Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why PFO Matters

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    edited November 2015
    "settlement vs. settlement interaction"  This is one area the first Darkfall did OK in.  It made people band together and from an identity under a city or town. Or Alliances with other cities in a region, it created a real tribal mentality with people working together and fighting against members of others cities declared the enemy, or work out an agreed truce instead of having your city leveled. The system had a few rough edges that needed ironing out because of human behavior.  If you were toxic within a community though, you would cast out and be kill on sight in their lands.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Do the players still have health bars attached to their asses that bounce up and down while moving?
    Do the mobs still stand in one spot doing nothing but waiting for someone to come close?
    Are the fighting animations still not synced to the sound and look like 1980?

Is there any serious game yet because to me every video i look at makes me laugh my ass off how bad this is.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355

Do the players still have health bars attached to their asses that bounce up and down while moving?
    Do the mobs still stand in one spot doing nothing but waiting for someone to come close?
    Are the fighting animations still not synced to the sound and look like 1980?

Is there any serious game yet because to me every video i look at makes me laugh my ass off how bad this is.
    This is why I keep on bringing up the game engine.  Whereas Goblin Works kept on boasting their Agile Develement plans, they apparently were not agile enough to include a shift to a more up to date graphics / mechanics engine.  

Nothing in their recent comments of the last 6 months indicate that it is even being considered.  How is a 2009 game going to compete with games made with engines that will carry them into 2017 or beyond?  PFO will always look and perform like an 8 year old game, never closing that gap.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Guys there are literally 3 people left on the team and I think one guy is an artist.  Major work is just not going to happen.  Forget about switching engines...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BringsliteBringslite Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited November 2015
    Meh. Any new investors may want an engine upgrade. We will have to see. Word is that Unity 5 is not acceptable basically because the terrain generator that they used needed the Unity source code access and Unity 5 does not allow access. Just word on the "street". I have no idea what parts of that are true and what not. Without investors, what you see now will probably be what you see for a good long time.

Someone asked about graphics points and UI stuff. Not much change in the areas that you asked about. Possibly none, I am not sure. Overall there has been improvement in the chat box, the quest and achievement tracking display. Much improved "Help" section. Lots of stuff involving textures, blending of textures, overall look. The people that say it looks like day 1 Everquest, should google up some day 1 Everquest footage. lol

@ Bluddwolf

There are still more than 25 active settlements (active meaning not completely abandoned) none of those chose the exact same buildings to replace those that get wiped for EE11. Not sure if they have all submitted their choices. Most have. Whatever you mean by this not being an improvement, because some are happy with their current (starting lot) does not add up.

Basically we have seen (I am assuming EE11 publishes before Dec 31st) 12 respectable patch upgrades since day 1, a year ago. I am not really happy with the choices of priority for those upgrades, but I am still having plenty of fun.

There are some interesting upcoming games. Of those: none are real close, some seem to be very limited server pop set ups, most  look like cash shop nightmares, have that horrid isometric view, or look like cartoons. Prospects are fairly weak.

No more "BOX" fee. Free 15 day trials at: goblinworks.com/download/
    Ozem's Vigil: The largest force for Holy Justice in the River Kingdoms.
    Are You Ready to Smite Evil?
    ozemsvigil.guildlaunch.com

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Meh. Any new investors may want an engine upgrade. We will have to see. Word is that Unity 5 is not acceptable basically because the terrain generator that they used needed the Unity source code access and Unity 5 does not allow access. Just word on the "street". I have no idea what parts of that are true and what not. Without investors, what you see now will probably be what you see for a good long time.

Someone asked about graphics points and UI stuff. Not much change in the areas that you asked about. Possibly none, I am not sure. Overall there has been improvement in the chat box, the quest and achievement tracking display. Much improved "Help" section. Lots of stuff involving textures, blending of textures, overall look. The people that say it looks like day 1 Everquest, should google up some day 1 Everquest footage. lol
    @ Bluddwolf

There are still more than 25 active settlements (active meaning not completely abandoned) none of those chose the exact same buildings to replace those that get wiped for EE11. Not sure if they have all submitted their choices. Most have. Whatever you mean by this not being an improvement, because some are happy with their current (starting lot) does not add up.

Basically we have seen (I am assuming EE11 publishes before Dec 31st) 12 respectable patch upgrades since day 1, a year ago. I am not really happy with the choices of priority for those upgrades, but I am still having plenty of fun.

There are some interesting upcoming games. Of those: none are real close, some seem to be very limited server pop set ups, most  look like cash shop nightmares, have that horrid isometric view, or look like cartoons. Prospects are fairly weak.
    Without some kind of investor I just don't see the game stay up for more than a few more months. And yes, a major investor would probably demand an engine upgrade and probably a lot more. Goblinworks never had the money to pull off what they tried to pull off and they really didn't have that much experience of it either.

Personally do I think they either should have secured more funds from the start or done like Arenanet started with and made a cheaper CORPG to get experience, more income and some reputation. But that is far too late now.

There is a small chance that someone will put in a rather large sum to get the development going again, I think that is our only hope.
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Bluddwolf said:
    On the first part, I was correct for those that were happy with their original choice.  There will be virtually no change.  That means no content change in my opinion.  

The second point, you have added details that I was not aware of.  It is good that they approached Paizo, and not the other way around.  But, the "original vision" part is a bit concerning.  The original vision was not capable of attracting a viable amount of subscribers.  

There are two original visions, what was written in the old Dev blogs and what is in the game now.  The Dev Blog's were different and better in my opinion.  What we have now is a proven loser, numbers don't lie.

However, the 500 pound gorilla in the room, which you failed to mention, is the game engine.  Unity 4 is obsolete.  It's capacity was reached in 2011, if we are generous.  If PFO is going to survive into the future, it must upgrade to a new engine.
    https://www.revivalgame.com/forum

Come on Bludd, start pointing the folks over on PFO here.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Maquiame said:
    Bluddwolf said:
    On the first part, I was correct for those that were happy with their original choice.  There will be virtually no change.  That means no content change in my opinion.  

The second point, you have added details that I was not aware of.  It is good that they approached Paizo, and not the other way around.  But, the "original vision" part is a bit concerning.  The original vision was not capable of attracting a viable amount of subscribers.  

There are two original visions, what was written in the old Dev blogs and what is in the game now.  The Dev Blog's were different and better in my opinion.  What we have now is a proven loser, numbers don't lie.

However, the 500 pound gorilla in the room, which you failed to mention, is the game engine.  Unity 4 is obsolete.  It's capacity was reached in 2011, if we are generous.  If PFO is going to survive into the future, it must upgrade to a new engine.

I am currently playing three games:  

sword coast legends - for good old TT feel, with an active DM and three other players.

albion online - for the small Gang PvP and the well thought out and integrated gatherung, crafting, equipment and skill use system.

Rebel Galaxy -  single player, action RPG, set in space and the ability to be a pirate!! A smuggler!  A militia pilot!  A merchant!  Whatever you want.

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    It's funny that this thread is still getting bumped.
    If anything it was proven that PFO had no relevance at any given point.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Maquiame said:
    Bluddwolf said:

Oh that's the game that sells virtual housing plots for $40 to $100. Remembers me of another scam called Greedmonger.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

edited November 2015
    Maquiame said:
    Bluddwolf said:

Oh that's the game that sells virtual housing plots for $40 to $100. Remembers me of another scam called Greedmonger.
    Except that this game is being made by the former leads of Rift. And last I remembered Chronicles of Elriya sells individual lives for 40 dollars a piece, meaning that everytime you die permanently you have to cough up another 40 bucks to buy a new life.

So one time fee vs constant fee? Which one is a scam?

Black desert is selling for 30, 49 and 100

Most new games come out at some sort of cost.

In Revival you don't need a house to play, you can stay in inns, you can stay in tents and camp out in the countryside and better yet you don't have to worry about Archeage land hacks, the game also has f2p servers and it also has storyteller enabled servers which will run for 10 bucks a month. The storyteller enabled servers run like GM servers on a Never Winter Nights Persistent world where the GM's help create the story in real time.

And lastly just to re emphasize, the game is being made by the former leads of Rift.

So you were saying about this scam thing?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

Bluddwolf said:
    Maquiame said:
    Bluddwolf said:

I am currently playing three games:  

sword coast legends - for good old TT feel, with an active DM and three other players.

albion online - for the small Gang PvP and the well thought out and integrated gatherung, crafting, equipment and skill use system.

Rebel Galaxy -  single player, action RPG, set in space and the ability to be a pirate!! A smuggler!  A militia pilot!  A merchant!  Whatever you want.
    Check out this thread here, I have to go visit my boys over on the Ozem's Vigil forums also.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6790606/

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Dakeru said:
    The bumps have nothing to do with PFO. It's just Maquiame spamming Revival ads. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    LynxJSA said:
    Dakeru said:
    It wasn't actually him who necroed this thread after 2 months.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Maquiame said:
    Maquiame said:
    Bluddwolf said:

Except that this game is being made by the former leads of Rift. And last I remembered Chronicles of Elriya sells individual lives for 40 dollars a piece, meaning that everytime you die permanently you have to cough up another 40 bucks to buy a new life.

So one time fee vs constant fee? Which one is a scam?

Black desert is selling for 30, 49 and 100

Most new games come out at some sort of cost.

In Revival you don't need a house to play, you can stay in inns, you can stay in tents and camp out in the countryside and better yet you don't have to worry about Archeage land hacks, the game also has f2p servers and it also has storyteller enabled servers which will run for 10 bucks a month. The storyteller enabled servers run like GM servers on a Never Winter Nights Persistent world where the GM's help create the story in real time.

And lastly just to re emphasize, the game is being made by the former leads of Rift.

So you were saying about this scam thing?
    Just from experience, i have yet to see a game that sold housing plots before a game exists that was not a scam or a complete cock up that never got anywhere. Does not matter who makes the game at all.  

Let's see if these clown prove me wrong.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

Dakeru said:
    LynxJSA said:
    Dakeru said:
    The necroing of this thread or any PFO thread, before there is any real news or new content is at best pre mature and at worse, counter productive.

at this point it is only a reminder of how bad the initial launch has been, and how poorly the vision of the game worked in attracting any real numbers.

Bluddwolf said:
    Dakeru said:
    LynxJSA said:
    Dakeru said:
    The necroing of this thread or any PFO thread, before there is any real news or new content is at best pre mature and at worse, counter productive.

at this point it is only a reminder of how bad the initial launch has been, and how poorly the vision of the game worked in attracting any real numbers.
    Bluddwolf said:
    Dakeru said:
    LynxJSA said:
    Dakeru said:

I know, and yet here we are, responding to posts.

Or maybe there is actually some news here. I mean it looks like server up Monday, we will be putting our settlements together the way that WE want. Judging from your reply, you don't have all of the facts straight. That makes part of this necro,  news even if only for you. Also I get to look at another new  game in the works. Thanks, Maquiame. I hadn't even heard of it yet. Looks very interesting.

• Xeen88Xeen88 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I am so glad I sold off my accounts...
    Xeen88 said:
    At the time you did, the community was also at its worse, and it didn't much improve other than the fact that many dropped off.

i still have my account active, but there is no incentive to actually play the game.  I've written off the money I spent on it, and now I'm just waiting for it to close its doors or go through a near complete revamp.

it has now been another few weeks since Lisa Stevens mentioned that they were in talks with a potential investor.  I don't see that happening at this point, it would have come together by now.

I do take personal pleasure in the fact that I have out lasted Ryan Dancey.  You recall when I said in January of 2013 that the game would never launch OE with Ryan at the helm.  His vision was just not going to produce a viable game, and my hope was always that the actual game developers (Lee And Stephen) would manage to produce a decent game in spite of Ryan's flawed vision.  Unfortunately, they dumped Ryan too late, when the death spiral has already begun.

• Xeen88Xeen88 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Bluddwolf said:
    Xeen88 said:
    At the time you did, the community was also at its worse, and it didn't much improve other than the fact that many dropped off.

i still have my account active, but there is no incentive to actually play the game.  I've written off the money I spent on it, and now I'm just waiting for it to close its doors or go through a near complete revamp.

it has now been another few weeks since Lisa Stevens mentioned that they were in talks with a potential investor.  I don't see that happening at this point, it would have come together by now.

I do take personal pleasure in the fact that I have out lasted Ryan Dancey.  You recall when I said in January of 2013 that the game would never launch OE with Ryan at the helm.  His vision was just not going to produce a viable game, and my hope was always that the actual game developers (Lee And Stephen) would manage to produce a decent game in spite of Ryan's flawed vision.  Unfortunately, they dumped Ryan too late, when the death spiral has already begun.

I remember many discussions about how useless Ryan was. I thought it was funny that they said he left for personal reasons, while at the same time putting everything else on the chopping block. 

I remember asking him why he cheap skated on all the software, hardware, and minimal dev department. His response was "we didnt do that, we spent a lot of money!!" LOL, he meant to say, he paid himself a lot of money. 
    Sure Ryan was a problem, but not THE problem.   The real issue is that the core founder player base just agreed with each and every idea he threw out.  They created an echo-chamber far worse than any I have ever seen in other games.  Instead of a reality check, all they gave him and the company was a false sense of assurance.  A great example of this was the early enrollment/subscription alpha/beta which ultimately doomed the company and game.  Sure Ryan dug his own grave with statements claiming it was a full and complete game but there were plenty of shovels to go around.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I agree.

At the end of the day, bad products fail and usually, so do the companies that make them (unless they have pockets deep enough to take the hit).

Bad product (especially for what they were trying to charge), severely underfunded company, and a (former) CEO that didn't know enough to keep his mouth shut.

A bad mix all around.
    Sure Ryan was a problem, but not THE problem.   The real issue is that the core founder player base just agreed with each and every idea he threw out.  They created an echo-chamber far worse than any I have ever seen in other games.  Instead of a reality check, all they gave him and the company was a false sense of assurance.  A great example of this was the early enrollment/subscription alpha/beta which ultimately doomed the company and game.  Sure Ryan dug his own grave with statements claiming it was a full and complete game but there were plenty of shovels to go around.

I consider myself to have been part of that "core founder base", as was just about everyone in my guild, and we fought against the Care Bear wave, almost every step of the way.  

Ryan wanted to create an EvE clone, attract players from EvE and then punish them for playing like it was EvE.  At the same time he marketed the game to players who hated EvE, through their limited experience with it or by EvE's reputation solely, and encouraged them that the game would be nothing like their experience with EvE.  

Once the game launched, those looking to PvP found limited targets and systems that did not severally punish you for engaging in PvP.  Then there were those who declared the game was just like "other murder sims" based in just one non consensual attack or the rumors of them.  An entire settlement packed up shop over PvP, in a game marketed to be a Settlement vs. Settlement PvP game.  And then there are those that claim this ridiculous vision was never fully realized because all of its features were never fully implemented.  It was obvious to anyone with nominal experience with MMOs that the vision was flawed.   

I have said said it a hundred times, and to Ryan directly, the game would never be able to maintain either player base in significant numbers.  

You've played a lot of games Bluddwolf. By your own signature, it looks like you haven't spent much time in any single one. That is probably just an impression from looking at that list. I do know that you didn't play PfO much. Makes me think that you haven't kept up well with all of the changes.

That's too bad. I was looking forward to clashing with some bandit type players. Everyone that we had dust ups with is gone now.

Freevale (gpunk) left very early after being soundly trounced a few times in battle.

Aragon (your settlement) went into coma after a few skirmishes. You were back periodically but never really. A large part of the people living in Aragon don't want you back because of your twists and negativity.

We INVITED Doc to come up and hang around as a killer/bandit in our neck of the woods. He did for a cpl days, until we trapped and killed him ONE TIME. Never saw him again after that.

Most of this caused by a group of PVP newbs that never had more than 11 or 12 people online at the same time, INCLUDING allies. We never had any problem taking a rep hit to PVP. Two things you keep saying: #1. The rep penalties are useless. #2. The rep penalties are too severe. It just looks like those mentioned above don't like losing at PVP.

The most aggressive PVP group (EoX) at least TRIED to hang in there. They had a nice long war which probably got pushed too hard for too long until their opponents just stopped defending their outpost/holdings. They (EoX) really went into coma (waiting mode) because of the GW set back.

It's still true that something that is 50% incomplete can't be judged a failure. The game that GW put out and called a "feature complete game" , even if only a skeleton, did prove a fail.

Tune in Tuesday night, December 29th at 5pm PST. There will be a Dev chat about some likely investors.

No way of proving this of course, but I would STRONGLY suspect that most of those folks that "faded away" did so because of how bad they felt the game was and not because some group of "11 or 12 PvP newbs" won some kind of battle.

Next post should probably be in a new thread though because one thing ABSOLUTELY proven is that PFO does NOT matter in the larger scheme of things.