Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Official Gameplay trailer

WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

that sunglasses....that combat :open_mouth: 

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Looked amazing til they showed the crappy action combat that hasn't worked in any FF game ever. They just had to go full retard didn't they? The complex materia system was half the fun and cannot be properly replicated in action combat. Deep down we all knew they couldn't do the sequel right but didn't think they'd drop the ball this early.....
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    I was excited when I first heard of the remake. Years of asking, since they showed that tech demo of an upgraded FF7 running on PS3 hardware. One look at the combat was enough to turn me off though. Why does S-E always have to take shit too far.  Well I guess I should thank them, for saving me however much the game would have cost.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Not gona buy this on PS4 because of that shitty combat. However if they dare to bring it on PC i will just pirate it- simple as that. Square is officially dead for me.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Actually, I'm OK with the combat. Type-0 was fantastic, and this looks like that. FFVII's combat, despite being nostalgic, is really boring today. They could have reworked turn-based to be more interesting, and I would have been OK with that too.

But I'll take this it looks good. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Actually, I'm OK with the combat. Type-0 was fantastic, and this looks like that. FFVII's combat, despite being nostalgic, is really boring today. They could have reworked turn-based to be more interesting, and I would have been OK with that too.

I don't know man, turn-based combat is a staple of the FF franchise. I don't know why they deviated from it in any of the FF games. Oh well, I'll give it a shot, but I'll do it with a big frown :(
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    gigat said:

I don't know man, turn-based combat is a staple of the FF franchise. I don't know why they deviated from it in any of the FF games. Oh well, I'll give it a shot, but I'll do it with a big frown :(
    yeah but the "last one" for me was FFX (one of the most enjoyable battle systems ) .... FFXII i didnt enjoyed the combat , was fun at the begging but after that u barely decided anything , was all if HP 50% or less use cure...and whatnot...really lame

FFXIII ....boring combat , flashy and what not but....all played like "auto mode" ....

this one looks more like FFXV or KH to me ...

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I'll get it. I don't mind the new combat system as it is an evolution of the old ATB system. It would have been much worse if they had left the old combat system in place with the new experience.

@Torval

I have to agree with some of the illusions of the original version being shattered. Ironically, Barrett sounds just about what I had envisioned in my head during the original game. Cloud sounds nothing like anything I had originally imagined though.

Regardless though, I am looking forward to having a new experience with a beloved game.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited December 2015
    dont forget RED XIII :o ,Vicent, Cid and Cait sith

we heard FFVII characters on FFVII : Advent of children....
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Want
  • zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

Why is it boring today?

I want turn based combat. If it does not have it, I won't play it.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Yeah... I'm iffy on the combat. I don't get why they couldn't' of touched up the turn based combat. Changing the style of the game to such a radical degree just seems silly. Evolving the formula is fine, fully changing it is asking for trouble. Maybe it will be good (I actually don't mind action combat as a whole) but generally I just see it as a wrong move.

Either way if i get a chance I'd probably have some fun playing my 4th favorite Final Fantasy game. It might be greatly over-rated, but its still a good game. 
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

Have to strongly disagree. I don't find turn-based combat boring at all. It's just a different type of combat, and one that I really liked.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Avarix said:

Have to strongly disagree. I don't find turn-based combat boring at all. It's just a different type of combat, and one that I really liked.
    Same. I can play FF7 today no problem. That said, there seem to be some time based elements to the new FF7 combat, so I'll wait and see before fully freaking out or anything. May be some sort of hybrid middle ground they're trying to hit. I wish they would've gone full turn based, but I knew they wouldn't.
  • ElboneElbone Member UncommonPosts: 87
    I like both systems. It only depends how elements of the original game (Summons, support, independant etc materia) work in the action game.
    I really liked this demo but it seems a bit too fast paced for a guy using a gigantic sword I wouldve prefered seeing him put some weight behind his slashes instead of machine-gunning his arms all over the place.
    Other than that...I...can't...wait faaaack, I need to get a time materia from ebay and haste it up IRL.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I never play any Final Fantasy for the combat. Lets be real - the turn based combat wasn't very engaging or fun. While i'm not a fan of action combat as far as MMORPG's go, i enjoy it in single player rpg's. I don't have a problem with this. My biggest problem is remakes in general. 
  • rush1984rush1984 Member UncommonPosts: 371
    i think they should have done both systems, although id prefer 100% turn based but improved on i think a good middle ground would have been to have some special bosses that required you to do turn based fights, im hoping they will add DLC which will give us just that, but knowing square they don't think of these things unfortunately . even if it had just a few turn based fights i would be a lot less disappointed than having none after all it was us fans of ff7 that got this game remade in the first place its back by popular demand and they should have listened to us over the new players that haven't experienced the original i mean they have Final fantasy XV soon did they really need another action combat game so soon? i fear this could be the end of Square if they don't get this right
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    edited December 2015
    The FF series has lost its way. FF:BE and FF:RK are both mobile FF's game that are closer to the original FF's while also being infinitely better then what they've released after FF10. The only thing they are really missing is open fields. Don't even get me started on how much the music has fell off too. I can't even think of a single memorable track from 12 or 13. I want my old SquareSoft back.

FF:BE

FF:RK

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• TatsuyaHirokiTatsuyaHiroki Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited December 2015
    it looks slightly better combat-wise than Crisis Core ever was but still not quite

Im wondering if this game really offers more other than this and some tweaked graphics when FF 7 HD can be already patched to have good looking graphics at first place.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455
    If your sole reason for playing FFVII is the old turn based combat, stick to the unremastered version. If you want a new look at the old story, then get the PS4 remaster. 

I am in it for story nostalgia, not the combat, since there are many other games that have better combat. 
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Sephastus said:
    If your sole reason for playing FFVII is the old turn based combat, stick to the unremastered version. If you want a new look at the old story, then get the PS4 remaster. 

I am in it for story nostalgia, not the combat, since there are many other games that have better combat. 
    I agree. There are options for those who just want a graphics upgrade. I am far more curious to see what they actually did with the game itself. I am also pleased to see that they have evolved the game too. How far they have taken it remains to be seen.