Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about picking up this game.. Which server should I play on?

LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

I understand the ToA servers are a massive grind in the endgame? Does it suck?

How long am I looking at until I'm PvP-Ready?

Do Classic Servers have all the races? Are they the most fun?

How long am I looking at until I am PvP-Ready?

The PvP server looks interesting to me because I would like to understand my enemies chat..

But does it allow cross-realm guilds? That would suck, imo.

Other than that, anything that you can tell me about the PvP System (and how it's better than WoW) would get me really hyped to play it. image

Comments

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

a) depends on your definition of RvR-ready....lvl 1-50, masterlevels, artifacts, Champion levels, gold, SC armor...2-3 months easily, if you dont have a friendly guild that helps you alot

b) again, depends on the definition...but you should be able to have the most important stuff covered within 1-2 months. Classic Servers have all races - the only thing missing is the access to a certain zone (ToA). Also the behaviour of buffs was changed on this server to prevent buffbotting in RvR.

as you seem to be more interested in the PvP you should probably choose a classic server

c) what you are talking about is usually referred to as a home-invasion server (which does not exist). On the PvP Server there are no "realms" per se - its rather guild-vs-guild. You can have, on the same account, chars in midgard, albion and hibernia on a pvp server. Probably not a good choice due to low population and griefing (from which you are protected in PvE on normal servers)

The PvP system is a very large scale realm vs realm combat system with sieges, group/vs/group fights and so called "epic battles" aka zerg. The combat and class-system is much more advanced than in WoW and requires a lot more team work. But it is certainly a lot of fun and very rewarding.

You might want to check out rpgfilms.net for some RvR-videos, to get an idea of how daoc-pvp works.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

The longest time you will spend on any server is leveling - at least if you have a good alliance. It takes around 8 days played to get to level 50. Getting Master Levels done, well for example, this Saturday someone ran ML 1-5. On Sunday the he ML 6-10. So in two days you could have it done. 1-2 times a week there are artifact raids. Most artifacts can be earned solo/grouped now. The only snags that are left are getting some of the scrolls and then leveling the artifacts. Leveling artifacts is a grind. Not as bad as before, but it is still a bore. I've stopped enjoying the senseless killing of mobs over and over again years ago (I am so thankful Catacombs came out so I could level by quests).

Hence, while it does take longer and it some cases a lot longer on the regular servers, it can be done quickly. Also, while you may "need" ML and/or aftifacts, you often do not need to get them to level 10 to be in a position where you can RvR succesfully

Champion levels you can totally skip because while nice additions they have almost no impact on RvR because of how minor the powers are.

The only reason I would recomend playing on the Classic server anymore is if you are a very casual player or having a large low level population is essential for your enjoyment. The low level game on the other servers does not have as many players so it will feel more baren to you. Getting a group might take a little longer. But other than those reasons I do not recomend Classic servers to new players anymore. You just miss out on too much content and larger battles.

• kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

I would put it this way.

If you play a Classic Server you never get to play Trials of Atlantis. And I have found ToA to be pretty fun so far. ::::02::

How are you going to ever know if you like ToA or not if you never try it out? That would be the case if you play on a Classic Server.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• TormentTomTormentTom Member Posts: 37

I am on Gareth and loving it. Highest population at peak hours and it's Classic, so no ToA

• MaxziusMaxzius Member UncommonPosts: 248

When I first came back I went to the classic servers because there are no buffbots there. I have recently changed my mind and am restarting again on another normal server because I missed the ToA content.

Unfortunately, there is no server right now that has ToA content and the ruleset of the classic servers...
    (hint, Kunou ;) )

=====================
    -Just My Thoughts-
    Max

Currently playing: Nothing

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Originally posted by TormentTom

I am on Gareth and loving it. Highest population at peak hours and it's Classic, so no ToA

So True! Sooo True!

If you go Classic, you will not have a problem finding peeps to group with on Gareth.

I started on a toon on the ToA server (Merlin), found it a little difficult until I had a

guild recruit me and found most peeps in the Level 20 areas. But still, not a crowded

as the Gareth Server.

Gareth for the Classic Server is the Best if your New to the game. Once you start to

know the mechanics of the game, try out ToA, leveling doesnt take that long like it used

to from what I hear.

Welcome to DAoC and Goodluck! Hope you like it!

PS. Wait till you try out the Battlegrounds around Level 20 to 24.

When I saw them Siege Weapons in use, it was pretty amazing, especially using them.

Also try the BG's at level 5 thru 9 (aka the Lion Den) thats pretty much fun as well.

You wil learn to love Minstrels, Bards esp in this game. I got spoiled with having mounts

in WoW scenario. Hiking by foot still sucks, but until level 35 where you get your own

mount, I can deal with it. But made them musical peeps my friend to get around faster.

Ok.. Now I am rambling! LOL

Cya!