Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So far not impressed ( and I am easy to impress).

iemckinnoniemckinnon Member UncommonPosts: 1
I bought ESO last night for my wife and I to try out, and to be honest, I am about to try and demand a refund. Or just give it up as wasted money.  Not sure it is worth suing them for as their TOS is ironclad even against lemon laws.
We are both vets of MMORPGs, but just the install of DL version of ESO is one of the more painful I have experienced since the 80s.
I am on my SEVENTH download of a 30GB file, that is painfully slow.  I have not been able to even successfully install the game on my Mac.
My wife on her PC took two tries downloading.
Now I will point out that I have NEVER had a problem installing any other MMO, or even Elder Scrolls on Steam.  My internet is good and solid with a 50Mbps download.  Right now on my EIGTH attempt at instlaling, I am at about 2.83 Mbps.
If this does not work, I am done with ESO.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    How's your wife feel, since she has actually played?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    You can just copy the folder from one computer to another if you were lucky to get it downloaded on one of the machines faster..

The launcher is abysmally broken, you can make a shortcut ...\game\client\eso.exe to run the game directly since the launcher tends to lock up and keeps re-downloading the game over and over.

Unfeasiblly low donwlod speed is the only reason why I keep ESO on my HDD - I am getting 170kB/s...
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Decided to buy ESO when we got the Black Friday discount on Steam. Downloaded at 1.8Mb/s, which is max speed on my connection. First it downloaded just below 20 gigs, then installed it, and then downloaded patches, which took about the same time as the first download.

Not a single problem with it. Garbage game, and I regret buying it, but that's a different story.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    consider yourself lucky

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I wouldn't be too sure about your ip either,they will throttle your bandwidth if they don't like your usage.

I caught mine doing it and when i called,they played dumb,saying it was against the law,well it is no longer against the law,so imagine how quick they will be to rip people off.

Also the whole purpose of CDN is to make it better,faster so if that doesn't do it then no way in hell would it be any better any other way.Even still the problem is the communication still has to begin at the main server,so it calls for  a request.How it is handled after that idk,perhaps TESO is requesting a constant communication feed back n forth,eliminating the whole purpose of a CDN.

The whole purpose of CDN is to redirect traffic to the closest possible download,so it's not like everyone is d/l ing from the same server,unless like i said they have it setup badly.

As to the game,if  you are an easy sell and didn't like it,imagine how it would be to me ,i am NOT an easy sell.

I have avoided this game for a reason,i don't consider Bethesda to be all that amazing to be honest.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yeah. What impresses me most about a game is how fast it DLs 

It's why I've been playing ESO for almost 2 years: my CDN DLs are ultra fast. A full 50 Mbps always. Highly recommended!

:)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Mouloxtos85Mouloxtos85 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    The title of this thread is misleading.. You mention no actual feedback or impressions of the game , at least gamewise, yet you are quick enough to judge it by a technical problem that might not even be Zenimax's fault. I am doing devil's advocate here because even I didn't / don't have problems with the download or update of the game and I am residing in Greece (where internet condition is 3rd world's countries condition).
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's not a bad game the problem seems to be with testing and bug fixing.  After all this time there should be little to no launcher problems or slow loading screens yet they exist and even reoccur with major updates.  This drives a lot of people away.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    In my opinion it is the best AAA mmo on the market right now.  To totally blacklist the game and company because you cannot download it, is as tad absurd. 
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Yep, the game is a complete pile of steaming crap, but it downloaded fast for me so I am a huge fan. Sometimes I remove it and redownload it, just to watch it's awesome download speed.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I've not experience any issues with ESO in regards to downloading and patching. It has a lot of other problems, but the download/installation doesn't seem to be one for me. I'm sure it's not the only time a connection issue was brought up, but I can't help but think your issue is an isolated one.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Every other MMO I played I click the hard drive to download the game to.  It creates the folder and downloads the game.  ESO downloaded to the correct driver correctly but erased everything else on the drive. I lose all my Skyrim mods since they were on the same hard drive.  Still trying to figure how to get them all back. No other game has done this to me.  There was a thread about this happening to many others also.

I played briefly and debating about trying to get back in to the game. Yes, finally got it downloaded and most of the lost games back on the hard drive.  I keep hearing Orsinium is amazing so maybe I will give it a serious try this time.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Weird, I've probably redownloaded this game 20 times since launch, last time was a week ago, and I never had any issues like this.
  • GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Weird, I've probably redownloaded this game 20 times since launch, last time was a week ago, and I never had any issues like this.
    Same here. Three machines on different connections (also I play from Argentina).
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Purchased 3 copies with the sale for a friend, my wife, and myself. My wife and I were up and running in like 6 hours. That includes making sure all drivers were up to date on both comps as well. (friggen Win 10 update was making things a pain, but hey)

Waiting on confirmation from my friend as I just gifted the game across Steam for her. I'm guessing that she will get to in tomorrow as it was late when she started everything.
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Never had technical issues with it.....can't get into it at all though.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I bought the game for the Alliance vs Alliance feature. Biggest mistake I've made in a long while.I won't buy any of the companies products now.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    You are the victim of BFO (Black Friday Overload).  The same problem arose during initial release and for months after, but they fixed all of that.  The demand for the game was quite high, and it took a while before things settled down.

I did a reinstall of the game about a month ago on a crispy clean SSD, and I was playing within 30 minutes.  Just a regular Comcast connection, nothing special...  Apparently Steam's offering put nearly as much load on the patching server as initial release did.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    If you are already disappointed wait until you get to play it.
    If you liked Skyrim don't get your expectations too high, just saying.

• ESO_LAGESO_LAG Member UncommonPosts: 59
    The game is unplayable in it's current state if you enjoy PvP

@iemckinnon

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

The game is in an unplayable state if you enjoy playing decent games.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    ESO_LAG said:
    The game is unplayable in it's current state if you enjoy PvP

@iemckinnon

That's ok. I'm going to PvP about as much as I did in the other Elder Scolls games. Possibly a tiny bit more. 
    yes I know it is not Skyrim. Well Skyrim was not morrowind so no skin lost
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    There is no way to get any MMORPG online game to be like Skyrim. But that is the one thing Zenimax did great in my opinion. They got as close as they could which was an undertaking in itself. Plus I always said ESO was made for role playing. 
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Bought this again in the steam sale, downloaded no problems for me, then started the launcher and that installed and downloaded no problems.

I did play this game back in beta, and thought i would give it a go, and whilst im only level 9 am actually enjoying it, considering how much i couldn't stand it during beta :), personally the only problems ive found is the locking up, but only the screen locking up, weird thing is the game is going on behind me , music plays, i can even hear people fighting behind my locked screen.
    I have put this down to one of the addons causing it, but sometimes i can play solid 4-6 hours without a lock up, so not a big deal breaker.
    I have no idea what im doing, but enjoying it, might have to jump in a try and find a few guilds to help me both trade and understand what im doing lol :)
    But all in i think its a solid game, far better than some dross thats out there

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Mhhhhh you are saying that you don't know what your doing, that means they are scrapped the quest hubs?
    Because if they havent then it is pretty easy to understand what to do.
    Go to village one, complete all quests, then move a bit south and move to village 2, complete all quest, rinse and repeat until you get to level cap.
    That's the reason why I quit it basically.

So if you are saying they have scrapped the quest hubs, I will be more than happy to give it another go.
    But I am pretty confident they didn't.