Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classes: potential for players protecting more important classes or running in formations?

arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88
edited December 2015 in Camelot Unchained
This is a thread based on a positive experience with AoC (and WoW). And not having the same experience in the only RvR (I have only played TESO).

The classic roles mage,tank and healer. Are really cool. But as usually ending up playing a rogue/archer I really like filling other roles. And I do not mind another class being more important.

Prelaunch to AoC devs talked about some classes being more important than others. Mages would spellweave (that included healing) and heavy classes would protect them while they did it so they could get their strong spells off. While rogues types would hunt this powerful, but fragiles classes, and archers would slow the movement of advancing enemies by hassling them with traps, slow poison, fear etc.
Also they had a the drawing board a formation "system" where buff classes would give buffs to the characters in formation. Not all of this went into the game exactly as described (the formation was even dropped). But having collition detection you while fighting in small groups would let the heavys fight in the front and there by protecting the others players in the group. And Rangers could fear off a an enemy giving a clothie trouble etc.
As a rogue in WoW in Battlegrounds I also liked fearing and stunning enemies attacking healers (that game do not have collition detection though).

However in TESO i can not remember to have experienced this. But I did experience a lot of zerging and "what hit me?". Both being zerged and zerging. But how can one avoid this in RvR? (while AoC with success capped the participating numbers in siege to 48, to ensure that single players matter). Battlegrounds in faction vs faction and RvR however opens up for different dynamics in the fighting. And I understand that CU will have that.

So while it is early in the class reveal, do you see the potential for classes wanting to fill a protection role, hassling role, and staying in formation in CU?
Post edited by arcundo on

Comments

• arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88
    In the Mage reveal, Mark Jacobs says that Flame Warden will be firing from range (no surprise there), but will not be able to get out of trouble so easily (not exact words). The character is not in the realm I will be playing if I play the game, but it is touching on the things I described in my op post (referring to different roles and maybe even some characters being more important than others). 

Do you see other classes filling the role of protecting the Flame Warden while he is doing dps?

Also it seems that Flame Warden is quite a bit like pyro mage in WoW (most dps), and Wave Weaver more like ice mage in WoW (water instead of ice, but more survivability and little less dps than pyro mage).

I guess Wave Weaver will be in need of less protection than Flame Warden, but maybe Vikings realm gets healers or other classes that needs protection...
  • arcundoarcundo Member UncommonPosts: 88
    edited December 2015
    Since I keep answering my own thread here I am going to take a hint if noone else posts in this thread after this post, and not post anymore in it.

Anyway in the last class trio reveal (Stealthers), it is mentioned that Stealthers are expected to go behind enemy lines and take out important classes. So that at least suggests that there will be classes more important than others and that hints that those classes should be protected.

Anyway it is not that clear (yet) which classes is supposed to protect those classes and what of mechanics they use doing that (cd, root, slow, fear, knock-back etc.).

So still there is a possibility that classes will fill different roles (other than tank,heal,dps)...
    Though it still would be cool if formation mattered as well...