Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play weekend.

BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
So to those that don't think ESO is dying.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/234815/?_ga=1.82940246.1797180622.1444061809

1 million contest for a few of the people playing and now this.

Yep they are hurting big time!
I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Shows what I know.  I thought it was F2P with an optional sub like SWTOR.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Torval said:
    People have been asking for a free trial of the game since forever. They finally make one and the conclusion immediately jumped to is that they are hurting. I guess spinning negative drama is much more exciting than reality.
    This isn't a trial, they say free weekend. But I guess you missed that part.

• GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    Yes ESO is F2P, after you purchase the base or upgraded version of the game; also all DLC's are B2P, thus this free weekend is a free trial period.  A subscription version also exists.
    Brenics said:
    Torval said:
    People have been asking for a free trial of the game since forever. They finally make one and the conclusion immediately jumped to is that they are hurting. I guess spinning negative drama is much more exciting than reality.
    Well, come on now, a free weekend equates to a trial, albeit a very limited trial, but enough to decide if one likes what one sees enough to invest their time and money.
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Just so happens to be around the same time as the next Blade & Soul beta event.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited December 2015
    Free weekends are a great way to try out a game. One thing to notice though, only US citizens and a few selected countries are eligible for the 1mil.. read the fine print and find out if your country is included. Anyways, why not jump on the train for a few days and get a free railroaded rpg experience...
    https://millionreasons.elderscrollsonline.com/rules.html
  • inflogicinflogic Member CommonPosts: 1
    Game is well worth a shot. I was quite surprised its actually THAT good & different in feel from the rest.
    Ive seen my share of MMO's since 10 years.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited December 2015
    Grymmoire said:
    Yes ESO is F2P, after you purchase the base or upgraded version of the game; also all DLC's are B2P, thus this free weekend is a free trial period.  A subscription version also exists.

Well that's not F2P am I right?

It's buy to play (B2P). Is Destiny F2P? Is the Witcher F2P? No those are b2p games. Do you need more explanation? 

Yep after 2 years people get to test drive. Pretty cool imo.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Brenics said:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/234815/?_ga=1.82940246.1797180622.1444061809

And Skyrim must have tanked because they cut the price and then released a legendary edition with the previous xpacs.

Come to think of it Destiny must have tanked as well as they decided they needed to release a combo pack.

Stop thinking of TESO as a subscription game; start thinking of it as a B2P game. Do that and this stuff just becomes marketing. My guess - some months ago - for ESO's bundle was Q3 next year btw - after Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood but before Christmas (and in the US Thanksgiving).

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Grymmoire said:
    Brenics said:
    Torval said:
    Well, come on now, a free weekend equates to a trial, albeit a very limited trial, but enough to decide if one likes what one sees enough to invest their time and money.
    erm eso is B2P (buy to play) meaning you need to buy the game in order to play it. the sub is optional.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Brenics said:

What exactly does linking the official forum post to the story mean? How (in your mind) does this prove anything about ESO one way or another? You are making me feel like I'm taking crazy pills man.
  • MercuryRisinMercuryRisin Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Torval said:
    I highly recommend starting to download the game now. It's a big download and the patching process can be slow.

you are not kidding, been downloading over 3 hours now and I am at 3%, know what? I change my mind, wont finish downloading til Monday when the free play will be up. So no thanks, uninstalling now
  • Joster91Joster91 Member CommonPosts: 5
    I will play this weekend, if it's good I may buy it... wish I didn't have to wait till Thursday 3am.
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Haven't tried ESO since beta. Though I probably won't get much time with it.  Tera's new class comes out today after maintenance. Though if the servers implode like with Reaper and Gunner release it might serve as a decent distraction. 

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I logged in again because of the 1mil reasons event, but I am really enjoying visiting the game again.  I am not a big fan of the classes, the combat still feels clunky, and the damn fog is still keeping me from seeing anything... but I am still enjoying it.  

They have finally finished polishing all the facial animations, and now it may be the best looking elder scrolls game because of it.  Just like in the offline games, I can go up to people and they all have something to say (not all pop up with a dialogue screen, but they all talk).  The voice acting is well done, and they seem to have cleaned up the instances where an NPC had lines of dialogue from two different voice actors.

I am really enjoying having well done quests.  I was playing FFXIV which had loads of good quests in the base game, but the damn Heavensward expac limited the good writing to just the main storyline.  After playing Heavensward for a few months I was ready to actually like my quests again.  ESO quests are not only well written, but also make excellent use of phasing to make the game immersive.  The questing really is enjoyable, even for someone like me that is not a fan of the combat.

I also feel like this is one of the few newer games that lets you make important permanent choices.  It remembers who you killed or saved, and is not afraid to have you make the choice often.  It has racial bonuses that can actually be significant (sorry argonians), and makes me want to plan race/class combos.  To top all that off, you can decide to be a vampire or werewolf, complete with consequences for your decision.  When I play a game like Diablo 3 where I can reroll my items, change my passives around, change my runes around, change everything around at any time... well those decisions end up not meaning much to me.  ESO has choices like that as well of course (tons of swappable skills and you can reset your skillpoints/character points), but there are not a lot of MMOs offering choices with consequences.

A megaserver is the perfect choice for a game like this.  For a game as heavy on solo questing as this is, with so many levels across such a large gameworld, the loss of community seems smaller and the benefit of always having other players nearby seems greater.  I know that if this were a traditional server game some of these areas would be completely empty.

Anyways, I have been enjoying my time back, and I really want to make a breton templar to play through daggerfall covenant before doing cadwell silver.  I thought about making an argonian because they are hilarious... but that 50% swim speed bonus may not be cutting it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    gervaise1 said:
    Brenics said:

And Skyrim must have tanked because they cut the price and then released a legendary edition with the previous xpacs.

Come to think of it Destiny must have tanked as well as they decided they needed to release a combo pack.

Stop thinking of TESO as a subscription game; start thinking of it as a B2P game. Do that and this stuff just becomes marketing. My guess - some months ago - for ESO's bundle was Q3 next year btw - after Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood but before Christmas (and in the US Thanksgiving).

USA celebrates both Thanksgiving and Christmas, Thanksgiving was actually in November, ie. a few weeks ago :p

Bethesda roll out a new Skyrim package almost every year, its probably the biggest money spinner they have, you could almost accuse them of using Skyrim whenever they need a bit extra cash, though Fallout 4 should have made them more than enough already, not sure how that equates to Zenimax in terms of how much of the sales on Bethesda games Zenimax has a take on, i am not sure if its like Activision/Blizzard where the two are effectively seperate entities, they may well be.

As for whether TESO is in trouble or not, i guess it would depend on the sales of the game on Console, i don't think its doing all that well these days on PC at least, unfortunately however;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/archenemy/2015/07/20/the-resounding-whimper-of-the-elder-scrolls-online-release/

TESO is B2P, whether it be on Console or PC, but have to wonder if they are making sufficient revenue from microtransactions to mitigate the costs associated with server running costs etc, which due to the platform restrictions, probably means they have 3 distinct server setups and the associated charges that goes with that, and thats before you get into all the other financial aspects of running an MMO.

Is TESO in trouble though? honestly, it might be.
    edited December 2015
    According to this very site total sales between platforms were over 2.1 million back in July, one month after console release.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/9910/Console-Sales-Are-Good-So-Whats-Next-for-All-Players.html

If you feel ESO is in trouble I think you are overestimating server costs.  Would like to see DLC sales numbers, though.

Edit:  Also note that those sales numbers are just estimates.  When it released it was selling second only to the latest Arkham game in physical sales.  This site agrees, showing ESO dethroning Witcher 3 at the beginning of June and then Arkham releases on the 23rd and takes the top spot:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-bethesda-s-first-no-1-since-may-2014-second-biggest-launch-of-the-year/0151100
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Come on bcbully ... i had to scroll down to see you whiteknighting teso :D you're off your game lately...
    Brenics said:

They sure do seem to be busting a gut trying to draw in new players. Not sure that means the game is dying though.
    They will keep trying to draw in new players and sell us DLC from here on out.  More sales, more advertising.

Well see how it works.  I AM tempted to buy Orsinium...
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Baitness said:
    According to this very site total sales between platforms were over 2.1 million back in July, one month after console release.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/feature/9910/Console-Sales-Are-Good-So-Whats-Next-for-All-Players.html

If you feel ESO is in trouble I think you are overestimating server costs.  Would like to see DLC sales numbers, though.

Edit:  Also note that those sales numbers are just estimates.  When it released it was selling second only to the latest Arkham game in physical sales.  This site agrees, showing ESO dethroning Witcher 3 at the beginning of June and then Arkham releases on the 23rd and takes the top spot:
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-bethesda-s-first-no-1-since-may-2014-second-biggest-launch-of-the-year/0151100
    Those were fairly poor sales figures, i mean Destiny is only half a game and it sold many times that amount, has TESO even reached 1 million sales on Xb1, its so quiet on that front that i doubt it has, that it has yet to sell much over 1 million on PS4 is doubly telling, but i do agree on one thing, its the microtransaction/dlc sales that will probably be the more important aspects for this game in terms of its financial viability, particularly if you take into account average retention rates of around 30%.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Brenics said:

Everything is dying from the moment it is born.

Surprise.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Whenever a game company offers a trial or a discount period people always come up with doom and gloom scenarios. 
    I expect a lot of players that already own the game will get a lot of these codes then buy another copy because of the holiday special. There is a lot of perks from having a second copy and you don't need to get ESO+ for it. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Question:  Do I have to purchase the game to download it still?  If so, how is this weekend 'free'?

I would like to try this game, and have created an account on their forums, but without purchase, I can't seem to access anything.  Trying something doesn't equate to charging me, in my mind.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Torval said:
    Mendel said:
    Question:  Do I have to purchase the game to download it still?  If so, how is this weekend 'free'?

I would like to try this game, and have created an account on their forums, but without purchase, I can't seem to access anything.  Trying something doesn't equate to charging me, in my mind.
    Check the page and thread explaining the promotion for details. You need a key which you get from fansites, MMORPG included. You can play for the weekend. Come Monday the carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

The game is supposed to 60% off during the promotion. Crowns will also be on sale.

Start the download as early as possible to get it patched. The process can sometimes be long.
    It really is a good deal with the game more so the imperial edition! Lot of us will pickup another copy. 

• ImpmonImpmon Member UncommonPosts: 81
    edited December 2015
    The million dollar contest is actually 50,000 / year for 20 years.  Thats roughly $4000 & change per month...   or 1000 per week.... which on average is what most people make in a year.  Not complaining here but I'd much rather have the 1 million lump sum rather then split up over 20 years as annuity payments.  

Especially if they're not guaranteed.  You can win and a year later the annuity firm declares bankruptycy.  Money gone.

That aside the games ok.  Its a single player MMO.  You CAN find people if you really spend alot of time but most of it you'll be soloing content.