Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5 MMO Incidents that Showed Solidarity Against the Real World - The List at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

image5 MMO Incidents that Showed Solidarity Against the Real World - The List at MMORPG.com

With the recent terrorist attacks in mind, I send out my condolences to all of those who lost or even have an injured loved one. In real life, we tend to stick together in such tragedies, give each other a pat on the back and help each other out of these tough times. On the other side, in the world of video games, it’s not that different, since it’s the same people in real life who play them.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Kinda missing Gigax's memorial site in Dungeons & Dragons online. That place really took my breath away because of the high fantasy and yet serene scene created there.
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    CCP's "PLEX for Good" should get an honorable mention at least. They have raise a decent amount of money for various causes via that program. For example, http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/plex-for-good-japan-drive-results or http://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/plex-for-good-philippines-results/

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• ZzadistZzadist Member UncommonPosts: 35
    https://www.themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

EVE's memorial to Vile Rat. One of the Bengazi Marines who was killed.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Eve protest against "greed is good"
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited December 2015
    DMKano said:
    Every MMO is a memorial to millions who choose to play games instead of using the time to do something that will make a difference in RL

Oh and I am one of those as I waste a lot of time gaming - here we stand united and do ehm nothing at all ;)

well yes mmo players are the gamers who spend a lot of time in doors so basically they are the biggest nerds.
    but non the less they are also human and they show they understand the RL and its values even though they are mostly inside rather than outside both physically and mentally lol
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Online games can potentially raise lots of money for good causes. They are not a replacement for personal involvement though.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Pala said:
    Eve protest against "greed is good"

Did Eve give its players a free month?
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Missing GW2's Sanctum of Rall. http://www.sanctumofrall.com/about/legend.html

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    MMO gamers are definitely the most nerdy and hardcore out there, as well as some of the nastiest and trolly at times. Yet, many are good people at heart who appreciate the virtual life they have with what many often refer to as a 2nd family. After playing mmo's for almost 17 years I've seen some very low low's from mmo players as well as some amazing high's.

Fortunately, I've seen some great charity events and movements in Eve online over the 6 years I played it, including for Vile Rat as mentioned above. Also I remember in Runescape Classic in the days following 9/11 that there was quite a lot of patriotism and player held events just to talk. Runescape 3 has also had at least one that I know of charity funds through in game transactions when I was playing.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    DMKano said:
    Every MMO is a memorial to millions who choose to play games instead of using the time to do something that will make a difference in RL

Oh and I am one of those as I waste a lot of time gaming - here we stand united and do ehm nothing at all ;)
    Are you not working on a false assumption that people who play mmo dont do good in real life, A lot, (and some games more than others) have players who play MMO to escape realism.
    Vile Rat - Eve -  He was in the embassy in libya when he was killed, he used EvE to escape his real life job and the problems associated.

I was working for the London Fire Service during the london bombings in 2005, and was at work when we had the call, as it happens there were small gatherings on our server in WoW during that time, so yes i attended this 'memorial' so please dont assume "that i stand united and do nothing at all..." 

I can also say i have flewn with many people in EvE who were logged in whilst they were at Camp Bastion for some people MMO / Gaming is their social (or more) for others its escapism for their real life and an hour or two to relax after the pain of work

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Why do people assume that MMO players do nothing but play MMOs. I think that stereotype is wrong for the majority of players. Also this MMO players being nerds is stupid, soldiers, enterpreneurs, prisoners, people with health problems, sportsmen, writers, musicians, I ve met them all in various MMOs.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    When the space shuttle Columbia broke up on re-entry, the game Earth and Beyond set up a memorial to them in-game.
  • umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    These in-game tributes/memorials are better and far more useful than all those useless platitudes/prayers that politicians come up with.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    lmfao , the red Cross has been stealing for years along with any other charity , misuse of funds , bait and switch .... god damn shame ... You are honeslty better off helping someone directly you know than giving money to these corportae gluttinous rip offs , who misuse , bait and switch lie and hide ..behind there charity ..
  • crashburn162crashburn162 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning for sure PVP was great if only everybody was in the same zone, if they have removed the dual zones and pvp area in between the game would have ruled, you could start pvp from lvl1 gain xp and gear from it .The game was good but it lacked content at one point I remember I had no quests I can do at around lvl 34 I think and a month later a patch came that fixed it but to a point.

Fuck With The Best, Die Like The Rest!!!

• tiger61378tiger61378 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    There was a player in Elite: Dangerous who's mother passed, and she was memorialized by having a planet named after her when the Devs found out about it.
  • LogzLogz Member CommonPosts: 1
    Wow this brings back Memories. I remember back when i played Dark Age of Camelot on Galahad and a beloved member passed away and the community decided to honor her memory. R.I.P Teletha (tribute we had is on YT) just search it.
  • Raistlin3786Raistlin3786 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Logz, I remember something similar in DAoC. All three realms showed up for a memorial in the old RvR zone (think it was held on Midgard's side) and afterwards we had friendly duels. It was really nice to see all 3 realms come together for that.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I don't recall the MMO off-hand but a lady in her seventies died in real life and gamers and devs set up a memorial in her honor.  People have also formed life long friendships after meeting in game not to mention dating, getting married and having kids after meeting in game.  

In second life people have quite their day jobs to work for themselves by earning some very good incomes in the game world.

When I read the title the first thing I thought about was how gamers in SWG all logged into one city and crashed the server in protest of some decisions the devs had made.

So yes the game world is virtual but can have direct effects on RL.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

When I read the title the first thing I thought about was how gamers in SWG all logged into one city and crashed the server in protest of some decisions the devs had made.
    That's because for a while now MMORPG.COM has adapted the bad habbit of making click bait titles.

Clearly all these incidents were aimed >Against< the real world...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    DMKano said:

Amen.

RAWR

• henry420henry420 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    EvE Online- For Vile Rat. He logged in and was telling what was happening at the sametime the shooting was going off or atleast that is what i heard ingame. After that tragady we sorrowly miss him and i see alot of player Bio's tribute to missing him.
  • DragonstrongDragonstrong Member UncommonPosts: 3
    edited December 2015
    Please don't forget the efforts of EQ2 players to give some joy to a little boy before he died. Hours and hours of time went in to make this virtual playground for a kid and it still exists in perpetuity. He got to enjoy it before he passed. So you can ask yourself did it have meaning? Of course. Was there anything else that could have been done that was more helpful or meaningful? No, unfortunately. But his mom has this memory of him now, as do all the people who worked on creating it. And that is enough.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/17/the-tattered-notebook-the-touching-story-of-ribbitribbit-and-th/
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628
    #5 is the only one that fits the title