Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marketboard shenanigans...

Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
So, I don't ask this for my own personal use or benefit, but because I'm honestly curious...

Are there add-ons or scripts or some other means, maybe a smartphone app, that people can use to track their sales on FFXIV's market? Perhaps something botters are using?

I'm asking because, over the past few weeks, since I started crafting and selling stuff on the market, I've noticed that no matter what I sold something for (usually undercutting by enough to be competitive, but to not tank the market on a given item - 'cause that would just be counter-productive in the long run), that there are the same 2 or 3 names that always - within 5-15 minutes will have updated their prices and undercut me again, usually by as much as 1000gil. 

Now, I figured "well, maybe it's just that they're playing the same hours as me and, coincidentally, check on their sales around the same times as me...". Seemed unlikely over such a period of time, but not impossible.

But then I noticed that, even when I was playing at really oddball hours - like, at 3AM once when I couldn't sleep, or another day when I'd stayed home from work, etc (I live in EST and usually play Evenings and weekends) - the same thing happened. I'd list an item, or would update my pricing, and within 5-15 minutes... bam... same names had undercut me again by stupid amounts.

This is when I started to become suspicious that either there was some kind of script at work here, it's RMT doing their thing, or these people seriously have no life and just camp the market board 24/7. 

So, tonight, I decided to test it. I've updated my pricing, at random times, and lo and behold... every time I go check the items on the market, within 5-15 minutes, bam... same names... undercutting me by up to 1000gil again (depending on the item).

So, there's *got* to be something at work here. Be it an addon, some kind of "auto-listing" script. Something.

I've seen some pretty bad market shenanigans in other MMOs, but nothing even remotely close to what I see in XIV, where "impatience", not profit, rules the day.

Again, I'm not asking for any names or links. I have no interest in using this myself. I just want to have some idea if what I'm dealing with is some other player who is OCD and camps the market board 24/7, or some kind of bot or script. As dumb as it sounds, I'd almost feel better knowing it's a script or a bot. Knowing there are people *that* obsessed with selling first on the market board, that they'd track/camp it 24/7, would be seriously disturbing to me.

Anyone aware with any such thing going on in this game?

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    So.... for example...

I'd updated my prices, lowering my own by 50 gil beneath the next highest. In the time it took me to post that message, the same person came back and undercut again by over 300.

I'm considering adding a 4th possibility... Some of these people are just a-holes trolling the market board, trying to screw over others legitimately trying to make money. 
  • HellboundHeartHellboundHeart Member UncommonPosts: 390
    This is what I do bro and I make a lot of money, anything you want to sell, just add a zero at the end of the suggested price. Savage Aim Materia vendors for 789 gil, but, I sell it for 7,890. Most sell them for 10k plus.

IDK honestly dude. It's like playing the stock marked.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I don't believe your call of shenanigans is true.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

waynejr2 - any particular reason you believe this? Or are you just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian?
    edited December 2015
    This is what I do bro and I make a lot of money, anything you want to sell, just add a zero at the end of the suggested price. Savage Aim Materia vendors for 789 gil, but, I sell it for 7,890. Most sell them for 10k plus.

IDK honestly dude. It's like playing the stock marked. 

Sounds like a solid approach, so long as people aren't undercutting by stupid amounts, anyway lol.

I've played an absurd number of MMOs over the last decade or so, with all kinds of market/auction house setups... I've never seen people undercut and destroy markets nearly so much as they do in XIV.

There's undercutting in every MMO's market, yes... but it will usually hover around an average amount; items will maintain a fairly consistent/predictable value.

I've never seen people so eager to race to the bottom as much as in this game. So weird.
    Pratt2112 said:
    waynejr2 - any particular reason you believe this? Or are you just being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian?

Well, you haven't done anything the demonstrate that it is a shenanigan.  You are making a claim and it just seems that you are complaining about a situation you don't like.   Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong, bad, evil, cheat or a shenanigan.

Also, are you the person who gets to make that claim in the first place?   Seems to me that only the company can claim it to be a shenanigan.  If they have done that, you haven't demonstrated that the company has called it such.

You are doing sales.  Sales is tough.  Here is a video to watch about it:  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

edited December 2015
    waynejr2 said:
    Pratt2112 said:

Well, you haven't done anything the demonstrate that it is a shenanigan.  You are making a claim and it just seems that you are complaining about a situation you don't like.   Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong, bad, evil, cheat or a shenanigan.

Also, are you the person who gets to make that claim in the first place?   Seems to me that only the company can claim it to be a shenanigan.  If they have done that, you haven't demonstrated that the company has called it such.

Wow.

Why are you being so defensive over a question? I don't recall calling anyone out by name, including you, or even the retainers I'm referring to in my explanation.

Saying "sales is tough" does not address what I'm describing or asking about. It's a deflection from my question, not a response to it.

Unsanctioned addons and bots in FFXIV are a known thing. They exist. People use them. This is fact. Some people will even openly discuss using them. So, the idea that there might be some addon designed to track market sales is not at all far fetched. Nor is the idea of a market bot that automatically checks prices, and adjusts them as necessary - because things like this also exist.

I'm simply saying "Hey, I'm noticing something strange over the past few weeks, and have found it to happen consistently and predictably, regardless of time of day or night. I'm curious if anyone's aware of any means people might be using to make this possible, aside from being online 24/7, camping the market boards". 

I'm not pointing fingers or accusing anyone. I'm asking a question about something I've witnessed happening. So, again, it's curious that you responsd so defensively about it. You're so quick to try and shut down the question, and launch into ad hominems instead, as though you've been personally accused or something. It's a very "guilty conscience" type reaction.

So, if you'd like to provide a constructive response that is relevant to that question, and refrain from the snarky non-arguments and deflections, I'd appreciate it.

If you have nothing to say, then please stop derailing the thread, and allow people with more helpful and relevant insight/replies to discuss the topic.

Thank you.
    Post edited by Pratt2112 on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have not played FFXIV in a while and never really paid enough attention to the market at that point.

However having experience watching RMT activity closely in FFXi,i can say they literally stand right at the auction house and monitor it and undercut accordingly.So i would assume they also stand and monitor the market board.

You see they just have multiple players on an account so there are several things rmt do.One is like fish botting,then use another player to keep transporting those fish or farming bots then transport those item into town while the other character  stays active.They also take no breaks,they simply replace one person with another to keep those characters going 24/7.

I get extremely frustrated by rmt ruining game economies,i could complain and have tried in the past,but nothing gets done.The reason is developers don't really care,they make you jump through hoops to file any complaints against rmt activity and then wait and wait and wait.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited December 2015
    RMT and other actions against the ELA is actively discouraged and SE post numbers on there news page of the number of accounts permabanned/temp-banned/warned etc.

*Edited for spelling
    RMT and other actions against the ELA is actively discouraged and SQ post numbers on there news page of the number of accounts permabanned/temp-banned/warned etc.

RMT is not his problem. His problem is that he is competing with somebody.

EXAMPLE:
    Like Wal Mart and K Mart. Wal Mart sells grapes for 3$. Now K mart sells it for 2.50$. Now Wal Mart changes the price or say's. buy one, get one.

These examples are stuff that happens in real life everyday.

I have spent hours at the MB undercutting people. Hell, I need money. I don't care if the dude next to me is too. I WANT THE GIL. So I will do whatever I need to do to get the sale.

So yes, like the user above stated. It's all about sales.

Don't sell bundles of 50 or 99. That shit pisses people off real bad. I need 1 grade 4 carbonized matter and all I can find are bundles of 99 for 100k. Yeah, piss off on that. I sell in bundles of 5.

It's not RMT. It's a dog eat dog world and either you go with the flow or you don't.

Some people actually only play the game for crafting/gathering and playing the MB. They live for that shit. That's why they have billions of honest earned gil.

What I think is you found people who don't like to be under cut, so they did it to you, and so on and so on. In an endless battle of undercutting. I know because I been there.

On Cactuar, honestly, there are prolly 5 or 6 RMT peeps, none of which are MB active. The just hang in hubs sending tells. But I don't see tells in chat no more nor here the sound either.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2015
    FFXIV is a special game , lots of ppl only play Crafting / gathering jobs and play the market ....it sucks sometimes ...but nothing u can do.

i sell less now than before , but even then if a item sells for 10k i put it for 9950 if some1 sells it for 9945 i dont care , his item will sell then mine...camping the MB is boring
    Skuall said:
    camping the MB is boring
    Completely agree 100%
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Why are you complaining exactly? You should be testing to see how low you can get them to drop their prices and then scoop up their stock and turn around and sell at a profit
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Kefo said:
    Why are you complaining exactly? You should be testing to see how low you can get them to drop their prices and then scoop up their stock and turn around and sell at a profit
    It might take some trial and error and a few gil to figure out what kind of lower bounds they have scripted but one could probably exploit them for some profit and push them out of the market at the same time.  That is, assuming the conspiracy is true.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    What he describes sounds like your average script used by RMT.
    So I really wonder why you guys are trying so hard to discredit him.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Dakeru said:
    Kind of wondering the same thing.
    Pratt2112 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Pratt2112 said:

Wow.

Why are you being so defensive over a question? I don't recall calling anyone out by name, including you, or even the retainers I'm referring to in my explanation.

Saying "sales is tough" does not address what I'm describing or asking about. It's a deflection from my question, not a response to it.

Unsanctioned addons and bots in FFXIV are a known thing. They exist. People use them. This is fact. Some people will even openly discuss using them. So, the idea that there might be some addon designed to track market sales is not at all far fetched. Nor is the idea of a market bot that automatically checks prices, and adjusts them as necessary - because things like this also exist.

I'm simply saying "Hey, I'm noticing something strange over the past few weeks, and have found it to happen consistently and predictably, regardless of time of day or night. I'm curious if anyone's aware of any means people might be using to make this possible, aside from being online 24/7, camping the market boards". 

I'm not pointing fingers or accusing anyone. I'm asking a question about something I've witnessed happening. So, again, it's curious that you responsd so defensively about it. You're so quick to try and shut down the question, and launch into ad hominems instead, as though you've been personally accused or something. It's a very "guilty conscience" type reaction.

So, if you'd like to provide a constructive response that is relevant to that question, and refrain from the snarky non-arguments and deflections, I'd appreciate it.

If you have nothing to say, then please stop derailing the thread, and allow people with more helpful and relevant insight/replies to discuss the topic.

Thank you.

Defensive?  lol.  You asked a question.  I answered it.  You don't like it when things don't go your way.

edited December 2015

waynejr2 said:
    Pratt2112 said:
    waynejr2 said:

Defensive?  lol.  You asked a question.  I answered it.  You don't like it when things don't go your way.
    Yes. Defensive. I asked a question. You ignore the actual question, and immediately go on the attack, challenging me on things that are neither founded, nor relevant to what I asked. Yes, that seems like very defensive behavior to me, like I hit a nerve. 

You were answering something, but it wasn't the question I asked. You've basically been arguing with yourself.

Try again. Maybe actually read and take the time to comprehend what I wrote this time before answering. Then, respond to what I said, not to a strawman of your own creation.

As for everyone else taking turns with spinning or otherwise ignoring what I actually said (twice now)...

Did any of you even bother to actually read what I posted? I don't mean skimming over it for keywords that jumped out at you. I mean, actually read it, thoroughly, in context? 

It's like people saw the words "market" and "undercut" in my post, ignored the rest, and filled in the blanks with their own imagined narrative.

I asked a very simple, straight forward question. I stated it quite clearly and plainly. I explained my reason for asking quite clearly and plainly. I find it amazing so many people are having such a difficult time answering it with a sane, relevant response.

It has nothing to do with me "being sore" about competing. I expect competition on the market in a MMO. I have in every MMO I've played. The difference is.. in every other MMO I've played, I've never seen the phenomenon I've seen in FFXIV - which I've already explained. 

It's not about me "having trouble with market competition" or undercutting. If that's all you got out of it, then you didn't read what I wrote. Read it again, and repeat as necessary until you can distinguish between what you assume I'm talking about, and what I'm actually talking about.

If you can't do that, then please leave the thread and leave it to others who can do so.

Thank you.

edited December 2015
    Dakeru said:
    Because we have REAL life youtubers who do nothing BUT play the MB all day and thats all they like to do. Nothing wrong with that.

He just thinks its a conspiricy.

See, what happened is he Undercut someone. So what did they do? Undercut him. So he undercuts again causing the other dude to undercut.

Honestly, I would not be surprised if the person they were trying to undercut is on the OF forums right now saying the same thing you are.

2 people who think their fighting RMT bots LMAO but their just fighting each other.

It happens and if they need to vent, then so be it.

Here is an example of an MB player on an EU server, making 9 pm for us, like 7 am to them. So if their from a different country......then that explains everything just like: 

Follow Ashe10!
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/ashe10
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/xashe10x

Here's a video of Mr Happy with him explaining how to work the MB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mak_XrLcNnM
    watch at 6:00 in.

You'll do well to remember that different time zones are real and do exist. I sell shit on the MB at anytime. IDC if it's 2 am, 7 am, or 9 pm.
    edited December 2015

Pratt2112 said:
    Knowing there are people *that* obsessed with selling first on the market board, that they'd track/camp it 24/7, would be seriously disturbing to me.

But there are people who do this. My buddy only ever does crafts gathering and MB all damn day. No dungeons, just adjusting shit on the MB all the time.

Some find it a hobby weather we like it or not.

EDIT: remember, we have a "No AFK" timer in game. So it is possable for people to be on all the time. 

Also if you do like me, while I slept and or worked my GF would do my crafting and gathering for me.

Maybe they have a roomie or GF or BF that helps them or likes to do it.

My GF likes to do the stuff in game that I dont like or want to do.
    Pratt2112 said:

waynejr2 said:
    Pratt2112 said:
    waynejr2 said:

Yes. Defensive. I asked a question. You ignore the actual question, and immediately go on the attack, challenging me on things that are neither founded, nor relevant to what I asked. Yes, that seems like very defensive behavior to me, like I hit a nerve. 

You were answering something, but it wasn't the question I asked. You've basically been arguing with yourself.

Try again. Maybe actually read and take the time to comprehend what I wrote this time before answering. Then, respond to what I said, not to a strawman of your own creation.

As for everyone else taking turns with spinning or otherwise ignoring what I actually said (twice now)...

Did any of you even bother to actually read what I posted? I don't mean skimming over it for keywords that jumped out at you. I mean, actually read it, thoroughly, in context? 

It's like people saw the words "market" and "undercut" in my post, ignored the rest, and filled in the blanks with their own imagined narrative.

I asked a very simple, straight forward question. I stated it quite clearly and plainly. I explained my reason for asking quite clearly and plainly. I find it amazing so many people are having such a difficult time answering it with a sane, relevant response.

It has nothing to do with me "being sore" about competing. I expect competition on the market in a MMO. I have in every MMO I've played. The difference is.. in every other MMO I've played, I've never seen the phenomenon I've seen in FFXIV - which I've already explained. 

It's not about me "having trouble with market competition" or undercutting. If that's all you got out of it, then you didn't read what I wrote. Read it again, and repeat as necessary until you can distinguish between what you assume I'm talking about, and what I'm actually talking about.

If you can't do that, then please leave the thread and leave it to others who can do so.

Thank you.

Wow, I think you are just arguing now.