Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II Review | Journeys Into Subterranean Norrath | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageEverQuest II Review | Journeys Into Subterranean Norrath | MMORPG

The ancient kingdom of Maldura, not heard from since before the Shattering, has made a desperate call for help to those residing aboveground. Their messages, unclear by the time they reached the surface, prompt the heroes of Norrath—those who have achieved level 100—to take action and delve into the unknown.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    12 expac's from a studio with a 10th the budget and size of WoW... how many expac's has WoW released?
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    I am surprised this got an 8. I would not give it any more than 6 max 7.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Cryptor said:
    I am surprised this got an 8. I would not give it any more than 6 max 7.

How many hours have you played this expansion?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Torval said:
    From the article:
    "The removal of the feature [ROIs] from the new content may frustrate at
    times—some of the quest text is nearly useless when it doesn’t even tell
    you which general compass direction to head off in—but it also adds
    back in the joy of exploration and a sense of accomplishment when you
    don’t have the game handholding you through the updates."

No, the removal of ROIs does not add back in the joy of exploration. It is an exercise in frustration. Making exploration interesting adds in the joy of exploration. There isn't anything exciting about exploration in the game since DoV. This is more akin to a point and click adventure game with pointless pixel hunting. Outside of a few forum warriors who like to advertise their hardcore veteran status the removal of this feature just pisses off everyone else.

The best addition to the expac and game has been the return of Domino. I don't think that's enough to compensate for Holly Longdale driving this ship straight into an iceberg.

My problem with this game has always been its quest writing and lack of directions where to go. The map has to be its worse feature. I remember a dev once saying its this way to get you to explore.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    edited December 2015
    nimander99 said:
    12 expac's from a studio with a 10th the budget and size of WoW... how many expac's has WoW released?

All those Xpacs and they still can't provide the Production Quality and Fluid Combat.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    And 1 of WoW's expasnions brings in more players than the studio with 1/10th the budget's 12 expansions combined.
  • Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Hariken said:
    Torval said:

From the article:

"The removal of the feature [ROIs] from the new content may frustrate at

times—some of the quest text is nearly useless when it doesn’t even tell

you which general compass direction to head off in—but it also adds

back in the joy of exploration and a sense of accomplishment when you

don’t have the game handholding you through the updates."

No, the removal of ROIs does not add back in the joy of exploration. It is an exercise in frustration. Making exploration interesting adds in the joy of exploration. There isn't anything exciting about exploration in the game since DoV. This is more akin to a point and click adventure game with pointless pixel hunting. Outside of a few forum warriors who like to advertise their hardcore veteran status the removal of this feature just pisses off everyone else.

The best addition to the expac and game has been the return of Domino. I don't think that's enough to compensate for Holly Longdale driving this ship straight into an iceberg.

My problem with this game has always been its quest writing and lack of directions where to go. The map has to be its worse feature. I remember a dev once saying its this way to get you to explore.

Lack of directions where to go? Really? A quest area will be marked on the map, and you can even get a trace from your character to the exact poi. How can they make it easier for you?

Maybe when you pick up the quest you should be able to auto teleport to your quest target?? Why stop there though? You should also have an option to auto resolve the quest then auto teleport back to quest giver. Or maybe everyone should just start the game maxed out in all areas so no questing or progress is needed.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    LOL! Lack of direction in a game where a glowing trail guides you right where you need to go and has everything marked for you. Sorry if you mean something else but if that doesn't direct you enough, I don't know what will.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    GeezerGamer said:

nimander99 said:

And 1 of WoW's expasnions brings in more players than the studio with 1/10th the budget's 12 expansions combined.

But WoW is highly overrated and if it werent for better marketing EQ2 would compete.
  • ryanmahafferyanmahaffe Member UncommonPosts: 83
    nimander99 said:

It's the amount of content in each expansion and the quality of that content that matters