Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Will I enjoy it?

Sterlin22Sterlin22 Member UncommonPosts: 16
edited December 2015 in Elder Scrolls Online
I've recently acquired a fair amount of time on my hands and am looking for another MMO to play. Grinding MMOs like Oldschool Runescape definitely keep me hooked, and I love a MMO with a developed and engaging economy, but after building a gaming PC I've wanted this type of gameplay in something more than just a java based low quality isometric view type of game.

Everyone seems to be speaking highly of Elder Scrolls Online now a days, I remember there were all sorts of complaints and issues with it towards its earlier stages. It even won some MMORPG rewards this year.

The game seems like it has it all: PvP, raids, crafting, isn't subscription based, first-person / third-person gameplay, character building freedom, dope cinematics, an interesting story (elder scrolls lore), etc.

But how is the end game? I personally know I wouldn't take advantage of the "prestige" functionalities of the game (where you use the same character and join another faction after you reach the max level), so I'd end up just pursuing the economy, raiding, pvping, etc. 

Can anyone provide any insight as to how the end-game gear is obtained, and whether or not there's varying qualities (or tiers) of end-game gear? 

Any info is appreciated! 

Comments

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    In my honest opinion it's the best MMO on the market right now.  Extremely immersive and fun.  Character building is second to none.  It's easy to get into but challenging to master.  I played at launch for 90 days and took a break.  Went back last December and been playing it as my full time MMO and still haven't accomplished everything I want to on main character (and I don't play alts really).  So much to do.

End game gear depends greatly on your build and class.  Many sets (with various 2 to 5 pc set bonus') are crafted and many others are looted.  Huge diversity in sets to work towards.  Max level gear can be crafted in or dropped in many qualities and even dropped items of lower tiers can be upgraded with crafting to Legendary.

Get a free trial key and go play now.  It's the first time they have ever put out a free trial weekend and it's happening now.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    First yes there is something about ESO that just keeps you coming back. But the bugs lag and other issues make's the game piss you off. The more people that are online the more lag you get. There are a lot of problems with the game like I said and balance in pvp is another of them. 

But yes you will not be sorry if you play it but just remember until they make major changes on development at times it will get under your skin. 

By all means buy it and play it. Oh this free weekend proves their megaserver can't handle a lot of people.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    its a good mmo but its not skyrim online.
    if you like mmo`s you will like it but dont expect it to blow you away!
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    It is on steam. Try it out. There is a money back guarantee. 
    NOOOOOOOOO it is full price on steam, 32 dollars on ESO site for imperial edition. 

• NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Well it was 15 bucks or so few days ago
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

I played in beta and thought the game was absolutely awful. What have they done to reduce the suckfest?

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    You'll never be sure until you try it yourself. Don't they have some free trial going right now?
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

Well it was 15 bucks or so few days ago
    On certain sites the non imperial edition was 15 yes. But people have had trouble with the keys they get from some sites so I would be careful who you buy from. 

• JohnxboyJohnxboy Member UncommonPosts: 104
    If you like fun, probably not. If you are a huge nerd of the lore and like beating yourself with sub par products yeah you will love it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If you are planning to buy the game, then Amazon is selling the box copy at a much lower price than on Steam, it would be better if there was a free trial of the game tbh, but no point throwing away money for no good reason.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited December 2015
    Sterlin22 said:
    I've recently acquired a fair amount of time on my hands and am looking for another MMO to play. Grinding MMOs like Oldschool Runescape definitely keep me hooked, and I love a MMO with a developed and engaging economy, but after building a gaming PC I've wanted this type of gameplay in something more than just a java based low quality isometric view type of game.

Everyone seems to be speaking highly of Elder Scrolls Online now a days, I remember there were all sorts of complaints and issues with it towards its earlier stages. It even won some MMORPG rewards this year.

The game seems like it has it all: PvP, raids, crafting, isn't subscription based, first-person / third-person gameplay, character building freedom, dope cinematics, an interesting story (elder scrolls lore), etc.

But how is the end game? I personally know I wouldn't take advantage of the "prestige" functionalities of the game (where you use the same character and join another faction after you reach the max level), so I'd end up just pursuing the economy, raiding, pvping, etc. 

Can anyone provide any insight as to how the end-game gear is obtained, and whether or not there's varying qualities (or tiers) of end-game gear? 

Any info is appreciated! 

V16 gear is end game. Gear has different quality levels from common to legendary. All gear is up-gradable.  At this moment crafted gear is truly the best gear in game, so there is no grind to be competitive except for the mats which can be gotten in a few different ways. In the past crafted and dropped gear have been more or less even. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Sterlin22Sterlin22 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited December 2015
    bcbully said:
    Sterlin22 said:

Any info is appreciated! 

V16 gear is end game. Gear has different quality levels from common to legendary. All gear is up-gradable.  At this moment crafted gear is truly the best gear in game, so there is no grind to be competitive except for the mats which can be gotten in a few different ways. In the past crafted and dropped gear have been more or less even. 

V16? That's a pretty large number. 

While I understand that giving everyone the same quality of gear makes for a more balanced game, I've always found it so much more rewarding and enjoyable when a MMO rewards players, who put in the extra amount of time, for superior gear. 

It's one of the reasons I got hooked on Runescape, and one of the reasons I used to be hooked on WoW. In WoW I remember those dope moments in Battlegrounds (or raids, if looking at DPS meters) where one or two players from a given team grew notorious for exceptional gameplay and general OPness. They earned their higher-end Gear. 

I've disliked MMOs like Guild Wars 2, where everyone is always seemingly of the same caliber. In my opinion it makes for a loss of individuality or uniqueness. 

One thing about the V16 gear and all V gear is how hard it is and how many mats you need. It really gets people upset with crafting in the higher phase. Can't wait for the Vet system to finally go bye bye, was suppose to be gone over a year ago. They also promised not to raise the V15 yet they went and did it to V16, now they say they will never go to V17. Time will tell. :-D

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You really need to try Albion Online. It reminds me a lot of UO/Runescape with a splash of EVE. I really think it wlll be the sleeper hit of 2016. If you want to try it out and start off with some gear/gold use my referral link.

https://albiononline.com/?ref=YGTLXSLDS5

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Albion is amazing if you have a time machine to take you back to 1994 and give it to your 1994 self to play... you will blow your own mind.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Yeah I have an account there from August 24, 2014 and I have to wait till next month to purchase a founder pack. Christmas comes first then I can spoil myself in January.  =) 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Brenics said:
    NOOOOOOOOO it is full price on steam, 32 dollars on ESO site for imperial edition. 
    i said TRY IT OUT. Get a refund after, and buy it cheaper somewhere else. 
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    click youtube, watch lets play teso = profit???????
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

Worth a try, but ultimately it's a matter of personal taste.

The game is beautiful and immersive and tells some good stories with great and diverse character building, but for me I couldn't get past the combat which I found unsatisfying in terms of fluidity and a real sense of hitting the targets. Was just too floaty and poorly animated for me.

There is a ton of questing, which is all solo. So if you like questing that will be enjoyable. For me, I got to VR4 before I couldn't do any more.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited December 2015
    Sterlin22 said:
    bcbully said:
    Sterlin22 said:

Any info is appreciated! 

V16? That's a pretty large number. 

While I understand that giving everyone the same quality of gear makes for a more balanced game, I've always found it so much more rewarding and enjoyable when a MMO rewards players, who put in the extra amount of time, for superior gear. 

It's one of the reasons I got hooked on Runescape, and one of the reasons I used to be hooked on WoW. In WoW I remember those dope moments in Battlegrounds (or raids, if looking at DPS meters) where one or two players from a given team grew notorious for exceptional gameplay and general OPness. They earned their higher-end Gear. 

I've disliked MMOs like Guild Wars 2, where everyone is always seemingly of the same caliber. In my opinion it makes for a loss of individuality or uniqueness. 

First, ESO is an amazing mmo and I think you will love it.

You can have a lot of fun in all aspects- pve, pvp, crafting, trade, exploration, story etc. Its balanced enough so that undergeared players can have fun and contribute, but if you put in the time you will be that OP player you are talking about above.

Unlike in GW2, you become OP mainly through gear, levels, potions, food, champion points, and other grind-based buffs (similar to WoW and so forth). If you have skill and teamwork on top of that it will be the icing on the cake.

There are currently no battlegrounds, just one big Realm vs Realm pvp area and a pve/pvp dungeon area, but both are quite well done. I have seen one player taking on five (or more) many times, and small groups of well-geared characters can massacre hordes of undergeared players, so it seems right up your alley in that respect.

Here is one of my favorite videos of the pvp:

One player taking out an entire enemy army, I don't think it gets much more OP than that.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Just can't seem to stay interested beyond level 6. The game has a lot to offer in character building. However, the UI and thus combat, is one of the most awful  experiences I've ever had to deal with.

It kinda feels like ZM wanted to copy the look and feel of Skyrim to try to retain some of that feeling players were familiar with wherever possible. If they did, they did this without understanding what they were doing. Skyrim's UI is freaking awful too. The single most popular Skyrim Mod available is SkyUI. They should have stuck with UI mechanics that work for MMORPGs instead of copying the Single Player Elder Scrolls elements. ESO is not action combat and your game doesn't pause when you hit the menu, yet there is no decent flow to it.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Just can't seem to stay interested beyond level 6. The game has a lot to offer in character building. However, the UI and thus combat, is one of the most awful  experiences I've ever had to deal with.

It kinda feels like ZM wanted to copy the look and feel of Skyrim to try to retain some of that feeling players were familiar with wherever possible. If they did, they did this without understanding what they were doing. Skyrim's UI is freaking awful too. The single most popular Skyrim Mod available is SkyUI. They should have stuck with UI mechanics that work for MMORPGs instead of copying the Single Player Elder Scrolls elements. ESO is not action combat and your game doesn't pause when you hit the menu, yet there is no decent flow to it.

That's quite interesting, I find the resource based combat quite fun and for me its one of the best parts of the game. I am trying to imagine what you mean by "ESO is not action combat and your game doesn't pause when you hit the menu, yet there is no decent flow to it", but I can't picture it.

Even by level six I feel like the combat is pretty free flowing and engaging. For example, as a templar with greatsword I could use a ranged holy/fire spell then charge in, block an enemy's heavy attack, knock it down and wail on it. Seems pretty actiony to me and not sure why I would want to pause during that (are there mmos that even let you pause?).