Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school communities weren't all that great.

Comments

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    You are right, they were certainly not the perfect picture everybody likes to paint these days. In Ultima online the PK griefing was extreme. People around banks, which were UO's hubs were very insulting and rude to each other. It certainly was the elephant in the room for those who just wanted to have a good friendly time. There were sites that listed the exploits of Uo and many went about abusing those exploits. Some which let players rob content of player houses. So you couldn't really use your house for storage until the lock down system was put in place.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    When people put rose tinted glasses on they see everything as sunshine and rainbows. In the old days of UO there were many guilds who would lure players in with pretty words, invite them in guild, then take them out of safe zone in the name of helping them increase their skill, kill them and loot them. It is quite easy to forget bad things from "good o'l days".
    well thats not the bad things. what you are describing was one of the better features UO had. real backstabbing.
    HUH!!! That sure is one fun way to look at it..hehe
    I'm currently playing age of wulin only because of their murderer system and features. (Im a PvE farmer type of mmo player), but I need the thrill of danger that OwPvP brings to the monotone grind that is farming mats.

One of my favorite memories from UO, was getting scammed when buying a house, dude sold me a key to his house, then locked me out and switched keys, stealing all my stuff i freely put into his house, because i did not know how house transfer really worked and just accepted a random house key.

You might want to call me a masochist, but I live by the rule, no risk, no reward. So if im grinding mats in a PvE enviroment i will never get the mental satisfaction of doing it in a hostile environment. 

Yo!

/oscar aka The No Sect Farmer, Qigami.

All humans are masochists, there is no denying it, the shit we have to go through just to live our lives...

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    When people put rose tinted glasses on they see everything as sunshine and rainbows. In the old days of UO there were many guilds who would lure players in with pretty words, invite them in guild, then take them out of safe zone in the name of helping them increase their skill, kill them and loot them. It is quite easy to forget bad things from "good o'l days".
    well thats not the bad things. what you are describing was one of the better features UO had. real backstabbing.
    I'm currently playing age of wulin only because of their murderer system and features. (Im a PvE farmer type of mmo player), but I need the thrill of danger that OwPvP brings to the monotone grind that is farming mats.

One of my favorite memories from UO, was getting scammed when buying a house, dude sold me a key to his house, then locked me out and switched keys, stealing all my stuff i freely put into his house, because i did not know how house transfer really worked and just accepted a random house key.

You might want to call me a masochist, but I live by the rule, no risk, no reward. So if im grinding mats in a PvE enviroment i will never get the mental satisfaction of doing it in a hostile environment. 

Yo!

All humans are masochists, there is no denying it, the shit we have to go through just to live our lives...
    Perhaps, but I get the impression that people of this nature are shunned by most of society today.

The best place for things like this to happen is in game IMO.  In a game no one is really hurt.  It's the perfect place for deviant behavior to occur and it also makes the game a lot more interesting. 

I was never one who liked to grief others, but I found a lot of amusement in the diversity of personalities and watching things unfold.

When everyone behaves the same way it is extremely boring and that is the way things are moving today in both gaming and outside of gaming.  It may be a good thing outside of gaming, but inside I don't appreciate the rules and restrictions being placed on everyone.
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Flyte27 said:

Yo!

Perhaps, but I get the impression that people of this nature are shunned by most of society today.

The best place for things like this to happen is in game IMO.  In a game no one is really hurt.  It's the perfect place for deviant behavior to occur and it also makes the game a lot more interesting. 

I was never one who liked to grief others, but I found a lot of amusement in the diversity of personalities and watching things unfold.

When everyone behaves the same way it is extremely boring and that is the way things are moving today in both gaming and outside of gaming.  It may be a good thing outside of gaming, but inside I don't appreciate the rules and restrictions being placed on everyone.
    I'd rather not play a game where people backstab me on every turn, have to deal with that kind of crap everyday. That is why i said that all humans are masochists..

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

Flyte27 said:

Yo!

I'd rather not play a game where people backstab me on every turn, have to deal with that kind of crap everyday. That is why i said that all humans are masochists..
    I don't find life to be that way, but I guess it is in some places.  For me it's fairly plain in real life so I like to see something more colorful.  Especially knowing that it's fake and not really hurting anyone.

In real life I try to be respectful of others as I know anything done can have a huge impact on their overall lives.

In game I like to see things that really shouldn't or can't happen in real life.  Things you can't do in real life.  Yes killing is abound in games, but I find that rather boring actually.  It's the little nuances of culture that is interesting to me.

On another note you could say games are a fun place to take out your anger at real life because it's completely fake.  You can backstab or be backstabbed and it doesn't really matter.  It's a good place to vent.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

angus858 said:
    10 to 15 years ago, mmorpg communities were much nicer.  Global chat was often both interesting and helpful.  Idiots existed but always seemed to be a small minority.  The big difference, in my opinion, is not the evolution in game design so much as the evolution of payment methods.  In the "good old days" almost everyone playing had a credit card and was willing to invest $15 a month.  FTP has changed all that.

nah .. i remember trains, killing stealing, loot ninjaing, camp drama ... playing solo is a lot nicer. 

angus858 said:
    10 to 15 years ago, mmorpg communities were much nicer.  Global chat was often both interesting and helpful.  Idiots existed but always seemed to be a small minority.  The big difference, in my opinion, is not the evolution in game design so much as the evolution of payment methods.  In the "good old days" almost everyone playing had a credit card and was willing to invest $15 a month.  FTP has changed all that.

nah .. i remember trains, killing stealing, loot ninjaing, camp drama ... playing solo is a lot nicer. 
    It's a lot more entertaining IMO.

What is entertaining about following a quest line around or queuing up for a dungeon where you don't really make any decisions?

Besides you don't really have to group with anyone.  Even in the old games.  You just were encouraged to do so.  You could avoid most people if you really wanted too.

One of my favorite things in old games playing with friends was doing sneaky things to them in game.  They would return in like fashion.  It was a good time.  No one got hurt.  In Diablo we used to try and grab all the loot off the ground.  If someone died the other would try and grab their loot lol.  It added some excitement to the game.  It also got your blood pumping in games like EQ having spent a lot of time camping for something only to have someone intercede in some way. 

I really don't see how people are entertained by the current content.  There really isn't much entertaining going on.  Just a lot of people going through the motions the developers setup for them to go through.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

angus858 said:

Come play EVE, its got all of those classic things and so many more.

Truly a gamers paradise.

Heck, you can do many of them solo.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Yes, but I actually remember when my group was betrayed in eve and we all lost our ships because of it. I remember being spawn camped in WoW by world pvpers and how I was helped by someone and we became friends. I remember fighting for the tag on a world boss only to have the other raid engage us when we had the tag and for us to engage them when they did so no one could kill it for a long time.

The bad makes the good stand out more. Removing all possibility of the bad diminishes how much the good feels in comparison. This works the same in real life where a goal is set but is failed to be met several times and then when it succeeds it is celebration worthy.

I don't get that celebratory feeling from most MMOs on the market anymore.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited December 2015

angus858 said:

These type of actions were not often and people who made a habit of it got to be known server wide and were often banned from end game content from the community. So that type of person was not seen end game. Today, people pay 20 bucks and change their name and keep being an ass and the community has no recourse. Top that with all the new ways people scam today, I will take old school communities any day. My guess you were never there to judge or your just another type of poster. 
    Nanfoodle said:

angus858 said:

These type of actions were not often and people who made a habit of it got to be known server wide and were often banned from end game content from the community. So that type of person was not seen end game. Today, people pay 20 bucks and change their name and keep being an ass and the community has no recourse. Top that with all the new ways people scam today, I will take old school communities any day. My guess you were never there to judge or your just another type of poster. 
    Today .. training, loot ninjaing caps are all designed out of the game .... and become impossible to do. I like it better.

And I don't remember a single person being banned for training or camp drama. Yes, you can exclude him or her from your group, but you can't stop him from training you, or ninjaing your loot.
    Nanfoodle said:

angus858 said:

Today .. training, loot ninjaing caps are all designed out of the game .... and become impossible to do. I like it better.

And I don't remember a single person being banned for training or camp drama. Yes, you can exclude him or her from your group, but you can't stop him from training you, or ninjaing your loot.
    You Were playing on the wrong servers or the wrong game

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:

angus858 said:

Oh, i certainly were playing the wrong game. Now i won't be playing any game that allows training, or ninja-looting, or camping.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2015

angus858 said:

Yeah this happened, And those that did it weren't around long.  If you got a reputation for being a douche bag you were done.

I also remember when someone's name got announced in chat for doing crap like that and the whole community online responded. Even guild masters would get involved and try to make amends for the bad behavior of their ( in some cases.....former) member(s).

Let's tell the WHOLE story there while we are at it. People cared about their reputation. Solo-centric games have no need of such things so go ahead, Douche-bag it away, no one cares.
    edited December 2015
    Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:

angus858 said:

Oh, i certainly were playing the wrong game. Now i won't be playing any game that allows training, or ninja-looting, or camping.
    Thats OK, some people enjoy paintball, others prefer to play bocce....neither are wrong.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

angus858 said:

Yeah this happened, And those that did it weren't around long.  If you got a reputation for being a douche bag you were done.

I also remember when someone's name got announced in chat for doing crap like that and the whole community online responded. Even guild masters would get involved and try to make amends for the bad behavior of their ( in some cases.....former) member(s).

Let's tell the WHOLE story there while we are at it. People cared about their reputation. Solo-centric games have no need of such things so go ahead, Douche-bag it away, no one cares.
    You cannot possibly expect him to even know the WHOLE story when he only plays these games for 15 minutes or so at a time and as SPGs at that, and then after a week it's "hey look, here's another new shiny game. Epic!!!" 

You're giving credit where zero is due. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Black listing didn't work. Very very few people  paid any attention to that.  Almost no one knew about websites where characters were posted and fewer went to them.  People  that were considered jerks still got groups and epics proving  that rep actually did not  matter to the general population only to you and your circle. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I know it sounds like a broken record but i think we can safely say community was different pre Wow Era.

I played through both and even before mmorpg's became popular,so i saw all the various community types.

Without question the most volatile is fps's,rpg's are more of a mixed bag.The difference being that in fps's you could just up and leave or find a server or group of players you like.However in a mmorpg you'll have to run into those same players everyday every year.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Black listing didn't work. Very very few people  paid any attention to that.  Almost no one knew about websites where characters were posted and fewer went to them.  People  that were considered jerks still got groups and epics proving  that rep actually did not  matter to the general population only to you and your circle. 
    Maybe it depends on the game.

In Lineage 2 there were clans/individuals who were considered "bad". In most cases people would try to hunt them down.

I know on the Hindemith server, for quite a while, if the server got fed up with a clan that had a castle, it would actually rise up against that clan and kick them out.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nanfoodle said:

angus858 said:

Thats OK, some people enjoy paintball, others prefer to play bocce....neither are wrong.
    And some people prefer video games... the safest of them all. Strangely, they still try to act like they're tough.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited December 2015
    Sovrath said:

In Lineage 2 there were clans/individuals who were considered "bad". In most cases people would try to hunt them down.

I know on the Hindemith server, for quite a while, if the server got fed up with a clan that had a castle, it would actually rise up against that clan and kick them out.

Venge below (still can't quote properly on my phone)
    Possibly true.  I can only comment personally on EQ for that.  
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Sovrath said:

I was about to post, but you beat me to it.

Back in the earlier days of Anarchy Online. Everyone knew everyone. You just knew who your community was.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Wizardry said:
    There were only a handful of games with community and i can only really speak for FFXI.Great community and the reason it was better was  because of it's design.Nobody was complaining about community but instead the only criticism i heard was controller and grouping issues.
    Really? Because complaining about the horrid community certainly already happened in games that predated FFXI, EQ, UO.

Perhaps you weren't frequenting message boards much at the time? Because the majority of player vs player character assassination (the real, deep nastiness) always takes place offline on message boards, and is then carried over OOC into the game.

I'd be baffled if someone could successfully Blacklist anyone, ever, without access to a message board.

And that's also where the majority of the "zomg, these kids are so terribad, they're just wrecking everything" whining, in any (every?) title occurs. That's just a function of Group A (the guys who elected themselves the true original veterans) confronting Group B (any/every player who came along later).

In the olden dayze of yore, we did a lot of our character assassination in AIM chatrooms...
    Ya, because what you did with 20 other people in AIM chatroom represents the rest of a gaming community.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    For all the 'old days were better' talk, when UO gave people a choice, roughly 70% left for the calmer servers.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Kiyoris said:
    I don't think they were all that great. Maybe it's because I visited the pantheon forums and saw so many nastyness, that I'm reminded that old school communities used to have just as many jerks as games do now.

I completely forgot we had just as many bad apples as MMO now, if not more.

I forgot there were elitists, I forgot there were jerks, I forget there were people who trained, I forgot you had PK killers. I forgot we had killstealers. I forgot we had hackers.  I forgot we had gankers.

I forgot there were people's who's only goal in the game, was to make your life a living hell.

And because death cost you XP, it allowed them to drive people far enough until they quit the game. It was easy for them to destroy other people's fun. That's part of the reason people were also upset at heavy death penalties, someone putting you in a death loop on purpose, would completely ruin your fun.

You only remember the good things of old MMO, not the bad.
    Actually back in UO and EQ days they where. But that was mainly due to the fact that computer games where not as widely played like they are today. usually adults where the ones on them now days parents use them as babysitters.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!