visit).

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Yep i second that Republic Commando ,becouse it reminds much of high gameplay value fps games like battlefield.

For me its SW Jedi Academy, Gallactic Battlegrounds rts and KOTOR, wont ever forget those.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    The Jedi knight series had a strong influence on me as a kid. Its so weird to think I was 11 years old then.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Nice article and list. I'd change the order a bit though.

1: KOTOR 1 & 2
    2: X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
    3: Republic Commando (Highly under-rated game)
    4: Empire at War
    5: Jedi Knight series (Bit of an odd ball as I liked Jedi Academy more then the others)

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    edited December 2015
    I have to concur, that Obsidian actually makes better games than the original companies of those franchises. Fallout New Vegas was much better than Fallout 3 and KOTOR2 was better than KOTOR. More power to Obsidian!

Hodor!

• GunnJDGunnJD Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Good list, agreed! Was getting scared when I hadn't seen any Dark Forces by #2 :D.

Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2 is my #1 for sure.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I remember getting real excited for KOTOR,played it a lot for about 2 weeks,then never cared to ever play it again.
    Looking back having bought almost every SW's game i can now say that i feel they were all rushed cheap efforts. I was happy to buy them,get them home and immediately fire them up to play but quickly lost interest and never finished any one of them.

Even if i wanted to go back and play one of them,i wouldn't know where to look for them in my huge collection of games,that is how much i have forgotten about them.I just find the laser idea to be too bland,i can only take so much of that then i get bored.

Now on that note,i loved all the movies,everyone one of them,i still go back and watch them from time to time.The games i think are just too much a spin off gimmick to cash in on the IP.It is like when i saw the game terminator after i enjoy the series of movies so much,i did not want to spend a single second in one of those games and that is always the case when i see games cashing in on movie success.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WhitestepWhitestep Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited December 2015
    It must be somekind of joke KOTOR 2 better than KOTOR 1 in story? Pfff yeah nice try maybe next time. I had more connection to characters in first game and the story was more intriguing well atleast in my opinion. KOTOR 2 still one of the favs but after KOTOR.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Best SW games list without KotOR ??

That's like making a list about the best MMO's ever made and leaving WoW outside...
  • Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283
    I've seen about 3 of these lists appear on several sites. (Non gaming sites included). And they all fail to list the best racing game ever made. Episode 1: Racer. This was my all time favourite, wish they would make a decent remake out of it.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited December 2015
    Major points for putting the franchise that began with Dark Forces at the top of this list, and also mentioning Republic Commando, X-Wing, and KOTOR.  Well done, Michael Bitton!

Anyone interested in the topic might also want to check out JonTron's Starcade.  It's a pretty in-depth exploration of the topic beneath a veneer of zany New York humor.

edit: personal honorable mention goes to Star Wars: Battlefront, the first (2004).

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Whitestep said:
    It must be somekind of joke KOTOR 2 better than KOTOR 1 in story? Pfff yeah nice try maybe next time. I had more connection to characters in first game and the story was more intriguing well atleast in my opinion. KOTOR 2 still one of the favs but after KOTOR.

So much this. KOTOR1 was one of the best games of all time from a story perspective, and it often tops best-of lists across all genres... its exclusion from this list is a complete joke.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Shodanas said:
    Best SW games list without KotOR ??

That's like making a list about the best MMO's ever made and leaving WoW outside...

It's not without KOTOR, it's without KOTOR 1. Wasn't going to give two spots to one game series and between the two I feel KOTOR 2 is a better game. :)
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    reillan said:
    Whitestep said:

So much this. KOTOR1 was one of the best games of all time from a story perspective, and it often tops best-of lists across all genres... its exclusion from this list is a complete joke.

He doesn't exclude it; he mentions it along with its sequel, saying he's aware that it will most likely be an unpopular view but feels the sequel is the better of the two games because it is more nuanced, which is fine.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MikeB said:

It's not without KOTOR, it's without KOTOR 1. Wasn't going to give two spots to one game series and between the two I feel KOTOR 2 is a better game. :)
    I dont think I can be your friend anymore Mike...   LOL
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Whilst I've played through KOTOR and KOTOR 2 quite a few times, I don't necessarily think they're that good. The combat in both games sucked and I also dislike Bioware's continued use of companions. All the companions in both kotors annoyed the hell out of me so I would end up playing solo as much as possible.

My top 5 SW games would probably be:

1) Jedi Outcast - great locations and combat, but also love the "realistic" lightsaber cheat. Cutting off limbs and heads was excellent fun!

2) Galactic Battlegrounds - this was essentially Age of Empires 2 with a SW skin. Couldn't get enough of it at the time!

3) Star Wars Episode 1: Racer - Tons of tracks, some seriously difficult ones, loads of vehicles, pretty intense racing, relatively decent (for the time) upgrade system.

4) Rogue Squadron - I've not played any other flight-based SW games so there may be better, but Rogue Squadron was a lot of fun.

5) Jedi Academy - Not quite as fun as outcast, but better combat.

I tend to judge games both on how I felt at the time plus the game's ability to stand the test of time. These 5 games I still play to this day (granted, not much!) and still enjoy them. At original release, I did play battlefront a lot and loved it, but couldn't play it now.
    Talonsin said:
    MikeB said:

LOL. Replay them both and see how you feel afterwards. Maybe you'll see my POV.

KOTOR 1 was a fun tale with an epic twist, but beyond that it's a pretty simple, easily digestible Star Wars story. KOTOR 2 constantly challenges your perceptions of concepts like The Force, Jedi, and Sith. The story is more focused on your journey and the effects your actions have on the events that transpire and, particularly, the characters you meet and recruit along the way. Those characters are also way more believable due to their flaws. They're layered. Compare the boy scout Carth to Atton and you'll see what I mean. The game isn't without flaws (like most Obsidian games), but overall, KOTOR 2 had a far greater lasting impact on me than the original. I may be in the minority there, but that's OK. There are plenty of other Best Star Wars game lists out there with KOTOR 1 winning out. :)

Whilst I've played through KOTOR and KOTOR 2 quite a few times, I don't necessarily think they're that good. The combat in both games sucked and I also dislike Bioware's continued use of companions. All the companions in both kotors annoyed the hell out of me so I would end up playing solo as much as possible.

My top 5 SW games would probably be:

2) Galactic Battlegrounds - this was essentially Age of Empires 2 with a SW skin. Couldn't get enough of it at the time!

I loved Galactic Battlegrounds, too. Even though it was, as you said, just AOE2 with a Star Wars skin (AOE2 was an amazing game!). If you enjoy a Star Wars RTS though, I really can't recommend checking out Empire at War enough. It's not as deep, but it's unbelievably broad. It's really got everything.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    You people (and @MikeB ) have completely ignored Rebellion?!?!?!  One of the best games, with the most characters, where you can play EITHER SIDE, and control the fate of the whole galaxy?  Not to mention 3d ships/squadrons where you could control the outcome?!?!?

That game was years ahead of it's time and was heavily modded (Babylon 5, Star Trek, to name a few).

Seriously.. you can boot that puppy up and still have a good time, unlike some of those games on the list.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    My list would be  :

1. kotor 2
    2. kotor
    after them, rest of the bunch however you guys wanna put them.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    MikeB said:
    Talonsin said:
    MikeB said:

LOL. Replay them both and see how you feel afterwards. Maybe you'll see my POV.

KOTOR 1 was a fun tale with an epic twist, but beyond that it's a pretty simple, easily digestible Star Wars story. KOTOR 2 constantly challenges your perceptions of concepts like The Force, Jedi, and Sith. The story is more focused on your journey and the effects your actions have on the events that transpire and, particularly, the characters you meet and recruit along the way. Those characters are also way more believable due to their flaws. They're layered. Compare the boy scout Carth to Atton and you'll see what I mean. The game isn't without flaws (like most Obsidian games), but overall, KOTOR 2 had a far greater lasting impact on me than the original. I may be in the minority there, but that's OK. There are plenty of other Best Star Wars game lists out there with KOTOR 1 winning out. :)

Totally agree with you. Kotor 2 was really trying.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Ikeda said:
    You people (and @MikeB ) have completely ignored Rebellion?!?!?!  One of the best games, with the most characters, where you can play EITHER SIDE, and control the fate of the whole galaxy?  Not to mention 3d ships/squadrons where you could control the outcome?!?!?

That game was years ahead of it's time and was heavily modded (Babylon 5, Star Trek, to name a few).

Seriously.. you can boot that puppy up and still have a good time, unlike some of those games on the list.
    Didn't ignore it. Empire at War did it better. :)
  • sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited December 2015
    I think if a game is going to be considered 'the best' it needs an ending to the story it presents. KOTOR 2 was made in a year and it shows. It's a bug riddled, unbalanced, rushed mess. Great character concepts but ultimately unfulfilling. Darth Nihilus was one of the greatest letdowns since Darth Maul. If you're going to make a 'best ever' list, you have to weigh the negatives as well as the positives - and although the flaws are acknowledged, they're quickly dismissed - I can quickly dismiss all of the positives of KOTOR 2. Layered characters are great, but are they really necessary in a Star Wars game? All they end up doing is exposing how absurd Star Wars is to begin with.
    I'd place KOTOR 2 high on a worst ever list, but never on the best.

Yeah... I have a sore spot with KOTOR 2. I know a friend, who knows a friend, who knows a friend (no names) and the story I heard was that LucasArts rushed Obsidian to release the game because, fuck it, it's Star Wars - people will still buy a mediocre Star Wars product.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Star Wars Rebellion.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    XvT

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------