Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heart of Thorns: Now that the dust has settled

2»

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    QSatu said:
    Imo it makes GW2 a better game but the expansion isn't that amazing imo. A lot of good changes but they could have added them as normal updates as well.
    I would have to agree with this and this is also a problem with WoW as well. People were so excited for the changes coming in HoT but it could've honestly been done in previous updates. WoW is 'adding' a lot of changes that could've been done in WoD at the very least, but gotta wait till Legion to get them. These companies and their priorities. These expansions are just over glorified needed changes that companies want to get money for doing.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    randomt said:
    All the vets are off playing it leaving the freemium people in an emptier world  :p
    Yeah i knew this would happen. The old zones are just empty now. And with level scaling no need to even make any new alts to play in those zones. So old zones are dead.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited December 2015
    Hariken said:
    randomt said:
    All the vets are off playing it leaving the freemium people in an emptier world  :p
    Yeah i knew this would happen. The old zones are just empty now. And with level scaling no need to even make any new alts to play in those zones. So old zones are dead.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Map_bonus_reward

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Weapons

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_boss

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily_achievements#Area-specific_event_completion

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_challenge

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Gaia_Hunter said:
    The game is also harder, which will frustrate some that enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere. The new areas are definitely end game and I had to change some of my builds. Dodging and skills that grant stability/break stun are much more desirable.
    Are you able to enjoy soloing with your new build or are you needing to group to get things done?

I am one of those that enjoyed the casual nature of GW2. Basically, I only grouped when there was an event that came up and I happened to be there. Otherwise, I did guild group activities and sPvP when I wasn't soloing and exploring.

edited December 2015
    d_20 said:
    Gaia_Hunter said:
    The game is also harder, which will frustrate some that enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere. The new areas are definitely end game and I had to change some of my builds. Dodging and skills that grant stability/break stun are much more desirable.
    Are you able to enjoy soloing with your new build or are you needing to group to get things done?

I am one of those that enjoyed the casual nature of GW2. Basically, I only grouped when there was an event that came up and I happened to be there. Otherwise, I did guild group activities and sPvP when I wasn't soloing and exploring.
    Did you play Silverwastes and Dry Top?

The new maps are geared towards the meta event and the events are all part of the meta. Other than getting the points of interest, hero challenges, vistas, waypoints and mastery points, all you going to do is events that are part of the meta. You will also be travelling around for the story.

You want the map to get max tier to improve the meta rewards and you want to boost your own personal participation to increase your own rewards.

If you want the meta to advance and then go kill the final bosses you need the people. To beat hero challenges that spawn champions you will probably need people.

To move around the map and do the rest?
    You can solo. You can even do some events solo, although in maps where people are going for the meta, there will be people around most events.
    Post edited by Gaia_Hunter on

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    The PvP balance is a killer for me, along side the WvW killer, and the fact that the new meta events dont have a lot of simple straight forward boss fights.

I dont really guild much. Played majority of my time in solo guild. So fractals, and dungeons wasnt really my main thing. PvP became my main thing once I had to collect ToKs.

But now PvP is ruined from the League system.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    i used to be gw2 fanboy, but now i am not :). For me there is way more grind than before.
  • devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    While the expanded professions are a plus, the game is worse off due to them actually taking what people already paid for and  giving them less in return. Guild upgrades and expansions people already paid for prior to the expansion the +5 supply capacity, and buffs when claiming  Keeps/ towers in wvw  were already earned by guilds and being used regularly. They already paid for these things. They took them away  told players  to go grind away their fun time instead. of actually being able to play and use them now. It is a rarity to see any buffs used now making it a waste.

In addition, many consider the new Desert borderland maps unplayable due to them being so spread out, full of gimmicky PvE nonsense most WvW players have no interest in. You spend all  you play time " looking for a fight" rather than in the action there, so players do not want to spend what little time they have to play wandering around trying to find someone to fight, they want to spend it actually fighting, which the Desert Borderlands actually seem to discourage rather than encourage due to their design. Players would rather have the old maps than not be able to play wvw at all due to no one playing the Desert maps and there being a 50+ queue for the only playable map left if you want actual players to fight( Eternal Battlegrounds). Looking for a fight= waste of time. Let the people fight instead of bounce around aimlessly please?

The great thing about GW1 was being able to log in to max level character from the start without grind and be able to Play PVP from the start. They forgot to do that with all the PVP modes in Gw2 . They should keep in mind they have small scale PvP and Large scale PVP and they both should be treated as actual PVP not lets throw a bunch of PVE garbage in  there to irritate players.. Most PvErs will not go to WvW no matter how many NPC's you add to it, so stop it already.

The automated tower/ keep upgrades  pretty much put the scouts out of work, no one wants to defend anything anymore. There is no longer any point in defending objectives since  you can cap it right back and get a WP and scouts are no longer really needed.

WvW should be a self sustaining game mode, where everything you need to play wvw should be earned  easily just by playing WvW, not go grind away your playing time just to be able to play  WvW. That entire concept is lame, and they made this worse, not better with the expansion by  trying to force players to go to grind PVE to get what you need to upgrade, make weapons, armors, train scribe. This does not encourage players to play wvw, it encourages them to grind elsewhere.. Many will not do that all, instead they will just go play something fun instead.

Not making Heroic chests account bound but soul bound, they are encouraging selfish, grindy play rather than working as a team and server. Class and builds are important for proper party composition for PVP play, and to try and force players to play specific classes to level them prevents them from being able to play as a team. Teamwork should be encouraged allowing players to play classes that are beneficial to their party and groups, not encourage selfish game play that causes party imbalances resulting in  your team to getting wiped.

From what I can tell, the extra professions are a plus, but most other things were a negative in regards to how they affect the WvW community. WvW players came out with less, not more, from  paying for an expansion, and that isn't what people pay for expansions to do.
  • pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Deviliscious-
     WvW has problems right now, but has had problems for a while. Colin has said recently that they have been working on a overhaul for the game mode for a while. 

I'm looking forward to what they can come up with. Have you looked into ESO. It might have a stronger WvW style mode than GW2 at the moment. Come back and check out GW2 once they come out with this overhaul:) 
    pingo said:
    Deviliscious-
     WvW has problems right now, but has had problems for a while. Colin has said recently that they have been working on a overhaul for the game mode for a while. 

I'm looking forward to what they can come up with. Have you looked into ESO. It might have a stronger WvW style mode than GW2 at the moment. Come back and check out GW2 once they come out with this overhaul:) 
    Yes, they have been working on an overhaul of it for a while. Their testing grounds  for that is Edge of the Mists. WHat they have been testing in Edge of the Mists is what you have to look forward to. They didn't listen to their player base about EoTM, when WVW Beta failed and are not doing so now. Come back*  I am a leader of one of the largest wvw guilds in t1.. I don't think I should " come back" I am still there for now. Unless they do something really stupid and replace EBG with a PVE gimmicky EoTm map like they did the Other BLS..
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    pingo said:
    Deviliscious-

Yes, they have been working on an overhaul of it for a while. Their testing grounds  for that is Edge of the Mists. WHat they have been testing in Edge of the Mists is what you have to look forward to. They didn't listen to their player base about EoTM, when WVW Beta failed and are not doing so now. Come back*  I am a leader of one of the largest wvw guilds in t1.. I don't think I should " come back" I am still there for now. Unless they do something really stupid and replace EBG with a PVE gimmicky EoTm map like they did the Other BLS..
    I'm cruious, can you tell me what is your guild please? You're the leader of one of the largest WvW guilds in T1 but you don't even know about the new WvW update Colin told us to wait. That's rich. I'm an old member from Team Aggression which I quit 2 months ago. Now I'm in a very big and 3 years old WvW guild on Piken Square. Please I want to know your guild's name. Tell me... Upcoming WvW update is nothing about Eotm. The new update will change even the server system. Guild alliances are coming, the whole WvW maps will get a new revamp, new reward and progression systems are coming, new tournamens are on the way. But you're a leader of such an amazing WvW guild, you should know these already right? /facepalm...
    edited December 2015
    Nepheth said:
    pingo said:
    Deviliscious-

I'm cruious, can you tell me what is your guild please? You're the leader of one of the largest WvW guilds in T1 but you don't even know about the new WvW update Colin told us to wait. That's rich. I'm an old member from Team Aggression which I quit 2 months ago. Now I'm in a very big and 3 years old WvW guild on Piken Square. Please I want to know your guild's name. Tell me... Upcoming WvW update is nothing about Eotm. The new update will change even the server system. Guild alliances are coming, the whole WvW maps will get a new revamp, new reward and progression systems are coming, new tournamens are on the way. But you're a leader of such an amazing WvW guild, you should know these already right? /facepalm...
    Pm me your in game tag here and I will message you. We are on JQ. I can invite you then kick, so you can see that all our members are active only since we kick inactive members. [SNIP]

The Desert Borderlands ARE from EoTM. So is the death of the server system if you haven't been paying attention.  IF they implement the 100 person cap per guild that means the majority of our guild would not be able to play every week.

*MOST IMPORTANTLY* they said all that was " just rumor" and have been removing all posts on it in official forums.  Real updates are  class balancing isn't even coming out until Wasn't it Feb they said?  I wouldn't hold your breath.

EDIT: Feel free to Pm me, and I will check it  later, I am  going to bed.. ( though you could have just asked me if I knew what had been said instead  of make silly assumptions).

In addition: It would be better for them to just put in a large scale GvG system instead of an alliance system anyhow so you can  fight any guild you want  when you want rather than use wvw for that due to too many players not playing the same game on the field at once. and limiting who you play all week.. They would need it to be at least 20 vs 20 arena, but to even fit most of our core it would have to be 40 vs 40 min.

We cannot even get our guild on one map most of the time as it is, reducing that further would screw most of our members. We usually just decide to pin multiple maps at once instead.
    Post edited by deviliscious on
  • KatrizKatriz Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited December 2015
    Seems like some people already know what is coming with this WvW overhaul...
    "the whole WvW maps will get a new revamp" what does it mean? they going to add more choke point on eb, so iit will be like in deserted bl? lol
    Is it coming in 1st Q 2016 or we have to wait for it another year?

edited December 2015
    Katriz said:
    Seems like some people already know what is coming with this WvW overhaul...
    "the whole WvW maps will get a new revamp" what does it mean? they going to add more choke point on eb, so iit will be like in deserted bl? lol
    Is it coming in 1st Q 2016 or we have to wait for it another year?

Much of what is being discussed comes from this post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3uznbc/major_wvw_overhaul_colin_j_ft_e/

This was stated to be rumor,  and may be simply inaccurate information so you should take it for what it is.  There is no timeline, however, I would not hold your breath waiting for any changes since it will be at least Feb before they even get to class balancing. In addition, it would kill roaming entirely as well as making it so not all members of a guild could even play that week, so I do not think it would be an adequate replacement to be considered for their existing server system.
    edited January 2016
    d_20 said:
    Gaia_Hunter said:

Did you play Silverwastes and Dry Top?

The new maps are geared towards the meta event and the events are all part of the meta. Other than getting the points of interest, hero challenges, vistas, waypoints and mastery points, all you going to do is events that are part of the meta. You will also be travelling around for the story.

You want the map to get max tier to improve the meta rewards and you want to boost your own personal participation to increase your own rewards.

If you want the meta to advance and then go kill the final bosses you need the people. To beat hero challenges that spawn champions you will probably need people.

To move around the map and do the rest?
    You can solo. You can even do some events solo, although in maps where people are going for the meta, there will be people around most events.
    Thanks for the answer. I did try Silverwastes and Dry Top, but didn't really give a sustained effort. I remember feeling a bit frustrated and confused by those areas and maybe I didn't give them a fair try.

I logged in last night and looked around Lion's Arch and was totally confused. I still haven't bought HoT. I want to see what's happening in the game myself.

Are there any guides for players that have been away and who want to return to the game? I was really confused and didn't know where to start. I haven't played regularly for over a year.

edited January 2016
    d_20 said:
    Thanks for the answer. I did try Silverwastes and Dry Top, but didn't really give a sustained effort. I remember feeling a bit frustrated and confused by those areas and maybe I didn't give them a fair try.

I logged in last night and looked around Lion's Arch and was totally confused. I still haven't bought HoT. I want to see what's happening in the game myself.

Are there any guides for players that have been away and who want to return to the game? I was really confused and didn't know where to start. I haven't played regularly for over a year.
    Silverwastes these days is on farming status.
    Dry top it will depend if there are any guilds going for tier 6, but tier 4 is easy to get.

About a guide, It depends of what you want to do.
    The end game is still geared at acquiring legendary items, skins and achievements (and unique achievement rewards).

For vanilla, berserker stats is still strong as is sinister stats for condition damage (Silverwastes drop, it is surpassed by viper stats from HoT though).

Maybe finish the Living Story if you haven't?
    Or do map completion, as with the new map reward bonus can be a decent profit.
    You can acquire ascended weapons (berserker, sinister and viper are quite desirable stats) and all other ascended trinkets and accessories.
    You can complete achievements that will grant mastery points once you buy HoT (like the diving goggles achievement or killing some of the bosses).

Hot will give more to work for with masteries and elite specs plus the raid.

You can probably look at wooden potatoes youtube channel to find some of the videos talking about changes in the game.There is a good one recapping the expansions features.

d_20 said:

Silverwastes these days is on farming status.
    Dry top it will depend if there are any guilds going for tier 6, but tier 4 is easy to get.

About a guide, It depends of what you want to do.
    The end game is still geared at acquiring legendary items, skins and achievements (and unique achievement rewards).

For vanilla, berserker stats is still strong as is sinister stats for condition damage (Silverwastes drop, it is surpassed by viper stats from HoT though).

Maybe finish the Living Story if you haven't?
    Or do map completion, as with the new map reward bonus can be a decent profit.
    You can acquire ascended weapons (berserker, sinister and viper are quite desirable stats) and all other ascended trinkets and accessories.
    You can complete achievements that will grant mastery points once you buy HoT (like the diving goggles achievement or killing some of the bosses).

Hot will give more to work for with masteries and elite specs plus the raid.

You can probably look at wooden potatoes youtube channel to find some of the videos talking about changes in the game.There is a good one recapping the expansions features.
    Thanks for the response, Gaia. I will check out wooden potatoes.

• gw2foolgw2fool Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I have not played hot, however, I do feel it has killed the game for me. I bought the full game when it was released, but now they have released hot, I am not getting the full game. In fact what I am getting is just slightly more than what somebody that takes the free to play approach gets. Sure you could say to buy the expansion, but from what I hear, the new map is not something that I am interested in. This leaves the new class and abilities, as well as gliding (which is now available in the rest of the game and not just the new map). Another factor is the current currency exchange rate. $49.99 for the basic item, is in my country is $70.56 (more than I paid for the full game, just for an expansion), which in mho is not worth it. After being a loyal player since release, I am left with a bitter feeling and am considering just moving on to another game!
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I recently saw a video that humorously sums up how HoT has destroyed spvp: