Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Closed Beta 1 Key Giveaway! - Black Desert Online News

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Torval said:
    On top of this the bots are lying when they click the "I'm not a bot" Captcha box. :chuffed: 
    This is true...  damn lying bots!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited December 2015
    Also, you are assuming that a bunch of bots/fake users are getting keys but I don't see any proof of that - I just spent about 10 minutes browsing through the list of users that got the first 1250 keys and nothing stood out like past bot/cheat activity we have seen - no large groups of similar IPs, no masses of usernames with no thought. etc.  Once we upgraded to the Google captcha system we saw this kind of activity fall off - because our old captcha was far from bot-proof.

Just because you see keys on eBay does not mean that they came from here - many other websites are giving out beta keys for Black Desert Online today.

No system will be 100% locked down to stop someone from getting multiple keys if they are determined enough but we do feel we have done everything we can for an open key giveaway.

When we kicked this event off today we instantly were showing 1000+ people online in our real time stats and 80% of this traffic was coming from Facebook and Twitter - so I do think that most of the 1250 keys went to legit people.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• thunderclesthundercles Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Admin said:
    Alomar said:
    Did you not learn from the Alpha BDO keys, and yet you still made these first come first serve? If 1/20th of the keys got to your actual member's I'd be surprised.

Very shameful display.

We don't have another way to distribute 2500 keys. We used to have the method of users posting in a thread to get a key but since we migrated the forums off the main site to a hosted solution we cannot tie them together anymore.
    Holy snots! 2500 keys were gone that fast! How about send some keys via pm. Like to the folks in this thread:)
  • XeromattXeromatt Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Admin said:
    Also, you are assuming that a bunch of bots/fake users are getting keys but I don't see any proof of that - I just spent about 10 minutes browsing through the list of users that got the first 1250 keys and nothing stood out like past bot/cheat activity we have seen - no large groups of similar IPs, no masses of usernames with no thought. etc.  Once we upgraded to the Google captcha system we saw this kind of activity fall off - because our old captcha was far from bot-proof.

Just because you see keys on eBay does not mean that they came from here - many other websites are giving out beta keys for Black Desert Online today.

No system will be 100% locked down to stop someone from getting multiple keys if they are determined enough but we do feel we have done everything we can for an open key giveaway.
    When will the next batch be released?
  • poman313poman313 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    I will take one of those keys if you do lmao
    Admin said:
    Alomar said:
    Did you not learn from the Alpha BDO keys, and yet you still made these first come first serve? If 1/20th of the keys got to your actual member's I'd be surprised.

Very shameful display.

We don't have another way to distribute 2500 keys. We used to have the method of users posting in a thread to get a key but since we migrated the forums off the main site to a hosted solution we cannot tie them together anymore.
    Holy snots! 2500 keys were gone that fast! How about send some keys via pm. Like to the folks in this thread:)
    No we still have 1250 left to go.  Keep an eye on the site in about 45 minutes ;-)

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Xeromatt said:
    Admin said:

Guy with 1st post... I... am... not... suspicious!  Nope, not at all!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    drtack1 said:
    So black desert doesn't work on windows 10?

I've had zero issues running it on Windows 10
  • XeromattXeromatt Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited December 2015
    Xeromatt said:
    Admin said:

Guy with 1st post... I... am... not... suspicious!  Nope, not at all!
    Long time lurker. I feel like I'd get into a pointless heated discussion if I were to actually post on most topics here, so yeah. EDIT: If you don't believe me look at the date I joined. ;)
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Admin said:
    Alomar said:

Very shameful display.

I agree with others on this MMORPG.com - this is on YOU.

Your "SYSTEM" is garbage.  It is necroing old (expired) competitions.  It is necroing old reviews and articles.
    It's making the site a joke.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

And FYI the last 1250 keys went in about 18.5 minutes.  It opened at 2:48PM EST and the last key went at 3:06PM EST.  

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• HalfgrimmHalfgrimm Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Key me baby... Be cooooool.
    Buried under rocks. Hidden under leaves. Halfgrimm the whole time.
  • MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137
    damnit I was too late!
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Admin said:
    Alomar said:

Very shameful display.

Is that really an official answer, it sounds like we're talking to a couple of teenagers managing their first site with a budget of $50 a month. That's nothing more than an excuse, if no one at mmorpg.com has an answer to solve this issue contact a site who does or hire a contractor who can teach you. This isn't rocket science here.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • dmm02dmm02 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited December 2015
    damn waiting for next round
    So what is your solution to distribute thousands of keys and guarantee that no one is able to sell their key on ebay?  We limit by IP, we use Google's captcha and we constantly purge suspicious accounts.  The Internet is more or less anonymous, especially to those that know how to manipulate things.  

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    mail me one!!

Personally I would tie it in to site participation.  People opt in.. they get 1 ticket per post, or 1 ticket per year on the site.. something like that.  Then after X time the tickets are drawn and keys handed out.

Does it give long time or active users an edge? Sure, but those are also the folks that are helping to create the content that draws folks here, it also would still be possible for a day one person to win a key, just less likely.

• wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Stop letting IP's x3 of the same for starters, sure you may quickly use a vpn or whatever but that takes time to click to get a good one for most people these days, and you only need one IP for one key because the release of the IP to give to another person does not happen often enough to warrant what you said earlier about it.

one key one IP is fair thats it... At least you could say you did that part to limit the problems then.
  • TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Even though I may not get a key.. i still appreciate the effort.. People are just upset.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Drawing a conclusion from Admin's statement that about 80% of the activity came from Facebook and Twitter. If you want a better chance at getting these giveaways then you need to monitor Facebook or Twitter.  

For me it's not worth it and I accept the results of my choice to not monitor Facebook and Twitter. 

Thank you for these opportunities MMORPG.com.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • HalfgrimmHalfgrimm Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Really guys? It's not like you pay to be members here and the content you add is voluntary and not all that great to begin with. Give administration a break. We missed our shots and now we can drown in our tears and rant and bitch about it all we like... but it's not going to really change anything. To all of you that snagged one. Congrats. To those of us who didn't. Better luck next time.  
    Buried under rocks. Hidden under leaves. Halfgrimm the whole time.
    edited December 2015
    wyldmagik said:
    Stop letting IP's x3 of the same for starters, sure you may quickly use a vpn or whatever but that takes time to click to get a good one for most people these days, and you only need one IP for one key because the release of the IP to give to another person does not happen often enough to warrant what you said earlier about it.

one key one IP is fair thats it... At least you could say you did that part to limit the problems then.
    It does happen a lot actually.  When we limit to even 2 IPs then our support email is full of angry (and legit long time members) that want to know why they are getting the IP already used error.

We do hundreds of key events every year and we have found that 3-per for most events is the sweet spot.  It is the lowest we can go without getting complaints from people not being able to get keys.  We could probably get away with 2 per on this event since it is only 1250 keys so I will go ahead and set it to that for the next round.

For example on the Wizard101 giveaways we have to set it to 5 per IP to prevent this...largely because a lot of people in one household play together in addition to ISPs putting a lot of users behind the same IP address.

I wish we could see MAC addresses - but sadly that info is not available to the web server.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• FafafiFafafi Member UncommonPosts: 1
    An other giveaway is scheduled later today ?
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Admin said:
    So what is your solution to distribute thousands of keys and guarantee that no one is able to sell their key on ebay?  We limit by IP, we use Google's captcha and we constantly purge suspicious accounts.  The Internet is more or less anonymous, especially to those that know how to manipulate things.  
    These guys are just raging because they didn't get a free key.  I know as a admin you feel duty bound to make them all feel better.  But there's honestly not really anything you could have done to make this "fair" in their eyes.