Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we know officially that this will be a MMORPG and not a MORPG like DayZ Mod?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Do we know officially that this will be a MMORPG and not a MORPG like DayZ Mod?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    i can say 100% for certain it will not be anything like a static DAY Z or H1Z1 mod.Those games have absolutely nothing going for them aside form a map and players kill each other,nothing else.

Geesh i was watching some streamers playing DAYZ and all they did was run for their favorite hiding spot and just sit there,minute after hour,just sit there hoping someone would walk into their target area.Even H1Z1 it is only the gas that forces the action and even then i have watched players not engage in any contact but simply hid in the bushes hoping to make it to top 2.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Daikuru said:
    looks very Single player/CORPG like. but could be wrong. I need to see gameplay before I jump on board. Because lately a lot of CORPG been marketed as MMORPGs.

• Deffcon_1Deffcon_1 Member UncommonPosts: 164
    edited November 2015
    They plan on having 100k characters(NPC/PC/OPC) per server. Which, I feel, puts its solidly in the MMO category of MMORPG.
  • MaygusMaygus Member UncommonPosts: 374
    We'll see more video footage soon.... with a playable demo around time of kickstarter and/or pax east.

We'll also get access to some standalone tools pre-demo.
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Daikuru said:
    looks very Single player/CORPG like. but could be wrong. I need to see gameplay before I jump on board. Because lately a lot of CORPG been marketed as MMORPGs.

Lol are you making that assumption from that screenshot?
    Just because there is no one else around the character doesn't mean that would be the same on release.
    It is in a pre-pre-alpha state at the moment, what do you expect?

ste2000 said:

what do you expect?

Extensive let's play series with 700 hours of footage minimum...
    Visit the Chronicles of Elyria official site and the Official Wiki... an upcoming MMO from Soulbound Studios with real consequences to your actions.
    Finite Resources, WYSIWYG looting to player created and maintained maps and a deep modular crafting system. So much more that hasn't been said, ask questions! Post your thoughts! Spread the word of COE!

If you haven't yet, register with my referrer code on the official website: B0E240
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    ste2000 said:
    Daikuru said:

Just because there is no one else around the character doesn't mean that would be the same on release.
    What else as a consumer am I to make assumptions off of then?

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    ste2000 said:
    Daikuru said:

You could try actually reading about the game. If they showed you a picture with no players, would you assume that no one can ever play it? Use a little common sense.
  • carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    ste2000 said:
    Daikuru said:

Stop making assumptions, you will have less in life disappointments.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Arkade99 said:
    ste2000 said:

You could try actually reading about the game. If they showed you a picture with no players, would you assume that no one can ever play it? Use a little common sense.
    Yeah pretty much this.
    Honestly OP what were you thinking?

httpwwwkotzendes-einhorndeblogwp-contentuploads201203facepalm-picardjpg

• irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Wizardry said:
    i can say 100% for certain it will not be anything like a static DAY Z or H1Z1 mod.Those games have absolutely nothing going for them aside form a map and players kill each other,nothing else.

Geesh i was watching some streamers playing DAYZ and all they did was run for their favorite hiding spot and just sit there,minute after hour,just sit there hoping someone would walk into their target area.Even H1Z1 it is only the gas that forces the action and even then i have watched players not engage in any contact but simply hid in the bushes hoping to make it to top 2.

ok so ive played dayz since before it was famous, and since then ive been doing things like fishing, crafting, going on missions with team mates, building bases, raiding other peoples bases, hunting for live game such as rabbits with snares, avoiding getting infected..... because the AI in dayz are infected not zombies, I once saved a guy from commiting suicide... i shared my food with him and he lived on we are now good friends.

Lets see what else have I done on dayz, oh yea thats right you can also kill people.... doh

Dayz is not about killing people, its about surviving. Its got a bad reputation since it got a bit popular and now most people seem to think its just a FFA Death match.....no thanks to h1z1 and other shity clones.
    My point is, you have a very narrow perspective and probably a very small imagination or you just have never played dayz long enough to realize there is more to it than just killing people.

You also seem to think dayz will come to nothing, well I would like to remind you of the very small fact that it was on steam top sale for over a year, close to two years, the game is coming out of alpha soon and bug fixing beta comes.
    Im not really one who posts on forums except when I want to inject a little esoteric wisdom on folk, mark my words you are wrong about every thing you said.

You watched some streams and now you understand the game?  you should know those streamers play different than normal when streaming....Those dayz streamers hunt for action.

On dayz its called Coastal Banditry, in which you just find any guns you can and go kill people on the coast where all the action is at, which is the very thing thats ruining the game and clearly having a negative affect on people who dont play but have watched.

Im not trying to post hijack, its just that you have 9000 posts and not a single piece of constuctive criticism towards what the OP was asking other than saying dayz is static? which I think I just proved you wrong with the description of my usual playtime on dayz.

Clearly post count stands for nothing these days, when you have people posting utter dribble adding nothing to the topic other than....well utter dribble.

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    lol OP... egg on face?
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554
    Arkade99 said:
    Big part of the problem.

The Dev Journals read like "wouldn't it be cool" articles than any kind of informative articles.  When we question these articles we get labeled 'trolls'.  Look at the latest Dev Journal,  Only two things are definitive.  Children depends on number of bedrooms(mostly), local building materials last longer.  Other than that, everything else mentioned is purely ephemeral.

Other things that harken to that side of game.
    No Chat.
    No name signs
    No mail system

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Arkade99 said:
    Big part of the problem.

The Dev Journals read like "wouldn't it be cool" articles than any kind of informative articles.  When we question these articles we get labeled 'trolls'.  Look at the latest Dev Journal,  Only two things are definitive.  Children depends on number of bedrooms(mostly), local building materials last longer.  Other than that, everything else mentioned is purely ephemeral.

No Chat.
    No name signs
    No mail system

The game as described by the developers would be impossible for an AAA studio with a near limitless budget to make.  There is zero chance a small team with limited funding will come close to what they promise.  That said, I don't think this is another Greed Monger.  These developers do seem passionate about the genre and I do believe they will deliver a product at some point.  It will just be an incredibly stripped down version of what they've described thus far.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    @Timberhick Unfortunately often the "questions" that are raised are more about different preferences rather than whether the planned design is good or not. In fact any discussion of a planned design without a prototype is pretty much hot air. So it comes down to someone either liking or not liking a feature.

People like you are called trolls because you are not simply stating that you dislike a feature but you are generally negative. The major naysayers like you don't say x, y, z is really good but a or b is a concern, this could be a way to solve it. It is just straight up negativity and doom and gloom. It is clear people like you are not here to discuss a game but to moan and let out frustration.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    @Timberhick Unfortunately often the "questions" that are raised are more about different preferences rather than whether the planned design is good or not. In fact any discussion of a planned design without a prototype is pretty much hot air. So it comes down to someone either liking or not liking a feature.

People like you are called trolls because you are not simply stating that you dislike a feature but you are generally negative. The major naysayers like you don't say x, y, z is really good but a or b is a concern, this could be a way to solve it. It is just straight up negativity and doom and gloom. It is clear people like you are not here to discuss a game but to moan and let out frustration.
    Questioning the practicality of what these devs are attempting is hardly trolling.  I might be missing the context of your argument, but I fail to see how you can claim "Timberhick" is trolling in this thread.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Jonnyp2 said:
    The game as described by the developers would be impossible for an AAA studio with a near limitless budget to make.  There is zero chance a small team with limited funding will come close to what they promise.  That said, I don't think this is another Greed Monger.  These developers do seem passionate about the genre and I do believe they will deliver a product at some point.  It will just be an incredibly stripped down version of what they've described thus far.
    Challenge accepted!
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
  • TimberhickTimberhick Member UncommonPosts: 554

If our questions and concerns were to be actually answered instead of attacked for "negativity and doom and gloom" we could perhaps, you know, get to a discussion, but the problem is Billy, you're not here to discuss the game either, you're here to "defend" against the "trolls".
    This question was simply answered though. To keep being negative proves you have no interest in actual information. The images released our of a test environment. Of course they arent populated with other players and characters. Its simply to test features as they program them. To look at a test image and some how make the assumption that this image somehow means its not an MMO is idiotic. So, whats the discussion going to be about? How the OP is basically questioning whether or not the developers are telling the truth about it being an MMO? If thats the case, then there is no discussion to be had. The devs say MMO, we have no reason to believe otherwise. So, whats the discussion?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Daikuru said:

A picture does tell a thousand words.What it tells me is you can expect 2d backdrop like a LOT of games are doing.I guess it is expected from any smallish /budget team because it takes a lto of work to make a lot of assets and to make them with 3d buildings.

Now of course this is only one picture,i can't judge the entire design based on this one area but it does tell me there is likely a lot of 2d backdrops.There  is also the chance that a lot of these buildings do have insides but are instanced'.

None the less it looks better than most games i see of late.

Even still any educated person will realize this "LOOKS" good on paper,we do need to see a LOT more before giving it any fair rating.At least for me anyhow,it is a good start on paper,99% of the games i see ,i wouldn't give them but a minute of my time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

That picture is all 3D. All the buildings are rendered. Not sure why you think its full of 2d backdrops.
    Have a look at this.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/6763886/#Comment_6763886
    You'll see the various elements of that very scene rendered in different modes.

The dev's have also stated that there will not be instancing for housing, so every building is enter able, unless a player designs it in such a way you cannot enter a building, then it's likely just a block of wood or stone etc.

edited December 2015

No Chat.
    No name signs
    No mail system

There will be chat both an in-game and out-of game mechanic. You can whisper family members on the same continent without restriction.

There will be player friends and account friends system as well.

There will be name signs, but you need to know the person first, you won't just walk up to someone and know their name at the outset. This is good because over-time if you are in a town / city for a while and you see a new character walking around without a nameplate, you know as a player and a character that they are someone you haven't seen before, or someone in hiding... (IE: hood up)
    This is similar to my local area I live in. I know people by sight, some by name. But not everyone obviously. As I chat with them more their name sticks in my mind more and while there's no nameplate, I'll see someone and my brain goes "oh that's billy". But if I don't know someone and see them pacing the street looking at houses, I'd be wary of that unknown person.

There will not be a universal instant-mail system (or even NPC controlled mail system that I'm aware of) so that service, if you wish to post a sword to someone elsewhere, will be controlled via players. However I would hope that there is a NPC controlled mail-system to some degree, but how that will work considering players can strike out into the wilds and establish their own new village/town/city I am sure could be coded... but otherwise unknown mechanic. Akin to EVE, you either go get the shit yourself, or contract someone to pick it up for you! Break the contract and there's penalties.

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound StudiosMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Buildings definitely aren't 2D backdrops. I assume you saw the recent design journal with screenshots of interiors? Also, see this post which shows a screenshot of a recent video I shared with the community that showed someone running around town and entering a building.

Plenty of people in the community frequent MMORPG.com. I'm sure they'll be happy to admit to having seen the video.
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com