Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARK: Survival Evolved

JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

This one looks fun.  Esp with a group of friends.  Already has funny videos.  Huge world.  Very pretty scenery. 
Early access on Steam.  A survival game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110

Comments

• zabTHzabTH Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Yep, ARK is a great game but suffers from a few inherent problems.  I have an on-going love hate relationship with it!

With three main game types (official) there's PVP, PVE and survival of the fittest to choose from.  PVP is great, however be aware that it's quite easy for you to log in one day and find 200+hrs of building, taming and enjoyment.

While I won't deride the game, there are indeed some issues with its PVP model - PvE has made some strides recently with tribal war declarations, but often you log into a PvE server to find it's almost a concrete jungle.

Never played a game that I've sank 400 hrs into so quickly, 
    Never played a game that I've logged in one day to find myself naked with everything destroyed,
    Never played a game with the sense of wonder like Ark has at times.

Ark has it all.  It runs fairly well on my system - A10 5800K and 8 GB of ram.  It's pretty much on LOW/Medium with some tweaks, and while FPS hovers around 30, it's stable if I am careful.  

I know people that play it on budget $700 notebooks (similar AMD APU with 8GB ram), so the system requirements are indeed continually being 'tweaked'.  Considering it's a seamless world with so much detail, I'm amazed.

Just don't try it if you have less than 8GB of ram and an onboard INTEL processor.  Then again - Steam does offer a 24 hour refund if you refund within (I THINK) 2 hours of playtime.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Once its released and developers lose interest in doing (semi) regular updates it will be up to modders and map makers to keep the game going. They pretty much are right now even with the constant updates.

Only people that play on official servers are Euros and Chinese, and maybe a few 'originals' who think they 'own' that particular server and want to make sure it stays that way.

It has a lot of great qualities, but it suffers from the same thing every other game suffer from...what to do when you have done 'everything'. Everything being a qualifying term.

But with no quests and no real objectives other than to summon a few 'bosses' there isnt much to do but build stuff and kill/tame stuff/ On unofficial PvP servers I suppose Pvp is semi viable but most of those servers dont have populations big enough to make that a long term solution because you can only fight among yourselves for so long before it gets boring.

I have almost 1200 hours into it. But I have played on a lot of different maps and a lot of restarts on solo local games on different map types. But I eventually end up taking breaks because once you get through the new stuff that you missed (be it official changes or mod additions) it starts being the same old same old again.

So while its probably the best 'sand box' type game out right now it still shows the extreme limitations of those types of games.
  • zabTHzabTH Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Yep, I'm waiting for a bit to see what happens in the near future.  I've sank too man hours into Ark and came to the conclusion it needs a bit of time, or I do.

I played official, but I am not a puritan that will condemn those who played non-official ( modded servers).  They are all good and at the end of the day, games are for enjoying.  Woe be it on me to judge people for trying to enjoy a game they paid their money for!

If anyone wants to try Ark - go for it.   Learn the game, find a way to play that you enjoy, and don't let anyone put you off. 

The only thing I will say is that Ark is perhaps the biggest time-sink in my stable of games!

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    It just needs better optimization