Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft | Legion Survival Hunter Change Guide | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited December 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft | Legion Survival Hunter Change Guide | MMORPG

The first big alpha patch for Legion dropped last night, and I was too busy sleeping to get a look at all the changes coming to classes in World of Warcraft. However, with the help of our friends at WoWHead, we’ve got some thoughts on the most major changes coming to the Hunter. For starters, the Survival spec will forego ranged attacks for a melee spec with a Polearm as their artifact weapon. Let’s dive in and take a look at the changes, shall we?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Will you be able to play as a Gnome hunter before the actual release or do I have to wait ?
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Think you have to wait at least a bit more.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    My guess would be that Gnome Hunters will make an appearance in the "bridging" content before Legion launches.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Keep in mind this is not the final version. I think giving a hunter a turret is stupid, but perhaps this is how gnomes come into the picture and in exchange for hunter skill and abilities, the gnomes share thier knoweledge of turret use? Arcane Shot animation should be interesting if they keep Arcane Shot for survival hunter, I wonder if they will add an animation that shows the hunter tossing the spear and allows us to see an arcanic spear in flight. Survival will need an enhanced movement ability beyond what's available to compete with other high mobility classes.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    This will be funn, my troll is ready for his spear!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352
    BillMurphy said:
    Think you have to wait at least a bit more.

SBFord said:
    My guess would be that Gnome Hunters will make an appearance in the "bridging" content before Legion launches.

Let's hope you are right :)
    I know it is silly but something like that can make me play wow
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    SwampDragons said:
    Will you be able to play as a Gnome hunter before the actual release or do I have to wait ?

I can make one... I'll be streaming it and trying Survival in a little while. Keep your eyes on the streams.cfm page. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    How will a survival hunter regain focus? I haven't played in a long time, but don't hunters use Steady Shot for that? I just don't get the concept behind a survival spec that doesn't focus on survival, and now being melee to boot. They ruined hunters a long time ago. I don't see this as an improvement.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Arkade99 said:
    How will a survival hunter regain focus? I haven't played in a long time, but don't hunters use Steady Shot for that? I just don't get the concept behind a survival spec that doesn't focus on survival, and now being melee to boot. They ruined hunters a long time ago. I don't see this as an improvement.

Since you haven't play in a long time. How do you know hunters are ruined right now or in the upcoming expansion? I find comments like yours very entertaining.
  • papagelospapagelos Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I've been playing since Nov 2004, and It's amazing how many times hunters have been subject to major changes. I can't think of any other MMO that can't decide how they want a class to function and then just leave it be.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I love the changes. Finally , 3 specs that will be WAY different, not just a few changes.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Hunters seem to be getting a lot of love, any other classes getting a respec, or new class/race combos? (undead paladin.. hmmm???)

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• year3215year3215 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Hunters are the top damage survivle is there weakest spec. This is why they have changed survivle to something totally diffrent because the hunter has no use for survivle to begin with no one in the game uses that spec Marksmen is the top damage in the game currently and has been since lich king's release as the main mods all use hunters and death knights these are the main classes that will be changed endlessly as the mods feel a class change is only made when 4 mods or 200+ players agree on said change so as long as 200 or more players say any aspect of wow is bad they will change it this is why even after more then 10 years wow is still around it is a game made for the players and changed by the players

Demon King

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I watched sodapoppin play yesterday and I must say that for the first time, I actually felt a bit nauseous watching him play... Unless they make a miracle expansion, which I definitely doubt, I will probably never play WoW ever again.
  • damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    The turret is going to be overpowered hell in pvp. Turrets will be everywhere.
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    MrMelGibson said:
    Arkade99 said:

Since you haven't play in a long time. How do you know hunters are ruined right now or in the upcoming expansion? I find comments like yours very entertaining.

Maybe because I've kept up to date on the changes they have made to the class, and haven't liked them? I find troll posts like yours very entertaining.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Arkade99 said:
    MrMelGibson said:
    Arkade99 said:

Maybe because I've kept up to date on the changes they have made to the class, and haven't liked them? I find troll posts like yours very entertaining.
    Ya, the class was way better in BC when you could macro your rotation for maximum faceroll. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Arkade99 said:
    MrMelGibson said:
    Arkade99 said:

So reading some posts and maybe a patch note here and there makes you an expert on hunters?  You said it yourself, you haven't played the game in years.  Sorry if I find your insight flawed.  I find arm chair developers like yourself entertaining.  
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I like how this appears to have come full circle. At one point, Survival Hunters were exclusively a PvP-esque spec. And had talents to increase some of your melee moves, and traps. The goal wasn't to win by DPS, but simply by being the biggest pain in the butt to kill. I LOVED Survival Hunter for PvP almost as much as my 2h Enhancement Shaman with ridiculous Windfury crits. They progressively moved hunters away from melee, to the point of entirely in recent years. I would honestly re-sub and buy the expansion if they made survival a melee focus hunter spec hearkening to the old days of Survival spec.

I would like to see them make some changes, which are bound to happen. I feel as if the turret thing is a grab at GW2 players that like Engineer.

I think they will need to alter deterence a bit for Survival Hunters to work though. Like a shorter cooldown, and you can attack while it's up. But doesn't grant an absolute defense to some attacks as it does now. Like making it so you reduce damage by a base percentage after other defenses are factored. And based on how much damage it reduced, you subsequently gain a speed increase. And have it also reduce the amount you're slowed or CCed based on this percentage as well. This would double as both an escape, or an engage mechanic. The person would be forced to utilize CC's to kite you, but not nuke you during it's use. Otherwise, you'll just close on them faster, or simply out-run their damage when escaping. This would then create a meta-game. As the person has to decide if they want to try and burst you dead before you can reach them. Or try to CC you while doing as little damage as possible. So as to wait out your damage reduction and not give you the opportunity to close in on ranged classes as easily. This would need to have a hard cap for it's numbers though, which would be hard to calculate with the ever-expanding gear stats.

Just a thought though.