Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion Online - No WASD movement equals no dice

124»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited November 2015
    Agree with the OP 100%.  It's 2015.

Games like Diablo 3 get away with it because of nostalgia.
  • VandarixVandarix Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Lol the game doesn't need WASD. I actually can't even imagine how difficult it would be to play this game with WASD keys after using the mouse for so long. If it had WASD keys any mouse user would dominate anyone who opted to use them just because of how seamlessly the mouse play is. Don't like it, don't play it.
  • stonyleinstonylein Member UncommonPosts: 88
    StarI said:
    With the massively popular and widely played games like LoL and Diablo it's pretty clear that not having wasd hardly makes a dent in the popularity of your game, and that there are other much more important factors that will be more deciding.
    this. but of course there will be some wow-players who are confused at this game. can't wait until one of them realizes what full loot means :D
  • l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    If not having WSAD controls keeps all of the crybabies out of the game then I'm all for keeping WSAD out of this game.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Nanfoodle said:

Originally posted by Battlerock
    Originally posted by Pepeq 
    Originally posted by booniedog96
    Give developers a chance to think outside the box,  no WASD does not make a terrible game.  Albion is not your typical MMO, it's going to be on multiple platforms: PC, browser and mobile.  You don't even need $2500 worth of hardware to run it.  With enough bandwidth you can play this on the subway while on the go.  I'm not trying to defend Albion as a game, I'm trying to defend the devs that are creating it.  Too many games that had roots to something outside the norm has been squashed by purists of the familiar.  One game that comes to mind which suffered from this mob mentality is FireFall.  For many of us that played FireFall Alpha and Beta before 1.0 and enjoyed it for what it was then, you know what I'm talking about.  Let them make their game, if it becomes a hit then great, if not then it becomes a niche.  Either way, it could be what the industry needs for something fresh.

It's a mobile game at heart... with all the limitations that go along with it.

I think there would be a lot of interest from players who primarily use pc or may be pc only for a game like this. However, it would benefit from having wasd movement not the pc platform. I actually believe it would do very well.

And how do you balance tablet gamers without Keyboards in PvP and circle strafing?

So, you impose limits those who do to be fair to those who don't?
    My answer to your question is "Not my problem" If I am having my options removed so that others can feel balance, not only is it not my problem, it's also not my game.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2015
    Funny how fanboys support gameplay restrictions by calling everyone else a crybaby. Limiting a game to one simple control scheme is lazy. Back when Diablo 1 and 2 were popular, technology was more restricted even though Diablo 1 was on Playstation and played flawlessly with a gamepad (even without analog sticks) In 2015 any game where you control a single character in real time should never be limited to point and click only.

ARPGs control like twin stick games. WASD to move, and mouse to aim. Just like twin sticks. Cant stress this enough, point and click as the only option is lazy. Period. Leave that limitation to RTS where only a mouse is needed.

EDIT: these fanboys remind me of the Marvel Heroes forum fanboys that rather see MH die instead of porting to consoles and be more successful.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I"m pretty sure if cared all that much about those who won't play due to mouse based movement, I'd design a game with WASD in mind...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited November 2015
    Funny how fanboys support gameplay restrictions by calling everyone else a crybaby. Limiting a game to one simple control scheme is lazy. Back when Diablo 1 and 2 were popular, technology was more restricted even though Diablo 1 was on Playstation and played flawlessly with a gamepad (even without analog sticks) In 2015 any game where you control a single character in real time should never be limited to point and click only.

ARPGs control like twin stick games. WASD to move, and mouse to aim. Just like twin sticks. Cant stress this enough, point and click as the only option is lazy. Period. Leave that limitation to RTS where only a mouse is needed.

EDIT: these fanboys remind me of the Marvel Heroes forum fanboys that rather see MH die instead of porting to consoles and be more successful.
    SO wait.... DEVs don't cater to a crowd, so we insult their work ethic? really? LOL

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Basically by not having WASD this game is doomed. Wonder why no hype, wonder why no one cares.... it's because no wasd.

I used to be in this mindset.  but once you get used to it.  click to move is ok.  better actually.
    edited November 2015
    Distopia said:

SO wait.... DEVs don't cater to a crowd, so we insult their work ethic? really? LOL
    last time i checked, they have never said "we dont care about WASD or gamepad controls". If they say that then sure, its their decision to only cater to a limited crowd which is not bad per se, but they are just following Diablo's archaic control schemes for the sake of "feeling classic". In this day and age, control limitations like this are not "classic" things, they are just poor design choices. Its my opinion and i know for sure i will be skipping this game for that reason alone, which is too bad because i like everything else they have shown.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    I don't have problem with click to move.
    edited November 2015
    last time i checked, they have never said "we dont care about WASD or gamepad controls". If they say that then sure, its their decision to only cater to a limited crowd which is not bad per se, but they are just following Diablo's archaic control schemes for the sake of "feeling classic". In this day and age, control limitations like this are not "classic" things, they are just poor design choices.
    Says who? Plenty of Point & Click games have been popular that just recently released. Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity, Xcom, and a number of others. Not a poor design decision at all IMO. Sounds like sour grapes rather than a fair assessment of their choice.

edited November 2015
    Distopia said:

Says who? Plenty of Point & Click games have been popular that just recently released. Divinity OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars of eternity, Xcom, and a number of others. Not a poor design decision at all IMO. Sounds like sour grapes rather than a fair assessment of their choice.
    Divinity OS enhanced edition added gamepad support on PC and Im pretty sure it was for the same reason that not everyone likes/wants to be limited to clicking to move. Wasteland 2 got a console port, which means these type of games play well enough with other types of controls other than point and click. Xcom (if you mean enemy unknown) is playable on PC with a gamepad too. I dont know about the other game.

So yeah... im not saying point and click is bad. It is just one option and a big crowd restriction for games that are well known to play very well with other forms of control. It should be just that, another option, not the only one.

EDIT: Marvel Heroes is adding gamepad support too, go figure. The demand for other control types IS there. Isometric and ARPG games play exceptionally well with other controls other than point and click.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    l2avism said:
    If not having WSAD controls keeps all of the crybabies out of the game then I'm all for keeping WSAD out of this game.

If not having WSAD(sic) controls keeps all the bozos in this game (instead of in mine), then I'm all for keeping WSAD out of this game.

;)

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I really don't see the WSAD control scheme would have anything to do with gaming. I am thinking people are talking about free camera here, which kinda, ugh, contradicting what a isometric game is?

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    I really don't see the WSAD control scheme would have anything to do with gaming. I am thinking people are talking about free camera here, which kinda, ugh, contradicting what a isometric game is?
     Some people don't understand what Isometric games are.  Nor do they look into context and see what other platforms a particular game is for.  Additionally, they typically just limit themselves to one game and way of playing.  Both point and click and WASD have been around for decades at this point.  We should not be seeing people saying "it's 2015" when defending their preference of WASD.

Preferences are okay, but creating threads like this is kind've ignorant in my opinion.  There are plenty of other games sporting the WASD movement scheme.  This game, from the start, was clearly trying emulate Ultima Online in its own way.  We can get into Old School gamers versus the New Generation another day, but this is moreso peoples' intolerance at work here.

Play a game, enjoy a game how it's meant to be enjoyed and then quit when it's your time to try something else or you simply don't enjoy it.  Then say to yourself "it would be better with this, even though I now know it was never meant for it by the way the game was made or how the developers envisioned it (or what it was inspired from).

Options are pretty great for games that don't involve PvP.  Though having different options in a PvP game oft makes one better than the other.  Whether it's by design or simply how things are.  This is why PC players typically aren't matched with consoles, since the amount of headshots precision instruments can get is fairly insane in the hands of the right player.  The controllers have to have auto-aim naturally programmed into it to the point where you don't even realize it anymore and think you're good.  There was a big deal going on when people managed to hack consoles to be able to use mouse and keyboard on games like Call of Duty and the like as well.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • lonewolf1980lonewolf1980 Member UncommonPosts: 89
    albion was never designed with pc or console in mind. Albion was make just for mobiles ( android, tablet/ipad ) so get over yourself pc players . The game screen is very clean and simple, only a few clickable buttons and everything are clickable. i had played been able to play game with 1 hand by the mouse.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    they said its point and click only? thats too bad. I dont think that will necessarily doom the game in general, but it is certainly doomed for me without WASD. I wonder why some companies keep assuming that isometric games can only be played with a mouse. They play perfectly fine with wasd. Id love it if they start offering both options in 2015.

It is a Top down, isometric view game.  WASD movement makes zero practical sense for this type of game.  Play something like Diablo, Path of Exile or Torchlight and you'll understand.

And this is coming from someone who is a MMO purist in most things.  Having a Point & Click movement system in a 3rd person perspective e makes no sense, just as WASD in Iso makes none. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Watched some streams of it yesterday.  I think it looks quite good.

Absence of WASD is not a big deal for me.
  • mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    if the game is meant to be playable on a tablet or phone, then that's it.  Totally dumbed down and the top-down view will lose any role play feeling as you can't see what off in each direction so you will just be playing a grindy version of Diablo 3.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Psychos1s said:

You can't have WASD controls in a isometric view game it would be a shambles hence the reason you don't see it in any of the games i mentioned.

I could see controller use being viable but not WASD.

And yes if you look at the gameplay of AO the controls are very similair to MOBA games

While I don't really agree with the "you have to have WASD" crowd" (games have and still are being played with click to move) I don't see how you can say a controller is viable but not WASD?

Controller has up, left, right and down and that's exactly what WASD does.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo