Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wild West MMO

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
Where is it?
you know, Americania, Old West, Wild West, Cowboys and Indians you know...where the ....is it already!

settle land, find mines, create a town, trade routes, horse thieves, steam engine inventions and maybe even mystery beats..come on! you know CowboyPunk.

what the hell already..

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    edited November 2015
    Red Dead Online? I'd play it.

Closest thing I can think of is Fallen Earth, but that's post-apocalyptic.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Ironically FE is exactly what I have been 're-playing' this weekend which made me think of the subject again.

Red Dead I fear would likely not have any of the features I mentioned. It would likely be a story driven linear MMO. I am not trying to pew pew the post its just Red Dead as the MMO i have in mind makes my skin crawl.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    I can't figure out what it is I do not like about westerns.  They have so much in common with other things I do like - there are heroes, villains, weapons and competitions of skill, a dangerous environment.  Hell, you take a western and paint in a scifi skin and that is a movie I will enjoy.  Take a western and repaint it as a medieval epic and I want to watch it.

Anyways, I do not know if there are other people like me and that is limiting the potential customer base, or if maybe you know exactly what it is that I don't get about westerns, but damn I wish I understood it.
    Baitness said:
    I can't figure out what it is I do not like about westerns.  They have so much in common with other things I do like - there are heroes, villains, weapons and competitions of skill, a dangerous environment.  Hell, you take a western and paint in a scifi skin and that is a movie I will enjoy.  Take a western and repaint it as a medieval epic and I want to watch it.

Anyways, I do not know if there are other people like me and that is limiting the potential customer base, or if maybe you know exactly what it is that I don't get about westerns, but damn I wish I understood it.
    perhaps. 
    I also dont know how the genre goes internationally. It is specific to America which might affect decisions on the subject. plus anything with Native Americans can get legally dicey one has to be careful on that front

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    SEANMCAD said:

Ironically FE is exactly what I have been 're-playing' this weekend which made me think of the subject again.

Red Dead I fear would likely not have any of the features I mentioned. It would likely be a story driven linear MMO. I am not trying to pew pew the post its just Red Dead as the MMO i have in mind makes my skin crawl.
    Well of course, Red Dead would need a lot more features to make it an MMO, but it's a good jumping off point, and pretty much the ONLY popular Western franchise in gaming.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    edited November 2015
    It would have to appeal to multiple markets, people who like Westerns and Video games are a rare breed, even Red Dead didnt sell as well as they hoped (although it did break even for Rockstar).

I say give us a brutal permadeath open world western, with the ability to be a pinkerton, an outlaw, or native american, and build settlements and trade routes, with a real player based economy and justice system...
    It would have to appeal to multiple markets, people who like Westerns and Video games are a rare breed, even Red Dead didnt sell as well as they hoped (although it did break even for Rockstar).

I say give us a brutal permadeath open world western, with the ability to be a pinkerton, an outlaw, or native american, and build settlements and trade routes, with a real player based economy and justice system...
    I like it, other than the brutal death part. I work for a living I get enough stress as it is.

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    no merica no
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    edited November 2015
    "Every Player is the Hero," taken to its ultimate level.

Make it a one-perma-death-ever survival game.

And then make the quick-draw speed subject to internet lag and/or other randomizing factors, then sit back with your popcorn and listen to the howls.
  • falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Would love to play a wild west mmo. But think, like mentioned by others before, would not happen. Just lots of no no topics on the horizon. Native americans on nr 1, but also the North against South war seeing how the flag used by the South gets banned suddenly. If the mmo will be placed in the South do you enter the Mexicans in the game or not?
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Westerns are rare even in single player games. What make anyone think that it will be viable for MMOs?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Westerns are rare even in single player games. What make anyone think that it will be viable for MMOs?
    Not the first time this idea has been raised about Western based MMO's, but i think that the points raised where they weren't particularly successful as even Single player games is fairly cogent, without demand its extremely unlikely to drive interest in developing a Western based MMO, its not like MMO's are that easy to develop in the first place, or that they aren't also a huge financial risk. Western based MMO's, frankly, never going to happen.
    Phry said:
    Not the first time this idea has been raised about Western based MMO's, but i think that the points raised where they weren't particularly successful as even Single player games is fairly cogent, without demand its extremely unlikely to drive interest in developing a Western based MMO, its not like MMO's are that easy to develop in the first place, or that they aren't also a huge financial risk. Western based MMO's, frankly, never going to happen.
    and this logic is exactly why the last few years indie games have been completly dominating.

There are 2 'mainstream games' that are of this genre. That is not really enough games to form a baseline statistic off of.

That said, this mentality is exactly why AAA games produce the same game over and over and over again for decades because until someone in his apartment creates the next new 'Doom' (game that hasnt even been created before) then the bean counters are going to say there isnt demand. Only problem is you cant measure demand without supply

SEANMCAD said:
     Only problem is you cant measure demand without supply
    You can. You haven't heard of surveys and focus groups?

Sure, you cannot measure it as well as having actual test products, but it is also wrong to say you cannot measure it at all. 
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    There was a thread about this a long time ago. The way a western would work is if it went along the lines of Deadlands and "Weird West". Essentially instead of the Gold Rush they found a mineral "Ghost Rock" that has tons of spiritual and scientific properties. Native American's have unleashed the spirits of old and they now roam free "out of control". ect

Red Dead Revolver/Redemption was a popular game. Deadlands has always had a RPG following. Tie in the whole Weird War genera. It might be doable, but the company producing it is going to have to expect slow growth and development, kind of how Eve is still hanging around. This is not going to be a AAA moneymaker, it is going to be a slow and steady sleeper hit that if supported could be extremely popular!
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm your huckleberry.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2015
    there is this ...........  https://www.the-west.net/

otherwise you will never see a Old West themed MMOrpg , for to many politcally correct reasons , altho i think they are complete hogwash myself , and i am an American Indian and would like to see a properly done Western themed MMOrpg , it will never happen
    SEANMCAD said:
     Only problem is you cant measure demand without supply
    You can. You haven't heard of surveys and focus groups?

Sure, you cannot measure it as well as having actual test products, but it is also wrong to say you cannot measure it at all. 
    which clearly dont work very well.

Why do you think H1Z1 was created? surveys? nope. A direct response to the success of Early Access titles.

big companies dont do anything new until an indie does.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I'd support this game if it was made.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Scorchien said:

otherwise you will never see a Old West themed MMO , for to many politcally correct reasons , altho i think they are complete hogwash myself , and i am an American Indian and would like to see a properly done Western themed MMO , it will never happen
    Although there is a recent Western tactical RPG called Hard West. In fact, it was just released a week or so ago. It is an indie effort though.

So western is not 100% dead ... only may be 99% :p
    Scorchien said:

otherwise you will never see a Old West themed MMO , for to many politcally correct reasons , altho i think they are complete hogwash myself , and i am an American Indian and would like to see a properly done Western themed MMO , it will never happen
    Although there is a recent Western tactical RPG called Hard West. In fact, it was just released a week or so ago. It is an indie effort though.

Hard West is Not an MMOrpg , by any strecth of the imgination now is it .. i did say MMO.... reading comprhension
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Hard West is Not an MMOrpg , by any strecth of the imgination now is it .. i did say MMO.... reading comprhension
    step back and think about what you are saying.

a wild west MMO will not happen becuase of polical reasons but an old west tactical game will?

resolve that please

yes .. no need to step back ..
    Scorchien said:
    yes .. no need to step back ..
    ok..yeah that makes zero sense.

an MMO is polically sensitive but a tactical game is not.

yeah your going to need to expand on that a bit

• Vada_GVada_G Member UncommonPosts: 85
    As much as my L'Amour loving self wants an indie company to do this right, I can't imagine what the legal fees would look like.