Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Shutting down....Possibly

SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
Darkfall currently has gone silent. Community screaming that the game is shutting down, while the two Sub Darkfalls New Dawn and Rise of Agon will take over the Darkfall IP. Regardless of devs stating that they are still "Supporting" Darkfall. Since that statement from the Dev's we have not heard back from them.
Now we wait for Darkfall 2016? Darkfall 3? Darkfall R.I.P?
Thoughts, ideals, emotions? Share them

Comments

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Sadly, open world FFA PvP with no content for players who want (relatively) safe PvE doesn't work. This has been proved many, many times now.

Even EVE would be dead by now if it didn't have high-sec space.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is a game that never should have been.
    Simple reason is they could not afford to take that half finished game and turn it into a triple A game.There is a reason the original game folded up shop.

There is a LOT more that needs to go into a game other than generate a map and flag players for pvp.

When i see a game focused on pvp,i know it is a shallow game not worth playing.

I actually played the original game for about idk close to a month.The little it did was ok but the entire experience just felt empty/dead,you cannot bring a game world to life when it is just dead.

It is basically like building a shopping mall,3/4 the stores are boarded up,the rest have little to sell in them,nobody would shop there.

I have never really figured out if this Greek guy was serious about gaming or if he was simply trying to make a buck.IMO he gave it a fair try considering his budget but it's just not good enough.If he truly has passion for the game it might stick around on life support but who really knows.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    The IP being in new hands is a good thing. There is a good game to be had with the lessons learned from Darkfall 1.  They have to take hacking seriously for the get go with live monitoring staff too.
  • IrkenEliteIrkenElite Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Played DFo, played DF:UW, and while I see a -lot- of potential in these games, none of the real large-scale no-grind PvP that was supposed to happen happened. Would love to see this in the hands of a competent dev team and put to proper use, cause while I'm not a big PvP person, I could get into the right game for it.

Hopefully the new IP handlers (if that is the case) do it right this time.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    So, the 1000 players that DF:UW had will now be split over 2 competing versions of the game run by franchisee's ?

Aventurine have an interisting response to the "dying game" problem: just rename it and open more servers !
  • SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Wizardry said:
    Simple reason is they could not afford to take that half finished game and turn it into a triple A game.There is a reason the original game folded up shop.

There is a LOT more that needs to go into a game other than generate a map and flag players for pvp.

I actually played the original game for about idk close to a month.The little it did was ok but the entire experience just felt empty/dead,you cannot bring a game world to life when it is just dead.

It is basically like building a shopping mall,3/4 the stores are boarded up,the rest have little to sell in them,nobody would shop there.

I have never really figured out if this Greek guy was serious about gaming or if he was simply trying to make a buck.IMO he gave it a fair try considering his budget but it's just not good enough.If he truly has passion for the game it might stick around on life support but who really knows.

Your statement about PvP falls on itself. Look at League of legends, Dota2 and Team fortress 2.
    A map and PvP is functional, but its the mechanics and the synergy you put along with it that makes a PvP game good and last for years.  Darkfall had no proper mechanics and absolutely no synergy.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    There was a 'Darkfall devs reaching out for Community" thread here a while back (think it was on news section), where I stated that this would be the beginning of the end because the devs had no clue what to do with the game anymore. I also stated that a new sequel to the game would be possible with this one shut down (if enough suckers fall for it again :D ). Sadly from the looks of it I seem to be right :(
  • Abuz0rAbuz0r Member UncommonPosts: 550
    edited December 2015
    DFUW is actually really really fun.  The full loot pvp makes it too stressful however.  When you get killed your gear loses a lot of durability, that alone (considering it can't be repaired) would make the pvp high enough stakes for modern gamers.
    All the full loot pvp does for me is cause me to wear low endurance gear to pvp (about to break) and have a warehouse full of random sets of armor for builds I don't play that I'll never use.
    The full loot is also the screaming baby that keeps all the people from trying it out.
    tom_gore said:
    Sadly, open world FFA PvP with no content for players who want (relatively) safe PvE doesn't work. This has been proved many, many times now.

DFUW has massive pvp-free safe zones.  The loot isn't amazing, the prowess is slow, and you're unlikely to find many resources, but you can farm enough here to make a few sets of low cost gear to wear out in the higher danger areas.

You don't ever go pve in your great armor anyway, a set of gear doesn't last more than 4 hours (real time) of usage in pve.  Why would you make an amazing set of armor and go break it on monsters?  Rather break it on someones face :D
  • SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited December 2015
    Abuz0r said:
    DFUW is actually really really fun.  The full loot pvp makes it too stressful however.  When you get killed your gear loses a lot of durability, that alone (considering it can't be repaired) would make the pvp high enough stakes for modern gamers.
    All the full loot pvp does for me is cause me to wear low endurance gear to pvp (about to break) and have a warehouse full of random sets of armor for builds I don't play that I'll never use.
    The full loot is also the screaming baby that keeps all the people from trying it out.
    tom_gore said:

DFUW has massive pvp-free safe zones.  The loot isn't amazing, the prowess is slow, and you're unlikely to find many resources, but you can farm enough here to make a few sets of low cost gear to wear out in the higher danger areas.

You don't ever go pve in your great armor anyway, a set of gear doesn't last more than 4 hours (real time) of usage in pve.  Why would you make an amazing set of armor and go break it on monsters?  Rather break it on someones face :D
    Darkfall is a fun game. Action packed and all, but Darkfall paired with AV as a company is like parents, guardians, older siblings (what have you) that keep slapping you the second you start to have fun.
    The game gets good, joy starts to increase, then you get slapped with bugs, hackers, dupes, lack of content, disappearance of devs and the shopping list goes on and to top this all off they charge you 15 bucks a months for them to tell you No, we wont tent to this game the way it needs to and we will continue to be negligent and develop our half baked ideas that get scrapped anyway. I.E Darkfall 2010.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    the only hold back that darkfall had is that is was ruined by a so called campany runned by childern..

do not forget about facts of the orginal game:

Darkfall (1.0) sold 150k boxes in 4 years of his llifespan... you either pick that up as a company or make complete wrong decisions by revamping everything what made the orginal game great and die in the progress..

another note: this is not action packed game.. its pure FPS like planetside and cs:go only in fantasy settings.

I played darkfall 1.0 for 4 years i played unholy wars for 1 week.

Let me predict something..

When either riseofAgon or new dawn proves itself in being a competent developers company with skills to update and adjust the orginal game.. it will be success

on topic: darkfall unholy wars will not shutt down.. ZAD( the CEO) is coming from a very rich family.. he just "runs" the company by being occupied for working purposes

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    FFA Full Loot PvP games have a habit of failing. Despite what the vocal minority would have us all believe they're just not that popular.

The only way FFA PvP works is when you have systems in place that cause consequences to that PvP. Games like EVE got it right, games like DF don't.

I can't say I'm surprised if it's true that the game is closing down.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I played DF1 for two years. Then Aventurine closed it down. I had four accounts. I was pretty bummed about that. I played DFUW for less than a month.

What ever happened to DF 2010?

• nesteanestea Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Eve not failing because of high-sec made me giggle. :)
    Abuz0r said:
    tom_gore said:

Could be. Haven't checked it out recently. When I did, a couple years ago, the PvE was horrible.
    edited December 2015
    nestea said:
    Eve not failing because of high-sec made me giggle. :)
    Care to elaborate?

EVE is alive because of a thriving high-sec playerbase. It acts both as a stepping stone to players wanting to dip their toes into PvP at their own pace and terms, and a "safe" haven for players who are absolutely not interested in PvP.

Without high-sec that has enough stuff to do, players who are not (yet) interested in PvP would be thrusted into low/null far too soon and would probably quit. Why? Because games are entertainment, and people generally want to do stuff they like to do in games. If they're forced to do stuff they don't like to do, they rather quit and play another game. It's not rocket science.

If EVE never had a high-sec, and CCP never expanded it and gave more PvE content for the players, EVE would never have made it past a very marginal title and would most likely be dead or dying by now.

You can giggle as much as you want, but that's a fact.

Albion Online (a game with a pretty similar zone system as EVE) devs just recently posted their views, which I agree fully with:

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/25535-Hardcore-vs-Casual-Debate-Our-Stance/

• sipusipu Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited December 2015
    I bought it in pre-order, it was pricey back then. This was my by far biggest mistake I ever made in terms of money spent.  So dull, unpolished and terrible game. The game concept is good, but ... common. As a melee weapon fan I was disgusted with the gameplay. It was like grain cutting simulator '89.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    tom_gore said:

I am not so sure, I think that the full looting and still rather large powergap is the problem here.

I think FFA MMOs really need a bit more FPS influence, and not really combat mechnaics wise as such. In  a FPS game any player can defeat anyone else and that is truly the key to fun PvP for more than a small minority. It is hard to balance this while still allowing the player character to gain power as you play but it is the key to making a large open world PvP game.

And the full looting thing is something that just gets annoying after a while, you constantly have to get new crap if you take any risks or you can play safe and run in zergs. Now allowing people to loot any cash on someone is fine but all the gear just get boring after a few hours.
    FFA Full Loot PvP games have a habit of failing. Despite what the vocal minority would have us all believe they're just not that popular.

The only way FFA PvP works is when you have systems in place that cause consequences to that PvP. Games like EVE got it right, games like DF don't.

I can't say I'm surprised if it's true that the game is closing down.
    Consequences aren't really a must as such but they do help, the more you lose on getting ganked the higher the consequences need to be. A lot of combats are after all very uneven both in powerlevel and player numbers so when not running in large packs is punished it makes the game less fun for most people.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Not to go completely off the rails but Eve "thrives" because the few thousand people who play it all have a dozen accounts or more. So it makes it look like thee are a lot more people playing than there actually are. I played it for years but stopped, I played with a whole guild (offline who played multiple games together) none of those guys play anymore either. So thats close to 100 individuals who havent played it for a couple years at least. Anecdotal at best, but these guys are old school types too that arent prone to falling for the 'next big thing'. But Eve changed and they didnt like it.

Eve is bordering on SWG status at this point, a game everyone claims they have played and is 'the best' when it is actually a shell of it former self and has plenty of issues people over look or cant comment on because they, like me and our group, dont play anymore.

As for Darkfall, PvP is dead and trying to find an ultra niche group to bleed on a small time game isnt going to work either.

The irony is basically every new MMO coming out is PvP based, thats why theyre all going to fail miserably (if half of them even release which isnt likely) and they will have to find a new platform to run with. "Loot/Raiding" didnt work,  "Dynamic" didnt work, "Open World'' didnt work, "Survival" didnt work, Making games based on cant lose IP didnt work, Open World PvP didnt work. Arena type PvP/MOBA/waiting room games are sort of working because of the 'tournaments'  and cash prizes, but not for gameplay.
    rodarin said:
    The irony is basically every new MMO coming out is PvP based, thats why theyre all going to fail miserably (if half of them even release which isnt likely) and they will have to find a new platform to run with. "Loot/Raiding" didnt work,  "Dynamic" didnt work, "Open World'' didnt work, "Survival" didnt work, Making games based on cant lose IP didnt work, Open World PvP didnt work. Arena type PvP/MOBA/waiting room games are sort of working because of the 'tournaments'  and cash prizes, but not for gameplay.
    I think Shard have the solution for that, if you want brutal FFA PvP with full loot you play on a shard for that, if you want ligher PvP, permadeath or PvE only you play on a Shard that have what you want. The worst case scenario with mechanics like that (unless the game suck) is that certain types of Shard will have small populations but the game in itself will do well and you can experiment with creating your own Shard to see what works and doesn't. The games who have a really hard time seems to often just have a single server setting.

But MOBAs are far more popular then by people who can win cash prices
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Snakex said:
    Wizardry said:

Your statement about PvP falls on itself. Look at League of legends, Dota2 and Team fortress 2.
    A map and PvP is functional, but its the mechanics and the synergy you put along with it that makes a PvP game good and last for years.  Darkfall had no proper mechanics and absolutely no synergy.
    If those were mmorpg's and not short match no risk games your point might be valid.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    tom_gore said:

Correlation does not imply causation. The implication that it does happens to much on these forums.

If Darkfall was a critical darling that had a few problems but was mostly considered a great example of the genre then "sure" I would be more inclined to see merit in your statement. But Darkfall has always had problems, from development to the first iteration to the closing down of that game and suddenly out of the blue a new iteration that really didn't speak to the fans of the original.

Not only did it have issues it also didn't have a lot to really "do it" for those who wanted this type of game.

There is a fanbase for these types of games. I imagine they just want a good game. 

Of course, budgeting correctly for this type of game is also key.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    edited December 2015
    Full Loot PVP games are horrible .... it is a mechanic that should of died 15 years ago

Imagine playing MTG, and if you lost a match you lost the cards you played with...
    fs23otm said:
    Full Loot PVP games are horrible .... it is a mechanic that should of died 15 years ago

Imagine playing MTG, and if you lost a match you lost the cards you played with...
    Actually, magic originally made you ante a card from your deck but they did remove it due to legal issues (it was considered gambling). There were still specific cards for it in revised.

But that was one card and losing one item when getting killed probably would be far more popular then losing everything.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I enjoy ESO, GW2, Tera's combat systems.  But this game was bleh and I couldn't bring myself to feel like I was in control of the character.  That one thing kept me from going deeper into the game to see what else was going on.  But gear getting damaged by using it well that's not easy to properly implement.  Neither is full loot pvp, but idk how they did on those aspects of the game.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    tom_gore said:

Hi-sec and well developed games full of content do not grow on trees by themselves. First you need a competent team with enough money and endurance to actually create and evolve them. You can't compare that, to half developed worlds in alpha state made by 10 man teams and than put on life support for minimum maintenance. Ignoring these facts is like drawing conclusions out of thin air.
    If anything CCP proved a real open world full loot sandbox game can be popular and a very viable source of income at the same time. How many teams out there have actually made an AAA sandbox that even with all the support wasn't popular? Let me tell you. None yet.

Oh and Darkfall has hi-sec (safe zones), you could never step out and be the richest man ingame.