Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every MMO should have a fast track server

2»

Comments

• JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    I'd rather a game be enjoyable. FFXIV and ESO (pre vet ranks) and SWTOR never felt grindy to me. Wildstar could benefit from a fast-track server. Games without a immersive story-based questing system such as TERA, Aion, Wildstar, Lineage II etc, could use a fast track server. I know Aion has one, but it isn't very fast.

So long as the endgame is where it's at and is where the game shines, I think this is a good idea. Don't mix the servers though, if people fast track, don't let them transfer onto normal servers... that's like cheating.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Daikuru said:
    I agree, for me max level is where the real fun starts, where i can do all the cool things, leveling ist just an obstacle, its more like a overlong tutorial...sure, some people love leveling but some not...good idea to split them imho.
    Yes .. hence .. WOW allows instanced level 90. May be more games should do that for the audience who wants the end-game and not the leveling. 
    Wow put instant lol 90 in the game 10 years later.  It's there for new players not having people to play with and not having to level your 20th alt.  I have never seen a new or semi new game with something like that.  And doubt we will 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Alders said:
    Every MMO should have pre built characters that are all heroes, where no leveling is required. Players can just log in and select their favorite hero whenever they like. They can then go fight each other over and over for nothing more than a rank and maybe some skins.

It'll be super popular and slowly start taking over forums of those old and tired mmorpg fans that don't have time for the nuisances associated with rpg's anyways since they're all older now with kids and jobs. It'll be glorious. 

Yep, they are called MOBAs.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    randomt said:
    Seems like we've lost the very reason for an mmo.. What the OP wants is an FPS style game, he doesn't want the RPG part
    To be fair RPG is not only vague in its definition, it is also extremely watered down when compared to its roots.

Just like that other acronym that people love to use on this site.

Anyways in attempt to be on topic, I really dig what Maplestory is doing with their "Reboot" server. I never though that I'd see a day where Maplestory wasn't pay to win.
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    edited November 2015
    Alders said:
    Every MMO should have pre built characters that are all heroes, where no leveling is required.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    ste2000 said:
    Alders said:
    Every MMO should have pre built characters that are all heroes, where no leveling is required. Players can just log in and select their favorite hero whenever they like. They can then go fight each other over and over for nothing more than a rank and maybe some skins.

It'll be super popular and slowly start taking over forums of those old and tired mmorpg fans that don't have time for the nuisances associated with rpg's anyways since they're all older now with kids and jobs. It'll be glorious. 

Yep, they are called MOBAs.
    My sarcasm was missed.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    mohit9206 said:
    I am playing WildStar and i feel the leveling is too slow. Maybe its not but it certainly feels that way because of generic boring questing system. So i feel every mmo should have a fast track server with double or triple xp bonus so those who want to reach max level as soon as possible can do so without months of questing especially for mmo's focused on end game content. 
    Since most people these days want to reach max level as soon as possible, there should be a fast track server and once player reaches max level, they can transfer their character to normal server for free. 
    Because no mmo publisher/developer wants to make fun quests, they might as well give an option to greatly cut down the tedium of leveling.Do you think this is a good idea? 

i think you need to find a different genre.  #stopruiningours
    observer said:
    Some MMOs now separate major story-quests from side-quests.. and i wish more would do this.   Side-quests are the boring ones, but the major story-quests are quite good.  Quest-hubs are a bane to MMOs, and the quicker they die out, the better.

why/how are quest hubs the "bane to mmo's"? 
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

randomt said:
    Seems like we've lost the very reason for an mmo.. What the OP wants is an FPS style game, he doesn't want the RPG part
    MMO don't need the RPG part. We are talking about MMOs, not MMORPGs.

Daikuru said:
    I agree, for me max level is where the real fun starts, where i can do all the cool things, leveling ist just an obstacle, its more like a overlong tutorial...sure, some people love leveling but some not...good idea to split them imho.
    Yes .. hence .. WOW allows instanced level 90. May be more games should do that for the audience who wants the end-game and not the leveling. 

WoW offers that because the game is so big and very few of their players are new.   
    muffins89 said:
    Daikuru said:

WoW offers that because the game is so big and very few of their players are new.   
    and it can also be used by new players who want to bypass the leveling, can it not?
    muffins89 said:
    Daikuru said:

and it can also be used by new players who want to bypass the leveling, can it not?

yeah.  but there are no new players (or very few) they offer that service because they know that their players have been around for a while.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,106
    mohit9206 said:
    I am playing WildStar and i feel the leveling is too slow. Maybe its not but it certainly feels that way because of generic boring questing system. So i feel every mmo should have a fast track server with double or triple xp bonus so those who want to reach max level as soon as possible can do so without months of questing especially for mmo's focused on end game content. 
    Since most people these days want to reach max level as soon as possible, there should be a fast track server and once player reaches max level, they can transfer their character to normal server for free. 
    Because no mmo publisher/developer wants to make fun quests, they might as well give an option to greatly cut down the tedium of leveling.Do you think this is a good idea? 

Terrible idea for most MMO's. Maybe if there was one designed around it. Otherwise you will end up with one barren server, and another that is really populated. If the game is all about end game anyways, then why make a slow progression server? If the game is about the journey, then you are just making the content go by quicker. If the game is a combination of both, then people will just go on the fast server to become OP and get a head start on those who didn't. Thus, those who took the longer route would be left gimped when they reached end game and they wouldn't be happy. Which means basically, the slow server would be left dead so others could compete.

All in all.... bad idea in my opinion. I can't think of this working anywhere.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Second day in any MMO today,  and you'll see people with max level.  Without fast track. How fast do you want to reach max level? 2 hours? 5 mins? Instantly?

Seeing how those exact people always complain abot "no content", despite the obvious fact that no game can have infinite content (as in, handcrafted quests and dungeons etc., obviously it's possible via generated content), and that "end game" is called that because it happens at the end of said content..

Nope, not a good idea to actively support people becoming even faster. Given that it's instanced anyways, it could be possible to allow raiding separate from the normal game. Like PVP is separated in some games (e.g. Guild Wars, where you could create a pure PVP character, or Guild Wars 2, though they actually removed that distinction), one could add a special mode that allows raiding with a newly created character, but all items would have to be character bound or removed (money, resources for crafting?).

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    So, the developers spend a lot of time and money making content and then they give people a way to get past it as quickly as possible. Yeah, that makes sense. 

The answer isn't to give players the option to speed past the content. They either need to make leveling more fun, or get rid of leveling and spend that money on something that actually is fun.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Call Of Duty Bro

Arkade99 said:

The answer isn't to give players the option to speed past the content. They either need to make leveling more fun, or get rid of leveling and spend that money on something that actually is fun.
    If they cannot make leveling fun for a long time, but can make it fun for a short time (for example, good scripted non-repeatable quests) ... they should not have long leveling time. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Progression does not have to be the total game.  Most progression is superficial grind anyways.  You're replacing 20 hp 20 mana 20 stamina with 200 hp 200 mana 200 stamina.  Power A1 with Power A5.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited December 2015

Wrong, all wrong !

Developers set the pace of leveling depending on how much content they have for the game.  No choice, it doesn't have anything to do with the players wants !

All recent mmos are fast leveling because of hardly any content.  Players get to end game faster because of less content, not because they asked for it !

Sure many players can reach end at an accelerated rate ( some faster than others )  but they are not asking for it.

What your asking for can only be done in Old School mmos, where quality and content were the norm.  Quality for its time (1999, 2004 You know back in its time )