Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll Now is the time to choose the best mmorpg right now.

124»

Comments

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    Still playing WoW after all these years, though that's probably a better indication of what's been released in the last decade rather than my personal tastes. Still disturbed by the missed opportunities of TOR and ESO. EVE is a game I should love, on paper, but ultimately puts me to sleep within fifteen minutes of a session, like clock work.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    edited December 2015
    Played them all. Some were better some were worse but I got bored of all of them eventually and left never feeling the urge to come back. Except WoW. Every new expansion invariably pulls me back in for 2-4 months of enjoyable leveling, dungeoning and then raiding. 

ESO? Good stories, pretty graphics. Terrible animations, unrewarding rewards. And now it seems to be slowly heading in the direction of 'lets make this so painfully riddled with RNG/grind, people will buy it off the cash shop'.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    filmoret said:
    filmoret said:
    Those polls always amuse me, because they invariably show one same thing: how far the posters here are from the real MMORPG playerbase.
    Yea diehard fanbois usually just stick to their game's forums only.  Here you have a mixture of people who play more then 1 mmo and are able to determine what a good quality is and not just the only mmo they every played and never quit playing.  If ESO is the only game I ever played then I would swear its the best in the world.  But if I have played over 10 mmorpg's and then claim  ESO is the best it is actually saying something.
    You don't make much sense answering to my post with this "fanboi" crap. "diehard fanbois" who "stick to their game's forums" aren't any more representative of the global MMORPG player base than the people posting here.
    Some MMORPG developers have learned the hard way that to cater to that kind of posters who crusade here on MMORPG.com forums for "old school" and tedious gameplay is a sure recipe for failure.
    So basically you are saying people who visit this forum are ignorant bafoons who don't vote for WOW.  And I was saying you get real votes here without the fanbois because they usually just stick to their own forums without looking at forums like mmorpg.com.   I don't see how that was so confusing.
    Nope. I'm saying that most of the people posting here aren't representative of the vast majority of MMORPG players, most of which actually never post here and don't even know this site exists. I never said they were "bafoons" (I guess you meant "buffoon", right?), I just said their opinions are of a minority.
    And I said this poll represents a seasoned playerbase.  Since the people who usually go outside of their favorite game's forums are people who enjoy playing more then 1 game in their life.  They are able to see the good in other games not just the bad and allow room for people to make educated decisions based upon actually trying to play a game instead of constantly criticize how much it is or isn't like their favorite game.  Honestly if you saw a bunch of people talking about how great pacman was and all other games are just garbage.  These kind of people aren't going to give us any kind of educated choice. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
    And I said this poll represents a seasoned playerbase.  Since the people who usually go outside of their favorite game's forums are people who enjoy playing more then 1 game in their life.  They are able to see the good in other games not just the bad and allow room for people to make educated decisions based upon actually trying to play a game instead of constantly criticize how much it is or isn't like their favorite game.  Honestly if you saw a bunch of people talking about how great pacman was and all other games are just garbage.  These kind of people aren't going to give us any kind of educated choice. 
    You seem to imply that "seasoned players" know better than others what games are good or bad.
    Sorry if I strongly disagree with that.
    Not only many are so deeply stuck in "old school" nostalgia that they wouldn't acknowledge a modern game could be good even if their lives depended on it, but also as for any type of entertainment, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one...
    Actually, your post is funny... because it describes exactly the opposite of what happens here on these forums with those "seasoned players" which I like to name "bitter vets".
    While I agree with your point to an extent, I'd like to point out that I am a self admitted "Bitter Vet" and prefer the nostalgic "good ole days" of MMORPGs. Doesn't mean I can't get out of my own way and acknowledge decent ones now. I rather enjoyed my time in FF14, GW2, SWTOR, To some extent MoP WoW, and currently ESO Although that one isn't all that great. But it's not terrible at least. I played Wildstar in hopes it would be an enjoyable experience. That one was terrible.

Point is, I am very willing to look at any new MORPG and weigh it out for it's own quality. If it's a good game, I'll gladly acknowledge that. Just because people like me have a preference that is currently not being met, doesn't mean we all shut ourselves off to other possibilities.
    filmoret said:
    You seem to imply that "seasoned players" know better than others what games are good or bad.
    Not only many are so deeply stuck in "old school" nostalgia that they wouldn't acknowledge a modern game could be good even if their lives depended on it, but also as for any type of entertainment, opinions are like assholes, everybody has one...
    Actually, your post is funny... because it describes exactly the opposite of what happens here on these forums with those "seasoned players" which I like to name "bitter vets".
    I think the votes prove both our points quite well.  You can see the top games are actually getting a lot of votes and there is also the "other" votes who consist of a lot of those players who cant get over the old days.  Yes I'm sure I missed some of the unpopular favorites but we also see people voicing themselves as nothing is worthy of my vote.  Which we all know is bullcrap.
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    I'm still playing wow with only 1 year off since launch, but I've been having a ton of fun playing ELoA for some crazy reason. So, that's my "other".

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:

You seem to imply that "seasoned players" never played any other MMO after 2004, a bit far fetched

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    ESO.  if I could have voted twice.  ESO and WoW. 
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    edited December 2015
    No idea why you people hate ArcheAge so mutch.

To me it has still best grafix, works like a charm, and it has omfg everything.
    Housing and land ownage, borderless huge world, underwaterworld, endless crafting and questing and PvP'ing, raiding, fighting, fishing, growing, pets, mounts, flowers.
    I even have a skateboard and going towards my car :)
    You can fly Gliders, be a good or a bad charackter.
    It has a huge metagame due to politics, alliances, brotherhoods.
    There is even the church of RNGesus and its followers, so there is even ingame cults.
    Claim a Castle in a mass siege, or lose one.
    Make your guild a powerhouse, a farmers heaven, a RP tea-drinker carebear central - up2u ^^

The only downer is, its not for the weak.
    Nontheless, even a squishy mind can survive in save zones.
    There is risk and lose and win and whine, hate, rage, crying, unity, community, there is the people.

All the games you mention above have totally no freedom or maps full of zoning.
    There is no open world, no real second live.
    In ArcheAge you have more players on the map, then the client can render, whats 150 atm i think.

We have Galleons, Tradeships, Fishingboats and Clippers, full equipable/twinkable, same with our pets, mounts, houses, lands and toons ofc.

You all know, we can creststamp a lot of items in, on and around our houses/lands, giving it endless possibilities to style your character, your house, your ships and whatnot.

Everything in the game can be bought by golds.
    We have the f2p, p2w, subscribtion, griefers and donators, all is here and you can manage to get  everything in the game for free.
    When you are on the sea, you never saw a more beautiful sunraise in any game, else tell me wich.

I think you are all to squishy minded to stand in the archeaic age xD
    Why else would you hate it so mutch ?

Archeage is the best game we have atm.
    It will be the best MMORPG until Star Citizen is going to come together.

peace \m/

rawfox said:
    No idea why you people hate ArcheAge so mutch.

To me it has still best grafix, works like a charm, and it has omfg everything.
    Housing and land ownage, borderless huge world, underwaterworld, endless crafting and questing and PvP'ing, raiding, fighting, fishing, growing, pets, mounts, flowers.
    I even have a skateboard and going towards my car :)
    You can fly Gliders, be a good or a bad charackter.
    It has a huge metagame due to politics, alliances, brotherhoods.
    There is even the church of RNGesus and its followers, so there is even ingame cults.
    Claim a Castle in a mass siege, or lose one.
    Make your guild a powerhouse, a farmers heaven, a RP tea-drinker carebear central - up2u ^^

The only downer is, its not for the weak.
    Nontheless, even a squishy mind can survive in save zones.
    There is risk and lose and win and whine, hate, rage, crying, unity, community, there is the people.

All the games you mention above have totally no freedom or maps full of zoning.
    There is no open world, no real second live.
    In ArcheAge you have more players on the map, then the client can render, whats 150 atm i think.

We have Galleons, Tradeships, Fishingboats and Clippers, full equipable/twinkable, same with our pets, mounts, houses, lands and toons ofc.

You all know, we can creststamp a lot of items in, on and around our houses/lands, giving it endless possibilities to style your character, your house, your ships and whatnot.

Everything in the game can be bought by golds.
    We have the f2p, p2w, subscribtion, griefers and donators, all is here and you can manage to get  everything in the game for free.
    When you are on the sea, you never saw a more beautiful sunraise in any game, else tell me wich.

I think you are all to squishy minded to stand in the archeaic age xD
    Why else would you hate it so mutch ?

Archeage is the best game we have atm.
    It will be the best MMORPG until Star Citizen is going to come together.

peace \m/

Maybe this thread will answer your question.  And please take note that out of 150 votes only 4 people said the game was being managed properly.   No matter how great the game is if the management is horrible then the game is just not worth playing.  Notice 83 people said the game itself is great and I as well say that game is great.  But it was horribly messed up in the worse possible way by its developers.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/441242/what-do-you-think-of-archeage/p1

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The list makes me sad
    It should only make you sad if you were the one to make the list.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240
    FF14. Group content with raids that test skill and coordination. It has a lot of non combat content as well. I would prefer a bit more sandbox then it offers but it is the best MMO on the market atm.
    rodingo said:
    The list makes me sad
    It should only make you sad if you were the one to make the list.
    Wake up time for you two.  Sorry your mad cuz no one likes the game you think is the best.  That's not my fault in any way whatsoever.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I can't pick a best because I am perpetually looking.  WoW was fun again for 1 month.   It looks like I might have to try FFXIV out though since it is the only one I have not played.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    FFXIV , because after 2 years of playing it im still enjoying it , yeah there has been months that i was ...im bored to tears...but outside 3.1 SE has been delivering patches fast
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    edited December 2015
    @Aethaeryn dont bother it is boring and generic. I am pretty much like you and I managed about 5-6 hours until about lvl 8.  Run here click, run there click, the visuals, well either you are into that style or are not, I am not. Overall it took longer to download than how long I actually played it.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited December 2015
    Pala said:
    @Aethaeryn dont bother it is boring and generic. I am pretty much like you and I managed about 5-6 hours until about lvl 8.  Run here click, run there click, the visuals, well either you are into that style or are not, I am not. Overall it took longer to download than how long I actually played it.

Ack. . sounds too familiar :)  Thanks @Pala ;

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited December 2015
    If I hadn't fallen in love with the complexity, immersion, depth, excitement and fear in Ark Survival Evolved I'd have voted for Eve Online  Eve is the only game on the list that stands out, because the others are all inferior in every aspect of their design by comparison.

Since Ark Survival Evolved isn't there I voted "Other".  Sorry Eve!!  I'm not really being unfaithful!!
  • Xorian7Xorian7 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    There's only one MMORPG world on the list, the rest are merely games.  :p
    You are such a fanboy :)

Anyway EvE is my third after WoW Vanilla (I know it is sad)

Well that makes you a fanboy as well.
    We got a lot of votes here but nothing like I was looking for.  315 isn't too bad and GW2, FF14 look like they took a solid lead over the others.   I guess EVE and SWTOR could have been left off and replaced with maybe EQ2 but idk.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Everquest! i spent 86 days 14 hours 12 minutes in the game in one year and a half and im still not even character capped. Only 3000 Alernate advancement levels to go!!
  • eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353
    Vanilla wow is still the best,never liked jrpg so ff14 is out, hate the console controls of eso together with lack of an auction house and gw2 new areas are not my cup of tea. Classic wow on a good server made me enjoy mmos again, people grouping for elite quests, buffing from other other players all the time,open world and decent talent trees
  • weaslelipsweaslelips Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Most of those are pay to win or buy the next content. i choose other becuase i tried them all and all are lacking.
    Most of those are pay to win or buy the next content. i choose other becuase i tried them all and all are lacking.

There is buy to play and pay to play on that list but there is no pay to win.  You have a very wrong understanding of those games if you think any of them are pay to win.