Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player advice and helpful information.

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Here is a few noobie friendly tips and some information.  This is not an action combat game it is more RTS then anything.  This game is a point and click interface mingled with hotkeys.  You will want to right click things to see your options and the different symbols on the overview window shows different types of objects.  I advise just press f12 then click on career agents then set destination.  The destination will appear in the left with a route and you right click the closest box to the left to warp there.  Once you get a mission just click it in open space and warp there and if there is a jumpgate at the destination take it for the mission.

Ok you can pay your sub with game money and it really doesn't take that long to make it.  As a new player I have made over 200 mil in 7 days.  I need 1.3 bil to pay for a month sub.  Vet players can make that 1.3 bil in one day fairly easy.  The 30 day trial limits you a bit and if you paid for the first month with real cash then the second month is easily paid for with game money.  The trade market isn't universal.  So if you try to buy something in the corner of galaxy they will somemtimes have nothing to offer.  You will have to haul yourself to the station that has the item for sale from other players.

The game itself is laid back and fun since you start in high security zones there is not much threat of player attacking you.  Use the new player channel and learn the interface the game is setup real nice.  You will want to click on the character portrait and click skill queue.  Then drag skills over to the queue and make sure you get all of them to lvl 2 before joining a corporation.  There are some skills that take over 2 real years to learn.  Each character can train only 1 skill at a time.  You will need special licenses to train more then 1 character at a time.  Mess around buy ships use them learn the basics of the game because corporation gameplay is for more advanced players and you will not like it if you aren't prepared. 

I have spent the past week learning how to farm so I can support my pvp.  The world consists of more star systems then you can count and they are controlled by major corporations who are constantly fighting over them.  So for new corporation players you want to learn where the border is and stay deep inside your own territory or you will die. The community on this game is amazing.  The corporations themselves have new player help channels and ship builds they share.  They are very organized and setup intel channels to inform of enemy sightings in each solar system.  They even have different channels in the teamspeak for all the different things you can do ingame. 

I will post more in this thread later to help with new things I learn or forgot to mention.

Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• MMOvisionMMOvision Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Goodluck, pal

O7
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    To all you new folks and im saying folks who have less then 5yrs playing, you are nothing more then entertainment or prey. You've been warned.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I think the interface is the biggest obstacle to new players.  Most quit within the first 20 minutes because they cant figure it out and don't want to try.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2015
    [mod edit]
    Except some of us prefer to read, I never watch videos about EVE.
    Post edited by Amana on

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Elsabolts said:
    To all you new folks and im saying folks who have less then 5yrs playing, you are nothing more then entertainment or prey. You've been warned.
    By someone who doesn't play or really understand how EVE works.

There are better sources of information.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

He's from goonswarm, bascially a bunch of players who cause problems for everyone lol. But they are funny.
    EVE needs villains too..

They fit the bill perfectly.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    edited November 2015
    This might be helpful for some

EVE Flight Academy: 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
    So I don't want to give any spoilers but joining a corporation and listening to the people who knows almost everything about the game is very advisable.  After playing the game for approximately 20 days I am able to make about 200 million money units per day.  The game gives you a sense of accomplishment because if you are stupid then you lose the ship you worked all week saving money to buy.  This game is more akin to a sandbox survival space simulator evolving around corporations and alliances.  The rule of thumb once you join a corporation is everyone outside of the corporation or alliance is your enemy.  If you care to test that then do it in a 10 million ship and not the 350 million one.
    Ok now I'm about 30 days into the game and this wall I'm hitting right now feels really bad.  The problem is training skills takes forever.  So I'd like to do certain things but I have to wait over 30 days to even fly the ships I'm interested in.  I guess having about 4 characters would solve my problems because i'd have 4 different characters training different paths for ships.  But then you are required to pay a sub fee for every character that is training and well that's a little much for my taste sorry.  So basically right now I'm playing another game while waiting for my character's skills to increase so I can fly some ships for pvp.
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    filmoret said:
    So basically right now I'm playing another game while waiting for my character's skills to increase so I can fly some ships for pvp.
    Or you could join a corporation that specializes in training newbies to pvp by actually taking them out to pvp, giving them free skillbooks, free ships, and leading them with experienced mentors I dunno like maybe these guys.

Consider joining Red vs Blue, they will have you PVPing in no time.

One thing to keep in mind, focus on activities and ships your current training allows for else you'll go really crazy when time comes to train for the really advanced stuff.

Also, that feeling this would go a whole lot faster with another account is by design.  I started with one pilot, within a month I had 2, fast forward 8 years and I pay for 6 subs.

Definitely expanded my game play options.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    The Golden Rules of Eve already exist.
  • Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    id like to say good luck as well , 6 yrs plus here , its a game that takes time to build a toon and relationships with people
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2015
    filmoret said:
    Ok now I'm about 30 days into the game and this wall I'm hitting right now feels really bad.  The problem is training skills takes forever.  So I'd like to do certain things but I have to wait over 30 days to even fly the ships I'm interested in.  I guess having about 4 characters would solve my problems because i'd have 4 different characters training different paths for ships.  But then you are required to pay a sub fee for every character that is training and well that's a little much for my taste sorry.  So basically right now I'm playing another game while waiting for my character's skills to increase so I can fly some ships for pvp.
    All you need to PVP is small t2 guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvOB4KXYk-o
    Kyleran said:
    Consider joining Red vs Blue, they will have you PVPing in no time.

One thing to keep in mind, focus on activities and ships your current training allows for else you'll go really crazy when time comes to train for the really advanced stuff.

Also, that feeling this would go a whole lot faster with another account is by design.  I started with one pilot, within a month I had 2, fast forward 8 years and I pay for 6 subs.

Definitely expanded my game play options.
    I think RvB recently announced that they are shutting down

Calfis said:
    Erm....source?
    Gdemami said:
    Calfis said:
    Erm....source?
    It would appear that new leadership is taking over after old leadership announced they no longer had the time to run it. So I guess not shutting down anymore.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Been awhile since I played but you use to be able to use popular third party software to create training schedules based on the skillset you wanted.  They let you know exactly what books you needed to buy and how long the training took to fly your desired ships.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Calfis said:
    It would appear that new leadership is taking over after old leadership announced they no longer had the time to run it. So I guess not shutting down anymore.
    RvB was never about to close...read the link.
    Gdemami said:
    Calfis said:
    RvB was never about to close...read the link.
    Meh I read the previous article where the guy who started RvB very clearly stated that it was ceasing formal operations i.e. closing but its great that they now have people motivated to continue operating.

Calfis said:
    Meh I read the previous article where the guy who started RvB very clearly stated that it was ceasing formal operations i.e. closing but its great that they now have people motivated to continue operating.
    No closing, read the damn text, ffs...