Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old school MMORPGS?

felyxfelyx Member UncommonPosts: 34
I started playing mmorpgs 15-16 years ago, maybe even earlier I cant really remember. My first game was The Knight Online Worlds, a real hardcore korean grinder but hell I enjoyed it a lot. I tried a lof of games after that but to be completely honest the only game I fully enjoyed since then was Lineage 2, and oh boy did I enjoy it a lot. Anyways both of those games are pretty dated and I gave into the hype i tried countless new themeparks including WoW, Lotr, WildStar, TESO and so on but I just keep getting back to the same feeling, I want something like in the old days when I played those above mentioned games. I am looking every day for games like that and im not neccessarily looking to grind all day every day, I have a job and family now but I want a good old fashioned game, medieval settings or at least something that doesnt have space monkeys in it. Its really hard to explain, but no new mmorpg made me feel as immersed into the world as L2 did for example... Is there anything like that around atm that you could recommend?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    My first is Kingdom of Drakkar, which is a over-20-years-old game.

And nope .. i would not recommend old games. Modern games are a lot more enjoyable, to me, than really old MMOs. 
  • felyxfelyx Member UncommonPosts: 34

And nope .. i would not recommend old games. Modern games are a lot more enjoyable, to me, than really old MMOs. 
    I can respect that but I really dont enjoy them.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Project Gorgon
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    try Tree of Savior, it will be out in 2016.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited November 2015

A lot of us are waiting for Pantheon.  It's in development as Old School, as a kickstarter and is not having a Cash Shop. It will have a somewhat EQ, EQ2, Vanguard feel to the game.....I think will start having an alpha / bata play sometime in 2016.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    You'll never recapture the feeling of playing your first MMORG.  I dabbled in one or two early games, then settled on EQ and I played that for 3 or 4 years, constantly. I loved it to bits.

As happened,  I eventually moved on, and when EQ became FTP I downloaded it again and fired up my old characters... and the game stank.  I was quite shocked it felt so bad, and I deleted it within an hour.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am a former L2 player also and I can say for sure that there is no game out like L2. If you want something that has an old school feel and has depth to it then I say try Age Of Wushu. One of the most underrated mmos out. 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The problem is if you played mmo's back then you will never get back what you felt. It was a new genre and it was exciting to be a part of it. Only true computer geeks played mmo's back then. Now any jerkoff with an internet connection can play and the market is flooded with them. I know how you feel man.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited November 2015

OP asked for old school game recommendations, does it really matter that you enjoy modern games more?
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited November 2015
    I have kind of a similar history, my first mmorpg being Asheron's Call 1. I can only tell you that the last mmo I truly enjoyed playing was "Uncharted Waters Online". But of course tastes vary, and UWO is about a 7 year old mmorpg itself*. So...

(*I played UWO a couple of years ago, and really only quit because I was tired one night and accidentally managed to delete an important part of my character build. And was so disgusted that I just couldn't stand the thought of starting all over again.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncharted_Waters_Online

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Just to note that we have not announced any rule changes after the poll we ran, so please don't bring up private servers. I've removed a few posts with these. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    DMKano said:
    Amana said:
    Just to note that we have not announced any rule changes after the poll we ran, so please don't bring up private servers. I've removed a few posts with these. 

Even private servers that are 100% recognized as ok by the original Dev studio?
    Apparently not.

Sorry Amana. I will try to behave myself better from now on.
    Well I would like to start off my saying thank you to everyone who was kind enough to answer. I know I wont get back that feeling ever but my issue is that there is just no decent mmos out there for ppl like me. I dont like the carebear word but I have to agree that mmorpgs nowadays are all about casual players and carebears and that saddens me a lot. I will take a look at Tree Of Saviours and the other games you guys mentioned thank you.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    edited November 2015
    Check out Eldevin. it's not pretty but has an old school feeling to it. It says browser based but you can download the game client on Steam.

edited November 2015
    Well I am looking for something like L2, a lot of ppl said Black Desert is pretty similiar to it and also there is Lineage Eternal but that one did not convince me to be honest. ArcheAge...well cash shop/TRION ruined it in my opinion and I always had that odd feeling that something isnt right with that game so meh.
    edited November 2015
    DMKano said:
    felyx said:
    Well I am looking for something like L2, a lot of ppl said Black Desert is pretty similiar to it and also there is Lineage Eternal but that one did not convince me to be honest. ArcheAge...well cash shop/TRION ruined it in my opinion and I always had that odd feeling that something isnt right with that game so meh.

Anyone who tells you that Black Desert is like L2 is on crack.
    That was kinda my first thought aswell :D That being said I did not even play the game yet just saw some streams so...
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I feel before it is gone forever ,everyone should have played FFXI even though you'll never get back vanilla FFXI because the game has changed a lot to allow soloing.I also played L2,i did not like the focus on pvp and the botting drove me nuts.It was ok but i enjoyed FFXI a ton more.
    I first tried EQOA did not like it at all,EQ1 again didn't seem very good to me but perhaps i was entrenched in shooter games idk.I was  shown other FF games by a friend and i was hooked.Then he said they were releasing a mmorpg and i was in for sure.

Since that time ,i more enjoyed EQ2 as the best linear questing game,then i also enjoyed Vanguard for a few things it added to the genre.Everything else has been imo worse game designs with FFXIV at least giving us some nice  graphics.

I do not see anything out there right now but there is some hope to the future with perhaps Pantheon or Chronicles or a couple other games in the works.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I would try FFXI but I just dont play any mmorpgs without any meaningful pvp, whats even better if there is open world PvP, I kinda like the risk involved.