Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any chance Daybreak gives us a Vanguard server ....

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
  Title , and would you be interested in playing it again ,  and of course , did Daybreak get the IP with its SOE purchase .. ?

I would for sure really miss Telon

Comments

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    edited November 2015
    Well i have the old Vanguard Saga of Heroes DVD's somewhere abouts i think (unless i have thrown it out when the servers shut off).

But aye, i may be interested to go on one if it popped up. Highly unlikely though to happen.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Doubtful. As it is, they're starting to trim the fat, they just shut down Dragon's Prophet.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    I can't see Daybreak under new management bringing back anything that doesn't guarantee profit.

Your best bet is the Vanguard emu server that's in the works. They are making pretty good progress.

http://vgoplayers.com/index.php

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I could go for a VG server but not quite as is.
    I actually never much liked SOE design styles,too much doesn't make sense to me.
    It is quite simple what i want,a wide open ended game,no questing for xp,diversified crafting,not just tiers of 1-10 and 11-20 etc etc.I also do not want altaholic gaming,i want one player top learn everything with plausible limitations.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Like all the above would be on it in a flash, but I doubt it will happen.

• jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    This will happen.  I understand my 19 year old cat is going to start flying too :)

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Vanguard was dead to the extent of basically being unplayable when I tried it more than six years ago.  Once I was looking into trying to get a group for a dungeon, and there were exactly five people online within five levels of me on the entire server.  Even so, SOE kept the game up for several years after that, before mercifully putting the game out of its misery.  I don't think you could reasonably ask for the game to stay up any longer than that, let alone bring it back now.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Quizzical said:
    Vanguard was dead to the extent of basically being unplayable when I tried it more than six years ago.  Once I was looking into trying to get a group for a dungeon, and there were exactly five people online within five levels of me on the entire server.  Even so, SOE kept the game up for several years after that, before mercifully putting the game out of its misery.  I don't think you could reasonably ask for the game to stay up any longer than that, let alone bring it back now.
    This. As much as they may have been redeeming Vanguard everyone knew the game was being run by a skeleton crew at SOE. There was no updates for years, then randomly they made it F2P and started updating it again. But even after that the population was still so low that when I went around on the server I saw maybe one other person. It wasn't populated enough to justify keeping up, it wasn't populated enough to even justify a rerelease to try to bring back people. Everyone always talked about it, talked about playing it, but I just never saw those people online. They were always on forums complaining about the lack of support for the game. 
  • lukezlukez Member UncommonPosts: 27
    played Vanguard for a long time till the servers eventually were shut down it was a beautiful but also horrible game it had a lot of depth and also a lot of bugs some of which were never adressed or fixed...
    but didn't SOE like with all their games say they lost the source code? wasn't that the reason they could never go back before NGE in SW:G too?
    lukez said:
    played Vanguard for a long time till the servers eventually were shut down it was a beautiful but also horrible game it had a lot of depth and also a lot of bugs some of which were never adressed or fixed...
    but didn't SOE like with all their games say they lost the source code? wasn't that the reason they could never go back before NGE in SW:G too?
    While I don't recall seeing the explanation, it's extremely unlikely that they'd lose the source code outright.  It would take a staggering amount of ineptitude it would take for a professional development studio not to use a version control system with plenty of backups.

What's far more likely is that it's a database problem.  If you do an update that adds new stuff, and then a month later you'd like to revert it, you basically can't unless you're willing to roll back to before the update happened.  Telling people that everything they've done for the last month doesn't count and is going to be erased isn't going to go over well.  Even rolling back by hours is problematic and companies really, really don't like to do it unless basically forced to.
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    edited November 2015
    I would love this but probably not... But you never know it seems there really money hungry atm I mean look at all these weird server types for eq and eq2 now a new no boxing server.

I mean if my eyes could roll any harder into the back of my head I would probably pass out.......

Your best bet is to contact Daybreak and let them know your interested I have and I'm sure others have also maybe if they see there is enough interest you never know..... They either will or they wont but doesn't hurt to try.....
  • Xeno.phonXeno.phon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    If you get 5m sigs on a petition I am sure they would look into it, just have to prove interest really.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    edited November 2015
    I would play again, I loved VG.

But a Vanguard server would probably just cut into their EQ and EQ2 customer base, there is no advantage for them to do it.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Xeno.phon said:
    If you get 5m sigs on a petition I am sure they would look into it, just have to prove interest really.
    I highly doubt even sigs will work. If you have $5M to offer them, that is another story. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited November 2015
    well no one thought we would see an EQ2 TLE server or an EQ (1999)one ( they just announced this ) they seem to listen to the community so maybe they may open 1 in the future

Xeno.phon said:
    I highly doubt even sigs will work. If you have $5M to offer them, that is another story. 
    I think the most likely way that Vanguard gets brought back is for someone to offer Daybreak a bunch of money to license the game and run it themselves.  For a sufficiently large amount of money, if all Daybreak has to do is to accept the money and let the other company run everything, they'd go for it.  It's really only a question of how much is "sufficiently large".

The better question there, though, is why would anyone pay to license Vanguard?
  • MwahahaMwahaha Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I'd play again, sure miss my bloodmage.

Played:  EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, WAR, WoW, LoTRO, CoX, CO, GW2, FFXIV: ARR, AoC, Rift, TSW, SWTOR, TERA, BnS, ESO

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Dullahan said:
    I can't see Daybreak under new management bringing back anything that doesn't guarantee profit.

Your best bet is the Vanguard emu server that's in the works. They are making pretty good progress.

http://vgoplayers.com/index.php
    Very nice. I was unaware of this. Labors of love like this give me hope in humanity.
    -Chuckles
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    AS i usually do i pay attention to other players and what they are saying in game.

My gut truly tells me that what i witnessed were a lot of players who really did not want to be in the game,they were basically looking for an excuse to get out.

I actually witnessed players fall through the world then throw a hissy fit and quit.Geesus i fell through the world as well,it was not the end of the world,if you can't handle something that minute,you had better never raise kids into this world.

Then one of the classes,i believe it was the Rogue was messed up,somehow it was incredibly o/p and eventually got fixed/nerfed what you want to call it.Well those that had it easy mode with a messed up class were all again angry they couldn't keep the o/p class/character.So instead of wanting a good solid game with no bugs in the classes,people wanted to be special ,o/p and selfish.

So yeah i saw a lot of things and people were like instantly "I am going back to Wow" or i am going back to whatever game.Zero patience,all wanted it easy mode,imo people who don't belong in a mmorpg.I enjoyed the game,i liked it even past the buggy state,only reason i left was because the servers became dead and i am sure that is the same reason many others left.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    I would come back to VG in a heart beat. Unfortunately, they will never reopen the game. It doesn't have the player base to make it profitable.  
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    The Vanguard EMU is the best bet.   Perhaps this will finish one day.