Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Crowdfunding Milestones Discussion

Comments

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    yipee doo.  when is this game coming out again?

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    GRATS !  :-D

Have fun
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    time007 said:
    wonder what the incentive is to finish a product when a company raises that much money.
    wonder what the incentive is to finish a product when a company raises that much money.
    Reputation ?

Honour ?

A much bigger market for follow up games, expansions and DLCs afterwards  (a.k.a. profit) ?

Dedication ?

Professional Pride ?

After Launch Bonus Payments for Employees ?

Have fun

Star Citizen Backers have passed  the 100 million dollar mark (100,024,237 $)

Number of "Star Citizens" is currently at  1,086,439  

(up from 1,058,308   ....+ 28,131 since the 99 million mark)

Number of "UEE Fleet":     839,066  

(up from 828,036....+ 11,030 since the 98 million mark)

Notable is the new world record for crowdfunding (any genre) .. by a LARGE margin and Alpha 2.0 going live on the standard test server for all backers.

Have fun

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Erillion said:
    Reputation ?

Honour ?

A much bigger market for follow up games, expansions and DLCs afterwards  (a.k.a. profit) ?

Dedication ?

Professional Pride ?

After Launch Bonus Payments for Employees ?

Have fun
    You realize he's using this money to pad his movie directing career right?  The game will come out.  It might be good.  But it will also have a bunch of directed movie scenes.  Which cost money.  Lots of it for key players.  He could release a game with experimental content, include the movie scenes  and then call it a day.  The game if good, will make more money from further sales as it releases to the general population.  If the game fails, he can use whatever money is left to invest it in a new project.  He will have directed Mark Hammill, etc. to pad his resume.

win win for him.  only the gamers that backed the game really have something to lose.
      He will have directed Mark Hammill, etc. to pad his resume.
    That is on his CV since 1994 (Wing Commander 3). Nothing new.

Have fun
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Yanocchi said:
    Just reading about this guy who spent around $30000.00 on SC.  He worked side jobs to pay for what he bought, so it's not even like he was a millionaire and that was just pocket change for him.  Life is indeed interesting.

http://www.pcgamer.com/meet-a-fan-who-has-spent-30000-on-star-citizen-ships/

Quoting the $30k guy: People think that this is a scam, all those haters. There’s that—I’m not even going to mention his name—the one guy, I know you know who it is, who keeps ragging on it.

Sounds like the person he is referring to is now as terrifying as Lord Voldemort to some gamers.

I bet people that had invested with Bernie Madoff were adamant that it wasn't a scam either.
    Which is not to imply SC is a scam but simply that when you're financially and emotionally invested in something you tend to lose perspective.

I bet people that had invested with Bernie Madoff were adamant that it wasn't a scam either.

Which is not to imply SC is a scam but simply that when you're financially and emotionally invested in something you tend to lose perspective.
    Sure ...  a Bernie Madoff calibre scam.

Running for three years, with currently 260 people working on that scam, at a current burn rate of 2.5 million plus per month. Even showing journalists around in their game studios (all fake of course). With 166.000 alpha testers in the PTU Public Test Servers (now ALL backers on the standard test server). Its so much of a scam, that they even refund your pledge money.

I am sure all of them devs are chilling on a  Pacific island and laughing at us, because they are confusing us by acting like they SPENT all that scam money. To make the scam even more believable, they have even created an Alpha version of a game. Dastardly con-men, all of them !

But wait ... that is not all .... to absolutely grab our balls and make us believe in that scam, they have half a dozen Triple-A class Hollywood actors pretending to participate in that game....err... scam  (I am sure they are blackmailing them somehow).

They prepared for that scam for the last two decades. Even faking a few computer games called "Scam" Commander (or something like that) and bribing someone to list them in the Computer Game Hall of Fame. Insidious bastards ! They wanted to make us believe they know anything about coding.

A scam. Clearly ! No other explanation possible. Bernie would be proud.

Have fun
    edited December 2015
    You really need to control those jerky knees Erillion.
    Did you miss the second sentence where I explicitly stated that there was no implication of a scam, just that people financially and emotionally invested tend to lose perspective.

Thank you for proving my point so succinctly.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It seems that SC has gained some of the "WoW-factor", i.e. the amount of people involved has now grown so large that the project becomes kind of self-sustaining...

A million "registered members" means that word-of-mouth will be a significant marketing tool. People are far more likely to respond to the positive comments from friends and co-workers rather than the negative rants of some stranger posted on the internet.
    Did you miss the second sentence where I explicitly stated that there was no implication of a scam, just that people financially and emotionally invested tend to lose perspective.

What was your point exactly again ?

Is your triumph that you "proved" that Eriliion is "emotionally involved" in SC ?

Congratulations Captain Obvious, we'd never have known were it not for your clever Exposé !

Serious fans of anything are always emotionally involved in their hobbies. That doesn't automatically make them incoherent. By the way, some of the people that regularly attack SC here are very obviously "emotionally involved" in their campaigns to destroy the game.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am just so incredibly happy that Chris has received that 100 million.I am certain he is starving and has to eat K-dinner every night and pick up rotten apples from his neighbors lawn.

It especially makes me happy since the next homeless person those backers see likely gets ignored and walk right past with their nose in the air.Yep i am sure Chris really needed that money,i'm sure he has to take the bus everyday and wears flip flops and a pair of shorts.

I especially like the part where they created shares,gave themselves "Chris,his brother and the lawyer"ALL of the shares,then sold them back to the company "YOUR money" lmao,man if that doesn't have scam written all over it,idk .
    So what likely happened is they needed more money and needed to put up company investment to borrow more money.So instead of taking YOUR money and putting every last cent into the game,they use it as a sort of collateral which of course will cost the company more money in the long run.I am of course guessing but nothing else makes sense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

What was your point exactly again ?

Is your triumph that you "proved" that Eriliion is "emotionally involved" in SC ?

Congratulations Captain Obvious, we'd never have known were it not for your clever Exposé !

Serious fans of anything are always emotionally involved in their hobbies. That doesn't automatically make them incoherent. By the way, some of the people that regularly attack SC here are very obviously "emotionally involved" in their campaigns to destroy the game.

Wow you're really hurting me with your put down, so severe.

I said people lose perspective, guy responds with a rant about something almost totally unrelated to the discussion.
    I say, see what I mean. Is that simple enough for your pre-schooler pea-brain.

Any particular reason you're so defensive of Erillion?

I said people lose perspective, guy responds with a rant about something almost totally unrelated to the discussion.
    I say, see what I mean. Is that simple enough for your pre-schooler pea-brain.

Your post contained 2 sentences. Both of those sentences contained the word "scam".

I fail to see how the response was "totally unrelated to the topic".

Your 2 sentences were in reply to 2 quotes. Unfortunately, your reply to those quotes was "almost totally unrelated to the topic", given that the quotes were focused on how much money dedicated fans can spend on their hobbies, and how people avoid using Derek Smart's name...

So if an "unrelated response" is supposedly proof of "emotional involvement", then you "proved" that you were emotionally invested in the scam allegations ! :D
    /golfclap
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with SC according to the number of hate posts you have made here.
    Do you love to hate SC, or do you hate to love SC? You seem to care, otherwise you´d post in some Chinese browser game forum and tell them how much you hate their game, every day.
    DocBrody said:

you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with SC according to the number of hate posts you have made here.
    Do you love to hate SC, or do you hate to love SC? You seem to care, otherwise you´d post in some Chinese browser game forum and tell them how much you hate their game, every day.

Ironic coming from the guy that would slag off Elite whenever he had the chance. I think I'm quite happy ignoring any unwanted advice you dole out, thank you very much.

It's funny that any questions, no matter how insignificant are classed as "hate". You're not doing yourselves any favours by calling things that, it just ends up looking like you're ultra-sensitive.
    I'm £50 in the pot for Star Citizen and that grants me the right to ask a question or make a comment about it. If you don't like the comment or question you're more than welcome to skip on by.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    time007 said:

That's an interesting point, I don't think anyone on these forums has every brought this up.

Maybe you can start a personal smear campaign for self promotion and file suit while your at it.

But you better hurry before someone else thinks of it.

I just love original thinkers.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    I still can't get over people comparing this company to company's that have to prove where the money is going and have people behind the developers pushing for a game to go live. 

There is no one at CIG holding anyone's feet to the fire to actually make the game and then needing another sale this 12/16 sounds like they need more cash. But it is who you talk to about the game, one side with no proof at all will say the game is coming along fine, the other side just looks at it as a scam to make others rich.

The only thing we know for sure is Chris Roberts was broke before this project hit the KS world. Now it seems like he is doing very very will. 

On the 12/16 sale some will say "will they do this every year' which makes  my point!
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    That is a lot of money and still more stretch goals. A massive and superb game could be produced from that.

But, with a CEO that has no experience managing this kind of money and managing such a big company, you can be sure that it will not be spent efficiently. Overhead costs will be huge like with all fast growing companies and it is easy to lose sight of costs if you deal with this much in bank.

Not having a final feature set is also a way of making sure to waste a lot of money. I don't believe for a second that this guy can manage a company this big while also producing a massive game with feature creep. It is already difficult enough to produce a quality MMO with features set in stone at start without having to also manage a fast expanding company. Just look at what has been released so far.

As for the movie like cutscenes. That could be a great bonus for a game, but I would not expect them to start with that before having an actual working alpha (not just a part, but the final feature set).

Being excited about what you want to produce, doesn't make you the right guy for it. They can't even properly handle the social media it seems.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Congrats.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The game looks great, but runs worse than any game I've seen at the "alpha" level. From Gloria Victis to Landmark, SC is the least stable with the most profound errors. 

I don't see how it could be made right anytime soon, and time is money. I would not be surprised if the game needs another 100 million to fix. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    "The force is with you young Star Citizen, but you are not a game yet."
  • IzzinIzzin Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Really do not need to come see it, already have. Plus you and others obsession to shut any negative voice is pretty psychotic. Even on the forums over at CIG any people that post about big problems with 2.0 are met with the same attacks and threads are locked and buried. I think that says a LOT about the game. 
    I am very curious for you to link one thread where there has been constructive criticism for 2.0 that has got locked. I see many opinions, yes, there is the back and forth discussion. I have yet to see any constructive feedback discussion get locked or buried as you say. 

There are problems with 2.0 I agree completely, most of them are around personal opinions and dislikes. 
    For example: 

I hate the ability for people to steal my ship 
         -  its alpha, the rule set and pve(p) sliders are not implemented. 
    The game is worthless without TIR
         - TIR is planned, it worked in early PTU due to a hack, it is commited to be added. Engine function to scale/stability is priority.

These are just two of discussions that I see back and forth. There are a few concerns about Frame Rate, the engine is alpha, some have poor, others have stellar FPS.

It is my opinion browsing the forums way more than I should that the consensus is more positive then negative as to the current state of an ALPHA build that incorporates revolutionary elements under 1 umbrella. 

I have been watching the banter back and forth for a while, where I welcome opinion positive or negative to any topic. The sheer venom toward this project, and anyone who believes in the project is astounding. If the efforts spent in a negative fashion could ever be harnessed for the good of the industry we would certainly be in a different place.

Finally as for the funding, I say Good for CIG. I would expect to see more sales, why wouldn't we? I do not care to speculate if it is due to need for funding or not. That is not my concern, even though I have a nice investment into the health of the game and do intend to invest more. But after so many sales, the population is now conditioned to wait for sales to further invest. 

Just because they continue to offer ships for real money, which as we understand it, will not change once the game has been fully released. This in no ways affects your pocket book unless you want it. It is not a tax that you are obligated to pay. So why the hate for those who can justify the disposable income and spend it on a game, versus for example a case of beer or a bottle of wine. 

Let them spend their money where they desire, if this does end up being a negative return on investment, then those who have lost will have to decide for themselves if they would ever do this in the future.

I close by Saying, Great Job CIG, you have done some ground breaking work to date. I eagerly look forward to what tomorrow brings and seeing the vision that I have backed come to fruition. 

--Izz