Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre Alpha Playthrough with RipperX #1 - Shards Online

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2015 in Videos Discussion

imagePre Alpha Playthrough with RipperX #1 - Shards Online

Shards is a sandbox RPG in development for PC by Citadel Studios. It is a collection of online virtual worlds where the community has ultimate power; not just a game but a platform for player generated content. In the multiplayer online game, players can fully customize their experience. Collaboration will determine how the world evolves. Explore an ever-expanding universe with deep lore and dynamic environments. Employ Shards' unprecedented modding capabilities. Connect servers, create and r

Read the full story here

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Wonder how many care bears cried when he killed that guy with low HP.. lol
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    mcrippins said:

No, he would be thrown out of the pvp community if he hadn't done that.
    It's one of the basic test criteria for a "hardcore" pvper.

The others are:
    - Playing a stealth character - he gets a pass on that too
    - Ganking / Zerging - preferably at least 10 v 1 just to make sure of the win. Jury's out on RipperX here as we haven't seen that in this video.
    - Camping in low level areas - at least 20 levels below your own character. Again not seen that in this video, so RipperX needs to make sure it's in his next one - otherwise hardcore pvp membership is in jeopardy here.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    edited December 2015
    JudgeUK said:
    mcrippins said:

The others are:

- Ganking / Zerging - preferably at least 10 v 1 just to make sure of the win. Jury's out on RipperX here as we haven't seen that in this video.

- Camping in low level areas - at least 20 levels below your own character. Again not seen that in this video, so RipperX needs to make sure it's in his next one - otherwise hardcore pvp membership is in jeopardy here.

---------------------------- Satire! I like it! :D
  • SirmatthiasSirmatthias Member UncommonPosts: 562
    I miss Ultima. I'll wait for this to come out on steam
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    JudgeUK said:
    mcrippins said:

The others are:

As soon as I get my new house with more room to store heads, I'm going to gank anyone and everyone. Just you wait. MUHAHAHAHAA!
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Not sure if I want to play on player created servers.  I don't trust some random guy to efficiently run a server and just get kicked if I do something he decides he doesn't like. I would prefer to play on an official PvE server to avoid gankers like RipperX, but I don't know if there will be official PvE servers. If not, I'll probably pass on this. 
  • bebopdrumsbebopdrums Member UncommonPosts: 168
    How is movement controlled? WASD? Click to move? Holding down a mouse button and scrolling in a direction to move is insta carpal tunnel for me so I hope they offer some choices and keymapping if thats the case.
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    gf
  • redripredrip MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 224
    bebopdrums said:
    How is movement controlled? WASD? Click to move? Holding down a mouse button and scrolling in a direction to move is insta carpal tunnel for me so I hope they offer some choices and keymapping if thats the case.

Flizzer, there will be different servers with different rulesets. There is definitely options for players who don't want to be ganked by Thugs like me.

BeBop - Yes, you can control movement by using WASD or also Left Mouse, Right Mouse rotates the camera. There's an options menu as well where you can customize to your liking.
  • bebopdrumsbebopdrums Member UncommonPosts: 168
    last ? re: movement....is there an autorun feature? (fingers crossed it's numlock, or again, the ability to keymap it as so)..
    Thanks
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Getting stoned is the best way to get skill levels.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• peglegpegleg Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I feel asleep watching this horrid game.

All MMO's have grinds. If you don't like to Grind then MMO's are not for you.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    mcrippins said:

It's not about carebear at all,i simply look at an idea objectively and decide if i would want to be EITHER player and the answer is no from BOTH sides.

Being able to kill someone with almost no risk at all is not something i consider fun or exciting or challenging.I would look at it basically like saying ok i am going to join a sports league with 10 year olds,gee i wonder if i 'll be the superstar.

The game itself and the idea is imo a good one,i might end up playing this eventually in my spare time.

I have noticed that we are always clicking through a wasted click to get to these articles then i realized they are click counting for money reasons,always wondered why we didn't just go directly to the article.So in essence seems shotty on the delivering of these reviews.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Logrus_CSLogrus_CS Member UncommonPosts: 87
    bebopdrums said:
    last ? re: movement....is there an autorun feature? (fingers crossed it's numlock, or again, the ability to keymap it as so)..

Thanks

Yes there's an option to toggle between walk, run, and sprint( sprinting costs stamina).
  • Logrus_CSLogrus_CS Member UncommonPosts: 87
    flizzer said:
    Not sure if I want to play on player created servers.  I don't trust some random guy to efficiently run a server and just get kicked if I do something he decides he doesn't like. I would prefer to play on an official PvE server to avoid gankers like RipperX, but I don't know if there will be official PvE servers. If not, I'll probably pass on this. 

Official servers will run multiple rulesets, including PvE, PvP, and depending on demand the HardCore/PermaDeath ruleset.(That ruleset will be made available to server admins regardless if there is enough demand for us to maintain a cluster dedicated to it)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Logrus_CS said:
    Official servers will run multiple rulesets, including PvE, PvP, and depending on demand the HardCore/PermaDeath ruleset.(That ruleset will be made available to server admins regardless if there is enough demand for us to maintain a cluster dedicated to it)
    Yeah, that is tre right way of doing things. Maximizes potential players without watering out the gameplay for the fans (which most MMO seems be doing).

Shards have a lot of potential. One thing that didn't impress me what was I saw when he modified his character though, the customization options seemed pretty small. Lets hope that Ripper either only showed us a little or that more will be added before launch.

The graphics certainly isn't cutting edge but it is at least acceptable and I will pick this game up on release. After all, if it was graphics that was the most important thing with MMOs Korean games would do far better here in the west. :)
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Comon, RipperX can scare at least 10 people just by being present... gotta count for somehing.

Great intro video, reminds me of ultima. Could be quite fun :)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Torval said:
    Loke666 said:
    Yeah, that is tre right way of doing things. Maximizes potential players without watering out the gameplay for the fans (which most MMO seems be doing).

Shards have a lot of potential. One thing that didn't impress me what was I saw when he modified his character though, the customization options seemed pretty small. Lets hope that Ripper either only showed us a little or that more will be added before launch.

The graphics certainly isn't cutting edge but it is at least acceptable and I will pick this game up on release. After all, if it was graphics that was the most important thing with MMOs Korean games would do far better here in the west. :)
    "Has a lot of potential" is usually code for "sounded good on paper but didn't deliver". The concept is interesting, but if the video is any indication I'm probably not far off going with that.
    That is "had a lot of potential". 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    True story- During the Kickstarter Broadcast I hunted down Supreme while he was explaining the game and PKed him live. Took him a few seconds to understand he was under attack. It was pretty funny and made me really love the game the way they laughed about it :)
    Good stuff.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhearnunPhearnun Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Anyone know when he plans to release the next video?
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    Wow this game seems to have so many features that we used to talk about with people on this website years ago... should be easy to implement bounty hunter and stuff like that since you can loot someone's head.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA