Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally bought it on steam my first 4 days

PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
First evening (Friday) was hell, restarted 3 times, couldnt figure out controls and so on, went to bed as it was already 1am when I got the game. So next day I thought ok I have to sort out key bindings, did a bit of keyboard and mouse to figure out what I would need but ended up searching on google and found xbox controller key bindings. Took me about 2-3 hours to get the controls setup.  Then I started doing a few courier missions, docking was painful, crashed into the suns, stars, docks, run out of fuel 3 times while being to lazy to check my route, landed but facing the wrong way, crashed into other players accidentally shot the station and got a fine, followed by bounty when I didnt pay, restarted again but slowly got the hang of my sidewinder and what its about. That was Saturday

Sunday, courier missions and exploring were bringing money in got the grasp of what to do and managed to save enough money to buy an Adder (that was exciting). Monday, have some ranking so courier missions are becoming more profitable and easier to find, figured out my own trading route which is not very good but its a start. I am about 290k short for a Cobra MK3. 

Now I am thinking whether to buy an Eagle and start getting into bounty hunting and fighting or to fly a long way to a mining location, and equip my adder for some mining, or carry on and save up for a cobra and then try to do some of this.

I've been interdicted about 5-6 times, a few times it was an NPC and in my Sidewinder I ended up telling the NPC to kill me already so I can move on 

All in all, fantastic, but after teh first 3 hours I did for a second think did I make a mistake, do I have time and will to slow down and learn this. On my second day, I made coffee, sat down with pen and paper and went ok, lets figure this out.

So far my experience, hard but it keeps drawing me back. More than all the MMOs I played recently and I cant really explain why.

PS. I am docking super fast now in my adder, easy once you know how, dont want to waste a slot for a docking computer, only problem is seeing where to dock on some platforms and figuring out where the entrance is on others but as there are a limited number of station types I have now learned most of them. 

You do learn to play the game its not pick up and play design. 

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Yea looking at this game is definitely the next step in space simulators for mmo's.  The main problem is the design which could work but with over 400 billion star systems.   Heck if everyone on Earth was playing this game spread out how will they interact with each other?  IDK if they figured this part out like the way EVE did which they have almost as many star systems as players but the design keeps players close together.  IF the design is done properly it will be a true jewel to the genre and revolutionize space simulators.  Eve too many things are automated and this game looks like too many things are manual.  I'll get it one day for sure though.

from a former eve player the basic rundown.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    This is a very different game to Eve. Eve didnt really frel like space to me while this does and while this is more solo the space feels more alive. I think this is probably because you are piloting your ship and the way stations are handled. 

But yes it doesnt feel like classical mmo, you impact space around you but through factions trade and so on and while you could do it with directly with other players it doesnt seem like it will happen that eay right now.

If you want space this is the best you will find imo. If you want space mmo than eve is better. 

But things may change it seems like a solid foundation to work on
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Think they tried to solve the player quadrant issue with Powerplay but not sure if it's working well or not.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To me space will always feel like space,a boring zone of emptiness.It doesn't have to be but nobody is going to do the genre justice.

In eve it can feel worse because of the auto pilot,it's like your barely playing the game at all.

These space games need a heck of a lot more going for them than just space.However creating a real world type game needs a lot bigger budget and manpower,that is why these small time devs aim for easier projects ,like empty space games,apocalypse worlds,moba's,Diablo clones ,any type of game where they can handle the budget.

Space game needs multiple worlds,landing on those worlds and interacting within them.Several races/cultures with various technology differences.Then you need a construction system to possibly build space stations or fuel stations or create a biosphere/Biodome in space etc etc.Then you need housing,where do these citizens actually live,in their cockpit?

So yeah it takes a lot of work to make a triple A Space game that i would want to play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Well you are asking for a fully simulated experience of space no game ever of any budge has or will do that in our lifetime.

Space has to be big and empty to feel like space thats why stations and your ship, especially the ship, feel like a home in alk that wastness

It shouldnt be fantasy mmo but in space
    Anyway to you it seems things on land seem more important than space, star wars would probably work better for you. I actually enjoy the feeling of me in my ship lost among the stars. Dont care who lives where, who is doing what and how things are constructed. It would be great to have it all in one game but i can find those experiences in other games who do one of those things better.
  • The_WickedThe_Wicked Member UncommonPosts: 22
    It's a good time! Yeah the controls take getting used to but once you get the hang of it, it's easy. I've played 100+ hours now haven't really touched combat. I love my hauler upgraded and even painted her black. Sucks when i get attacked/robbed though, i'm like come on frame shift drive charge you bitch and all you can do is just pray you get away haha. Welcome to Elite Dangerous! 
    edited December 2015
    Ty, its great how you get attached to your ship :) There are many like it but this one is mine... ;) Never had that with Eve,  bad more than 50 ships all over the universe, places i could no longer get to and so on. In Eve you are using your ships like a manger, what do i need for which job but you dont live with them. Oits really a different game.

As i always say, nothing worthwile in life is ever easy. Its the human condition, if its easy you are guaranteed to get bored and feel unengaged.
    Does this game require materials to be hauled around or will they just magically appear at the buyer's location?  That one feature is what makes Eve great instead of just normal. 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Yep, you'll need to haul the items around which opens you up to NPC or PC pirating etc. In 1.5 they have NPC traders moving goods that a station exports so you could base your pirating endeavours around particulary profitable areas etc.

@Pala
    Definitely advise trying everything. Module reselling has no cost attached only selling ship hulls incur a cost.
  • Max-BakerMax-Baker Member UncommonPosts: 3
    @rpmcmurphy ; yeah you're right
    Sobif i buy another ship i can use modules from my other ship?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    You won't be able to drag and drop or such but you can sell them and they'll be available to buy back to fit on your new hull. However, if a station doesn't normally stock an item and you log off after selling it then it won't be available when you log back in.
    Storage and ship QOL is in the works apparently.
    You won't be able to drag and drop or such but you can sell them and they'll be available to buy back to fit on your new hull. However, if a station doesn't normally stock an item and you log off after selling it then it won't be available when you log back in.
    Storage and ship QOL is in the works apparently.
    Yea they gonna have to deal with this properly in order to keep players interacting with each other.  Otherwise you could just goto the corner of the universe and be alone making millions which is quite silly if you ask me.  NPC's hauling station goods is bad too.  IDK the 100% player run economy in EVE just compliments space sim so much I don't see many other's working very well.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2015
    Pala said:
    Sobif i buy another ship i can use modules from my other ship?
    Not really.

Also if you do trading for the time being you should do some rare trading for good quick cash. You should be able to max out your ship quick this way especially once you got your cobra. Easiest ways I made cash was rare trading and doing CG especially if you can get into top 10% or 5 %. Combat use to be okay cash too at RES spots but that was kind of nerfed as its harder to get good spawn worth decent creds going.

For rares:

You might also want to avoid places like USZAA because the station is so far away (4,350Ls) so it takes too long to get there.

You can only have so many T, for example I max of leesti evil juice is like 13T you cant have more than that at once. You have to sell what you got so more spawns and it respawn every 10 mins if I recal right. When it spawns it rare respawns all of it at once btw.
    Post edited by Asm0deus on

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666
    I got the game in the current sale. I also saw a T-Flight HOTAS X discounted on Amazon so got that as well.

So far (having had little practice) I'm really, really bad at piloting. It's almost funny how bad. But that's to be expected and I like the fact you've got to learn a new skill. Using the stick it's obvious that once you do get used to it, you'll be able to fly around brilliantly.

It's probably a niche game, but it seems to do what it sets out to very well.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2015
    Athisar said:
    I got the game in the current sale. I also saw a T-Flight HOTAS X discounted on Amazon so got that as well.

So far (having had little practice) I'm really, really bad at piloting. It's almost funny how bad. But that's to be expected and I like the fact you've got to learn a new skill. Using the stick it's obvious that once you do get used to it, you'll be able to fly around brilliantly.

It's probably a niche game, but it seems to do what it sets out to very well.
    Yeah but you get the hang of it pretty quick especially when using a stick which I find makes flight so much easier than using kb/mouse. Thing is to get the keybindings down/memorized, I used a sheet/diagram of the stick to keep next to my desk till I new what each button did by heart.  You could use something like this. I use a t16000m so my binds are a little different.

Oh yeah forgot to mention in my previous post that when selling rares their prices go up the farther away you sell them from their purchased station. Note the $ symbol at Zaonce and Witchhaul. You start at Witchhaul (doing black line route) collect rares at each station and then sell them at Zaonce and start collecting again at zaonce and sell at witchhaul.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I got it gifted to me, and so far I've been really confused but having a lot of fun. I logged and did the tutorials but straight after them I went to play the actual game. It threw me in and I had no idea what to do so I stumbled around for a bit. After that I started having way more fun, but still have no idea what is going on. Probably gonna have to start watching videos to figure the game out more.
  • Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I was actually going to buy this game along with a new PC and stick. I've always loved sapce games and sims. But due to some financial setback I'm having to postpone my new gaming PC for a year  :(

I almost picked it up anyways, but I didn't think my gaming laptop 765m gpu wouldn't handle it well so I didn't. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• AlyssaImagineAlyssaImagine Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I bought it and only did the docking tutorial. :P So far, I'm doing okay. I did get a fine for loitering once, and ran out of fuel and got blown up a second time. Found a couple of unexplored things...but that also happened to be when I ran out of fuel, so probably doesn't count now. haha.
    Sign up for Ashes of Creation: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/HanaSyde/