Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transparency in Forum Moderation

l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
edited November 2015 in Site Suggestions
Can we have a little more transparency in forum moderation?
Sometimes it seems like mods just ban or suspend people or close threads simply because they had a bad day or because someone posts something that doesn't jive with a mod's political beliefs or MMO playstyle.

How about an area where all moderation actions are listed. Perhaps even have an area where site users can upvote or downvote moderation actions as a way to keep abuse in check. Any open discussion about forum moderations usually gets closed down and the user is told to PM someone which we all know will get nowhere.

Comments

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Welcome to a privately run board.
  • scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    l2avism said:
    Sometimes it seems like mods just ban or suspend people or close threads simply because they had a bad day or because someone posts something that doesn't jive with a mod's political beliefs or MMO playstyle.

How about an area where all moderation actions are listed. Perhaps even have an area where site users can upvote or downvote moderation actions as a way to keep abuse in check. Any open discussion about forum moderations usually gets closed down and the user is told to PM someone which we all know will get nowhere.
    Someone recently replied to me saying "those who make the rules can break the rules", pretty much how it is.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    scorpex-x said:
    Someone recently replied to me saying "those who make the rules can break the rules", pretty much how it is.
    Can the someone who made this text editor, break this text editor?  Please?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    scorpex-x said:
    l2avism said:

I have always thought it would be good to put a name next to any mod action.  If it's one guy/gal that is always hitting someone as opposed to a range of moderators that would be interesting to know.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• l2avisml2avism Member UncommonPosts: 386
    scorpex-x said:
    l2avism said:

Yes, but those who make the rules are paid from advertisers who are paid from the customers who happen to visit the site.
    Piss off the customers, they'll communicate their discontent to the advertisers who will in turn stop advertising on the site that broke the rules.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    scorpex-x said:
    And it pretty much applies to this site's technical funtionality, too.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    l2avism said:

Not at all true, I've PM'd MikeB on multiple occasions, resulting in moderators posting why a thread is closed, re-opening threads, getting a moderation action taken off of me (more often than not).

If you are in the right, he generally will deal fairly with you.  Trouble is most people don't realize/accept when they are really in the wrong, and think they have more "rights" here than they do.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

l2avism said:
    scorpex-x said:
    l2avism said:

Yes, but those who make the rules are paid from advertisers who are paid from the customers who happen to visit the site.
    Piss off the customers, they'll communicate their discontent to the advertisers who will in turn stop advertising on the site that broke the rules.
    Er no, that is not at all how it really works, your only real communication vehicle is to not visit the site.

Heck, over 50% of visitors use adblock, so they are pretty much dead weight freeloaders who would be better off blocked from access.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Kyleran said:
    l2avism said:
    scorpex-x said:
    l2avism said:

Er no, that is not at all how it really works, your only real communication vehicle is to not visit the site.

Heck, over 50% of visitors use adblock, so they are pretty much dead weight freeloaders who would be better off blocked from access.

And why would you not run adblock when the site runs 40+ adware and malware scripts? I rather not risk getting infected by some shady malware tracking script.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Kyleran said:
    l2avism said:
    scorpex-x said:
    l2avism said:

And why would you not run adblock when the site runs 40+ adware and malware scripts? I rather not risk getting infected by some shady malware tracking script.
    Your fear betrays you. 

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    As a person who has been silenced, send an email to [email protected], explain the situation and he'll come back.  @MikeB has been even in the past.  Sometimes I was deserving (well the person on the other end of my lashing probably deserved it as well), sometimes not.  

Making a topic about it is just doomed to have the topic closed because it's in the Terms/Rules.

And honestly, how often do you see people go crazy in here?  Most times the mods just lock a topic, explain why, and move on.  I seriously doubt they are aggressive towards you in particular.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Kyleran said:

Your fear betrays you. 

You think?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    As a guy that has had his fair share of warnings, and a ban or two I can tell you; If you have a legit case and take it to the mods they will talk to you.  You may not always like the answer they give you, but it will be a legitimate answer.  

I got a ban overthrown when I took my side of the case to a moderator and had him review the details, that time it worked.  The rest of the time, I pretty much earned my time out.

Sometimes the moderators are just trying to stop a crap storm before it gets rolling.  I wish they would do it with the almost daily Star Citizen threads, but to be fair some of them (SC threads) actually have good information in them.  Very few, but some.  Over all I think this site is pretty fairly moderated.  Again, coming from a guy that has had several run-ins with several mods.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    No; publicly listing all mod actions is begging for a reason to debate and criticize the decisions of people that are trying to help. Most of the time what those actions are is pretty apparent, anyway.  Consider that if you had an administrative action taken against you, it was most likely for your benefit.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Kyleran said:

Your fear betrays you. 

You think?

Not one of those gets thru my viral and anti spam protection, either at work or one of 4 home computers.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Too much transparency demands, and you might find yourself going the way of the dodo.

I like brief summary of TOS I saw on RPS (?) forums the other day - "Iron fist of infinite tyranny". Short and to the point.
     W...aaagh?