Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wildstar took 9 years to make. Why is everyone so doom and gloom for EQN?

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    A long development time doesn't necessarily mean a good game, or even a game at all.  There's been a few MMOs that were in development for a long time and never made in the end. 

And just look at Wildstar- 9 years and it's terrible.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Is EQN even worth debating at this point in time.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Did we ever learn what they paid for the studio? That might tell a lot. However, I seriously doubt they'd have kept the studio open this long if they weren't looking at a long-term play. If they wanted data, they could have shuttered it and been done, or sold off the assets for some return. It seems like they're going to try to bulid value, and I think that if you're trying to build value from SOE, that starts with Everquest. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    So you finally get a glimpse of a development process for a game. And pretty much, for the sake of the game they are making they are not showing you anything anymore. Why are people convincing others that this will never see light of day basing this on their own opinion? Yesterday EQNext vaporware was uttered by a news site. Is it popular gossip to ruin a game like you guys did here? Seriously tired and sick of this.
    Uh... possibly because Wildstar was made by an entirely new studio made up of old school MMO veterans, whereas EQ Next is being made by people that not only are from the same studio with a long long history of disappointments, but to make matters worse said studio was recently sold off to an unknown investor, where the most public release of activity was letting we in the MMO community know there there was a massive and widespread firing of longtime core personnel that had helped to make any previous studio releases worth a fucking shit to begin with?
    Blah blah blah. Its the game industry, people come and go. DGC has not stopped hiring since they laid off 1/2 their staff. From all rumors they needed to trim the fat. Look around, its common now. No job is secure. They still have lots of talent and have made some AWESOME games. Just because you dont like them means nothing. Their games are still supported by their fans and when I log into EQ1 tonight and play with my friends I will take 1 second to think of your post and how far off it is. Many gamers are returning to these older games that made the industry what it is today. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    So you finally get a glimpse of a development process for a game. And pretty much, for the sake of the game they are making they are not showing you anything anymore. Why are people convincing others that this will never see light of day basing this on their own opinion? Yesterday EQNext vaporware was uttered by a news site. Is it popular gossip to ruin a game like you guys did here? Seriously tired and sick of this.
    Uh... possibly because Wildstar was made by an entirely new studio made up of old school MMO veterans, whereas EQ Next is being made by people that not only are from the same studio with a long long history of disappointments, but to make matters worse said studio was recently sold off to an unknown investor, where the most public release of activity was letting we in the MMO community know there there was a massive and widespread firing of longtime core personnel that had helped to make any previous studio releases worth a fucking shit to begin with?
    Blah blah blah. Its the game industry, people come and go. DGC has not stopped hiring since they laid off 1/2 their staff. From all rumors they needed to trim the fat. Look around, its common now. No job is secure. They still have lots of talent and have made some AWESOME games. Just because you dont like them means nothing. Their games are still supported by their fans and when I log into EQ1 tonight and play with my friends I will take 1 second to think of your post and how far off it is. Many gamers are returning to these older games that made the industry what it is today. 
     I am wondering what awesome games DCG has released since acquiring SOE?  Come to think of it I'm wondering what awesome games SOE made before being acquired that weren't made by Verant or other programmers long since gone.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    azarhal said:
    The real question is......
    What makes you think EQ:N isn't vaporware?
    Faith?
    There are tweets and comments from EQNext devs to know that some of them are still working on it (and Landmark) as recently as mid-November*, after which a lots of them took long vacations around Thanksgiving, something you also learn by stalking their twitters...

*Example: Terry, the lead on EQNext/Landmark, closed some bugs on Landmark public bug-tracker with "fixed internally" on November 18th. That patch haven't even issued yet.

It's not because gaming news aren't talking about a game every month that said game is vaporware. Also, it's pretty clear by now that EQNext was announced ~6 months after they started to work on it to attract a potential buyer for SOE. Then they tried to do open development (and early access with Landmark) and that seems to have backfired so they returned to behind closed door development like 99% of gaming studios do instead.
    ......and have developed what, exactly?
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Nanfoodle said:

From all rumors they needed to trim the fat.. 
    No. This is the "no need to worry folks" rumour.

The first time you have a restructuring - maybe although these days companies are pretty lean. This was the 5th? was it restructuring in 5 or 6 years. Every position will have been assessed and assessed and assessed. Now some positions may no longer have been needed; e.g. CN don't have the same legal responsibilities when it comes to corporate reporting as Sony. That is not fat that is simply no longer required.

The simple answer is money. R&D costs are 100% "red ink" - hopefully it pays off but. Sony cut back and SoE was a casualty.

The comparison with WS though is interesting. WS took 9, or more correctly 2 + 7 years to develop. And in this case 2+7 is greater  than 9 in financial terms. It cost NCSoft 7 years R&D + whatever they paid for Carbine. Total cost: big number. Probably contributed to them launching with a sub game which will have hurt sales. We can only conjecture but it cost to much -we know the revenue.

So what has EQN cost? So far less than one years R&D with a slimmed down team + whatever $X was allowed for EQN in the valuation of SoE. Remember Sony wrote off $60M. So - at this point in time - I think there is hope assuming that CN didn't pick up a huge tab.

Time = money that has to be recovered. Games can (sweeping generalisation) take a long time if they retain a small team (e.g. Darkfall) or have a big team as long as they are fast (e.g. Destiny); a big team that takes a long time = lots of pressure to cash grab, nickel and dime etc. WS fell into the problem category and I reckon EQN was there as well but they have had a fairy godmother rebirth.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited December 2015
    gervaise1 said:

So what has EQN cost? So far less than one years R&D with a slimmed down team + whatever $X was allowed for EQN in the valuation of SoE. Remember Sony wrote off $60M. So - at this point in time - I think there is hope assuming that CN didn't pick up a huge tab.
    ~$30 millions of that $60 millions was probably for Planetside 2 port to PS4 (very end of the interview) which released on June of this year only a few months after SOE became Daybreak (beta started in March, 2 months after SOE changed hand)

Also, write off can be accumulated over years, there is no legal time frame to decide that you won't see your money back from an investment. That $60 millions could be spread over 10 years for all we know.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Saerain said:
    Because SOE (The company that was actually working on the game) was bankrupt.
    Bought for "peanuts" by investment firm thats main business is Oil Rigs and dismantling bankrupt companies ( no previous experience in games or nothing even close ).
    Nope. No available evidence of SOE having been bankrupt that I can find. Not even rumor. Other than that Microaxis algorithm showing that Sony itself is likely to go bankrupt in a few years. Might explain their slew of cost-cutting measures lately, I suppose, but I digress...

Columbus Nova's main business is software. They bought the game development company Harmonix in 2010. All other acquisitions are also software companies. None, as far as I can tell, have been bankrupt and/or dismantled.

Columbus Nova's parent company is a Russian conglomerate that, yes, has a lot of other business in telecom, energy, and nanotechnology. The Japanese conglomerate Daybreak just came from sits in similar sectors. I understand Sony Corporation has also made a significant name in gaming, to understate tremendously, but it seems fair to bear in mind that for the PC and MMOs that name was SOE. Without it, the subsidiary Sony Computer Entertainment is a console company.

As a related side-note, I point out that it's only since being bought by Columbus Nova that Harmonix has been developing non-console-exclusive titles. They're even working in VR now.

The company than went on and fired every leading personnel. Artist, game designer, programmers (basically 90% of the team) and left only second rate and "green" low pay personnel.
    Nope. We only know about five layoffs from the EQN team. A fundraiser, a couple of other upper management, a writer (who had not much left to do), and one programmer. This from the largest team at the company. I think you're confusing it with other teams. EQ and EQ2 were certainly gutted.

There may well have been much more we don't know about, but that is no kind of excuse to just make shit up like "basically 90% of the team".

And discontinued contract with story bricks, technology that was essential for what EQ:N tried to do.
    Nope. Daybreak was not licensing technology from StoryBricks, it was a company doing work in collaboration with Daybreak to create their own AI platform. After some time, it became Daybreak's platform. That's how those relationships work.

Since this happened we didnt see even a slightest piece of evidence of any progress in EQ:N
    Nope. There's been a damned hour-long Twitch stream every week for the last year and a half. Currently on hiatus due to the move to the new studio.

It's understandable that you might find the first few years of game development boring. Most non-game developers do. That's why we usually don't see anything for those years.

Owned
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    So yea, believe what you can.
    That's pretty much all anyone can do without actual proof. However, making up claims and numbers out of thin air, as you did, aren't very useful.

I have little to be positive about when it comes to EQN's future based on past company history and current state or lack of state of things, but it is my subjective opinion, not based on any real evidence.

For all we know, game could be 75% complete and amazing. Doubtful, but without insider info, just talking out our rears.
    edited December 2015
    So you finally get a glimpse of a developement process for a game. And pretty much, for the sake of the game they are making they are not showing you anything anymore. Why are people convincing others that this will never see light of day basing this on their own opinion? Yesterday EQNext vaporware was uttered by a news site. Is it popular gossip to ruin a game like you guys did here? Seriously tired and sick of this.
    If a game is top quality, fun to play, and worth out time/money, no media, streamer, gaming personality is going to blind and convince everyone that it is trash.

I'm sure there are plenty of sheep out there, but if people don't do their due diligence, oh well. Rather not play social games with such individuals.

When EQN is released (I'm not in the vapor crowd), it will speak for itself. If it is worth all the original hype, awesome, if not, too bad, move along.

Not sure how going silent is helping the game, but has done nothing but added fuel to the fire.

Initial negativity was towards the design itself and EQ/EQ2 fans being upset it wasn't EQ3. After that died down and people either accepted it or moved on, the silence kicked in. Bring in the Vaporware Doom Sayers.

If you want to be tired and sick, point it at the cause (hint, not gamers).

People are people and react with their emotions. Obviously some feel the need to get all worked up about it and or waste time raining doom and gloom. Is what it is at this point.

Almost every indie to big studio has switched to the community first approach. SOE was on the right track and could of easily kept the momentum going, even if the tech/progress wasn't all there. Whomever made the call to shut it down is to blame and hopefully is held responsible if it hurts EQN in the end.

One of the strangest things has to be the closure of the already limited official forums and redirect to Reddit which isn't visited by devs.

Pretty bad when a million dollar company can't maintain its own forums, be it an upcoming game or not.
  • iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    The best part of this, and other EQ:N topics is that the game will be developed and released or delayed and canceled completely independent of what anybody has to say here.  The best arguments you can come up with, for or against,  will not have any effect on the envelopment cycle of the game.

Its all just conjecture at this point.  

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    By the time Everquest Never gets built www.pantheon.com  will of pissed right over it and only the free to play peeps will be still there imo. Good riddance to them too. The way they are policing their forums reminds me of days of old like the Berlin wall they have shut up shop and close posts and ban folks for farting these days protected by a bubble so they don't get flak. I doubt Day Break Your Games wont be here in the next few years either.

Asbo

Asbo said:
    By the time Everquest Never gets built www.pantheon.com  will of pissed right over it and only the free to play peeps will be still there imo. Good riddance to them too. The way they are policing their forums reminds me of days of old like the Berlin wall they have shut up shop and close posts and ban folks for farting these days protected by a bubble so they don't get flak. I doubt Day Break Your Games wont be here in the next few years either.

This isn't the first sentiment that I've heard like this. I'm sure Pantheon will be great, but if I had the option between the two, I'd play EQN because I'd be able to play it with my kids without sinking $75 a month into it. I'm sure I'll play Pantheon at some point, but I'm totally a filthy casual and I'm still not convinced that Pantheon is a place where I would see myself getting enjoyment out of my $15 a month. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

Asbo said:
    And the next COD will have pissed right over pantheon and only the 40+ year olds that can't play anything else will still be there....
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Asbo said:
    This isn't the first sentiment that I've heard like this. I'm sure Pantheon will be great, but if I had the option between the two, I'd play EQN because I'd be able to play it with my kids without sinking $75 a month into it. I'm sure I'll play Pantheon at some point, but I'm totally a filthy casual and I'm still not convinced that Pantheon is a place where I would see myself getting enjoyment out of my $15 a month. 
    Unless the broader Pantheon community is friendlier and more welcoming than what you see here I won't touch that with a ten foot pole. They make the rest of the gaming communities on this forum look like saints.

If I want old school I'll go with Project Gorgon.

Ok, phew, I was thinking it was only me for a while. One of the things that made these old school games so great was the community, so I'm not really getting that feeling like I want to jump right in as much as I'd like to jump right in and play LoL again. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    filmoret said:

Despite some people's opinions this studio does own some really nice games.  H1Z1 is nothing to laugh at and Planetside 2 along with DCUO are really solid games.  Not to mention that DCUO is multiplatform.  EQN has too much promise and I think they are just holding it until they are ready to continue development.

I am sorry but i know game design VERY well and yes those games are something to laugh at.NONE of those games have the effort past one year of rushed work in them.H1Z1 even worse,looked to be about 3-4 months of rushed work and that was because Smedley was trying to get it out before the sale to DB.

Someone mentioned an unknown entity behind DB,not to me i did a ton of research and w/o hestitation,the guy imo is a complete nut case.
    First of all i doubt the guy has ever played a video game in his life and likely knows nothing abot uthem,his business people likely do all that work for him.He as going around and likely still is buying up every Russian War artifact he could find and was even sued by i think was the Sweden government for corruption behind the sales and purchases using government money.

Anyone with half a wit ,knows you don't take over the Russian oil market from the government unless there was some serious corruption there.I wouldn't doubt there is a whole different agenda behind the purchase of SOE that has nothing to do with gaming,maybe more like money laundering.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    filmoret said:

Despite some people's opinions this studio does own some really nice games.  H1Z1 is nothing to laugh at and Planetside 2 along with DCUO are really solid games.  Not to mention that DCUO is multiplatform.  EQN has too much promise and I think they are just holding it until they are ready to continue development.

I am sorry but i know game design VERY well and yes those games are something to laugh at.NONE of those games have the effort past one year of rushed work in them.H1Z1 even worse,looked to be about 3-4 months of rushed work and that was because Smedley was trying to get it out before the sale to DB.

Someone mentioned an unknown entity behind DB,not to me i did a ton of research and w/o hestitation,the guy imo is a complete nut case.
    First of all i doubt the guy has ever played a video game in his life and likely knows nothing abot uthem,his business people likely do all that work for him.He as going around and likely still is buying up every Russian War artifact he could find and was even sued by i think was the Sweden government for corruption behind the sales and purchases using government money.

Anyone with half a wit ,knows you don't take over the Russian oil market from the government unless there was some serious corruption there.I wouldn't doubt there is a whole different agenda behind the purchase of SOE that has nothing to do with gaming,maybe more like money laundering.

Wasn't it CN? I figured it was because of their other tech companies. I figured it would be a lot about the data since they have a few big data companies. Maybe an integration with existing properties. I wasn't aware there was a lone backer behind it. Any idea what the sale price was?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Saerain said:
    Because SOE (The company that was actually working on the game) was bankrupt.
    Bought for "peanuts" by investment firm thats main business is Oil Rigs and dismantling bankrupt companies ( no previous experience in games or nothing even close ).
    Nope. No available evidence of SOE having been bankrupt that I can find. Not even rumor. Other than that Microaxis algorithm showing that Sony itself is likely to go bankrupt in a few years. Might explain their slew of cost-cutting measures lately, I suppose, but I digress...

Columbus Nova's main business is software. They bought the game development company Harmonix in 2010. All other acquisitions are also software companies. None, as far as I can tell, have been bankrupt and/or dismantled.

Columbus Nova's parent company is a Russian conglomerate that, yes, has a lot of other business in telecom, energy, and nanotechnology. The Japanese conglomerate Daybreak just came from sits in similar sectors. I understand Sony Corporation has also made a significant name in gaming, to understate tremendously, but it seems fair to bear in mind that for the PC and MMOs that name was SOE. Without it, the subsidiary Sony Computer Entertainment is a console company.

As a related side-note, I point out that it's only since being bought by Columbus Nova that Harmonix has been developing non-console-exclusive titles. They're even working in VR now.

The company than went on and fired every leading personnel. Artist, game designer, programmers (basically 90% of the team) and left only second rate and "green" low pay personnel.
    Nope. We only know about five layoffs from the EQN team. A fundraiser, a couple of other upper management, a writer (who had not much left to do), and one programmer. This from the largest team at the company. I think you're confusing it with other teams. EQ and EQ2 were certainly gutted.

There may well have been much more we don't know about, but that is no kind of excuse to just make shit up like "basically 90% of the team".

And discontinued contract with story bricks, technology that was essential for what EQ:N tried to do.
    Nope. Daybreak was not licensing technology from StoryBricks, it was a company doing work in collaboration with Daybreak to create their own AI platform. After some time, it became Daybreak's platform. That's how those relationships work.

Since this happened we didnt see even a slightest piece of evidence of any progress in EQ:N
    Nope. There's been a damned hour-long Twitch stream every week for the last year and a half. Currently on hiatus due to the move to the new studio.

It's understandable that you might find the first few years of game development boring. Most non-game developers do. That's why we usually don't see anything for those years.

Owned
    LOL

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    CrazKanuk said:
    Asbo said:

Not to mention we don't even know if Pantheon is actually going to release.  For all we know they might close up shop next year or release an mmo in a few years that doesn't live up to all the fans expectations (nothing new here).  I wish people would stop trying to convince people to switch over to an mmo that doesn't exist yet lol.
  • SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited December 2015
    Allein said:
    So you finally get a glimpse of a developement process for a game. And pretty much, for the sake of the game they are making they are not showing you anything anymore. Why are people convincing others that this will never see light of day basing this on their own opinion? Yesterday EQNext vaporware was uttered by a news site. Is it popular gossip to ruin a game like you guys did here? Seriously tired and sick of this.
    If a game is top quality, fun to play, and worth out time/money, no media, streamer, gaming personality is going to blind and convince everyone that it is trash.

I'm sure there are plenty of sheep out there, but if people don't do their due diligence, oh well. Rather not play social games with such individuals.

When EQN is released (I'm not in the vapor crowd), it will speak for itself. If it is worth all the original hype, awesome, if not, too bad, move along.

If people hate the company. They will compare it to every game out there. Despite the fanbase. Im not worried about what people say about my game. I will just play it. But i know this is the future. True multi-classing has split the timeline. It broke the medium of WoW and mmorpg fanatics should note that in this little game called EverquestNext...

50% of our jobs are in the service industry. So american's are obsessed with customer service. In open developement we have to be catered to. Them going silent doesn't mean the game won't release. I'm convinced it is a Marketing strategy by SOE/Daybreak. They want to entice you enough just so you don't get bored watching the same gameplay videos over and over. I mean, if im wrong, EQNext is already in playable form why haven't they released gameplay videos when they know they could? Why does Landmark have combat if its a still a supposed concept?? They have the game im convinced and they are continually making it but not before our eyes.

All the negativity for this is because, the silent majority, choose to remain silent then you have this influx of trolls who just have to talk and they repeat themselves until it spreads around. Not sure if there's a pyschological study about this stuff but it happens quite often when there is no control of conversation and people just talk anyway they want about the topic. EQN and vaporware should not be in a headline of a popular podcast of a popular website (massivelyOP). It is the community's fault for helping this game lower its launch. 

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

That's such a sad statistic, someone spent 9 years developing a game that really just copied what was happening 9 years ago with Pixar character models and telegraphing combat.

Can you imagine if they had spent 9 years developing something innovative for MMO's?  It would have been spectacular because they are clearly a very talented bunch of programmers.

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325
    goboygo said:

That's such a sad statistic, someone spent 9 years developing a game that really just copied what was happening 9 years ago with Pixar character models and telegraphing combat.

Can you imagine if they had spent 9 years developing something innovative for MMO's?  It would have been spectacular because they are clearly a very talented bunch of programmers.

All it needs is a good idea. Talented programmers will code the game. But concept by people who made the original massive multiplayer online rpg can turn the tide in this market. Escp one that lacks any future as the mmorpg does.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wildstar was a great example OP....Development time only correlates to the size of the team and experience. What other titles did WS dev team have under their belt?
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Smedley (SOE) was involved. Smedley = MMO Doom, The Destroyer of Games.

SOE went out of business, taken over.

Majority of SOE staff working on EQN fired.

Updates about the game went from 100% to 10% to no news.

So yeah, this is a recipe for succes.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"